Nobody expects the ...

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
(Insert Deity Here) Inquistion*

So I want to play a inquistior in a game some time soon, and I'm a bit stuck as for which divine class I should use for him,
I've got the option of:

1. Cleric

2. Paladin

3. Avenger

4. Invoker

5. Rune-Priest

So do you guys and gals have any advice on which class to take, in my mind the Avenger would come closest but idk Avengers have this aura of sliping in the night and killing people while I need that I would also like a sense of barging in the front door and declaring everyone is under arrest and will be investigated you know public power type kind of like the Cleric and Paladin.

*Except the Lolth Inquistion, everybody expects them as every day is inquistion day in the Underdark baby.
Any class could be what you want it to be.  You don't have to have the Divine power source to be an agent of your deity.

I'd probably look at a Warlock myself.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Any class could be what you want it to be.  You don't have to have the Divine power source to be an agent of your deity.

I was dreading this, look I want to have the Divine power source ok.
Avenger.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

I was dreading this, look I want to have the Divine power source ok.

Very well.  You're likely to need to be able to talk usefully to fulfil the concept, so Blackguard, Paladin, CLeric would probably be the best options.

But honestly, it depends what you want out of it.  If you want to be a strike, you probably need an avenger.  Defender?  Paladin.  Leader?  Cleric.  Etc.  Any or all of them could fulfil the concept oyu want in different ways, so it's really up to you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Oh sorry I forgot to add this, the roles are covered by the others in the party (Witch,Warlord,Ranger,Warden).

I have to ask though why was your first suggestion Warlock ?

Yeah it's a very open ended question in that there's 6 classes I guess I was curious if somebody else played a similar concept.
Because the way I'd see an inquisitor, you probably want someone shadowy and threatening who's good at talking, and good at combat control.

I don't wildly see many divine classes as working hand-in-hand with that role - it's not the easiest thing to get all the talky skills on one character, and it's not easy at all to do the light-armoured stealthy shadowy type other than with the Avenger who can't talk for toffee.

It really depends what you want out of the character, because ALL the divine classes, and all the non-divine classes, can be flavoured and given a character background of 'inquisitor of Deity'.
Depending on the god in question Arcane, Primal, even Elemental, and Shadow could all be directly empowered by a god.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Everyone in this thread is wrong.  The correct answer is Bard.

But more seriously, as been already suggested, any class could work.  It would just be a matter of picking one that best suits what exactly it is you're trying to do.  Likely though, you'll need to shore up some areas with feats, items, or skill powers. 

An avenger with skill training in social skills and the biggest weapon is the first thing that comes to mind.  Though a int-secondary invoker trained in arcana could do achieve some great utility with skill powers.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
the first thing that comes to mind is the Scourge of Exquisite Agony on a gloom pact hexblade

yes the Hexblade would be perfect, particularly the gloom pact.  High CHA, shadowy... and an inquisitor with a Scrouge of Exquisite Agony... that's just excellent.  And as many have pointed out, you can flavor it a divine very easily.   An inquisitor of the Raven Queen perhaps?

TjD

I guess Avenger it is, I'll just have to hibrid it with something for the social umph, as a side note if only I had acces to a 4E(or any fantasy system in general) form of the noble from SWSG it would be great, probably going to go with Warlord.
I guess Avenger it is, I'll just have to hibrid it with something for the social umph, as a side note if only I had acces to a 4E(or any fantasy system in general) form of the noble from SWSG it would be great, probably going to go with Warlord.

Just a note- hybriding Avengers is usually a bad move.  The class feature you get (Oath of Enmity) only works on Avenger powers, which means that most of the time, it won't necessarily work.

If social oomph is what you're after, then again, a Hexblade would be good.  Alternatively, a Charisma based Paladin could do very nicely.

Depending on what you're going for a Warlock|Executioner could work nicely (mostly Dex based).  Note, though, that your main attack is going to be charging with Eldritch Strike.  But if you're up for a charger, that might fit the bill (and the Executioner lends a nice flavor). 

Just a note- hybriding Avengers is usually a bad move.  The class feature you get (Oath of Enmity) only works on Avenger powers, which means that most of the time, it won't necessarily work.

If social oomph is what you're after, then again, a Hexblade would be good.  Alternatively, a Charisma based Paladin could do very nicely.

Adding to this, I'll again suggest Skill Training, Skill Focus, Skill Powers, and items.  Even without a focus in Charisma, you can still get respectable numbers compared to level-relevant DCs with a bit of effort.  Maybe not the best checks in the party, but still respectable.

In addition, since you're trying to play up the Inquisitor archetype, you'll likely be trained in Insight.  You could take the Damning Secret skill power to handle Intimidate checks.  Or instead of buffing your own social checks, you could use Empathic Read and Insightful Comment to buff your party's checks instead.  And going with Int instead Dex makes Arcane Mutterings an attractive option, replacing a social skill check with an arcana check.

And let's not forget backgrounds and themes.  Avengers already start with the social skills as class skills, to picking a background is an easy +2 bonus to one of them.  And themes like Mecernary and Chevalier grant bonuses to social skill checks as features.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Both Invoker and Avenger I believe have the "feel" you are going for. You are the manifestation of your god's divine wrath. Invoker especially is a good choice for this.

We have a Dragonborn Invoker who worships Bahamut. Her battle cry is "My god doesn't like you!"

We have a Dragonborn Invoker who worships Bahamut. Her battle cry is "My god doesn't like you!"

I have a Minotaur* Invoker who often shouts, "I bring you the word of god.  The word of god is DIE!" **

* yes I know a Minotaur is a bad choice for an Invoker

** then usually misses with whatever AOE he was about to cast ;)

I have a Minotaur* Invoker who often shouts, "I bring you the word of god.  The word of god is DIE!" **

* yes I know a Minotaur is a bad choice for an Invoker

** then usually misses with whatever AOE he was about to cast ;)

Our Dragonborn Invoker recently fought a group of Dragonborn and blew pretty much every roll. At the end of the session, the player looked at me and said "And now she belives Bahamut doesn't want her to fight her own kind."
I'm going to go strongly toward AVENGER.

Simple reason:  You can PHASE THROUGH WALLS.

Nobody expects the inquisition to phase through walls!

Adding to this, I'll again suggest Skill Training, Skill Focus, Skill Powers, and items.  Even without a focus in Charisma, you can still get respectable numbers compared to level-relevant DCs with a bit of effort.  Maybe not the best checks in the party, but still respectable.

In addition, since you're trying to play up the Inquisitor archetype, you'll likely be trained in Insight.  You could take the Damning Secret skill power to handle Intimidate checks.  Or instead of buffing your own social checks, you could use Empathic Read and Insightful Comment to buff your party's checks instead.  And going with Int instead Dex makes Arcane Mutterings an attractive option, replacing a social skill check with an arcana check.

And let's not forget backgrounds and themes.  Avengers already start with the social skills as class skills, to picking a background is an easy +2 bonus to one of them.  And themes like Mecernary and Chevalier grant bonuses to social skill checks as features.

Ooh very nice so up until now I have:
- Hybrid Avenger/Paladin(Cha) (Thanks for the warning about oath of enmity but I think I'll survive)
- Insight
- Damning Secret
- Arcane Mutterings (I might either keep it as is or refluff it a bit)
- A good background ( I have to decide more about the char before I choose)
- Theme (Was their also a Noble them or am I imagining stuff)

Also yes your much vaunted walls can't protect you from the Inquisition.

Really?! To me this is a simple question with a simple answer. Inquisitor? Be an INVOKER. A class that directly channels a deity's power and uses all fear effects to control the battlefield is perfect, especially of Zehir or Raven Queen.