Internalize the Basic Kata

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Have a look at this feat and tell me if you think this allows an extra Flurry of Blows or just allows the Monk to use the FoB outside of his/her turn.

Internalize the Basic Kata

Prerequisite: Monk, Flurry of Blows class feature, Unarmed Combatant class feature
Benefit: You can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier for attack rolls and damage rolls when making a melee basic attack with your monk unarmed strike. In addition, your flurry of blows power can be triggered when you hit with an opportunity attack made with your monk unarmed strike.

Are you the DM, or the player?  As a player, it does what it says.  If FoB is 1/rnd, and you trigger it off a attack on your turn, you can't trigger it on an OA because you've already used it this round. (Edit: corrected as per Alcestis below)

As a DM: Let em flurry up to 1/turn.  Sheesh.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I am the DM. I was contemplating allowing the Monk to use FoB again with an OA even if the Monk has used it during his turn.
Remember one/round things refresh at start of turn.
I am the DM. I was contemplating allowing the Monk to use FoB again with an OA even if the Monk has used it during his turn.

By the rules, no. 

But monks are generally considered on the weak end of strikers, letting him do it won't make them too strong.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Blurred Strike
+
Internalizing the Basic Kata feat

Question

I have searched all over the forums for an answer...

Blurred Strike Ki Focus lets you use FoB "an additional time during your turn, but the two uses..." yada, yada, yada...

Internalizing the Basic Kata feat hooks up your MBA with Dex as well as, "your flurry of blows power can be triggered when you hit with an opportunity attack made with your monk unarmed strike

Question:  will Blurred Strike allow me to use another FoB during the opportunity attack? 

I say it does.  I need arguments to rebut my DM. 

Since the (Centered Breath) FoB card also says, "Trigger: you hit with an attack during your turn", wouldnt the Internalizing the Basic Kata feat kind of supercede the "your turn" rule to include FoB access on an opportunity attack?  the RAI on this feat almost screams, to hook up the MBA and hit with FoB as well!  Making Blurred Strike really compatible with it.

Of course, this question assumes I already used my FoB power during my turn, and I am strying to use FoB "an additional time" with Blurred Strike ki focus as an OA.

What say you?
No.
Sign In to post comments