Looking for gridless maps

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, folks..

Does anyone have a source for gridless battlemaps? I'm specifically looking for maps similar to the poster maps that come with modules, but without the grid overlaid on them.

Thanks for any leads.... google is turning up a load of not much.
So many PCs, so little time...
If you were able to get your hands on this puppy, it had amazing maps, all gridless but still to scale.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhawk_Ruins

Have you tried Cartographers Guild? www.cartographersguild.com/content/

Never ceases to amaze me what you can find in there.
Using Maptool or another VTT eh? This is a common problem, VTT usually supply their own grid, and its VERY hard to get an image with a grid on it to match up (though you can try, maptool for instance does let you tweak scaling). Anyway, some map authors have caught on. I think the Maptool resource archives are a pretty good place to start, and then you can also try cartographer's guild, which sometimes has some nice gridless maps. Some of the commercial VTT/map making software sites also have active user communities with substantial collections. Beyond that google is your friend. I've managed to find quite a few useable sources over the years. Honestly though? Learn GIMP/PHOTOSHOP/ILLUSTRATOR/ETC and get to it ;) Personally I like making maps, its fun.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
If you were able to get your hands on this puppy, it had amazing maps, all gridless but still to scale.

I'll check the guild out; I've BRIEFLY ranged around through their stuff, and seen some neat things, but not what I was looking for - I will have to devote some actual time to finding it, however. Sounds like the place I should be able to turn it up!

Using Maptool or another VTT eh? This is a common problem, VTT usually supply their own grid, and its VERY hard to get an image with a grid on it to match up (though you can try, maptool for instance does let you tweak scaling). Anyway, some map authors have caught on. I think the Maptool resource archives are a pretty good place to start, and then you can also try cartographer's guild, which sometimes has some nice gridless maps. Some of the commercial VTT/map making software sites also have active user communities with substantial collections. Beyond that google is your friend. I've managed to find quite a few useable sources over the years. Honestly though? Learn GIMP/PHOTOSHOP/ILLUSTRATOR/ETC and get to it ;) Personally I like making maps, its fun.

Actually, I'm prepping to run a 4e conversion of Warhammer, and I'm going to experiment with tape measures, movement sticks, artillery dice, and the round spell templates to give the game the 'feel' of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Also, veritable hordes of minions interspersed with regular monsters, to give the PCs that Gotrek and Felix vibe of having hacked through legions of foul creatures. I looked at GIMP once, but it scared me AND scarred me. My computer skills are stuck in the early 90s; I still log on expecting the dial up modem racket!
    And why would you want a gridless map at all?  Granted, there are some advantages to it, but 4e rules are set to the grid and even if we pretend there are not larger advangages to a grid, it is far too much trouble to adapt if you do not have to.

I'll check the guild out; I've BRIEFLY ranged around through their stuff, and seen some neat things, but not what I was looking for - I will have to devote some actual time to finding it, however. Sounds like the place I should be able to turn it up!

I forgot that there is a map forum at Dragonsfoot as well, you might find some stuff there

www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php...
    And why would you want a gridless map at all?  Granted, there are some advantages to it, but 4e rules are set to the grid and even if we pretend there are not larger advangages to a grid, it is far too much trouble to adapt if you do not have to.

And that may be the consensus of the group after running it a time or two. But at the moment, we're playing around with various aspects of the game, and trying different tweaks out to see how they work in the overall system.

I can do the old "roll of paper and draw the maps" (which will be my fall back plan) but it would be neat to get a few printed ones, if I can find some, so I can have some printed set pieces.
Dragon Mountain had some gridless maps. I've also used maps from other sources like Battle Masters (which I also used for minis, and even though it had hexes they were giant hexes and wouldn't interfere with using a ruler). You could also use something like maptool or fractal mapper to make your own maps and print them without a grid. There are plenty of free textures online that you can download and use.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Sign In to post comments