How would Dual Wielding Work and how does it effect a Sword Mage?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any benefit at all that I can utilize on a Swordmade if I Dual Weild?

I already understand that I can only get the +1 to my AC instead of the +3, but I'm having trouble figuring out if it adds anything else to my attacks or damage by doing so.

My DM is new to 4.0 and used to the old 2.0 system of two attacks per round instead of one and wanted to revert to that mechanism with the added Negative bonus for Duel wielding but would not allow me to use two Swordmage abilities, which almost defeats the whole purpose of dual wielding and being a swordmage.

But far as we have come with the 4.0 ruling is I can only attack once per turn per weapon, so it doesn't sound like I can really get any benefit accept from aesthetics of being a Dual Wielder.

Any help that provide insight on this would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you.
mastersfl.png "The Perfect Weapon will always have a Flaw, it's User."
Mechanically speaking, a second weapon wouldn't do anything except cost you 2 AC, if you hold two weapons, you still only attack with one of them unless an ability explicitly states otherwise, and I do not believe swordmage has any attacks that would fit the bill because it is intended to be using a free hand.

Everything beyond that sounds like house rules and this forum can't really do anything about those.
Thank you.
mastersfl.png "The Perfect Weapon will always have a Flaw, it's User."
4e really works entirely different from any previous edition. If you or your DM try and make 4e work like a previous edition you are not going to be playing a fun game. The best approach is really to forget everything you know about previous editions of D&D and start from scratch.
As a Swordmage, you have access to powers that target multiple enemies or all enemies around you (some of them at will) while wielding one blade. Two blades under the current houserules, while potentially aesthetically pleasing, will do nothing for you that you can't already do without penalties.
If you take the feat and wield two weapons you will deal +1 damage on any attack with the [Weapon] keyword and lose 2 AC all the time.

It won't allow you any extra attacks or increace the number of creatures you can target with your attacks.

In short: a big loss for a miniscule gain
If you take the feat and wield two weapons you will deal +1 damage on any attack with the [Weapon] keyword and lose 2 AC all the time.

It won't allow you any extra attacks or increace the number of creatures you can target with your attacks.

In short: a big loss for a miniscule gain

Especially since Swordmage powers generally don't have the [Weapon] keyword.

(Edit: added the below)
There are really only two main benefits I think you could get from dual-wielding as a swordmage, but I don't think they make up for the losses.
1) You could wield blades with two different properties to change the damage from your powers (for example, a Force Blade and a Frost weapon), so you can change damage types on the fly.  But you can just as easily do this by stowing one weapon and drawing the other, without losing your AC bonus as a swordmage
2) As you gain stronger magical weapons you could increase your damage with Dual Implement Spellcaster, but a swordmages focus should be on defense (defending allies and making enemies attack you without hitting you), and not damage output.

Also note that to gain any benefit from feats like Two-Weapon Fighting (weapon attacks only) and Two-Weapon Defense, your second weapon has to have the Off-hand property, unless you take the Multiclass Ranger Two-Blade Warrior feat to let you use any one-handed melee weapon as off-hand.