What is the best CHA-based Warlock build (hybrid or otherwise) for Heroic?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

My group is grumbling. They say I always build psychopathic bloodthirsty characters. I love to play op-ed martial strikers which leaves little in the room for social skills.

I still want to play a striker, but one with high Charisma. Since I'm already planning on playing a re-breather for another campaign, I'm looking at a sort of CHA-based warlock build. Maybe a Warlock/Executioner, maybe an Eldricht type build, whatever's best.

What are the best warlock builds around level 5?

If you're playing a rebreather, they're probably right on the psychopath bit.

At any rate, Charisma, Sorcerer-King, possibly hybrid Paladin.
What is an op-ed martial striker?

Someone who hits newspapers? 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
If you're playing a rebreather, they're probably right on the psychopath bit.

At any rate, Charisma, Sorcerer-King, possibly hybrid Paladin.

Thanks, so what does the Paladin hybrid bring to the table, plate mail?

Ok so what about something like this i just found:
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Grevin, level 6
Revenant, Assassin (Executioner)/Warlock
Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: Red Scales (Hybrid)
Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Will
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Choose your Race in Life: Pixie
Inherent Bonuses
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 21, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 17

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Ref: 20 Will: 20
HP: 58 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Intimidate +14, Stealth +13, Thievery +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Athletics +3, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History +3, Insight +4, Nature +2, Perception +4, Religion +3, Streetwise +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Assassin Attack: Poisoned Dagger
Assassin Attack: Quick Lunge
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Assassin Attack: Assassin's Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Assassin Attack 1: Grave Spike
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Sohei Attack 3: Sohei Advance
Warlock Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Assassin Utility 6: Ghost of the Rooftops

FEATS
Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Streak of Light
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: Surprising Charge

ITEMS
Vanguard Rapier +1 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Badge of the Berserker +2 x1
Dagger x1
Bola
Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +1 x1
====== End ======
So currently my at will charge damage expression is 16vsAC 4d8+1d6+9 (approximately 30dpr on average.
To hit breakdown: (3 (1/2 lvl) + 3 (prof bonus) +5 (dex mod)+ 1 (inherent enhancement bonus) + 1 (light blade expertise) + 1 (charge) +2 (streak of light ca)

Damage Dice Breakdown: (1d8 rapier, 1d8 vanguard weapon property, 1d8(hybrid) attack finesse, 1d8 surprising charge and 1d6 curse)

Damage Mod Breakdown + 9 ( +5 (dex mod) + 1 (light blade expertise feature) + 1(inherent enhancement bonus) +2 (iron armbands of power)

Any other way I can squeeze in more damage without sacrificing accuracy or suggestions on a good paragon path for this guy?
so what does the Paladin hybrid bring to the table, plate mail?

The feat Crimson Fire, primarily.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
And good overall support for both, and the fact that DS doesn't lose much of anything by Hybrid.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I love the idea of Paladin|Warlock although there's already two defenders in my party who are already angry at eachother for bumping off marks.

Ok what about a Revenant DEX/CHA Pixie Executioner|Warlock Feybeast Tamer charging while mounted on a Young Owlbear?

Feats:
Teeny Target
Spear Expertise
Battle Awareness
Surprising Charge

Items:
Vanguard Lance
Horned Helm
Boots of Adept Charging (would it work with a mount?)

Any builds based on something similar?

EDIT: Is it worth it to go hybrid Executioner? Maybe I shouldnt hybridize and go CHA/CON instead?

Ok what about a Revenant DEX/CHA Pixie Executioner|Warlock Feybeast Tamer charging while mounted on a Young Owlbear

Revenants are medium sized (even though pixies aren't) and so can't ride young owlbears.

Ok what about a Revenant DEX/CHA Pixie Executioner|Warlock Feybeast Tamer charging while mounted on a Young Owlbear

Revenants are medium sized (even though pixies aren't) and so can't ride young owlbears.

Ok so Pixie only then! I probably needed the shrink racial ability anyway.

First draft:

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Test, level 10
Pixie, Warlock/Assassin (Executioner)
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: League of Whispers (Hybrid)
Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Fortitude
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
Pixie Utility: Shrink
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Assassin Attack: Bola Takedown
Assassin Attack: Precision Dart
Assassin Attack: Assassin's Strike
: Swap Daily For Poison Recipe
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock Attack 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Warlock Attack 5: Curse of the Bloody Fangs
Assassin Utility 6: Sheltering Dark
Warlock Attack 7: Touch of Command
Assassin Attack 9: Wall of Shadows
Assassin Utility 10: Walk Through Shadow

FEATS
Bonus: Ki Expertise
Level 1: Mindbite Scorn
Level 2: Teeny Target
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: Surprising Charge
Level 8: Killing Curse
Level 10: White Lotus Riposte

ITEMS:
Vanguard Lance
Horned Helm
Boots of Adept Charging (would it work with a mount?)

Are you ever going to use your DEX based attacks?  If not, drop it and boost CHA instead.  On a related note, you can't use DEX for Eldritch Strike, even though it's a melee basic attack.  The attack finesse feature says you can use DEX instead of STR for melee basic attacks, and Eldritch Strike doesn't use STR. (This was a flaw in the previous build you found and pasted--you can't use DEX for Eldritch Strike, you can't apply Warlock's Curse to its generic MBA, and that build had CHA primary and DEX lagging behind by 4.)
Are you ever going to use your DEX based attacks?  If not, drop it and boost CHA instead.  On a related note, you can't use DEX for Eldritch Strike, even though it's a melee basic attack.  The attack finesse feature says you can use DEX instead of STR for melee basic attacks, and Eldritch Strike doesn't use STR. (This was a flaw in the previous build you found and pasted--you can't use DEX for Eldritch Strike, you can't apply Warlock's Curse to its generic MBA, and that build had CHA primary and DEX lagging behind by 4.)

Well the reason I boosted DEX is to have decent AC. I feel too squishy already, it's also part of the reason I want to ride a mount, even though I might provoke OoAs and won't be able to charge is an enemy starts its turn next to me.
Ethereal Sidestep + TP boosters + Badge of the Berserker solve.
Ethereal Sidestep + TP boosters + Badge of the Berserker solve.

Alright but I thought Badge of the Berserket won't prevent OoAs on my mount, and does Ethereal Sidestep also teleport my mount?
Ah, no, i forgot that you want to use a mount. I'd just drop that mount idea, tbh...
Ah, no, i forgot that you want to use a mount. I'd just drop that mount idea...

Ok but since I'm starting at level 5 and I won't be playing past level 10, it might be worth it to have a blink dog to do the teleportation.

Also, any ideas on how to boost durability?

Ok but since I'm starting at level 5 and I won't be playing past level 10, it might be worth it to have a blink dog to do the teleportation.

Also, any ideas on how to boost AC?

The blink dog won't be able to teleport both you and it, unless you spend two move actions.  And even then you wouldn't still be mounted after the teleportation; you'd just be sharing the same space.

Also, I've played a couple of small / tiny characters mounted on fey beasts.  It's okay if you're at range, but if you're in melee the thing almost always dies, or you get knocked prone, or something bad happens that makes you waste actions / surges to get back on it.

Your AC is a problem, as you're going to be in melee a lot; you might consider dropping White Lotus Riposte to boost it.  If you're really keen on a charging warlock, and you're not getting out of heroic, you might consider just a plain old hexblade.

EDIT: By RAW you cannot use Boots of Adept Charging to shift both you and your mount after a charge.  You may shift, but the mount may not.  You could ask your DM to house-rule this away, but it sounds like you're already under scrutiny for over-optimizing, for example by playing a rebreather.
Are you intending to throw around your curse?  If so, Armor of Dark Majesty.

Also, any ideas on how to boost AC?

The blink dog won't be able to teleport both you and it, unless you spend two move actions.  And even then you wouldn't still be mounted after the teleportation; you'd just be sharing the same space.

Also, I've played a couple of small / tiny characters mounted on fey beasts.  It's okay if you're at range, but if you're in melee the thing almost always dies, or you get knocked prone, or something bad happens that makes you waste actions / surges to get back on it.

Your AC is a problem, as you're going to be in melee a lot; you might consider dropping White Lotus Riposte to boost it.  If you're really keen on a charging warlock, and you're not getting out of heroic, you might consider just a plain old hexblade.

EDIT: By RAW you cannot use Boots of Adept Charging to shift both you and your mount after a charge.  You may shift, but the mount may not.  You could ask your DM to house-rule this away, but it sounds like you're already under scrutiny for over-optimizing, for example by playing a rebreather.

Yeah Hexblade might be reasonable.

What I could do is still get the owlbear, mount it and charge an enemy in the first turn of the encounter with a Vanguard Lance, blow my executioner damage dice, then discard both lance and owlbear and continue fighting with another weapon. Should be able to kill 1 enemy every encounter at the outset like that.
Consider Warlock|Blackguard if you're staying in heroic. Blackguard lets you HT for plate, and if you're on your companion you'll always have CA.
A Warlock|Swordmage is also a decent option.  Not quite as much damage as the Paladin|Warlock option, but has access to the SM bag of tricks.
A Warlock|Swordmage is also a decent option.  Not quite as much damage as the Paladin|Warlock option, but has access to the SM bag of tricks.

Made me laugh.
isn't there a bridle or something for mounts that allows you to teleport with your mount when it does or vice versa ?  That would probably solve the problem.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

It allows you to teleport when the mount does. So it solves a couple problems, but not the vast majority of them. There's nothing that lets the mount teleport when you do.

Our group houserules Mounted Combat to allow your mount to take any moves granted to you (like powers that let you shift when you use them), so the Nightmare Saddle or whatever it's called is actually pretty useful.
its also level 15