Best event deck to buy

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so I diD some reading around and I'm thinking ill just buy an event deck for my first FNM.

question is, what one?  What is the best one out right now that I can buy in the stores?

Thanks guys 
One data point: Among the Return to Ravnica event deceks, the Rakdos deck ("Wrack and Rage") was more competitive than the Golgari deck ("Creep and Conquer"). However, the latter gave you a Thragtusk, Wolfir Silverheart, Woodland Cemetery, Ulvenwald Tracker, and a play set of Vampire Nighthawk, so some of the individual cards were pretty good.
I wouldnt worry about getting "the best one". Instead look at the decklists online and work out which you think you would enjoy playing the most. There is no point buying an aggressive deck if you like playing defensively, for example. Also look at the value of the cards inside each deck, incase you decide to trade them away after you are finished playing with it, or incase you want to build upon it in the future.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
get the new Strength of Selesnya event deck. its got some value cards, Advent of the Wurm and shockland, and there is ten rares instead of only seven. and its said to be really competitive for fnm and stuff like that. but its got a bad sideboard. Anyway its nice and easy to playCool
get the new Strength of Selesnya event deck. its got some value cards, Advent of the Wurm and shockland, and there is ten rares instead of only seven. and its said to be really competitive for fnm and stuff like that. but its got a bad sideboard. Anyway its nice and easy to playCool
Yeah I like being offensive.  This is where I usually get stumped as I am new to this and not always sure what is an offensive as opposed to a defensive deck. 

So in terms of these event decks, what is a solid offensive playstyle deck? 
Yeah I like being offensive.  This is where I usually get stumped as I am new to this and not always sure what is an offensive as opposed to a defensive deck. 

So in terms of these event decks, what is a solid offensive playstyle deck? 

The Rakdos one is the most offensive of the three.

In Magic, offensive tends to mean low-costed. Rakdos Cackler is very aggressive, you normally plays it unleashed to have 2 power for just 1 mana, and it will be unable to block. Thragtusk looks aggressive but it costs five mana, so you first needs to play deffensively first to survive the first turns.

EDIT: to finish my point, the easy way to tell how much the deck is aggressive or defensive is to look at the costs. Too much low-costed creatures or damage-dealing spells? Most likely it's an offensive deck. Some low-costed spells to stall and highly-costed cards to finish? Plays in the defense.

[<o>]
Okay sounds good, I should get my deck in the mail by the end of the week.  Hopefully I cant get out to an FNM soon as well.
Well, the end of the week happens to coincide with Friday.

So which deck did you get? 
Wrack and Rage.  Hopefully Ill get it in the mail soon.  Gonna go out tongiht and buy some booster packs or something see what I can get my hands on at the store here.
Look for singles. Good cards to look out for:

Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
Spike Jester
Pyrewild Shaman (just want 1 or 2 at most) 
Ok will do, bought a Gatecrash fat pack tonight too so hoping to get some nice stuff in it.  hopefully I will get some good stuff.  Anything in the Gatecrash I should keep my eyes peeled for?  Are those cards u posted above from that?
Looks like those cards are from the Dragons Maze set, maybe I should have got that one instead?

EDIT: I exchanged for the Dragons Maze Fat Pack, will go through it and see what I get.  Anything else worth noting?  
The fat packs are nice products, because they give you a sturdy storage box, a player's guide showing all the cards, etc. But what I was recommending was that you buy single cards. Buying booster packs to get specific cards is like finding a needle in a haystack: You need to buy tons of booster packs to do it. Just buy the cards you need from a store or online.
Thanks and will do. Do you have any other decks you could recommend me making that are fun to play. I want to explore other colors as well.
There are so many decks to choose from, depending on your play style and budget, I'm not sure I know where I would begin.
Thanks Hreth.

Something that is potentially a little slower than the event deck I purchased.  I now have those cards u recommened for my Wrack and Rage deck.  So I want to build one more deck.  Colors don't matter, I would like to mess around with green, they got a lot of big creatures that look like a lot of fun.  What is a good color to compliment that?   
Slower usually means three colors: This gives you access to the most powerful cards across three guilds, but usually requires an element of tempo (for example, life gain), to give you time to build up your mana base. But three colors typically means a lot of dual colored lands, which drives up the price.

If you stick to two colors, you (generally) get a more aggressive strategy. There are options for all color pairings: Green/red and green/white probably being the most competitive, followed by green/black.
Ok thanks.

I am going make a green and white deck than. What should I get to build that. I have quite. A few white and green cards from Gatecrash and dragons maze sets.

Could you let me know what to get card wise and how many of each to get?

Really appreciate your help!!
Also what are tokens?
The key cards in this strategy are token generators (Call of the Conclave, Advent of the Wurm), mana ramping (Avacyn's Pilgrim, Farseek), some lifegain (Trostani, Selesnya's Voice), cards that populate (create copies of tokens) (Druid's Deliverance, Parallel Lives, Rootborn Defenses), and the all-purpose utility spell Selesnya Charm.

Tokens are, simply put, creatures that are created by other cards. You can use anything to represent a token, but there are pre-printed token cards. For example, Call of the Conclave creates a Centaur token:

Once on the battlefield, tokens behave just like creatures. One exception is that when they leave the battlefield, they vanish. For example, if your opponent casts Unsummon on your Centaur token, it doesn't go back into your hand the way a creature normally would. Instead it permanently disappears from the battlefield.
Awesome ill have to take a look at what I have and ill let you know
Once on the battlefield, tokens behave just like creatures. One exception is that when they leave the battlefield, they vanish. For example, if your opponent casts Unsummon on your Centaur token, it doesn't go back into your hand the way a creature normally would. Instead it permanently disappears from the battlefield.

This isnt quite right. The token still goes where it was supposed to go, it just disappears immediately afterwards (and cannot come back). For example, if you Murder a Centaur Token it still dies.

Another difference between tokens and other kinds of permanent is that tokens are never "cards" (even if represented by a physical piece of cardboard). This that care about creatures dying will count the Centaur token (the exception are things that specify "non-token creature"), but things that trigger when a "card" is put into a graveyard will not. 

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
If I wanted to play with blue what would go well with that. Looking for aggro or even a little slower. What cards would I be looking for?
This isnt quite right. The token still goes where it was supposed to go, it just disappears immediately afterwards (and cannot come back). For example, if you Murder a Centaur Token it still dies.

I realize a token first goes to the graveyard before it disappears, but from a new player's perspective, when tokens change zones, they merely vanish. But you are absolutely correct and there are cases when it matters.

The relevant rules, if the OP wants to read them, are as follows:

110.5f A token that’s phased out, or that’s in a zone other than the battlefield, ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

110.5g A token that has left the battlefield can’t move to another zone or come back onto the battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases to exist the next time state-based actions are checked 

If I wanted to play with blue what would go well with that. Looking for aggro or even a little slower. What cards would I be looking for?

Blue and which colors?

Well thats my question, what compliments blue well in terms of Aggro?
Well, it depends on how competitive you want to be and how many colors you want. If we stick to two colors, blue and green is probably your best bet. However, there are blue/black decks that rely on creatures that get pumped up by creatures in the graveyard (Wight of Precinct Six, Consuming Aberration, Jace's Phantasm) and which use cards to mill your opponent (Mind Sculpt, Breaking // Entering). Not ubercompetitive, but fun. I also have a fun blue/black zombie deck, but it's also casual and not very competitive.

At the more competitive levels, you will find very good aggressive decks that use either blue/green/white (Bant) and blue/red/white (UWR, aka "American"). With the exception of the so-called Bant aura decks, they tend to be a bit slower (i.e midrange decks).
Okay.  I like the idea of blue/green.  I am new so 3 colors will probably just be too confusing right now.  Any suggestions for the proper cards for the deck, most likely a budget deck.
There is so much that can be done. You could try something like some cheap evolvers (Cloudfin Raptor) and undying creatures (Strangleroot Geist) and Renegade Krasis to multiply counters. Your best bet is to browse Gatherer, the online card database: gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx

Once you find cards that you like, you can also go to a web site like tcgplayer.com and see what deck lists people have built around them. Or you can try to brew your own, which is an excellent way of learning Magic.
Personally I can't wait to get my hands on the Strength of Selesnya event deck. Getting into the game after many years of absence and personally without spending my entire budget this will at least help me be slightly competitive at FNM
Sign In to post comments