Card of the Week 21: 5/21/13 - 5/28/13

63 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

5/21/13 - 5/27/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Last week, Libe and tyranno6, friends in life and fantasy card creation, put together this winning duo:

Rubbleridge Excavator

Creature -- Goblin Scout
When Rubbleridge Excavator enters the battlefield, put a treasure counter on target land you control.
: Choose a land you control at random and destroy it. If that land has a treasure counter on it, draw three cards.
2/2
-----
Kindling Elemental —
Creature — Elemental
When you add to your mana pool, sacrifice Kindling Elemental.
Witches make them in the form of great merchants, then turn them to cinders if a deal goes south.
3/3

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3
-----
2/5/13 - 2/11/13 Detektor

Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?
-----
2/12/13 - 2/18/13 turnip_song; Arazlam; SimpleDreams

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.
-----
2/26/13 - 3/4/13 Arazlam

Timithy Spirit |
Creature - Spirit Illusion - (C)
Timithy Spirit can't attack or block unless it has another ability.
2/2
-----
3/5/13 - 3/11/13 Kavu_Overlord

Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1
-----
3/12/13 - 3/18/13 HairlessThoctar; febbstalicious42; Rush_Clasic

Cruel Mercy

Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a card revealed this way. That player discards another card.

Iridescent Anchor -- 
Creature - Spirit Illusion
As long as Iridescent Anchor is not a card, it gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof.
A successful wizard has the power to make his dreams real. A wise wizard fears to.
2/3

Social Studies
Sorcery
Each player who controls a creature with trample draws a card. Repeat this process for deathtouch, defender, flash, haste, hexproof, intimidate, landwalk, reach, and vigilance.
"What measure is the knowledge of a single mind versus that of the whole world?"
- Ro, Wirewood shaman

-----
3/19/13 - 3/25/13 by 3-7-15-1-292

Heroic Stand 
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."
-----
3/26/13 - 4/1/13 by Detektor

Scale Sprite 
Creature - Insect Faerie
Flying
Scale Sprite deals damage to creatures in the form of size counters. (Creatures with size counters on them are X/X, where X is the number of size counters on them.)
"What size do you want to be?" it asked.
"Oh, I'm not particular as to size," Alice hastily replied; "only one doesn't like changing so often, you know."

1/1
-----
4/2/13 - 4/8/13 by magicpablo666

Sketch 
Enchantment
Sketch enters the battlefield as a copy of target creature, except that it is not a creature.

"What exactly am I looking at here?" 
- Pola Reiszen, Master Instructiore
-----
4/9/13 - 4/15/13 by ParadOxymoron

Converting Bosk
Land (C)
(p), : Choose one—Add to your mana pool; or you gain 2 life.
-----
4/16/13 - 4/22/13 by HairlessThoctar

Ill Tidings

Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.
-----
4/23/13 - 4/29/13 by Detektor; Echo_Robin

Kingside Knight 
Creature - Knight
First strike, protection from black
Coin flips and subgames are played in the form of chess.
Sworn to keep the darkness in check.
2/2

Shrieking-Grave Zubera |
Creature - Zubera Spirit
When ~ dies, if 4 or more damage was dealt to it this turn, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3
-----
4/30/13 - 5/6/13 by Libe

Spell Shatter

Instant (U)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays two mana of different colors.
-----
5/7/13 - 5/13/13 by Echo_Robin

Fateseeker |
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Play with the top four cards of your library revealed.
When the total converted mana cost of the top four cards of your library is 21, you win the game.
2/2
-----
5/14/13 - 5/21/13 by Libe and tyranno6

Rubbleridge Excavator

Creature -- Goblin Scout
When Rubbleridge Excavator enters the battlefield, put a treasure counter on target land you control.
: Choose a land you control at random and destroy it. If that land has a treasure counter on it, draw three cards.
2/2

Kindling Elemental —
Creature — Elemental
When you add to your mana pool, sacrifice Kindling Elemental.
Witches make them in the form of great merchants, then turn them to cinders if a deal goes south.
3/3

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate up to two cards a week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations for 5/14/13 - 5/20/13
Galvanic Staff

Artifact -- Equipment (U) 
: Galvanic Staff deals 1 damage to target creature or player. If Galvanic Staff is equipped to a creature, it deals 3 damage to that creature or player instead.
Equip

by Libe
-----
Sybaritic Masochist 
Creature - Human Berserker
Haste
At the beginning of each upkeep, ~ deals 3 damage to itself.
Oh, it hurts so good!
4/4

by Silly_Dragons
-----
Hat Trick
Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant permanent
Enchanted permanent has all of Hat Trick's abilities other than enchant permanent.
: Enchanted permanent becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant permanent. Attach it to target permanent. (It's no longer its other types. This effect lasts indefinitely.) 
Each object the hat touched became a hat of its own. Vazzle grinned. Soon his hatstack would be tallest in the kingdom.

by Steinhauser
-----
Abyssal Inspiration -
Sorcery (R)
Your life total becomes equal to 7. Draw a card for each 3 life gained or lost this way.

by Ephemeron
-----
Lotus Garden
Land
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast green spells or activate abilities of green permanents. 

by HairlessThoctar
-----
Alpha's Assertion |
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature you control
Creatures you control get +1/+1, haste, and trample.
Creatures you control can't attack unless enchanted creature attacks.
Creatures you control can't block unless enchanted creature blocks.

by Tekkahedron
-----
Keldon Strategist -
Creature - Advisor Berserker
Double Strike
Whenever Keldon Strategist attacks, draw a card.
Whenever Keldon Strategist deals combat damage to a player, discard a card.
When the wizard suddenly appeared right in front of his double-axe, he quickly scrapped his elaborate battle plan.
2/3

by cats_and_me
-----
Questionable Ethics 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
When enchanted creature dies, draw a card for each -1/-1 counter on it.
The gleam in their eyes frightened me more than the pustules ever could.

by Dudibus
-----
Lionheart |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant 1/1 creature
Enchanted creature has double strike, vigilance, lifelink, and protection from black and from red.

by Echo_Robin
-----
Elspeth's Convocation

Sorcery (M)
Choose one -- Put five 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield; or you gain 2 life for each creature you control; or destroy all nontoken creatures. 
If you control Elspeth, you may choose all instead.

by Libe

Nominations for this round and votes for the last one due Monday, May 27th. Week 21. The contest is old enough to drink in Amercia. It's been drunk forever elsewhere.

Is there a reason this week ends next Tuesday at midnight? As opposed to next Monday at midnight?

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Inspiration, Strategist. Both cool designs.
I don't always understand people's noms on this thing.
Hat Trick and Lionheart.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I don't always understand people's noms on this thing.

Hence why there's a vote after nomination.
I don't always understand people's votes on this thing.  Tongue Out
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Cedarcolt Inn
Land
Cedarcolt Inn has the activated abilities of all land cards in all graveyards. 
Cedarcolt's travellers often spoke of their dreams of the past worlds the city was built on.

[The name is an anagram of] Necrotic Land

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Hat Trick, Abyssal Inspiration, and Lionheart.    I think Hat Trick is one that you like more the more you read it — when I first saw it nominated, I didn't like it, but then I had to judge it for Red Rover—the flavour is really cool and it's such a fun Johnny card.
sigh...Masochist and Elspeth...nothing really stood out as really cool, but these two were the most interesting...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I'ma bump this so that it is easier to find. My votes were similar to tyranno's even though they were slightly different.

Hey, look a nomination:

Relieve From Duty 
Instant
Exile target creature until its owner loses life.

What happens if I don't tell you where it came from? Do you just not put it in?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
  Amaroch, Devourer of All Prodigy of Yawgmoth
Planeswalker - Amaroch
When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each of your upkeeps, sacrifice a creature.  If you do not, lose 6 life and you may not activate abilities of ~ until EOT.  
[+3] Put a 3/3 minion creature token onto the battlefield.
[0] Each opponent discards a card.  Each player that cannot sacrifices a land and a nonland permanent.  Repeat this process twice.
[-6] Pay any amount of life.  Draw that many cards
{3}

This one may be a work in progress, I'll update this post if the card is updated

I'ma bump this so that it is easier to find. My votes were similar to tyranno's even though they were slightly different.

Hey, look a nomination:

Relieve From Duty 
Instant

I am the pinnacle of leniency.

Hey, look a nomination:

Relieve From Duty 
Instant

I can verify this.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
1st Nomination:

Defiling Poltergeist
Creature - Spirit
, : Unearth target creature in your graveyard with unearth. Exile Defiling Poltergeist until that creature leaves the battiefield.
A graveyard is a new box of toys for these manevolent spirits.
1/3 

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Kinda sad to see that Keldon Strategist is not winning.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
My designs are never winning, but I prefer comments over participating in competitions anytime! ^-^
Kinda sad to see that Keldon Strategist is not winning.

It started out pretty sttrong. Was neck-in-neck with Questionable Ethics for a good while, then Lionheart just strapped on a rocket and blew past both of them.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

I once heard Akroma, Angel of Wrath described as an inelegant listing of abilities...
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
I don't really like Lionheart, as it seems to be a Timmy card with an extremely anti-Timmy restriction attached.
It's Timmy / Johnny: big, splashy effect with an interesting, flavourful restriction that requires planning to get the most out of.
I don't really like Lionheart, as it seems to be a Timmy card with an extremely anti-Timmy restriction attached.

Or you can just use Johnny : P you know they exist.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Cobra Spirit Guide 
Creature - Snake Spirit
Exile a nonland card from your hand: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool that shares a color with that card.
1/1

from Edacade's contest I might link later if I can be bothered. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
it's Cadaverous Bloom drain life prosperity deck all over again XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

oh good I'm not the only one that noticed that was broken.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Tough to say. Skirge Familiar didn't exactly break Magic in two. But it also cost five mana.
Tough to say.

not really
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Hey, look a nomination:

Relieve From Duty 
Instant

More of a gnetle slope, really.
A lot of mechanically interesting cards this week.
Sybaritic Masochist, Hat Trick and Keldon Strategist ended up getting the nod.

oh good I'm not the only one that noticed that was broken.

I knew it was broken, hence why I didn't include it in my top 5. I might have included it in my top 5 if it had reflected the original two spirit guides' costs. But it would have still been broken and wouldn't have earned a nomination.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Tough to say.

not really

Say it! I dare you.

Abstain the Arcane
Instant
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, it's owner may counter target spell unless that spell's controller pays .
Magic is an intricate web. Pull its threads carefully, you never know where the knots reside.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I'd gauge cobra isn't as broken as people would expect in today's gaming environment, although it's deceptive similar to the way Temporal Mastery was when it got printed. I don't really care to go into detail on why, and I'd stand by 1 mana unless someone were to playtest and find that it completely breaks any existing format. 

Also, it doesn't exile itself from hand like the other spirit guides. It requires being on the battlefield like Cadaverous Bloom. That seemed to make it more reasonable to cost at 1.  I should have probably made note of that to avoid any confusion on how it works. That drawback opens it up for lots of removal, while the spriit guides can easily activate their abilities without being countered. But, I said I wasn't going to get into detail and already have started, but I thought I should at least clarify that.

Also, thanks for the noms Dr. D and Parad. First time I get to run against myself.
Also, it doesn't exile itself from hand like the other spirit guides. It requires being on the battlefield like Cadaverous Bloom. That seemed to make it more reasonable to cost at 1.  I should have probably made note of that to avoid any confusion on how it works. That drawback opens it up for lots of removal, while the spriit guides can easily activate their abilities without being countered.

Being as all the abiltiies are mana abilities, none of them can be countered. Just because the activation cost is exiling something doesn't make it any less of a mana ability.

Also, as it costs 1 to cast, if you're playing first and keep a seven card hand, you drop a forest, drop the snake (five cards left in hand) and can cast a 4 cost card (Bloodbraid Elf being a favorite) all on turn 1. I don't care how many formats Bloodbraid is illegal in, it's still a viable example (as are the other 4 cost Cascade cards and 3 cost Cascade cards)

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Turn one Bloodbraid Elf really isn't all that scary if you have to expend your entire hand to get it. You might just even whiff into another snake.

The potentially scary thing is draw 7 effects. Whispering Madness, Slithermuse and Time Spiral, and if you want to get really cute, Psychic Possession. Ad Nauseam is also pretty solid. It doesn't set up Infernal Tutor as easily as LED, which hinders it somewhat.

You can probably do something funny with Balancing Act too.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm aware of what could be done with it, and I'm fine with people having a problem with that. It just seems there are ways to keep this type of thing in check. I could be wrong, and I am a lot. I try not to be too critical of mana costs as long as it fits accordingly in the low, mid, or high range properly.  I lowballed the cost at 1 because I believe its possible, and anything higher than that I would negotiate higher power/toughness or a secondary ability. I'm not saying that it's not broken, but I wouldn't agree with anybody that would say it's definitley broken. But that's just like, my opinion, man. 
Bloom gives you 2 mana per card which allows you to keep going bigger with draw effects. This gives you about 2/3rd mana per card if you're just drawing straight off the top because a third of your deck will be lands. So it can't work is a bloom style deck. It wouldn't even work with Arcanis the Omnipotent carrying an Umbral Mantle (which the Skirge can do). It would work in my Regal Force + Spitting Image deck, but you would need ten green creatures to get started instead of four like it currently needs.

On the other hand, what if you're just using it as straight up mana acceleration? Cards like Chrome Mox, current spirit guides, and most rituals give -1 card for +1 mana. With this you need to go -3 cards for 1 mana (this guy, one to get back the cost you just spent on him, and one more). Say if you were playing that Balustrade Spy combo deck in Legacy with no lands in it, so almost all your cards can be used by this to make mana, and you go chrome mox into this guy, exile four cards... now your hand is empty and you can't cast the spy. But you could do it if you started on a lotus petal or elvish spirit guide. Giving that deck easier turn 1 wins is not something we really wanna do.

There is also the possibility of playing him, waiting till next turn to get your mana back, then playing something big. In Modern, if you cast him on the first turn, you could get out Deus of Calamity on the second turn (which all-in red used to do sometimes anyway, before the bannings) but only if you have no lands in hand. You could wait till turn 3, but since Modern decks like elves and tron can have tons of mana on turn three anyway, I don't think this would be much worse than them.
My argument is a simple one. 

Magic is a resource management/building game. 
Disproportioned mana ramp will break something. now or later. And it's simply not healthy the the game anyway.

And @ flopfoot, with your awesome essay, how do you view first turn mind twist your opponent's whole hand with what mown suggested?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Yeah it's easier to try and balance the mana-making cards than to try and balance the cards that let you do something with that mana. WoW TCG took that idea to the extreme, they hardly even had a Rampant Growth in the game, so they could print a nine mana card that virtually said "you win the game" and know that no one would be getting it out before turn nine.

Mown's suggestion is only in Legacy and is probably weaker than the deck I already identified, especially since mown can't use Summoner's Pact to fetch the spirit guide. Also, Legacy reanimator decks can already get out Sire of Insanity on the first turn. 
I forget, how many nominations are we allowed to have?

I nominate
Traitorous Swine 
Creature - Boar
At the beginning of your upkeep, Traitorous Swine fights another target creature you control.
5/5

From here.
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.

I forget, how many nominations are we allowed to have?

Sign In to post comments