Neverwinter MMO

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, has anyone here tried this game? I figure apart from all the Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate as well as Icewind Dale games, there'd be a few here who would have downloaded and fired the game up.

It's in "Open Beta" at the moment, but by and large, the game is live and really, it's not that bad. It's 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms, but you don't REALLY need to know the PnP rules to play, probably because a fair number of them wouldn't translate all that well.

The are a few glaring problems, such as only allowed to create two characters to start unless you but more character slots. Then there's the fact that the only "complete" class is the Fighter, with both the Guardian Fighter (for shield and broad) and Great Weapon Fighter (for those who love their two handers) being the only really "finished" class.

Currently, we have both Fighters as I have already said, as well as Trickster Rogue, Control Wizard and Devoted Cleric, with talks of either one or both Rangers being up next for release along side the Scourge Warlock. The Deity list is also lacking with just Amaunator, Chauntea, Corellon, Kelemvor, Moradin, Oghma, Selûne, Silvanus, Sune, Tempus, Torm and Tymora filling in on the divine end of things, also, saidly, apart from an ingame title, there is nothing to even encourge you to pick one Deity over another. It's simply pure fluff.

Also, there's no alignment in game, so you are simi free to play your character however you want, within reason of course, this is a online game where you are playing with other people. The race list is kinda of respectable with eight race all together, the Human, Half-Elf, Wood Elf (which seems to be pulling double duty for Elves and Eladrin, respectively), Drow, Dwarf, Halfling, Half-Orc and Tiefling; though the Dragonborn seems strangely absent what with the hard push WotC and 4E D&D were giving them.

Still, by and large, this is a game I would recommend to any fan of the realms, with some of the best quest dialog I have seen in a long time (the A Lich's Lament is pure gold imo).
I still need to get a video card. Hell by this time I need a whole new computer, this things like 3 years old! Totally obsolete!!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
I have played it a little as my time allows...its not bad so far.  The open world feel and Realms setting instantly make it better than DDO.  And I think after they polish it a little more after Beta it could truly kick a little ass
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
bored with it

its not bad, but it bores me

but while you're at it try age of wushu too 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I'm really enjoying it.  If you're looking for a straight MMO experience, should probably look elsewhere.

I think this game's strength is in the Foundry, and the custom quests/campaigns that people can make.  The Foundry itself is a little bit limited right now, and some of the rewards have been reduced a bit too much due to some people trying to exploit the system, but if you like seeing what sorts of stories and adventures other people create (or want to make some of your own), you'll really like it.

I just put out the first quest for what I hope to be a longer running campaign.  I'm just going to leave this here if you're ever interested Tongue Out:
nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php...

Another quest that someone else made that I really enjoyed is "The Ruins of Webcrag," which is the first quest of his "Into the Mind's Eye" campaign.
nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php...
Tbh I downloaded it and then uninstalled it after going half-way through character creation. Graphics were just . . . bad
How is the game's use of skills and the like?

Does it just feel like an MMO with a sprinkle of D&D and Forgotten Realms or do they try to emulate the D&D experience within it?

Is it just hack'n'slash or are their allot of exploration elements to it?
it's different

a power slot and a button to press for it, you cant have a wizard wielding a sword so far that I've noticed... so

the game isnt bad, its not all taht great though so its not for everybody.

but give it a try 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
How is the game's use of skills and the like?

Does it just feel like an MMO with a sprinkle of D&D and Forgotten Realms or do they try to emulate the D&D experience within it?

Is it just hack'n'slash or are their allot of exploration elements to it?

Imo the only way to emulate the D&D experience is with something akin to Temple of Elemental Evil turn based strategy. Not even BG and the like did that good a job. And MMOs have to be real time.
I remember when there was a "Dark Sun Online" game in the 90s. It was really well made...it was real time for exploration and when you entered combat it was resolved turn-based. I wish there were games like these nowadays.
okay here is my new complaint on the game.

they are making the sun elves free with the fury of the feywild and charging 60.00 for the moonelf and other content.

this is against fr canon and the elven city that is in it iirc was a moon elf city and not a sun elf( maybe wrong there).

I dont see the reasson to dish out 60.00 for only one thing in it that I want.

garbage.

I hope they are forced to bring that boring game down. 
IM hoping you get alont more than just Moonelves for 60 bucks! 

But at least theyre calling them Sun and Moon Elves instead of Eladrin or whatever. 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack/feywildk...

yeah we do and its mostly trash.

nothing I want and its not worth 60.00 bucks to me for only one thing in it I want.( dont think its worth 60.00 anyway) 
Damn, that's pretty pricey.  Not even vaguely interested in that one.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

only want the moon elf nothing else so the rest is trash to me.

come to think of it, the other champion of the north pack also cost around 60.00..... 
The only good feature about this game is the quest editor, IMO. Getting to max level is quite fun, but once there end-game content becomes disappointing, as there's not much variety in challenge (dungeon bosses all spam AoEs and spawn countless minions and most of them have a spammable annoying blink). Also the game was (or still is?) so full of glitches that everyone went around abusing stuff for free currency and top items, making them trivial...
Sign In to post comments