Regards to a warforged artificer

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For an upcoming campaign, one of the characters I am constructing is a warforged artificer wielding an armbow and using it as an implement through the feat crossbow caster. This has raised a couple of questions:

1.The armbow says that it generates its own bolts. Does that mean it still requires a minor action and two hands free to load the armbow?

2.Suppose I am wielding an off-hand melee weapon in my off hand (the armbow is one-handed as a property). Would I still get the implement bonus of the armbow if I used a melee attack power with my off-hand weapon (which is enchanted)? 

Answers would be appreciated 
For an upcoming campaign, one of the characters I am constructing is a warforged artificer wielding an armbow and using it as an implement through the feat crossbow caster. This has raised a couple of questions:

1.The armbow says that it generates its own bolts. Does that mean it still requires a minor action and two hands free to load the armbow?

Nothing says that it doesn't, so all the regular rules regarding crossbows of the type converted to an armbow still apply. If you don't want to spend the action to load, then convert a hand crossbow. If you want both hands free and no action to load, convert a repeating crossbow.

2.Suppose I am wielding an off-hand melee weapon in my off hand (the armbow is one-handed as a property). Would I still get the implement bonus of the armbow if I used a melee attack power with my off-hand weapon (which is enchanted)? 

Answers would be appreciated 

Why would your implement bonus apply if you aren't using the implement in question? In addition, two bonuses of the same type never stack, so the enchantment bonus on the melee weapon cannot add to the enchantment bonus on the armbow under any circumstances.

with regards to question 1:  since you took the feat crossbow caster, just take the follow up feat eldritch fusillade expertise which solves the whole problem.  You get 2 feats in one by taking it.

for question 2:  No you don't get to apply bonuses from another weapon that you're not using.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

For question 2, also note that if the power that has a range of melee has the Implement keyword (Example: Armor of Darkness), you will not be able to use your off-hand melee weapon for it because it is an Implement Power and not a Weapon power.

However, you could still use your Crossbow as the implement in that case without provoking an oppurtunity attack, because you are using it as an implement at a range of melee, and not as a ranged weapon to make a ranged attack

If the power instead has the Weapon keyword (ex: Icy Weapons) then you can use either your crossbow or the off-hand melee weapon (assuming it allows both Melee and Ranged, of course).
  Just note that if you use the crossbow for a power like Icy Weapons, feats and properties that apply only to implement attacks (ex: Implement Expertise) would not apply because you are using it as a weapon for that power.
with regards to question 1:  since you took the feat crossbow caster, just take the follow up feat eldritch fusillade expertise which solves the whole problem.  You get 2 feats in one by taking it.

for question 2:  No you don't get to apply bonuses from another weapon that you're not using.

Thanks all of you, but there is still one issue: if I have the feat Eldritch Fullisade Expert, is my off-hand still required to be free if I wish to reload?
Yes, because Eldritch Fullisade Expert only changes it from Load Minor to Load Free, it doesn't state it changes the need for a hand. Only the action type changes.

By definition, any weapon with the Load property requires both hands even if its a one handed weapon.
"Any weapon that has the load property requires two hands to load, even if you can use only one hand to attack with it."

An Armbow generates its own bolts, but it still needs to be drawn back and cocked before each shot, and the hand on the arm its attached to can't do that, for obvious reasons.
Yes, because Eldritch Fullisade Expert only changes it from Load Minor to Load Free, it doesn't state it changes the need for a hand. Only the action type changes.

By definition, any weapon with the Load property requires both hands even if its a one handed weapon.
"Any weapon that has the load property requires two hands to load, even if you can use only one hand to attack with it."

An Armbow generates its own bolts, but it still needs to be drawn back and cocked before each shot, and the hand on the arm its attached to can't do that, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for clearing that up, but I still have one last question: are you capable of reloading your weapon when you have an unarmed weapon (such as a spiked gauntlet) in your off hand?
yes because a spiked gauntlet would leave you with your hand free.  It's one of the main draws of the weapon.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I got everything I need now. Thanks, guys.

Although...

Does crossbow caster mean just the crossbow, or any weapon of the crossbow type, inluding superior and repeting ones? 
Any weapon in the Crossbow group should work with Crossbow Caster feat, so crossbows, hand crossbows, superior crossbows, and repeating crossbows.