Wandering Monsters: I Don’t Know What It Is, but I Like It

Note: As it stands, you must select at least one answer for the first question, and there is no option for "None: I'd have any of these creatures back".  Hollyphant took the hit so I could procede.

Question #2: no option to have certain of the monsters NOT be celestials: The Baku, Hollyphant, Moon Dog, and Phoenix seem to be fixed in their position.  There's not even an option for "Other: I'll explain in a comment"  (I really think the Phoenix should be an elemental or magical beast sort of thing...)

Rest of the questions were non-problematic.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Question #2: no option to have certain of the monsters NOT be celestials:

Fluff is mutable.

Great Wheel is little more than Brand Idenity.

Question #2: no option to have certain of the monsters NOT be celestials:

Fluff is mutable.

Great Wheel is little more than Brand Idenity.

Celestial would presumably carry rule augmentations from more mortal/made-of-regular-stuff creatures.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

In particular, I really don't like the Phoenix as a celestial. That doesn't fit with how I think about them at all. If a creature's mythological roots are such that

A) It has mythological properties that are generally well-known (that is, it's a standard fantasy creature, not something that nobody's ever heard of),
B) Those mythological properties make it basically a creatures that lives on earth (even if it's magical), not in some other realm or state of reality (like an angel),
C) Living on an outer plane isn't a major part of the creature's D&D identity (and I mean major, not "a book said it once, so now it has to be that way forever") (like a Shadar-Kai),
D) There's not an extremely compelling thematic tie binding the creature to one of the other planes

then the creature should probably not be an outsider. It should be a magical beast, native elemental, or some new category.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I am good with them as Celestials encased in mortal flesh

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

You mean people leave the hollyphant alone and pick on someone your own size!  Sheesh...

*picks up the cute hollyphant to protect it from evil forum-goers who want to gak it!*

A lot of culture mixing in the descriptions.  I had actually wondered where some of them came from (particularly the ki-rin).  I'm good with making them celestials, but perhaps broadening exactly what 'celestial' means.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

* My opinion is the easiest option may be create them like no-celestial and after you can chose add the celestial template.

* I wish a "template" to add arms (or opposable thumbs) to sentient no-humanoid creatures. A spell, (psionic) power or magic item could be enough.

And other template allows sentient monsters change to humanoid shape.. (to create characters like giant shifters from manga/anime "attack on titan" or "wolfs with sheep clothigns" for settins like Ravenloft or "aliens among us" like "Men In Black").

* Will there be a "module" about D&D "pokemons" or magic pets? It could be really fun.

* The hollyphant is too.... "exotic", but some players like "bizarre pets/monster allies".

* It is the first time I read about the opinicus, but it could be a exotic and fantastic "monster mount". Maybe I draw one, I scann it and I publish it here.

* Moon dogs look the good twin brothers of werewolfs, wolfwere, loup-garous and other furry shapeshifters. 

Could a "prestige class" for shifters allow these ones change to moon-dog shape?

* Do you rebember the  Shirokinukatsukami from Oriental Adventures?

* Are coatls bonded with rain dragons from Maztica?

Could a yuan-ti cult who followed a rain dragon be.."good"? I don´t like rain dragons without arms. I would rather limmornds.

* Lammasu and shedu... how can I notice the difference when I saw one of them? 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

* Will there be a "module" about D&D "pokemons" or magic pets? It could be really fun.

I guess you got to catch them all?

finally some more classic monsters from 1st edition woohoo.

I guess you got to catch them all?

A "monster tamer PC" couldn´t because some creatures are elemental, celestial, fiendish or undeads. 

This is a sketch of the opinicus, or the idea of how it ought to be, with the body proportions of a hippogriff but slender, with ape head, long neck and monkey "paws".

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I needed a "none of the above" option on the first question, and a "make them all magical beasts" or "make them all monstrosities" on another. Otherwise you're not getting completely accurate data.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Very good descriptions. I think all of them has a place in D&D Next. I actually like the
couatl, phoenix and ki-rin. The only minor thing is that some of them (moon dog, lammasu and shedu) seems to have a human head for no reason. You don't need a human head to be smart in fantasy.
Good idea with making them celestials. The upper planes of the Great Wheel seem to be their place in that cosmology. Glad to hear that guardinals and eladrin are celestials in the Great Wheel cosmology.
Note: As it stands, you must select at least one answer for the first question, and there is no option for "None: I'd have any of these creatures back".  Hollyphant took the hit so I could procede.

Yes, annoying (I dig them all), I am going to hold off filling in the survey (hopefully they will fix it).

And he isn't suggesting a monster type called Immortal Guardian, is he?

Also, why does he regret the Hollyphant being 2-feet long, that's original and badass, a tiny flying celestial elephant with great magical power.
I am also sad to report that I had to throw one of the good guys to the wolves, as I would not have picked to remove any of them if given the choice.  While I like all of the creatures, I dislike the new survey engine.

When am I going to get my swamp camels with death-ray eyes?  I miss the Catoblepas.

http://the-swordfish.webs.com/photos/Sea%20Demons/Catoblepas.jpg

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

When am I going to get my swamp camels with death-ray eyes?  I miss the Catoblepas.

Now you're talking, from the first time I saw it in the 1st Ed MM, it has always intrigued me, classic.

But definitely not a Celestial. 

Well no.  Then it might be able to fly or something and that would be just too ridiculously amazing.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well no.  Then it might be able to fly or something and that would be just too ridiculously amazing.

Winged template.

Yeah, this one is cool. So basically every creature mentioned in this article plus the Catoplebas should be there.
Hey guys, thanks for all the shout-outs! But, seriously, folks, is there anyone else here who HATES these good-aligned monsters? I remember them from earlier editions and I never cared for them back then, either. IMO, they're just a waste of much-needed monster space. Another thing--I don't understand all the complaints about the new survey engine. What was so traumatic for everyone?

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

Another thing--I don't understand all the complaints about the new survey engine. What was so traumatic for everyone?

The very first question is borked.
since the beasts are animals' mutations and are good aligned no problem with being celestials and using them as immortal guardians is a logical suggestion
They fixed the first question (so glad I held out), I voted none, I dig them all, poor Opinicus, took a beating.
I never used any of these monsters . I don't care what they do with them.
I never used any of these monsters . I don't care what they do with them.

I think there is a certain panache about a flying 2-foot-long elephant that can rule your ass.
We don´t need reject any of them, we can wait until the next Monster Manual II.

I remberber the loxo

But maybe the hoyllyphant should wait, and it need a retcon of desing, because...who wanted play with a monster ally what is a winged donphan? We need a updated version, like the ultimate universe from marvel comics.

Picture from God of War: Ascension.

Behemmoth Elephant-man from Marvel Comics:

Picture from comic "Elephantmen".

(Fan-art skecths, I suposse).

Antropomorphic mammoths can be cool if the design is right.

What what we can get from is that Pachyderms rock, Tiny or Colossal.