Are Dragons real or just myths

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this is an age old question but tell me what do you think can they exist if yes how so? and if no how so?

I dragons do exist and are in fact somehow in hiding because they have better intelligence than us.

What do you think?
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I have a Custom Title, therefore I am real.

And better than a jingoistic birdbrain.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
IMAGE(http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/LolaBonne/Forum%20Pics/facehoof.jpg)
Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.
Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.


Yes. Those flying dinosaurs are still around. They're called birds . Pterosaurs, what you were probably thinking of, were a seperate group from Dinosauria, and actually predate them by a bit. Also, as they predate humanity and other hominids by quite a bit more, the shaky ground for "collective unconciousness" is inapplicable.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.


Yes. Those flying dinosaurs are still around. They're called birds . Pterosaurs, what you were probably thinking of, were a seperate group from Dinosauria, and actually predate them by a bit. Also, as they predate humanity and other hominids by quite a bit more, the shaky ground for "collective unconciousness" is inapplicable.



Right. Things arguably as "strange" as dragons have existed. Personally, I am not so sure that the idea of a collective unconsciousness is reliant on hominids. Also, as the holder of an admittedly dated Anthropology degree, I saw the estimated origin of humanity get pushed back well over two hundred thousand years just in the four years I was in college. So I do not think we fully understand the origin of our species, and only a true fool would argue otherwise; simultaneously, quantum physics points to an interconnectedness of all things. I was not saying we were contemporaries with dinosaurs, but the world is a strange and beautiful place, and "silly" as dragons might seem, I felt the notion deserved a little more than laughter and derision.
Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.


Yes. Those flying dinosaurs are still around. They're called birds . Pterosaurs, what you were probably thinking of, were a seperate group from Dinosauria, and actually predate them by a bit. Also, as they predate humanity and other hominids by quite a bit more, the shaky ground for "collective unconciousness" is inapplicable.



Right. Things arguably as "strange" as dragons have existed. Personally, I am not so sure that the idea of a collective unconsciousness is reliant on hominids. Also, as the holder of an admittedly dated Anthropology degree, I saw the estimated origin of humanity get pushed back well over two hundred thousand years just in the four years I was in college. So I do not think we fully understand the origin of our species, and only a true fool would argue otherwise; simultaneously, quantum physics points to an interconnectedness of all things. I was not saying we were contemporaries with dinosaurs, but the world is a strange and beautiful place, and "silly" as dragons might seem, I felt the notion deserved a little more than laughter and derision.


I'm not saying it's reliant on hominids. I consider the concept to be as "out there" as Niburu. "Collective unconcious" is unlikely because the phrase implies an interlinking between the minds of individuals, though I'm sure that isn't what you meant. The term I think you were going for (correct me if I'm wrong) would be better described as "racial memory." Frankly, there's no support for that concept. Instinctive behaviors are well demonstrated, on the other hand, and I consider the origin of the dragon (the Western varieties, at least) to likely have more basis in both predators that frequently prey on primates (traits of birds of prey, snakes, and big cats often appear in dragons) and in concepts the groups that created the myths respected (again, dangerous animals, along with fire.) Instinctive behavior isn't a "collective unconcious", however.
While quantum physics does (or may; I don't remember the specifics right now) imply a "connectedness of all things", this is on the subatomic level. It would not have any appreciable effect on memory or even biology, beyond the fact that it's a part of the universe's rules.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Dragons are extinct, the unicorns killed them off.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Of course they're real. They're being covered up by the penguins, and the true purpose of the Magic Bullet(Of course there was one, forged by Illuminati mystics) was to prevent us from learning the TRUTH!

Also, the plastic tips at the nds of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister. 
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
www.amazon.com/Flight-Dragons-Peter-Dick...

Theorectially possible.  Not very likely.

Also, the plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister. 

Their true purpose is fitting a flat braid through a circular hole.
Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.


Yes. Those flying dinosaurs are still around. They're called birds . Pterosaurs, what you were probably thinking of, were a seperate group from Dinosauria, and actually predate them by a bit. Also, as they predate humanity and other hominids by quite a bit more, the shaky ground for "collective unconciousness" is inapplicable.

well i think flying dinosaurs went extinct long before humans came,, what do you mean by collective consciousness ?

html_removed
Of course they're real. They're being covered up by the penguins, and the true purpose of the Magic Bullet(Of course there was one, forged by Illuminati mystics) was to prevent us from learning the TRUTH!

Also, the plastic tips at the nds of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister. 

i agree

html_removed
Dragons are extinct, the unicorns killed them off.

That sounds absurd ! are you serious ? Unicorns kill dragons.... craziest thing I ever heard....get your facts rights

html_removed
I wouldnt let a unicorn hear you say that.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Dragons are extinct, the unicorns killed them off.



IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Komodo_dragon_with_tongue.jpg/800px-Komodo_dragon_with_tongue.jpg)

Sad Komodo is sad...
Dragons are extinct, the unicorns killed them off.



Yeah they'll unleash the power of friendship on the scaly's ass and it's all over after that.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP COMPELS YOU!!!

Man, those damn Bronies can ruin anything, can't they?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Of course they're real. They're being covered up by the penguins, and the true purpose of the Magic Bullet(Of course there was one, forged by Illuminati mystics) was to prevent us from learning the TRUTH!

Also, the plastic tips at the nds of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister. 



Thank you, Question.

Well, there were flying dinosaurs. Close enough. You could argue they stuck around in the collective unconscious and eventually became part of myth and legend.


Yes. Those flying dinosaurs are still around. They're called birds . Pterosaurs, what you were probably thinking of, were a seperate group from Dinosauria, and actually predate them by a bit. Also, as they predate humanity and other hominids by quite a bit more, the shaky ground for "collective unconciousness" is inapplicable.

well i think flying dinosaurs went extinct long before humans came,, what do you mean by collective consciousness ?


To the former: no, birds are so closely related to dinosaurs of the Theropod group as to be essentially a part of Dinosauria as a whole. They're still alive and well.
"Collective unconscious" and "genetic memory" are concepts of memory and ideas being passed on through heredity. There is no acceptable evidence for it, so as far as we can tell, it's complete poppycock best left to fantasy and soft sci-fi. 
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
What's a bronie?



MLP fan.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
What's a bronie?

MLP fan.

Translation: [Denigrating term that could be applied to EE & EA]
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
To the former: no, birds are so closely related to dinosaurs of the Theropod group as to be essentially a part of Dinosauria as a whole. They're still alive and well.
"Collective unconscious" and "genetic memory" are concepts of memory and ideas being passed on through heredity. There is no acceptable evidence for it, so as far as we can tell, it's complete poppycock best left to fantasy and soft sci-fi. 



Umm ... Goa'uld?  Hello? 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

To the former: no, birds are so closely related to dinosaurs of the Theropod group as to be essentially a part of Dinosauria as a whole. They're still alive and well.
"Collective unconscious" and "genetic memory" are concepts of memory and ideas being passed on through heredity. There is no acceptable evidence for it, so as far as we can tell, it's complete poppycock best left to fantasy and soft sci-fi. 



Umm ... Goa'uld?  Hello? 




He's clearly a mere Jaffa, with no knowledge of his masters' true nature.

That explains a lot, actually.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)

Further Reading:


Dragons: An Introduction to the Modern Infestation [1980] by Pamela Wharton Blanpied
Dragons: The Modern Infestation [1996] by Pamela Wharton Blanpied


The author provides references from The New Zealand School of Dragon Studies, the Journal of Verminology, not counting five other pages of bibliography.


In support of frothsof:


Dragons are part of the myths and legends of 6 out of 7 continents [Antarctica is still keeping its secrets] and their numerous ethnicities.  Whether you call it a “collective unconscious” or by some other name, these societies believed in some sort of large scaly predator sharing many common features.


Some of the greatest discoveries by archeologist have been made by tracking down myths and legend.  Even today new discoveries are being made regarding ancient cultures and life on this planet.


However, if you think “collective unconscious” is not evident try to trace your own ancestral history I’ve recommended 15 generations before to show what the average person in Fallcrest remembers.  Most people cannot and yet many assume that certain historic events must have had an impact on their family’s history.  Yet, it is these events that make for our “collective unconscious” and building the myths and legends today.  Do time machines, foo-fighters, or search for ancient relics sound familiar?  They are common lore we know of stemming from WW2.


A more recent example, just mention 9/11 to someone and the can tell you how the planes struck the Twin Towers, but few remember that it happened before in NY. 

Your 9/11 example confuses collective unconsciousness with common and oft-mentioned knowledge, and levels thereof.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)
He's clearly a mere Jaffa, with no knowledge of his masters' true nature.

That explains a lot, actually.



He'll never make First Prime at this rate. 

Your 9/11 example confuses collective unconsciousness with common and oft-mentioned knowledge, and levels levelof.



Well that and the fact that dragons aren't real and that myths and legends prove that people back then thought all sorts of messed up stuff. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

He's clearly a mere Jaffa, with no knowledge of his masters' true nature.

That explains a lot, actually.



He'll never make First Prime at this rate. 






Your 9/11 example confuses collective unconsciousness with common and oft-mentioned knowledge, and levels levelof.



Well that and the fact that dragons aren't real and that myths and legends prove that people back then thought all sorts of messed up stuff. 



I'm not saying they're real, but I think the idea of a large, probably extinct, land mammal as yet unknown to science that could inspire dragon myths deserves more than just instant dismissal. The sheer ubiquity of these similar myths deserves a look, imo.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)

Your 9/11 example confuses collective unconsciousness with common and oft-mentioned knowledge, and levels thereof.


The collective unconscious is set apart from the personal unconscious, in that the personal unconscious is a personal reservoir of experience unique to each individual, while the collective unconscious collects and organizes those personal experiences have been learned in a similar way with each member of a particular race.


Thus, nearly 12 years later those born after or too young to have been personally effected by the attack have indeed inherited a collective unconscious of the events rather than having them develop individually, but it is neither monopsychism nor an archaic remnant.


However, the main point was that 9/11 has become a part of the world’s collective unconscious whereas a similar event faded from it.  The 1945 crash is a part of history, but is not a part of the collective.


"Collective unconscious" and "genetic memory" are concepts of memory and ideas being passed on through heredity. There is no acceptable evidence for it, so as far as we can tell, it's complete poppycock best left to fantasy and soft sci-fi. 



Only in a Jungian sense of the term. Genetic memory does exist biologically; we call it instinct. That's how fish know to swim as soon as their born.

"Collective unconcious" is much more far-fetched. Theoretically possible given the nature of brainwaves, but it's still sci-fi.  If there is a collective unconciousness, 9/11 certainly isn't part of it. It's just incredibly recent history that almost everyone was around for....

On the subject of a "common source" for the myth? Meh. Who knows. Flood myths are everywhere, too. Possibly there was a flood. Or possibly everbody had the same idea for a story. A lot of archetypes seem to have existed in multiple places by coincidence; the wheel showed up at close to the same time on different continents. Did you know that at least 45 non-English languages have almost identical idioms for the phrase "tip of the tongue"?

I certainly can't discount the theory of a common origin for the story, but lol @ real dragons. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.

Your 9/11 example confuses collective unconsciousness with common and oft-mentioned knowledge, and levels thereof.


The collective unconscious is set apart from the personal unconscious, in that the personal unconscious is a personal reservoir of experience unique to each individual, while the collective unconscious collects and organizes those personal experiences have been learned in a similar way with each member of a particular race.


Thus, nearly 12 years later those born after or too young to have been personally effected by the attack have indeed inherited a collective unconscious of the events rather than having them develop individually, but it is neither monopsychism nor an archaic remnant.


However, the main point was that 9/11 has become a part of the world’s collective unconscious whereas a similar event faded from it.  The 1945 crash is a part of history, but is not a part of the collective.


And why do those kids know about 9/11? Gee, it couldn't be because we mention it on the news all the time, or they get taught about it in class and have its horror and meaning emphasised constantly, right? They don't know about it because magic.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)


On the subject of a "common source" for the myth? Meh. Who knows. Flood myths are everywhere, too. Possibly there was a flood. Or possibly everbody had the same idea for a story.



Idea for an event based on common happenings=!= similar idea for creatures (startingly similar in some cases).



A lot of archetypes seem to have existed in multiple places by coincidence; the wheel showed up at close to the same time on different continents.



So did many other technological advancements (although perhaps not as simultaneously).


 Did you know that at least 45 non-English languages have almost identical idioms for the phrase "tip of the tongue"?

 



That's probably due to the false sensation of physically having a word on the tip of your tongue.

"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)
A) Some believe that "the flood" refers to the creation of either the Red Sea or the Black Sea, when the ocean (or Mediterranean, depending) broke through and wiped out a large portion of the population; the story then migrated with the survivors. Personally, I think the dragon myths are based off of dinosaur fossils, and the different species would explain different "types" of dragons.
B) Surprisingly, independent food production (agriculture) originated roughly the same time in China/India, the Fertile Crescent, Mesoamerica (Mexico), and South America. The wheel was only invented in three of those - the Mesoamericans never developed it, except as a toy. You know why?
Answer
It's the only one of those areas without large beasts of burden.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
A) Some believe that "the flood" refers to the creation of either the Red Sea or the Black Sea, when the ocean (or Mediterranean, depending) broke through and wiped out a large portion of the population; the story then migrated with the survivors.



Huh, that's fascinating.

Personally, I think the dragon myths are based off of dinosaur fossils, and the different species would explain different "types" of dragons.



This is a valid hypoothesis, but t also seems unlikely thst each region would discover only one or two types of fossils over their history.



B) Surprisingly, independent food production (agriculture) originated roughly the same time in China/India, the Fertile Crescent, Mesoamerica (Mexico), and South America. The wheel was only invented in three of those - the Mesoamericans never developed it, except as a toy. You know why?
Answer
It's the only one of those areas without large beasts of burden.



Interesting.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)


Personally, I think the dragon myths are based off of dinosaur fossils, and the different species would explain different "types" of dragons.



This is a valid hypoothesis, but t also seems unlikely thst each region would discover only one or two types of fossils over their history.






Nono, this is the theory I was referring to when I compared the "similar story origin" ideas. The concept actually explicitly involves each culture NOT finding only 1 or 2 types of fossils to base the dragon off of, even within their own mythos. The reason they had "dragons" from the fossils was because they pieced together multiple species incorrectly. Besides, dragons look slightly different across cultures, a testament to the idea that they all found different fossils and/or pieced them together differently.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
A) Some believe that "the flood" refers to the creation of either the Red Sea or the Black Sea, when the ocean (or Mediterranean, depending) broke through and wiped out a large portion of the population; the story then migrated with the survivors.



Huh, that's fascinating.

Personally, I think the dragon myths are based off of dinosaur fossils, and the different species would explain different "types" of dragons.



This is a valid hypoothesis, but t also seems unlikely thst each region would discover only one or two types of fossils over their history.



B) Surprisingly, independent food production (agriculture) originated roughly the same time in China/India, the Fertile Crescent, Mesoamerica (Mexico), and South America. The wheel was only invented in three of those - the Mesoamericans never developed it, except as a toy. You know why?
Answer
It's the only one of those areas without large beasts of burden.



Interesting.

I can offer a simpler explanation. There was a population bottleneck in human population down to a few 1000 individuals as recently as 65,000 ya. Its not at all far fetched to believe that human culture has its roots at least as far back as that. People have been using fire for at least 500ky and spears for between 150 and 400ky. They have been burying their dead ritually for about 90ky. Clearly culture is OLD. There's no reason why some elements of it can't date all the way back to 65kya when there was surely only a few small groups of humans left on Earth (probably due to the eruption of the super-volcano Toba).

Of course that only reduces the question to how were dragons invented in the first place, even if only once, but it is far less of a big question. It could have been the archetypal 'boggyman' figure, a super predator amalgam of all the scariest things people knew of, a snake, a lion, and an eagle. Its not that weird really.
That is not dead which may eternal lie


Personally, I think the dragon myths are based off of dinosaur fossils, and the different species would explain different "types" of dragons.



This is a valid hypoothesis, but t also seems unlikely thst each region would discover only one or two types of fossils over their history.






Nono, this is the theory I was referring to when I compared the "similar story origin" ideas. The concept actually explicitly involves each culture NOT finding only 1 or 2 types of fossils to base the dragon off of, even within their own mythos. The reason they had "dragons" from the fossils was because they pieced together multiple species incorrectly. Besides, dragons look slightly different across cultures, a testament to the idea that they all found different fossils and/or pieced them together differently.

Ah, gotcha.
"The real purpose of socialism is precisely to overcome and advance beyond the predatory phase of human development." -Albert Einstein Resident Left Hand of Stalin and Banana Stand Grandstander Half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo House of Trolls, looking for a partner Wondering what happened to the Star Wars forums?
Show
Star Wars Minis has a home here http://www.bloomilk.com/ and Star Wars Saga Edition RPG has a home here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/index.php
Show
141722973 wrote:
And it wasn't ****. It was subjectively concensual sex.
57036828 wrote:
Marketing and design are two different things. For instance the snuggy was designed for people in wheel chairs and marketed to people that are too incompetent to operate a blanket.
75239035 wrote:
I personally don't want him decapitated.
141722973 wrote:
And do not call me a Yank. I am a Québecois, basically your better.
And the greatest post moderation of all time...
58115148 wrote:
I gave that (Content Removed) a to-scale Lego replica. (Content Removed) love to-scale Lego replicas. (ORC_Cerberus: Edited - Vulgarity is against the Code of Conduct)
Sign In to post comments