D&D Alumni: A Lineage in Art

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Alumni
A Lineage in Art

By Bart Carroll

The 2nd Edition reprints are about to release, and so what better time to look back through the art of these books? In this D&D Alumni article, we do just that—but instead of taking the broader view of the entire forest, we'll consider two of its trees (or treants) in particular...

Talk about this article here. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I would love to see an edition-spanning book highlighting some of the best artwork of D&D (this article reminded me of that). Elmore's post-dragon fight picture in the front of the 1989 2e PHB is still by far the best D&D picture for me.
I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have played basic, 1E, 2E, 3.5, & 4E, and found all to be fun. IF IT'S D&D, I'LL PLAY IT, NO MATTER THE EDITION. Just roll some dice.
That would be cool book indeed! There has been a few art books published in the past and i always loved these.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That would be cool book indeed! There has been a few art books published in the past and i always loved these.

I have the Art of the Dragonlance Saga book; great art, and some cool insight to the imagery within that setting. I have yet to find the Art of AD&D book, which from what I've heard is pretty rare. Something that encompasses the whole of the game from 1974 to today would rule, including perhaps a section on these reinterpretations of classic art (such as the ones contained in the article above). It would also be cool to see the evolution of the game art, and perhaps see that in some ways it's not that different...
I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have played basic, 1E, 2E, 3.5, & 4E, and found all to be fun. IF IT'S D&D, I'LL PLAY IT, NO MATTER THE EDITION. Just roll some dice.