State of the Realms 4E

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can anyone point me to an overview of the changes to the Realms for 4E?
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
While most of those changes are being editted out or altered for 5e, I can inform to the best of my ability.

The cosmology (world tree/great wheel) was smashed by cataclysm into fitting the World Axis/Points of Light cosmology from 4E core.

Lore was altered to fit a twin planet (Abeir-Toril was split into two worlds: one for gods and one for titans, I mean primordials) with 4E core races shoehorned in via that method

Several locations were destroyed or taken off the map (mostly the "Earth mythology" inspired places like Mulhorand, Maztica, etc)

Several deities were slain (some off screen) by various plots and events (the most crucial being Mystra's death by Cyric and Shar)

Because of Mystra's death, the weave exploded and a horrid event called, "The Spellplague" surged throughout the world and warped everything it touched.  It also changed the way magic worked in the world.

Many high level NPCs were killed off by spellplague or by a 100 year time jump.

That's the abridged version, there's more to it than that, but that's the basics.  While it was meant to introduce the setting to new players, it spawned much hatred among most of the Realms fandom.  As a result, Wizards is trying to compromise by bringing aspects of both Realms together in 5e.

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
Note that Mystra is back after one of the D&D encounters adventures though I am not sure which one it was...