[M14-ICD] Archangel of Thune

56 posts / 0 new
Last post


Archangel of Thune

Creature - Angel (Mythic Rare)
Flying, Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
3/4
Even the whicked have nightmares.

IGN-Preview [Link]
@01:40min. (confirmed there for m14 and d14 alike)
Wait for it to break $20 for no apparent reason then sell?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Makes me think of a sengir vampire more than anything.
This will play very well with Centaur Healer, obviously. I'm sure it's much more abusable in EDH than in standard, but this will still be decent. Shouldn't be a mythic though.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Shouldn't be a mythic though.


Isn't that the slogan of mythic rares?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



The counter on each creature you control makes it mythic...  That's pretty bonkers in the face of a Sphinx's Revelation on EoT.

Turns everything into ajani's pridemate, nifty
Looks like Shirley Manson.
Says "D14" which I'm assuming isn't "M14".
I really like the idea of the core set having identity with specific places that are huge locuses of a specific color of mana. I always liked the War Priest from Thune, and this doesn't disappoint.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



That is insane.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Maybe a random m14 all colour cycle of 5 cmc creatures?
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
Perfect! Love the design, and the art is wonderful. This is a great Mythic, in my book.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Says "D14" which I'm assuming isn't "M14".


I haven't known Duels of the Planeswalker to ever have their own cards unlike Planechase. Of course, it could be for Theros block, but "Thune" is Shandalar flavor.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



That is insane.



I disagree.  A 3/4 Flying Lifelink for 5cmc with WW would be a very solid Uncommon, that wouldn't necessarily be good enough for Constructed formats.  Similar to Vampire Nighthawk, but more expensive for +1/+1.  Adding on a win-more ability shouldn't make it mythic.  I guess it's flashy enough, but it annoys me that this will be another mythic worth more than it should be because of its rarity.  Oh well, at least it isn't half as good as Sublime Archangel.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
It's just better than Sublime, sublime only has 3 toughness...
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



That is insane.



I disagree.  A 3/4 Flying Lifelink for 5cmc with WW would be a very solid Uncommon, that wouldn't necessarily be good enough for Constructed formats.  Similar to Vampire Nighthawk, but more expensive for +1/+1.  Adding on a win-more ability shouldn't make it mythic.  I guess it's flashy enough, but it annoys me that this will be another mythic worth more than it should be because of its rarity.  Oh well, at least it isn't half as good as Sublime Archangel.


"Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."  -Let's say you play this lady, then swing with a Trained Caracal  and she's a 4/5 Flying Lifelink when you untap.  Then you Extort a Cathedral Sanctifier...  This could get huge (as well as pumping your whole side) before she ever swings.  Idk if costing 5 mana will keep if from seeing competitive play, but this card is a beating in the right deck.   
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



That is insane.



I disagree.  A 3/4 Flying Lifelink for 5cmc with WW would be a very solid Uncommon, that wouldn't necessarily be good enough for Constructed formats.  Similar to Vampire Nighthawk, but more expensive for +1/+1.  Adding on a win-more ability shouldn't make it mythic.  I guess it's flashy enough, but it annoys me that this will be another mythic worth more than it should be because of its rarity.  Oh well, at least it isn't half as good as Sublime Archangel.


I see you've thought a lot about limited recently.
BFFs with Extort

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

sick art.

card has potential.  i can see it fitting into some G/W/x shell.

this card + Scavenging Ooze looks pretty insane.
Goes infinite with Spike Feeder.

Would be considerably more playable if she cost 1 less, but I guess that's true of almost every creature out there.

Definitely going to be a casual all-star, as there are plenty of folks out there with Soul Warden lifegain decks that get lots of love in multiplayer formats. I've seen my share of Pridemates with over 20 power and toughness.

Other than that, I'd say she just isn't good enough the turn you play her. No immediate board impact unless you've got the aforementioned Soul Warden out.

 
Rules nightmare.  It doesn't save anything in combat, because damage doesn't use the stack, and way too many people are going to assume it means "that many counters." This is going to cause headaches at the m14 prerelease.

Otherwise, calling this a "win more" ability, and saying it has no immediate impact is a (slight) overstatement.  If you are running a lifelink heavy deck, this could mean you could easily have a huge blocker and a massive buff to your army if you drop it first main.  And in an extort heavy deck, this is the win condition.
Meh.  She's no Baneslayer
Rules nightmare.  It doesn't save anything in combat, because damage doesn't use the stack, and way too many people are going to assume it means "that many counters." This is going to cause headaches at the m14 prerelease.


Slight correction... it doesn't save anything in combat because the ability uses the stack.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
so... if someone extorted 3 times off of three extort creatures and one spell, is that three instances of lifegain or just one instance?

because yeah. 
So slap ethereal armor on her and watch people start failing at math.
so... if someone extorted 3 times off of three extort creatures and one spell, is that three instances of lifegain or just one instance?

because yeah. 



As I understand extort, each permanent with extort is its own spell. So your example would go off like this: extort, counter, extort, counter, extort, counter.

Goes infinite with Spike Feeder.



Hah, that's all I ever needed to hear.

This is insane with extort
mmmmmmm

play her out after a Renegade Krasis and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice for excitement right on curve


Archangel of Thune

Creature - Angel (Mythic Rare)
Flying, Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
3/4
Even the whicked have nightmares.

IGN-Preview [Link]
@01:40min. (confirmed there for m14 and d14 alike)

I would sooo buy that card
Says "D14" which I'm assuming isn't "M14".


It was the only picture available. I will replace it with the right one as soon as possible.
The video stated this particular card will be part of M14 as well, that's why I only made an M14-ICD for the Archangel.

The other cards were likely but not confirmed for M14. This one is.
Shouldn't be a mythic though.



That is insane.



I disagree.  A 3/4 Flying Lifelink for 5cmc with WW would be a very solid Uncommon, that wouldn't necessarily be good enough for Constructed formats.  Similar to Vampire Nighthawk, but more expensive for +1/+1.  Adding on a win-more ability shouldn't make it mythic.  I guess it's flashy enough, but it annoys me that this will be another mythic worth more than it should be because of its rarity.  Oh well, at least it isn't half as good as Sublime Archangel.


I see you've thought a lot about limited recently.



What did I say that breaks Limited?  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Cool card.
angel's mercy =  everything is insanely huge. i have so many decks that can take huge advantage of this angel :P

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
angel's mercy =  everything is insanely huge. i have so many decks that can take huge advantage of this angel :P



Angel's Mercy = Everything gets 1 counter.

Read the card. 
Yeah a common mistake with this effect. The angel cares only about quantity not quality.
Same with Ajani's Pridemate.
That's why the kitty and this angel right here are way better in soulsister than sandsac builds.

Speaking of them, I wonder if this angel may indicate a reprint of either Soul Warden, Essence Warden or Soul's Attendant.
Works well with extort cards? I imagine this card can actually get out of hand. We'll never see it as a lynchpin in any deck, but any sort of midrange with white, I could see this in it.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
anyway, i don't think this is a great card, but it's a good card that has a lot of synergy with other cards that are currently good.  if this lands on a board state with stuff like sorin tokens/blood artists/aristocrats, you don't have to untap before things get crazy.
SupperBEAST in limited though :D
Does anyone know why the angel and [C]War priest of Thune[/C] have purple/red hair?

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)