Does my deck work?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. I'm new to magic, and I'm wondering if my deck makes sense. It's based on getting creatures into the graveyard so creatures like splinterfright are stronger.

Mulch- 3
Phantasmal Dragon- 1
Tower Geist -2
Acidic Slime -2
Dawntreader Elk -3
Island -8
Forest -14
Chasm Drake -1
Grim Flowering -4
Alluring Siren -1
Gnaw to the Bone -3
Ghoul Tree -2
Wreath of Geists -4
Boneyard Wurm -3
Tracker's Instincts -3
Splinterfright -4
Brindle Boar -3
Ambush Viper -3
Yes, I know it's 64, will adjust later.

Like I said to the other guy, make sure your formats are in order. Many cards aren't allowed in some game types. Look up cards in Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored. Many cards in those sets cared about the graveyard. One major card that comes to mind is Lumberknot because it keeps getting bigger. Although, it is an investment, because it starts out very weak and fragile.

And a word of advice. you can use [.c] and [./c], without those periods, around a card name to do what I did to Lumberknot there.

And all will know the wonder of my dark and jeweled sky, when all the world is wrapped in an eternal lullaby.

Moving to Casual Deck Help.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Like I said to the other guy, make sure your formats are in order. Many cards aren't allowed in some game types. Look up cards in Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored. Many cards in those sets cared about the graveyard. One major card that comes to mind is Lumberknot because it keeps getting bigger. Although, it is an investment, because it starts out very weak and fragile.

And a word of advice. you can use [.c] and [./c], without those periods, around a card name to do what I did to Lumberknot there.

I actually own a lumberknot, but I chose not to put it into my deck because I don't find it be cost efficient. Boneyard Wurm for example, has power and toughness equal to the number of creatures in your graveyard for only two land cards.

Oh as well, I don't know the difference between dark ascension, innistarad, etc. I know that this deck started as a starter deck from dark ascension before i changed it.
Adding in some bloodrush creatures could work well also. Things like Slaughterhorn/Wasteland Viper work nicely to fill your grave but are also cheap pump abilities and in a bind can be a creature. Deadly Recluse is a decent early game blocker that almost always atleast trades keeping the field equal while you setup. Since none of your strong creatures have hexproof I would add in a couple Ranger's Guile to protect them. Kessig Cagebreakers work great in this style of deck to finish people off.

I hope this helps GL!
Adding in some bloodrush creatures could work well also. Things like Slaughterhorn/Wasteland Viper work nicely to fill your grave but are also cheap pump abilities and in a bind can be a creature. Deadly Recluse is a decent early game blocker that almost always atleast trades keeping the field equal while you setup. Since none of your strong creatures have hexproof I would add in a couple Ranger's Guile to protect them. Kessig Cagebreakers work great in this style of deck to finish people off.

I hope this helps GL!

I ordered those blood rush cards, wow, I really like those. Thanks for the help!
you could also splash some black in there and add cards like barter in blood, it would play some defense and clear out the opponents board, yet make you stronger.  Your blue cards dont really seem to play into your strategy

you can also add Deadbridge Chant
I second the bloodrush cards. I'd splash a touch of blue to run tracker's instincts. It and mulch should be 4x each.

garruk relentless want to play.

wreath of geists helps you out too.
I second the bloodrush cards. I'd splash a touch of blue to run tracker's instincts. It and mulch should be 4x each. garruk relentless want to play. wreath of geists helps you out too.

I already have wreath of geists. What do you mean splash a touch of blue?

edit: as well, what would garruk relentless do? 
you could also splash some black in there and add cards like barter in blood, it would play some defense and clear out the opponents board, yet make you stronger.  Your blue cards dont really seem to play into your strategy

you can also add Deadbridge Chant

Hmm, I would miss my blue though. Because of things like Tower Geist and chasm drake.
Lhurgoyf, perhaps? Could fit very nicely! Unless you want to keep the deck standard legal, in which case do NOT put in Lhurgoyf.
A touch of blue mana for the flashback cost. Could run like 3-4 evolving wilds and 1-2 island.

Garruk does everything you want with this deck. Did you read the card? He creates tokens to attack or block. He can lightning bolt a critter for a price too.

Flip side is golden for you. Still pumps out tokens with deathtouch, which is huge! You can then sac a token and go search up any card you want. Sac a real permanent to feed your GY.

Ultimate? Yeah, lets turn all those bloodrushed and self-milled cards into a potentially insane overrun, and push all your creatures and tokens thru into the end zone for the kill!

What's not to love?
A touch of blue mana for the flashback cost. Could run like 3-4 evolving wilds and 1-2 island. Garruk does everything you want with this deck. Did you read the card? He creates tokens to attack or block. He can lightning bolt a critter for a price too. Flip side is golden for you. Still pumps out tokens with deathtouch, which is huge! You can then sac a token and go search up any card you want. Sac a real permanent to feed your GY. Ultimate? Yeah, lets turn all those bloodrushed and self-milled cards into a potentially insane overrun, and push all your creatures and tokens thru into the end zone for the kill! What's not to love?

Didn't see the flip side, card only showed one side.
Lhurgoyf, perhaps? Could fit very nicely! Unless you want to keep the deck standard legal, in which case do NOT put in Lhurgoyf.

There are things much more efficent than Lhurgoyf. Take Lumberknot for example. Same price, one more power and hex proof.
Lumberknot won't do much work for you here. It's not when creatures get put into the GY, it's only when they die. Self-mill and discarding them via bloodrush does NOT trigger the knot. You don't play a lot of removal, so I don't see a lot of of triggers happening
black seems like your best color option.  You get cards like Fleshbag Marauder and Barter in Blood that will trigger things like Lumberknot and make things like Boneyard Wurm bigger.

if you dip into the Modern or Legacy card pool you get things like Krosan Tusker, Viscera Dragger, and other cyclers that give you cool stuff for discarding them and put a creature into your graveyard.
This is one of my favorite strategies. Chronic Flooding can get cards into your graveyard FAST, especially if you combo it with Arbor Elf. Deranged Assistant, Armored Skaab and Screeching Skaab might be worth a look. I suggest adding some Merfolk Looters, which help you draw cards and fill your graveyard at the same time.
Lumberknot won't do much work for you here. It's not when creatures get put into the GY, it's only when they die. Self-mill and discarding them via bloodrush does NOT trigger the knot. You don't play a lot of removal, so I don't see a lot of of triggers happening

Ohhh! I see! Okay thanks for that. 
This is one of my favorite strategies. Chronic Flooding can get cards into your graveyard FAST, especially if you combo it with Arbor Elf. Deranged Assistant, Armored Skaab and Screeching Skaab might be worth a look. I suggest adding some Merfolk Looters, which help you draw cards and fill your graveyard at the same time.

I quite like these cards, but I don't know about keeping blue, as the black cards seem quite nice.
Just looking at the original list, your cards that exploit the graveyard are nice but the ones that go into the graveyard are pretty lousy.  Quite simply they have high mana cost and they're weak.  I would consider efficient creatures with a high attack power and low mana cost.  Then if your opponent doesn't block them or otherwise destroy them for you, he's in trouble.  If he does, your deck works the way it's supposed to.  It's win-win.  If you can find an efficient creature who can also kill himself, that's gravy but it's not essential.  Groundbreaker works very well for this.

Besides that there's your mana curve.  You're lacking in cheap cards that can be played early.  Make some of the above mentioned creatures cost 1-3 mana and you solve both problems at once.  Creatures like boneyard wurm are best of all because they accomplish all 3 goals: exploit the graveyard, high strength for a low cost.  And if you draw one early in the game before you have a graveyard, bam, he comes in as a 0/0 and there's your first graveyard creature.  Or he becomes a 1/1 or 2/2 chump that you send to attack right away without caring if he dies.  I'd put 4 of those in your deck, and 4 of anything like him.
the suggestion of Groundbreaker reminds me of Uktabi Drake.  Cheap, evasive, hasty, hits for 2 then it dies.  Seems perfect here