Are short rests involuntary occurrences?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, another player argued that my temporary hit points disappeared after we experienced a duration of inactivity as we traveled through a portal.

Is it possible when I had taken an extended rest and used the item daily power of my "staff of resilience" would the temporary hit points disappear as we have spent more than an hour of inactivity just conversing and traveling through a portal?  I didn't choose to take any short rest as I didn't use any encounter powers or spend additional healing surges.

Should I constantly exert myself jogging in place or do jumping jacks to counteract taking an involuntary short rest?

Also, do I have to have the staff of resilience in my hand to maintain the temporary hit points gained from using its daily item power?

To all that is good and worthwhile.

Short rests are voluntary.

No, you can put it away.
Thank you, Alcestis.

I really know the answer to most of these questions and have been wrong before, but I seemingly always need outside proof to substantiate my claims to rules with some players in my gaming group. 

I'm a level 10 Dwarven Wildblood Warden build with a 30-hit point healing surge value, and 60 temporary hit points made me unpopular almost instantly with a player using a Bed of Restful Sleep and a leader who doesn't have to spend any healing powers on me for most normal encounters.  They claim that I play OP characters; I look at it as assuring my character's survivability.

Eh, one/encounter day you have 60 THP. Wardens are basically sponges anyway, that may as well be in their class description.

Plus as a Dwarf Warden you are SWing as a minor every encounter, of course they don't need to use healing powers on you.
Eh, one/encounter day you have 60 THP. Wardens are basically sponges anyway, that may as well be in their class description.

Plus as a Dwarf Warden you are SWing as a minor every encounter, of course they don't need to use healing powers on you.

Yes, I agree. I have the worst defenses in the group.

AC 24 F24 R19 W22

I get hit at least 75% of the time, as opposed to normal defenders 40% averaging all defenses.

Wardens really don't need external healing.  Between encouraging you to use Second Wind as much as possible (sometimes more than once per encounter), Warden healing utilities, and the sheer absurd quantity of health you get from healing due to being a Warden, no, you really don't need much in the way of actual healing spells from other people. 

It's to the point where any DM who actually manages to knock a Warden below 0 in a reasonable-difficulty fight gets major props from me. 
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Yes, I agree. I have the worst defenses in the group.

AC 24 F24 R19 W22

I get hit at least 75% of the time, as opposed to normal defenders 40% averaging all defenses.

Are you not using a heavy shield? Because you really should be. Level+14 AC is really low. Granted as a Dwarf you're probably going to be at level+17 for most of Heroic, because you went 18 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis, 12 Dex (for the Ref boost). Right? But Hide Armor Specialization/Elven Chain shirt will patch that in Paragon.
Are you not using a heavy shield? Because you really should be. Level+14 AC is really low. Granted as a Dwarf you're probably going to be at level+17 for most of Heroic, because you went 18 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis, 12 Dex (for the Ref boost). Right? But Hide Armor Specialization/Elven Chain shirt will patch that in Paragon.

I distributed ability points mostly to Strength and divided remaining between Constitution and Wisdom in order to avoid dazed/stunned conditions and increase healing surges.  By paragon, I should be able to SW twice per encounter and spend at least 4 healing surges if needed.  Enough time for the strikers to do their damage.

Over the course of a day, this warden build could sustain over 1000 points of damage.  I figured the expected role of the warden and depend on the enemies to aggro on my character.

[sblock=Dwarven Warden]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
*********** level 11
Dwarf, Warden, Sand Reaver
Guardian Might Option: Wildblood
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Wasteland Nomad

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 23, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 9, WIS 16, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 25 Fort: 24 Ref: 19 Will: 24
HP: 110 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +13, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +12, Nature +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +4, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Heal +8, History +4, Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Perception +8, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise +5, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Wasteland Nomad Feature: Wasteland Fury
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Druid Feature: Wild Shape
Warden Attack 1: Warden's Lunge
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Warden Attack 1: Wildblood Frenzy
Warden Attack 1: Form of Mountain's Thunder
Druid Attack 1: Swarming Locusts
Warden Utility 2: Erupting Font
Warden Attack 3: Breath of Chaos
Warden Attack 5: Wellspring Strike
Dungeoneering Utility 6: Eyes of the Deep Delver
Warden Attack 7: Forge of Fire and Smoke
Warden Attack 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Sand Reaver Attack 11: Reckless Fury

FEATS
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 2: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 6: Swift Recovery
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Initiate of the Old Faith
Level 11: Vital Form
Level 11: Dwarven Durability

ITEMS
Hide Armor of Durability +2 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Dynamic Craghammer +3 x1
Amulet of Life +2 x1
Flickers of Faith (heroic tier)
Strongheart Tattoo (heroic tier) x1
Parry Gauntlets x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Staff of Resilience +1
Bag of Holding
Deepfarer's Pouch
Gem of Colloquy (heroic tier) x1
Syllable of Grace

====== End ======

Playing a Wildblood that pumps Con is rather suboptimal.  You give up Will and AC, and gain precious little.

If you want more surges, take Durable. 
If you want to avoid daze/stun, take Superior Will.

Don't pump Con as a Wildblood.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Playing a Wildblood that pumps Con is rather suboptimal.  You give up Will and AC, and gain precious little.

If you want more surges, take Durable. 
If you want to avoid daze/stun, take Superior Will.

Don't pump Con as a Wildblood.

Yeah, I sacrificed AC and Will defense and can't remember exactly why, Mand.  I originally was a Storm Warden.  My character should be suffice for my current game as it is not designed by frothsof, Lair Assault, or fourthcore creator.  My challenge is trying to keep the other characters alive to do their roles.

Sign In to post comments