*Yoink!* says Merieke

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I run Freed from the Real, Pemmin's Aura and Puppet Strings in mine. I also use Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Ghostly Flicker to keep what I take.

cheers

PS - Intruder Alarm is awesome at holding down the creature count in play, for some strange reason no one awnts to cast one when it and Merieke are on the table.   

<----- Loser.

Did think about Ghostly Flicker and Avacyn...I'm still in the process of acquiring her at this point.  At least Darksteel Plate, though mana intensive, is there for a go around.  Puppet Strings makes me mad because I have it, and I can't believe I never saw that connection.  Probably wouldn't be bad to drop the Clasp for it...and I will definitely keep Intruder Alarm in mind...the evilness that card entails is enough to bring giggles out of my mouth.
I run Freed from the Real, Pemmin's Aura and Puppet Strings in mine. I also use Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Ghostly Flicker to keep what I take.

cheers

PS - Intruder Alarm is awesome at holding down the creature count in play, for some strange reason no one awnts to cast one when it and Merieke are on the table.   

What he said.  When it comes to keeping what you take, Conjurer's Closet is fantastic too.  I also run Thousand-Year Elixir, Rings of Brighthearth, Quicksilver Elemental and finally Arcanis the Omnipotent, whose ability you can abuse with the same stuff you use for Merieke.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Waitwaitwait...walk me through the Quicksilver Elemental again.  I pay the 1 blue to turn it into a pseudo-Merieke, tap it to gain control of something, then at end of turn...what?  Obviously the elemental loses the 'tap = control' ability, but then I permanently gain control of the creature, since the 'untap, then destroy' trigger is gone?  Or does something else happen?

I'm trading like a fiend for Bracers to stand in for the Rings for now, but I am well aware of them...and they will tag team with the bracers for pseudo-Insurrections.

Conjurer's Closet...another one I have and failed to see the connection on.  *mutters*  Any suggestions for drops on that?
Waitwaitwait...walk me through the Quicksilver Elemental again.  I pay the 1 blue to turn it into a pseudo-Merieke, tap it to gain control of something, then at end of turn...what?  Obviously the elemental loses the 'tap = control' ability, but then I permanently gain control of the creature, since the 'untap, then destroy' trigger is gone?  Or does something else happen?

I'm trading like a fiend for Bracers to stand in for the Rings for now, but I am well aware of them...and they will tag team with the bracers for pseudo-Insurrections.

Conjurer's Closet...another one I have and failed to see the connection on.  *mutters*  Any suggestions for drops on that?

I'm eagerly awaiting the game where I have Illusionist's Bracers and Rings of Brighthearth out at the same time.  I built my deck around creatures' activated abilities, not just Merieke's.  So stuff like Arcanis, Ethersworn Adjudicator, Dark Impostor, Necrotic Ooze etc.  Heck, I think I might even make room for Archivist.

About Quicksilver Elemental, the way my group plays it, and I agree, is this:  Mereike's ability is one that goes onto the stack and resolves, even the part about losing control or untapping Merieke.  Now, since the elemental untaps, the creature dies.  However, you can still use those blink effects to keep it...or just off the creature.

Hmmm.....drops for Conjurer's Closet.  Maybe Liquimetal Coating?  Is it only there to interact with Memnarch?  Or Contagion Clasp?  I assume it's only there to interact with your planeswalkers.  Is it pulling it's weight?

EDIT:  AAAAAAHHHHHH!  I just realized you're not running Deadeye Navigator!

About Quicksilver Elemental, the way my group plays it, and I agree, is this:  Mereike's ability is one that goes onto the stack and resolves, even the part about losing control or untapping Merieke.  Now, since the elemental untaps, the creature dies.  However, you can still use those blink effects to keep it...or just off the creature.

Hmmm.....drops for Conjurer's Closet.  Maybe Liquimetal Coating?  Is it only there to interact with Memnarch?  Or Contagion Clasp?  I assume it's only there to interact with your planeswalkers.  Is it pulling it's weight?

EDIT:  AAAAAAHHHHHH!  I just realized you're not running Deadeye Navigator!

But what if you don't untap the Elemental, and your turn ends?  What happens when the trigger disappears?  Do you keep the creature, or does it go back to its owner?

Clasp is being dropped for Puppet Strings mentioned earlier in the thread.  As you said, it's not quite pulling it's weight(not nearly enough, anyway).  Liquimetal Coating is there not only to combo with Memnarch, but also both Tezz's, as well as Voltaic Key.  Personally, I'm thinking Quest or Argentum Armor(Armor more than Quest).

Not sure if I still have Navigator...I'll look.  Might have traded it away some time ago...
Since the whole clause about losing control or untapping Mereike is included with the activated ability, that whole thing goes on the stack and resolves.  The game remembers this, but replaces the words "Merieke Ri Berit" with "Quicksilver Elemental."  Then, since Quicksilver Elemental untaps normally (unlike Merieke), the creature is destroyed.

Taking a second look at your list, could Honor of the Pure go?

Thousand Year Elixer is surprisingly amazing with Merieke.
try out both Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Intruder Alarm together.  everytime something comes into play you steal it and keep it if avacyn is out.
Still trying to trade for Avacyn, but she's on the list.  Hopefully someone has Intruder Alarm available, too...and lucky me, I can't seem to find my Puppet Strings...>.<
Out
Quest for the Holy Relic - seemed to be too much of a bullseye painter.  The fact that I use Innistrad's checklist cards, and put Elbrus in a clear top loader also tips them off as to what I might grab.  Elbrus might be the next thing to go...

In
Veteran Bodyguard - more protection is always good, I figure.

Quick question:  if I have the bodyguard or guardian out, damage is redirected from me to them.  What if I Ghostly Flicker them at that point?  I know damage doesn't use the stack anymore, but does the redirection use the stack, and thus make an opening for...well, 'fizzling' the damage?  Just an odd thought I thought I'd ask here.
Quick question:  if I have the bodyguard or guardian out, damage is redirected from me to them.  What if I Ghostly Flicker them at that point?  I know damage doesn't use the stack anymore, but does the redirection use the stack, and thus make an opening for...well, 'fizzling' the damage?  Just an odd thought I thought I'd ask here.

It don't think it'll work like you want it to.  It would simply reenter the battlefield and take the damage.  You could use it to unmark the damage from it if it survives.

Grand Arbiter Augustin IV(in) - cheaper spells are always good
Deadeye Navigator(in) - the long awaited inclusion
Rite of Replication(in) - I can see a few targets in this deck alone...
Swords to Plowshares(in) - another exiler is always handy

Everflowing Chalice(out) - most of my spells don't require tons of colorless, and this hasn't had many chances to shine anyway
Elbrus/Withengar(out) - Too much of a telegraph as to what I have in my deck
Argentum Armor(out) - never cast it once
Simic Manipulator(out) - could be handy, but I don't see him working out that well in this deck
Sign In to post comments