K.nowledge F.or C.onstructing........decks. 1v1 revisited. Let's do this!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
So with 2013 coming to a close, and 2014 on the horizon (with new Sealed mode!) we're getting some new folks in here inquiring about deck construction and whatnot. This little writing project's purpose isn't to go all blowhard and tout "my build is the best! it's doing really well for me! ninety percent!", it's just to show some folks one['s] (my) thought process for actually constructing decks from a limited card pool. 

Deckbuilding in this game (and on these forums) is mildly overrated anyways. You still have to, you know, actually play the game intelligently. I've seen some pretty horrendous gameplay videos (yes, even when I'm not watching and snickering at those WMG guys).

I think what's lost on some folks is constructing a deck and then knowing what your deck actually does/is supposed to do. Just because a card is good doesn't mean you have to automatically include it all willy nilly-like. Just keeping that little basic thought in mind can also help you make better mulliganning decisions (I think). 

Do as you will with this information. It's not meant to be gospel. I just enjoy writing about and discussing the game. I'll try and do a new one or two every day until I'm done. I do welcome all forms of disagreement and raging though. Isn't that what internet boards are for? It's fun!

Anyways:

GRIM PROCESSION:
Show

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"KFC Snacker....$0.99"

60 Cards. 24 Lands (11 10; 3 other).

A library for Grim Procession (Orzhov)

erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~?hwfxZ~~KFC Snacker....$0.99~~2=2PSFv~~2=FRELc~~3BUz?b5~~2Bxo64R~~4BbS4j2~~4=WKXnG~~2?a6xzS~~3AnLyVS~~2?NLvWe~~3?2vriJ~~1?FIiaa~~2?v8zme~~2BJU=wg~~2?eRa66~~1A2XD3A~~1?rA7I7~~1A8QlSt~~1AzN?o1~~1==WM18~~))))))))

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left; border-width:1px; border-color:#909284; border-style:solid" cellspacing="0" border="0">

Land 

Spell 
■■■
 Terramorphic Expanse 

[/m]Land[m

cost  

Spell 
■■
 Edge of the Divinity 

(

Reanimate 

cost  

Creature 
■■
 Mourning Thrull 
 1/1 
 (

■■
 Orzhov Guildmage 
 2/2 
 ()(

Spell 
■■
 Castigate 

■■■
 Zealous Persecution 

cost  

Creature 
■■
 Restless Apparition 
 2/2 
 ()()(

Stillmoon Cavalier 
 2/1 
 ()(

■■
 Vampire Nighthawk 
 2/3 

Spell 
■■■■
 Pillory of the Sleepless 

■■■■
 Unmake 

()()(

Vindicate 

cost  

Creature 
■■
 Voracious Hatchling 
 6/6 
 (

Spell 

Damnation 

cost  

Creature 
■■■
 Bloodgift Demon 
 5/4 

Deathbringer Liege 
 3/4 
 ()()(

■■
 Divinity of Pride 
 4/4 
 ()()()()(

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen 
 3/3 

erdana; font-size:9px; padding:0px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

Overview: So what are we trying to accomplish with this deck? We have a ton of removal, a lot of very good creatures, we gain a lot of life, and even our "not so great" creatures work well with a lot of the other cards in the deck, considering most of our dudes are mulatto-costed. From what I can see, there really is no reason to include anything above 5 CMC (converted mana cost for you new folks), nor is there any reason to get cute with Doomed Travelers and Falkenrath Nobles (you have, what, two sacrifice outlets available to you? don't even get me started on their mana costs). So let's try and build a deck that removes threats and beats down, shall we?

THE WHYS:

11x Swamps and 10x Plains: Sadly, there's no way to regulate this. I would not have this many Plains in this deck. 

3x Terramorphic Expanse: Adding the 4th puts us at 25 lands, which isn't really necessary. None of our cards cost double white, so keep that in mind when deciding what to fetch/what hands to keep. Also, later in the game, you can always resist the urge to crack these (and by later in the game, I mean once you're at 5 mana, where we top out) to set up a fireball to the dome with Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

2x Edge of the Divinity: Two for one alert! I know, right. But, the hybrid cost plays well with our Voracious Hatchlings and one Deathbringer Liege, and you can punish a slow-starting opponent with a very early 4/4 or 5/5 (the majority of our dudes are going to get the full +3/+3 bonus). Can't throw it on a Stillmoon Cavalier, but whatever. Too much risk or worth the reward. I give the edge to reward. 

1x Reanimate: Not the greatest card in the build due to all the exile effects running around, but every now and again you get something of value in the enemy's grave...and barring that, I'm sure some of our dudes will die eventually...even if there is a distinct lack of ETB (newbie translation: enters the battlefield) effects on our end. Still too versatile to deny though. At most, we'll only be paying 5 life to get one of our dudes back, which really isn't that much, since we do gain a lot of life. 

2x Castigate: I'd be fine with just the information...getting to permanently get rid of something is just a bonus. I would resist the urge to take a land though, even if you think you'll cause some mana problems for your opponent. They always seem to topdeck like champions. (and by resist the urge, I mean, you can't take lands.......even us old people need to be castigated sometimes for failing to read card text all the way through)

2x Mourning Thrull: Hybrid mana cost for triggering other cards. Check. Also, some decks can just never beat a 4/4 (or 7/7 if you're super greedy/lucky) lifelinking flier on turn 3. 

2x Orzhov Guildmage: Hybrid mana cost, yeah yeah. Arguably the worst guildmage, but it does gives us a liiiitle bit of reach. Not the worst later in the game either if you have a lot of spare mana. 

3x Zealous Persecution: I don't see why you wouldn't run the full 3. I love cards that do so many different things. Sometimes this is a cute combat trick. Sometimes it's spot removal. Every now and again, a straight-up wrath. Do I need to say anything else, or is it too early to start getting overzealous with the puns?

4x Pillory of the Sleepless: It classifies as removal (though it doesn't shut down a creature's abilities). The damage DOES add up over time though...which is great for, you know, actually winning the game. 

2x Restless Apparition: This thing can and will end the game by itself, and if your opponent gets restless and starts flinging removal at it, all the better. There are no sweepers in this game that actually exile (from what I can recall anyways) so feel free to run both out there if you can. You'll rarely (Maelstrom Pulse) be punished for it. 

1x Stillmoon Cavalier: Honestly, he's mildly underwhelming...but in Duels, anything having "protection from:" cannot stay on the sidelines. 

4x Unmake: Nuke'am. (spellcheck optional)

2x Vampire Nighthawk: I'd say 99% of the time, I'd only be disappointed in drawing a Nighthawk if I didn't have the mana to cast it. 

1x Vindicate: A playmate for Reanimate yay! (plus, you're one out to any troublesome non-creature cards)

1x Damnation: ANOTHER playmate for Reanimate? Joy! (personally, I don't think you should cut any 4 mana sweeper in a format such as Duels, ever)

2x Voracious Hatchling: The exact opposite of a Toys'R'Us kid. Develop your board as normal and watch him grow. If he gets immediately removed...meh. I think we can deal with the tempo loss of losing a 4-drop well enough, with all the lifegain. 

3x Bloodgift Demon: Now not getting to untap with your 5-drop, that's a gift that's a little harder to receive. But if you ever get to untap? Cheers! Every now and again you get to Dollar Store [card]Sign in Blood[/card[ your opponent for the win too. 

1x Deathbringer Liege: There is hardly anything in the deck, that when cast, does not result in an immediate Vindicate for one of your opponent's targetable creatures. The buffs are really great too. 

2x Divinity of Pride: Getting this thing to an 8/8 isn't terribly difficult for this deck to do...and as a 4/4 he's still pretty divine. 

1x Ob Nixilis, the Fallen: This dude didn't even need the growth clause. Converting land drops into Lightning Bolts to the dome is good enough for me. Again, a reason not to crack fetches (and sandbag lands) once you've reached a comfortable land count. I would never cast him without a land to play with him though. I always expect him to get immediately removed. 

THE WHY NOTS:

1x Terramorphic Expanse: Once again, we don't need 25 lands, and we only really need to hit double black and a single white to be set mana-restriction-wise anyways.

4x Doomed Traveler: I'm doomed not to get why this card is needed in this deck. There aren't too many ways to abuse his "ability". We don't really need him for defense. What does he do if you don't draw your Noble or Ghost Council? Who cares if there's an Onyx Mage on the field. I just won't ever block and attempt to fly over. 

2x Onyx Mage: One of the pieces to the dreaded Doomed Traveler "combo". I haven't been into Onyx since high school. 

1x Midnight Haunting: It's a white card, I guess. 

2x Tainted Sigil: I like gaining life as much as the next guy (in this deck's case, as a result of damaging your opponent), but what is the purpose of doubling down on the life gain? 

3x Bloodhunter Bat: If this card beats you, you were more than likely going to lose that game anyways.

3x Falkenrath Noble: You guys and your Doomed Travelers. *shakes head*

1x Ghost Council of Orzhova: We're traveling down this road again I see. How about we just see how it plays with the dudes actually in our deck. Do I really want to eat one of my dudes (or half an apparition) to save a 4/4 and drain 1 gain 1? Not really. 

1x Gravedigger: When I bring one of my dudes back, I want him to go directly to the battlefield and not to my hand. You can keep the 2/2 body. I'll pay the life. I have plenty. 

1x Guardian Seraph: Why is this guy even necessary? I think our defensive capabilities are just fine without throwing a clunky 3/4 into the mix. 

1x Keening Banshee: If I bought a Skinrender off some shady Chinatown merchant, Banshee's text is what I'd expect to see on it. If you ever get to "abuse" this with Angel of Flight Alabaster, you're either already very ahead, or very much behind. I can't see that little combo actually changing the course of most games. 

1x Angel of Flight Alabaster: How often does a Restless Apparition actually make it to the graveyard (and stay) anyways? Also, RETURN TO YOUR HAND. No thanks. 

1x Shepherd of the Lost: I never really cared for Lost, and I certainly did not care for Jack Shephard. 

1x Soul Feast: 8 point life swings? Why, we've already got a crew ready for that. Thanks though. 

1x Necromancer's Covenant: In a verrrry long game, this could be a trump for nuking your own graveyard for a mini Howl of the Night Pack, but on average, how many 2/2s do you really expect to get with this? There are only two, TWO, zombies available in the card pool to take advantage of the other "ability". Not worth it.

1x Angel of Despair: Angel is sweet, and I'm sure everyone here has some story about assembling the 777 Jackpot Voltron of Angel, Vish Kal, and Knell and wrecking some 91 card deck, but really, does the currently constructed deck even NEED this?

2x Debtors Knell: Pretty good at taking over a game on it's own, but again, is it ESSENTIAL? I run this in Exalted Darkness because there aren't better cheaper options, but here, we have a LOT of better, and cheaper, options to close out games.

1x Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter: Heyyy, there's our other sacrifice outlet, way up there at SEVEN MANA. He's fine, but he's really at his best with a pumped Apparition. He's hardly ever going to save another creature from removal, because all the removal is going to be pointed at him. 

1x Sanguine Praetor: I'm not going to praettle on about 8 drops you can't aggressively ramp into or cheat into play. 

1x Blazing Archon: Creatures can't attack you. Yeah, because there's a lot of those still hanging around on turn 20 when this hits play.

Might want to re-read Castigate re: viable targets. Also, with as aggressive as your build is, might want to reconsider Guardian Seraph. Ignore the ability, it's a 3/4 flier for 4. You can pay the double white. There's a fair amount of 3/3 fliers for 5 in the game, getting 3/4 for 4 especially going first is brutal.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

You're right GoA. Sometimes I just type without thinking (Castigate). 

I honestly don't think the deck fears 3/3 fliers at all though. I'm not trying to be dismissive of your suggestion...I just don't get it. Now I'm trying to think of all the troublesome 3/3 fliers out there... 

I honestly don't think the deck fears 3/3 fliers at all though. I'm not trying to be dismissive of your suggestion...I just don't get it. Now I'm trying to think of all the troublesome 3/3 fliers out there... 

I think he meant the Seraph has an good body to cmc ratio that you might consider it in your aggressive build.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Well the point isn't to defend against the 3/3s, it's to beat face until a 4/X or Deathtouch Flying/Reach creature comes out. That's Thornweald Archer, Divinity of Pride, Vampire Nighthawk, Angel of Flight Alabaster, Baneslayer Angel, Firewing Phoenix, sometimes Jace's Phantasm, Moroii, Demigod of Revenge, and Basandra, Battle Seraph - and a bunch of stuff at six or more mana.

Of those, AW, CL, RG, AoW, and DP are mostly 2HG decks when they see play at all. Firewing doesn't make most cuts of BoF because it dies too easily itself and isn't really worth recurring unless you're flooded. That means largely your big opposition is the mirror match, Demigods, or OD's Nighthawk. In the mean time, you've got two or more free swings in the air. Nevermind that you're running 10+ removal spells to get blockers out of the way. You've already said that you intend to win in the air anyhow. I'd drop a Guildmage. They're usually just bears - if the game goes long enough that you actually want the one still in there, you've got a fair shot of drawing him.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I think swapping in the Seraph causes the land count to start favor Plains then, so 10 :B: and 11 :W:. Maybe not a huge deal, but I find it annoying since double black is way more important to the deck. I end up running all 4 Expanses because of it, but I generally like running more lands than most anyways. Helps Obby out a little bit at least.
I think swapping in the Seraph causes the land count to start favor Plains then, so 10 :B: and 11 :W:. Maybe not a huge deal, but I find it annoying since double black is way more important to the deck. I end up running all 4 Expanses because of it, but I generally like running more lands than most anyways. Helps Obby out a little bit at least.

You're right, according to the mock deck editor. No other mono-Whites to remove and since the dopey logic of the land balancer considers Hybrid to be whichever colour there's less symbols of in the deck, that means it's weighing them as White because of all the double Black cards. It really should just weigh hybrid as equal since either colour can cast. Mutter. So the move might not be worth it just because the land sorter is rubbish even though it's otherwise a good call. :/

I hope i can build a deck like i have in real life thats build mostly around these three cards:

roaring primadox, archaeomancer, and talrand's invocation

then troll unsuspection players online with an army of 2/2 fliers, mwahahaha, lol XD

*Edit: i also run cards that let me untap mana and add to my mana pool so i can still play spells, counters and creatures while droping my 4 mana arial army building bomb each turn! :P

Also note this isnt the only deck i run irl, this is just my blue green deck, I also have a red black deck and a mono white deck built.

My Mono white is a 60 card deck.

My blue green deck is a 74 card deck 

and my red black deck is an 87 card deck.
Back on topic. Mobius, good choice of deck to showcase how a good curve can be better than just playing your most powerful cards. I think that is one of the most important deck building lessons for a new player.

Same with rogues gallery, running walking corpse is a must even though the card is awful.
Regarding Hearthstone:  The whole game seems like a bad version of Plants vs Zombies or Hearts (normal playing cards) to me, where you just select a drop down menu to leave/win/lose.  Then you play every week, to keep up some kinda virtual points to game.  I thought it was like where it could be a card game, backed by a company.

This is in response to the Heathstone that some guy locked.

Also, in response to Selesnya being the best, HELL YA!  Altho I disagree with the 5/5 token for 4 flash, and the 4UU mega gamer?  I'm really glad Zac Hill is gone, maybe some guy like that one guy will be the master of the game with the Sanctuary Cat... so it doesn't go lame.

I mean Sealed is the#1 right!  I want it for real, not like grinding out the deck, some real magic masters who can put the game right w/o reuse of the influences of Banding and such.  Long or short game, GTFO!  show me your elbow, get the middle times or else it will be like hearthstone with exile and monsters that bring back monster 'voice of reason' get out Zac HILL!!!!

You're right, according to the mock deck editor. No other mono-Whites to remove and since the dopey logic of the land balancer considers Hybrid to be whichever colour there's less symbols of in the deck, that means it's weighing them as White because of all the double Black cards. It really should just weigh hybrid as equal since either colour can cast. Mutter. So the move might not be worth it just because the land sorter is rubbish even though it's otherwise a good call. :/

I do think the card is overall pretty solid though, so playing it shouldn't be considered too bad of a move. Four toughness is pretty huge in a number of match ups, the defensive ability occasionally is relevant, and I think the deck in general likes the air beats. The only thing really going against it is the clunky mana cost when the deck benefits slightly more with the swamp focus.

I don't really have much to disagree with the build. Everything in that list is pretty solid. I have a small list of cards that have disappointed me on more than one occasion, but I don't think there is anything not in the list that I wouldn't say the same thing about. Maybe the Seraph, but I'm sure the :W::W: conflicted with a :B::B: card at some point.

Maybe the one thing I'd probably change is the third ZP. I love the card, but I feel it's at its best when backed by a slightly more offensive creature line up. There is a lot of removal already in this list, and don't think there is enough of a creature presence here that benefits from running all three ZPs. If we had more things like Midnight Haunting (deck would kill for Lingering Souls), then I'd probably run three all day.

Then again, what to replace it with, right? A lot of the cards on the sideboard aren't that great, otherwise we'd already be running them. I do like getting Seraph in there, but if anyone was happy with the current land counts, then that's probably a disappointing addition.

EDIT: On second thought, I'd probably cut a Pillory first instead. It's another card that disappoints me from time to time being an enchantment. I still think ZP could have better support, but it's at least a better answer to some weenie decks/token plays out there.
Wait, I can come to this forum to talk (incorrectly) about Magic again? Sweet!

Anyway, my only major comment is that the Ghost Council of Orzhova needs to be in here. It's a 4/4 for five (yes folks, it's a 5-drop), and it is extremely difficult to remove. Also, having a sacrifice outlet is extremely useful when playing against decks that try to manipulate your resources. When he's on the field, you're basically immune to things like Rite of Replication, Mind Control (yes people still run that), Sower of Temptation (unless you have the removal in hand for it) and opposing Pillories, just to name a few. You can also "counter" a lot of other spells in the game if they're aimed at your dude (things like Brightflame). Very great card.

Other, more minor gripes, would be running all three Zealous Persecution and all four Pillory of the Sleepless. I think two of each is fine, because you already have Damnation, Vindicate, and 4x Unmake. Your removal suite is 14 cards, but I really think 11 is more than enough.

I'm also not completely sold on the Mourning Thrull and Edge of the Divinity "combo". I prefer my Doomed Traveler and Onyx Mage, thank you very much. This is certainly very minor overall, but I just feel like having a 1CMC creature that can block twice to be good enough on its own, while adding more value with some of the other cards in the deck. It's also great to come out on the other side of a wrath with a creature, even if it's just a spirit token. Considering that choice, I think Onyx Mage is the better two-drop in my deck.

I also run Gravedigger because I like to buy back my lost threats (Liege/Ob/Bloodgift), but I admit he's pretty terrible. I play Midnight Haunting as well because having two power at instant-speed can sometimes help you take down an attacking threat they felt safe about; and two "hasted" creatures with evasion isn't that terrible. These are probably the first two cards I'd cut, though, if I were to make some changes.
Since we are talking about Sealed and Black and White, I'm worried that after a while everyone will run Black and/or White in the sealed version of the game because Murder and Pacifism are commons.  I understand it doesn't work like that in real life, but you also don't get 9 packs and unlimited rerolls (paid or unpaid).  Maybe I am underestimating the development team but I fail to see how any common card can compare to Murder. 

My reasoning is that I expect these Sealed decks to be much weaker, simpler, and more boring than what we are used to in DOTP 2013.  I don't think we will haven enough of the necessary cards to make a powerful deck styled like 2013 Krenko, Chandra, Jace, Talrand.  These require rares like Goblin Piledriver and Chieftain or just too many of the same type of card like in burn or mill.  I DO think we will have enough cards to mimic a weaker version of Orzhov, Golgari, Odric, and Lilianna.    Drop your small guys, remove anything that moves, then drop your bombs.  That style I think can still be run even with just a few bombs.  (I understand Golgari uses 3 rare board wipes, but it would still be top tier even with 1).

If you are not using removal your deck will probably look something like a low token Collective might.  Drop as many dudes as you can, have them stand around and then swing when you have combat tricks.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fully plan on using black (and probably white) the first few times around until I see too much of it.
Since we are talking about Sealed and Black and White, I'm worried that after a while everyone will run Black and/or White in the sealed version of the game because Murder and Pacifism are commons.  I understand it doesn't work like that in real life, but you also don't get 9 packs and unlimited rerolls (paid or unpaid).  Maybe I am underestimating the development team but I fail to see how any common card can compare to Murder. 

My reasoning is that I expect these Sealed decks to be much weaker than what we are used to in DOTP 2013.  I don't think we will haven enough of the necessary cards to make a powerful deck styled like 2013 Krenko, Chandra, Jace, Talrand.  These require rares like Goblin Piledriver and Chieftain or just too many of the same type of card like in burn or mill.  I DO think we will have enough cards to mimic a weaker version of Orzhov, Golgari, Odric, and Lilianna.    Drop your small guys, remove anything that moves, then drop your bombs.  That style I think can still be run even with just a few bombs.  (I understand Golgari uses 3 rare board wipes, but it would still be top tier even with 1).

If you are not using removal your deck will probably look something like a low token Collective might.  Drop as many dudes as you can, have them stand around and then swing when you have combat tricks.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fully plan on using black (and probably white) the first few times around until I see too much of it.

This is a lot off-topic for this thread, man. It's a interesting discussion, but should go somewhere like here.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I was going to comment until Hakeem made my point for me. I prefer the Doomed Traveller, Onyx Mage, for basically the same reasons. I want to stall till 5 mana to win with this deck, and a 1/1 that can chump twice (second time around with flying) is terrific. Onyx isn't like my best buddy or anything, but I figure he just gives that extra UMF to the Traveller's/spirit tokens to get me where I need to be to win.  I don't think it's some amazing combo, but when you get them out, you generally wind up drawing the game out to where you get what you need to win.

I hate gravedigger and never run it, though.

I run the three ZP, because they can be intense for obvious reasons, and I generally want to see it all the time.

Don't remember what I do with Pillory, but it's been less than stellar when I DO get it, so I may not run it at all....can't remember. 
This build is really good. But of course I'd say that, since it's almost identical to mine ;)
I run Gravedigger, Keening Banshee and another expanse instead of  x2 Divinity of Pride and Ob Nixilis. Running a little too much land doesn't matter when it ensures you can play Bloodgift Demon as soon as possible to negate any potential card disadvantage from flooding and it helps you get double black.

I like that you don't run Doomed Travelers and any double white costed spells. I've been advocating cutting Doomed Traveler from this deck since I pretty much first laid eyes upon it. It's a very powerful card, but it just doesn't belong in this deck.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
Divinity is fantastic and I tried an Ob-less build, but he's just too good. You're missing three fantastic cards there.

The Traveler thing is preference, not really that important considering that 5cmc is the deck's sweet spot. I just find Traveler helps me get there more consistently. It doesn't have close to the upside of Thrull/Divinity, but like I said, your actual wincons are at 5cmc.
Allright, good discussion everyone. Now it's on to round 2. Let's really ramp up the arguments now. This is what I would run in a tournament, stakes or not.

ANCIENT WILDS:
Show

"KFC Chicken Little.....$1.29"

60 Cards. 25 Lands (25).

A library for Ancient Wilds (Yeva)

erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~?DqudK~~KFC Chicken Little.....$1.29~~3AOYQoU~~2B50uGS~~3=wlmkn~~3=pSCUd~~1?y6CmE~~3B?vxgc~~1=fnTm2~~1BCasOY~~3BW7QYi~~1=UrVuh~~1=zEtXI~~1BLmKQ=~~2AMztfB~~2?dZYzY~~2=wobNr~~1AXAkyI~~2BVEx5M~~1A6WNod~~1B8a5x5~~1A1nyUk~~))))))))

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left; border-width:1px; border-color:#759590; border-style:solid" cellspacing="0" border="0">

cost  

Creature 
■■■
 Elvish Visionary 
 1/1 

Fauna Shaman 
 2/2 

■■
 Thornweald Archer 
 2/1 

cost  

Creature 

Eternal Witness 
 2/1 

■■■
 Wood Elves 
 1/1 

Spell 
■■■
 Beast Within 

cost  

Creature 
■■
 Vengevine 
 4/3 

Wolfbriar Elemental 
 4/4 

Yeva, Nature's Herald 
 4/4 

Spell 
■■
 Erratic Portal 

■■
 Momentous Fall 

■■
 Natural Order 

cost  

Creature 
■■■
 Acidic Slime 
 2/2 

Stingerfling Spider 
 2/5 

■■■
 Thragtusk 
 5/3 

Spell 

Overrun 

cost  

Spell 

Wild Pair 

cost  

Creature 

Gaea's Revenge 
 8/5 

cost  

Creature 

Gigantomancer 
 1/1 

Terastodon 
 9/9 

erdana; font-size:9px; padding:0px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

Overview: Here, what I'm trying to do is create a (sometimes) very convoluted creature-combo deck. There are just so many routes to victory with this deck. You can Slime/Portal your opponent into oblivion. Set up a lethal Overrun or Gigantomancer swing. Thragtusk your way out of reach against the aggro decks. Turn 4 Natural Order for whatever is appropriate to set your opponent absurdly behind (or put them on a swift clock with Gaea's Revenge), et al. I also wanted to set it up to take full advantage of oft-overlooked Momentous Fall to help us "dig" for our combo pieces. 

THE WHYS:

25x Forest: I think even if I had access to land editing, I would be okay with this. 

3x Elvish Visionary: Why would you not run all of these? It cycles, and it can be sacrificed or recycled for value. 

1x Fauna Shaman: Depending on what's going on in the board, she can just hang out and get (and then throw away) Vengevines to the yard for future recursion. She even helps smooth out opening/early hands where a 7 or 8 drop is just hanging around, and you can obviously use something sooner. 

2x Thornweald Archer: Early defense mostly. Wilds isn't the fastest to get it's setup going, but once it does...

3x Beast Within: Hey, it's not often that Green gets some catch-all removal. It's not too often that you get punished for it's "drawback" either. Every now and again you can use it on one of your own things for value. 

1x Eternal Witness: I'm eternally grateful for the times I get to return something I discarded earlier with Fauna Shaman. You better have a real plan if you're just running this out there to get something like an Elvish Visionary back though (and that plan better involve an Erratic Portal

3x Wood Elves: Nature's Lore with a bonus 1/1 is worth the extra mana for me. Most importantly, it enables some pretty great turn 4 plays. Slimes, Tusks, and Portals with mana open. 

2x Erratic Portal: This is pretty self-explanatory. Look at how many ETB effects our creatures have. Less vulnerable (and restrictive) than that clown Primadox. 

2x Momentous Fall: Obviously meant to be abused with Thragtusk (draw 5, gain 3, get a 3/3) and Vengevine (draw 4, gain 3, recur Vine either immediately or in the near future). Like I mentioned at the top, this helps find additional "combo" pieces (or simply an Overrun to close out a game. I've seen all too often Wilds players take TOO much time setting up this and that...oftentimes in no way advancing their position to actually win (most of the time to simply not lose). I like to get the job done. 

2x Natural Order: Naturally, I cannot measure the order of magnitude that separates running 0 or 1 of these, to two. 

2x Vengevine: See: Fauna Shaman, Momentous Fall, beating face, brickwalling opponents. 

1x Wolfbriar Elemental: I love cards that scale in value over the course of a game, with the low end here being a 4/4 that stymies certain aggro decks, to mini-army in a can, into "I win next turn" (or this turn if flashed in with Yeva on opponent's EOT). 

1x Yeva, Nature's Herald: The face of the deck, yet probably the most mediocre piece. Not a bad thing to pitch with Shaman or to take a Fall in a pitch. Makes attacking a nightmare for your opponent if you untap with her. 

3x Acidic Slime: All. Three. You'd be surprised how many decks have a hard time recovering getting slimed on turn 4. Not a bad blocker (and occasional attacker) as well. Plus, we want them all for our singleton Wild Pair shenanigans. 

1x Overrun: Do your math correctly, and with even a moderate board present, this is usually an instant win. Makes your 5 deathtouch dudes push through a lot more damage (you only ever have to assign lethal damage, so your slimes are getting in for 5 (and archers for 4), minus 1 for each creature blocking it), and if you're going for the throat, any spare Beast Withins (and the mana to cast them) bolts to the face (I'm specifically referring to trample interactions here). 

1x Stingerfling Spider: One of our "silver bullet" answers to troublesome fliers should we need it. In matchups where we don't this is pretty miserable, so I only run the one. 

3x Thragtusk: It's hard to imagine that a card which is a staple in Standard wouldn't also run wild all over a format such as Duels. Plus, amazingly enough, we have numerous ways to abuse his abilities as well. 

1x Wild Pair: It's really only here to help search out Gigantomancer to set up either an insta-win or board wipe (be sure to time it well...you don't want to expose the 'Mancer unless you can extract maximum value from it). But hey, chaining Slimes and Tusks together is nice too.

1x Gaea's Revenge: A punisher of slow decks. Just be wary of sweepers and edict effects. 

1x Gigantomancer: I think we already discussed him in the Wild Pair chapter. The finer points of Magic sometimes slip by me, so I don't know what happens if you buff a dude AFTER you cast Overrun. I just always make sure to buff first. 

1x Terastodon: I'm not the biggest fan of this guy...he's mostly there to cheese your way to some free wins via a turn 4 Natural Order. Be sure to be mindful of what you're playing against when choosing what to nuke. I've seen a few times someone nuke 3 of Liliana's lands, only for her to respond with Swamp into Innocent Blood bash for 6. 

THE WHY NOTS:

1x Bond Beetle: So you really want to set up some Portal/Yeva/Warcaller stuff with THIS? The most practical use I've ever seen for this thing is turn 1 Taunting Elf into turn 2 Beetle, kill your x/1. That's not good enough Mr. Bond. 

1x Giant Growth: It's always wise to play around, but you'll find this to be a giant disappointment in this build. 

1x Joraga Warcaller: Wouldn't you just rather cast an Overrun or have a Gigantomancer on the field to cash in your early elves for even more value?

2x Taunting Elf: Not to taunt you fans or anything, but for every 1 game I have lost to this card, I won 9 more playing against it. NINETY PERCENT SON.

2x Ring of Kalonia: Simply granting trample is actually pretty reasonable, but barring taking advantage of that, growing one of your dudes simply takes much too long. 

1x Awakener Druid: Yay! Let's turn all of our opponent's removal spells (and a lot of their bounce spells) into Stone Rain! Wake up. 

1x Caller of the Claw: I guess it's serviceable. But holding up 3 mana to "counter" a wrath (which, in all honesty, we're not even that weak against) or to upgrade 1/1s into 2/2s following a suicide attack/block isn't very exciting. 

1x Carven Caryatid: It cycles and shuts down aggro for a turn or two, which is nice. But you never get to turn it sideways. I'd rather abuse some visionaries. 

2x Manaplasm: We have better ways to combo off than with this dude. 

1x Spawnwrithe: Fine in a more aggressive build (running Giant Growth to take advantage of it's inherent trample) but pretty underwhelming otherwise.

2x Yeva's Forcemage: See: Manaplasm

2x Ambassador Oak: In terms of real world mediocrity, I would compare this to the ambassador to a place like Ghana, or Djibouti. 

2x Briarpack Alpha: See: Yeva's Forcemage

1x Herd Gnarr: This thing would need trample to see play even in an aggressive build.

4x Roaring Primadox: Again, you don't NEED a bounce engine to get this deck to work/win, and I don't like that you're forced to use this (and can only use on your own dudes). I guess you save a mana every turn on a portal activation, but whatever. 

1x Stingerfling Spider: As stated before, having one in the deck is enough. 

1x Lurking Predators: Variance lurks here, and I always seem to be on the wrong end of it. With my luck, I'd ship a land to the bottom every time while my opponent develops his board.

2x Primordial Sage: For the moment, I'm happy enough with the Fall as my emergency source of card advantage.

1x Soul of the Harvest: "Enters" is better than "cast" and a 6/6 trampler is good, but again, even though I prefer Fall in general, I'm not the biggest fan of harvest time.

2x Wild Pair: I think 1 of these is more than enough. Having 3 6-mana (theoretically "do-nothing") enchantments in your deck is a bit wild for my tastes.

1x Wurmweaver Coil: Wurrrrrrmweeeeaver, I believe you are worthy to be de-spi-iiiiiiiiised. 

1x Elderscale Wurm: This is more of a sometimes "I don't lose" card than an "I win" card....and I like to win. 

2x Pelakka Wurm: What these wurms lakk in "I win" they make up for in "I don't lose...for a turn or two" in spades. 

1x Decree of Savagery: I mean, I guess you can put this at the top of the curve for an Elf/Warcaller themed deck and go to town with the savage beats.

1x Primal Surge: For ten mana, I reveal................Beast Within off the top. Brutal.

I like joraga for the ability to tutor any even power/toughness you want when wild pair is out or the combat trick when yeva is out..But really looks pretty close to what i ended up with tbh..
I really like this list, and while there are a few things I do differently I don't think the overall impact is that great.

Somewhat minor input: You're running two creatures at 8cmc that really need Natural Order or Wild Pair to get maximum value; pick one or the other and add a second Wild Pair to both lower the curve and add more consistency. I also really like Carven Caryatid because she's a fourth cantrip (very important to this deck's early game and for avoiding mulligans) that can dig out either Vengevine or Stingerfling via Wild Pair.

Very minor input: Momentous Fall, while very good, is very situational and best left as a singleton. Replacing the other copy with a singleton Roaring Primadox lets you keep your curve, with the upside of letting you get your bounce engine online without screwing your draws. It's basically only in your deck if you want it (via Wild Pair).

It feels so good to talk Magic again!
Only change I would suggest is I'd drop one Momentous Fall for either Soul of the Harvest or Pelakka Wurm. Fall can sometimes be a little difficult to find the right time to use, and you really don't want to be stuck with two in hand looking for that right time. Conversely, both the creatures I suggested are ones I'm plenty happy to Order out in the right matchups.

If I think I can force the early win, or have a Portal in hand for next turn to bounce a token, I'll go for the Terastodon. This applies to most non-Red decks. I can probably contain the 3/3s if I don't have to worry about staying out of burn range. This is especially good against MM or MS because those decks just plain don't function without several land.

If I'm expecting the game to go long but don't think the opponent has removal in hand, Soul is just the thing to get my card advantage going. This applies especially to Blue; if they didn't counter Order, then the worst they can probably do is clone or bounce it, and neither Blue deck is set up to take very good advantage of "draw a card when you play a dude." This also works against decks like AS where most/all of the removal are enchantments.

If I believe that no matter what I Order out, it's going to be killed immediately, I fetch the Wurm; I still cantrip and get seven life. This is for OD, GM, SS, or an MM that's already gotten rolling beyond the point where blowing up there lands will do much good.

(I have all three options because I also don't run Yeva.)

Also, even if you pick only one, you get another trampler anyhow, which means one less threat a Fog Bank or token can do much about. 

Only change I would suggest is I'd drop one Momentous Fall for either Soul of the Harvest or Pelakka Wurm. Fall can sometimes be a little difficult to find the right time to use, and you really don't want to be stuck with two in hand looking for that right time. Conversely, both the creatures I suggested are ones I'm plenty happy to Order out in the right matchups.

If I think I can force the early win, or have a Portal in hand for next turn to bounce a token, I'll go for the Terastodon. This applies to most non-Red decks. I can probably contain the 3/3s if I don't have to worry about staying out of burn range. This is especially good against MM or MS because those decks just plain don't function without several land.

If I'm expecting the game to go long but don't think the opponent has removal in hand, Soul is just the thing to get my card advantage going. This applies especially to Blue; if they didn't counter Order, then the worst they can probably do is clone or bounce it, and neither Blue deck is set up to take very good advantage of "draw a card when you play a dude." This also works against decks like AS where most/all of the removal are enchantments.

If I believe that no matter what I Order out, it's going to be killed immediately, I fetch the Wurm; I still cantrip and get seven life. This is for OD, GM, SS, or an MM that's already gotten rolling beyond the point where blowing up there lands will do much good.

(I have all three options because I also don't run Yeva.)

Also, even if you pick only one, you get another trampler anyhow, which means one less threat a Fog Bank or token can do much about. 

Start talking Magic more, I like the analysis. Still, though, is there anything worse than knowing exactly what you're going to Order on T4, only to draw it as soon as you untap? Very rare, but damn it sucks!
let find another artical I wrote
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Start talking Magic more, I like the analysis. Still, though, is there anything worse than knowing exactly what you're going to Order on T4, only to draw it as soon as you untap? Very rare, but damn it sucks!

I may even contribute to this thread at some point. If so it'll probably be MM and/or OD since those are the two I feel most comfortable with - although on the other hand 97% of my experience is 2HG for Duels, sooooo...

Oh, right. I intimated that I'd be useful. Well, let me get to it.

We'll start with OD, because, well, I'm a damned Black mage.

Show

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">"Tier Debate - Obedient Dead"60 Cards. 25 Lands (25).A library for Obedient Dead (Liliana)erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~=7tyUd~~Tier Debate - Obedient Dead~~2ALT8=L~~2=mcT0d~~2A6mwVe~~2BgYzzP~~1BJM6PD~~1?v8zme~~1A0eY70~~2AiuW9z~~1?xbXJT~~1?O2Kpn~~4=EAao0~~2?bYIRi~~2B7FRCd~~1?d9QW0~~2=ZFqh9~~2AOZlYH~~1?6J82u~~1=QHXCq~~1==RlPy~~1=S1Z66~~1AiuPik~~1Bt3kN6~~1BIRTB=~~))))))))
erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid rgb(71, 38, 85); border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">   cost   Creature ■■ Fume Spitter  1/1    Spell ■■ Innocent Blood   ■ Mire's Toll      cost   Creature ■■ Blister Beetle  1/1    Spell ■■ Jet Medallion   ■■ Sign in Blood      cost   Creature ■■ Liliana's Specter  2/1   ■ Vampire Nighthawk  2/3    Spell ■ Infest   ■ Last Kiss   ■■■■ Murder   ■■ Underworld Dreams      cost   Creature ■■ Liliana's Shade  1/1   ■ Phyrexian Obliterator  5/5    Spell ■ Diabolic Tutor   ■ Mutilate   ■ Tendrils of Corruption      cost   Spell ■■ Rise from the Grave      cost   Creature ■ Grave Titan  6/6   ■ Massacre Wurm  6/5    Spell ■ Corrupt      cost   Creature ■ Rune-Scarred Demon  6/6      cost   Creature ■ Griselbrand  7/7   erdana; font-size:9px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

Why's and why-nots:

(Not linking the Whys, they're linked above.)

One drops: Spitters, Bloods, and Toll - this is largely an anti-Goblin build. Not totally dedicated, as when I checked before doing this I was only seeing gobbos about 50% of the time. A few months back people talked like it was 20 or 30% higher. Still, you want to come prepared for it, but not so focused you lose heavy amounts of games to other matchups. Anyhow, this is all cheap, quick removal and Toll is because it's your best out at nailing an Artefact or Enchantment before they hit the table where you're powerless to do anything about them. Failing that, it's good for setting up Rise from the Grave.

Two drops: Beetle, Medallion, Sign - the Beetles can two-for-one any of the weenie decks, which is pretty decent. They're kind of a rubbish draw against control decks and can get stuck in your hand. There's not really a good substitute for them without going to at least 4 CMC though. The Medallions are because you just flat out have some late game bombs it would be a shame not to run. Plus they enable an awesome play for four drops. Sign is draw. Draw is good.

Three drops: Spectre, Nighthawk, Murder, Infest, Kiss, Dreams - Spectre is going to pay for himself as soon as he hits by snagging a card. He's an air presence, which you lacked up to this point, and a potential two-for-one. Nighthawk and Murder are just auto-includes. Infest is your earrly mass removal, being good enough to get the job done against a lot of decks a turn sooner than DoJ, or possibly mid-game with mana left for something else. The little extra life off Kiss helps against aggro, and Dreams just flat-out wrecks some decks when it hits. Also, in the rare case you trip over a DP matchup, answering turn two Howling Mine with Dreams is lulzy.

Four drops: Shade, Obliterator, Tendrils, Tutor, Mutilate - Shade is a beast. I actually would like to run another but I don't want to drop a 2 CMC Beetle nor any of the other higher cards. The Medallion/Shade opener is great. You've fished a land out and have a -1/-0 Nantuko Shade for it. It beats, it chumps, it scares off attacks, and it helps ramp you to those big demons at the end. Obliterator and Tutor are pure derp to not run, Tendrils is more sexy lifegain, and Mutilate is not just a wipe, but if you've got a Medallion out, some of the creatures you can have out might survive the Mutilate.

Five drops: Rise - not much to say here other than even if no one discards a creature early game, you can still use this mid-game to get a beater back. If someone does discard an early dude, even better.

Six drops: Titan, Wurm, Corrupt - everything from here on out is bad news for everyone. Titan is obviously a beast, and Wurm can win games you thought were lost. One of the chief targets for Rise as chances are people just dumped a couple of more weenies they'd been holding since he died. Corrupt rarely ever disappoints. Usually big enough to kill anything and can dome if needed.

Above that: Rune and Grisel. Really, these or Nightmares are all acceptable flying beats. Rune is super efficiently costed, even if you're considering his ability to be 1:B: like Demonic Tutor. Grisel has two effective modes; win the game, and win the game. Either by lifelink, drawing entire new hands, or both. While I'm sure I lost a game or two waiting for Grisel mana to show, I don't think I ever lost one where he hit.

The losers:

One drop: Crippling Blight - It's a Fume Spitter I can't block with if I need to. Next!

Two drop: Nantuko Shade - I've gotten flak for running this, but even though I used to run an MBC deck where this was my only dude, I don't run him here. My MBC deck had three other things going for it; better draw, more sweepers, and Cabal Coffers which trivialised mana issues. In this deck you're developing a board early and dropping huge expensive things late. Blister is the only two drop you might want less than him on turn two, really.

Three drops: Dread Warlock, Warpath Ghoul - There's some aggro deck you can build with these and the Nantuko Shadoe. That's not the deck I'm building though.

Four drops: Icy Manipulator, Befoul, Bloodhunter Bat, Liliana's Shade, Nekrataal - I actually run Nek and Befoul in 2HG, where there's a stronger shot at least one of the two opponents isn't in heavy Black. They can end up being borderline useless in Black matches though. Icy does a little better, and if this deck had less other ways around Pro Black, it might be useful. The bats are just bad filler until you unlock cards, and I'd actually run more Shades if I could.

Five drops: Halo Hunter, Nightwing Shade, Nested Ghoul, Veilborn Ghoul, Incremental Blight - These are basically all just variations on bad cards. The main Angel you'd want to kill you can't target, Nightwing Shade is plain awful, Nested Ghoul lacks any other cards to make him do cute tricks, Veilborn is in the wrong deck; if I can recur something, I want it able to be sacrificed for something or able to chump. I can't do either with this. Blight requires three targets, and unlike Cone of Flame, you can't make domes into targets in an emergency.

Six drops: Dread, Hellcarver Demon, Nightmare, Xathrid Gorgon, Nightmare Incursion, Public Execution - Dread has its uses, but I just like my other options better. Hellcarver is too risky, Xathrid is too slow, Nightmare Incursion is for paring with mill in 2HG and Execution is more or less Limited removal.

Seven drop: Phage the Untouchable - Why? Rune is better in every way that matters.

Eight drops: Avatar of Woe, Pestilence Demon, Reiver Demon - Avatar is often two mana by turn five in 2HG, but this isn't 2HG. Pestilence isn't Grisel and neither is Reiver.

Top drops: Plague Wind, Exsanguinate - the former is just too expensive for duels, and the latter's just extra, bad Corrupts outside 2HG. 

Nice deck. Personally i think blister beetle is awful and unneccesary when you have so much removal. Nantuko shade is better for 1v1. Also underworld dreams is too little impact in 1v1. The rest i agree with though. I run the extra shade's in 1v1 as they are a great threat.
Nice deck. Personally i think blister beetle is awful and unneccesary when you have so much removal. Nantuko shade is better for 1v1. Also underworld dreams is too little impact in 1v1. The rest i agree with though. I run the extra shade's in 1v1 as they are a great threat.

Beetle is the one card in there solely for the Goblin matchup, because it almost always kills one and can trade with another or stall Piledriver a turn. In 2HG I run quite a different deck and neither Fume Spitters or Beetles are in it and I run all four Liliana's Shades because they're friggin' awesome. ^_^ Trying to decide if I want to do MM next since I have so little 1 vs. 1 experience with it.

looks alot like what i ended up with for 2hg minus the beetles, spitters, medallians, last kiss, and greislbrand....+all shades befouls and exsanguinates..which I guess isn't that similar really...

the yeva deck was almost the same for you dudes 2player and my 2hg hmm... this deck have more stars for flexibility???hahahah

and you pretty much said you like those cards for 2hg anyway so what am i saying? who knows..
No griselbrand? He is one of the best finishers in the game
No griselbrand? He is one of the best finishers in the game

+1

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

MM - 

Show

"Duel Edition"

60 Cards. 24 Lands (20 basic; 4 other).

A library for Mana Mastery (Rainbow)

erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~ATzVfH~~Duel Edition~~1=ocVh4~~4?=f=2r~~1Bob1X9~~4=4muC2~~2B28G3W~~1AYbc44~~2?eEcrk~~4A6qsez~~3==WM18~~4?2vriJ~~1AZBANo~~2BEoJ0C~~2?5l705~~2?DQN1h~~1?gJ1y0~~1=bsgK2~~2AY10xV~~1B85w1b~~1?0aNiw~~1=vhBhE~~))))))))

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #40ae44; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">

Land 

Spell 
■■■■
 Terramorphic Expanse 

[/m]Land[m

cost  

Spell 
■■■■
 Rampant Growth 

cost  

Spell 
■■
 Bant Charm 

■■■■
 Cultivate 

■■
 Jund Charm 

■■
 Maelstrom Pulse 

■■
 Naya Charm 

Pernicious Deed 

■■■
 Vindicate 

cost  

Spell 
■■
 Day of Judgment 

cost  

Spell 

All Suns' Dawn 

■■■■
 Allied Strategies 

■■
 Prophetic Bolt 

cost  

Creature 

Broodmate Dragon 
 4/4 

cost  

Creature 

Enigma Sphinx 
 5/4 

Kaervek the Merciless 
 5/4 

Magister Sphinx 
 5/5 

Spell 

Violent Ultimatum 

cost  

Creature 

Sphinx of the Steel Wind 
 6/6 

[/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  

Spell 

Lavalanche 

[/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana; font-size:9px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

Lands: I find four fetches to be the ideal number for this mana curve. You really need to hit seven mana and there's a lot of colour variety here.

Two drops: Full set.

Three drops: The charms are really the only optional things here and I see little reason not to run them all in a duel. Jund Charm is the weakest in that in most match-ups, only one mode is likely to be of much use, but it's a REALLY useful mode. I mean I run Infest in OD and this does almost exactly the same thing at Instant.

Four drops: Only two DoJ, both for mana base and redundancy reasons. We're already running most of the sweepers and having three different useless sweepers in hand is pretty rubbish. I've been there.

Five drops: Allied, ASD, Bolt - It's really tempting to only go with three Allied, but getting that first one is SO important, because you often have to keep hands with no apparent late game in them. Four lands, two Charms, and a Rampant is a total keeper if any land is or can get Green. Yet this hand has no threat or sweeper, but Allied can fill your hand with both quickly. ASD is also a great reason to play charms and other early multicoloured spells; it's basically a fifth Allied, except you have control over what you "draw." Speaking of which, there's also Bolt, which does fair damage-to-mana-cost ratio and replaces itself with whatever you need most out of your top four. I find having all this card selection at five mana is really key to making the deck run smoothly.

Six drop: Interesting fun fact - this is exactly the build I use for 2HG except I swapped Conflux for a second Jund Charm and Progenitus for this. The theory going that while CW isn't a big deck in one on one, giving them free Bribery wins seems pointless, since Proggy's also fairly hard for you to kill, especially with just two DoJ. Broodmate, on the other hand, is annoying for CW (and a few other decks) to easily deal with, yet doesn't give you much problems. You've got Bolts, better fliers, et cetera.

Seven drops: Kaervek, Ultimatum, Sphinx twins - Ultimatum is largely good because not only is it in what I consider to be the deck's primary colours anyhow, but it just nails anything and is ridiculous if you recur it even once. It's hard to say no to. Magister Sphinx can be lifegain or anti-lifegain, and works great for both. Enigma Sphinx is a pure beauty; the free spell is nice, but it's also just a super annoying threat for most decks to get rid of. Anything aside from Unmake is probably just a temporary measure. Kaervek works well in general. He draws removal like a pro and if he isn't killed, your opponent can't do anything without bringing you closer to victory.

Big time: Sphinx, Lavalanche - Lavalanche just seems self-evident. The Sphinx...well, why not? It's got Vigilance, Flying, First Strike, AND Lifelink, making it a pure combat nightmare. The dual protection comes in handy against things like Acidic Slime, Stingerfling Spider, Terminate, and Torch Fiend too. 

Didn't Make the Cut Crew:

Four drops: Gloryscale Viashino, Witch-Maw Nephilim, Lightning Angel - Viashino wants to be in a more aggressive deck with Knight of New Alara and Marisi's Twinclaws. This isn't that deck. The Nephilim is too slow; yes, it can get huge, but honestly by the time it gets there you could have just run Fusion Elemental and had a bigger but equally crappy creature sooner. Fusion already doesn't make the cut itself. The Angel suffers from two things; I really want Green and Black active early, so I don't want to force these colours turn three/four, and I just don't need it. The deck isn't aggressive enough to take advantage of the early offence, and it's rare for many critters to be on the other side of the board to need blocking in the first place.

Five drops: Child of Alara, Fusion Elemental, Maelstrom Nexus, Finest Hour, Maelstrom Archangel - You never want to see a Child popped while you have Deed or another creature out. That's exactly when your opponent will hit it, and you have enough other ways between Vindicates, Deed, and Pulses to deal with non-creature problems. Fusion is just big meat in a deck that doesn't want or need that. Nexus does nothing on its own, and I'd rather spend that mana on a card selection spell. Finest Hour is win-more. I could actually make an argument for the Archangel, because it's a good size for its cost and the ability is great, but thing is I really can't cut anything under this CMC because it's the stuff that keeps the machine oiled, and the stuff above this CMC is what I'd want to use with it anyhow. And I'd need the stuff at this CMC to keep my hand full of targets for it. I wouldn't mock anyone who ran it over the Broodmate though. You'd regret it once in awhile, but you'd probably be happy about it just about as often.

Six drops: Defiler of Souls, Meglonoth, Vorosh, the Hunter, Elder Mastery, Pale Recluse - Defiler's actually pretty decent, it's just being beat out by the fact that all the guys I'm running are even bigger all-stars. Same with Megs - Steelwind Sphinx does basically everything I'd want it to do for only two more mana, and a lot more as well. I could see Defiler over Broodmate as well, especially since the Broodmate token is the only thing of yours it would ever risk killing. Vorosh is win-more. Elder Mastery invites card disadvantage, which is the opposite of how this deck wins. I don't need the landcycling of the Recluses, I don't need their blocking, and they're crap on the attack.

Seven drop: Charnelhoard Wurm - same thing as Proggy; HORRIBLE thing to have in your deck against CW. "Why yes, I WILL take the card that gives me another infinite turn combo, thanks."

Eight listers and two Twisters: Savage Twister, Empyrial Archangel, Godsire. Prince of Thralls, Conflux, Death Mutation - The Twisters are just flat bad for this build; you don't want to flip them off Enigma Sphinx, and they're mana inefficient compared to DoJs or Jund Charms. If you're expecting to see Goblins all day every day I might drop an Allied and a Bant charm for them, but meh. Archangel is again outclassed by Sphinx of the Steel Wind. It already does a fine job of making sure I don't get damaged, and is another thing I don't want Bribed. Godsire is the eight mana Fusion that makes more Fusions which I already said I don't want. Prince of Thralls is always going to give you the worse of those two choices, and Conflux is awesome but I feel it's a tad slow outside 2HG.

wow agreeing with these lists is annoying! /wants to argue! 

Think I took out the bigger sphinx for conflux in 2hg and added nexus and 2 or so cards... just to see if the enemy mill deck will start milling my teamate before he realizes what deck I am

and yea haha no greselbrand figured someone might notice that XD

not sure i have a good reason for it really just doing what i do...maybe its cause of talrand? hhmm no... cause then id take out runescar as well... maybe cause i like shorter casting costs and it let me get rid of the medallions as well?..not really sure why I eventually got rid of him tbh..

Sign In to post comments