Multiple Forced movement and Hindering Terrain

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after years 4e and (I guess) never coming across this situation, our DM threw this one at us.

Foe attacks, pulls a lot... (mabye 6 squares)
Room is littered with a bunch of 1 square pits.
- Drag to first pit, saving throw to not go in...
- Drag to next pit, saving throw to not go in...
you can see where this goes.

This feels counter-intuitive, but gut feeling and RAW or even RAI don't always line up.

Hindering Terrain: Forced movement can force targets into hindering terrain. Targets forced into hindering terrain receive a saving throw immediately before entering the unsafe square they are forced into. Success leaves the target prone at the edge of the square before entering the unsafe square.
If the power that forced the target to move allows the creature that used the power to follow the target into the square that the target would have left, the creature can’t enter the square where the target has fallen prone. 
If forced movement pushes a Large or larger creature over an edge, the creature doesn’t fall until its entire space is over the edge. On the creature’s next turn, it must either move to a space it can occupy or use a move action to squeeze into the smaller space at the edge of the precipice.

A DM can allow a power that pushes a target more than 1 square to carry the target completely over hindering terrain.

I underlined the line that isn't quite clear.  It says it "leaves" the target in the square before the triggering hindering square, but it doesn't say anything about stopping further forced movement.  It actually doesn't say anything about anything beyond that single square of hindering terrain, and the square being moved from during the multiple forced movement.

I have arguments both for and against this, but I want to know what others think, or if there has been an official ruling.

If this does turn out to be legit, and this thread doesn't turn into a flamewar Cool, I got a couple follow up questions.

What concerns me (as a DM myself for another group) is that this case doesn't come up too often, so a DM is likely to not remember their own ruling between occurrences, which could result in letting it happen if it's favourable to the DM, and rejecting it if it's not favourable to the DM.
The forced movement rules in the Rule Compendium say that once the saving throw is resolved, the forced movement ends.

RC311 Catching Oneself: If a target is forced over a precipice or into hindering terrain, such as lava or a pit, the target can immediately make a saving throw to avoid going over the edge or entering that terrain. If the creature saves, it falls prone in the last square it occupied before it would have fallen or entered the terrain. Otherwise, it falls over the edge or enters the terrain. Once the saving throw is resolved, the forced movement ends.

WOW. wizards, you fail at putting together your rules.
Search the online compendium for hindering terrain, and you get 5 hits. 3 of those hits are:
1) "forced movement"
2) "forced movement and terrain"
3) "hindering terrain"
So the rule in question is only in (1), but not in (2) or (3). *facepalm*

Anyways, thanks!
Sign In to post comments