Mayael

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Like to consider this as one of my most solid decks.  Once it gets going, I haven't seen too many decks able to stop it(yet).  As always though, any suggestions for improvement?

Updated 10-13-13

General
Mayael the Anima

Creatures(35)
Angel of Serenity
Elvish Piper
Vagrant Plowbeasts
Magmatic Force
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Darksteel Colossus
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Platinum Emperion
Boros Battleshaper
Grand Abolisher
Blazing Archon
Terastodon
Rampaging Baloths
Worldspine Wurm
Elderscale Wurm
Thragtusk
Engulfing Slagwurm
Hydra Omnivore
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Soul of the Harvest
Meglonoth
It that Betrays
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Razia, Boros Archangel
Deus of Calamity
Steel Hellkite
Vigor
Gruul Ragebeast
Spellbreaker Behemoth
Craterhoof Behemoth
Rith, the Awakener
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Hundred-Handed One

Planeswalkers/Enchantments(6)
Oblivion Ring
Ajani Goldmane
Sarkhan Vol
Ajani Vengeant
Leyline of Sanctity
Garruk Wildspeaker

Spells(17)
Frenzied Tilling
Swords to Plowshares
Exploding Borders
Regrowth
Overwhelming Stampede
Blasphemous Act
Beacon of Immortality
Harmonize
Cultivate
Harrow
Clan Defiance
Krosan Grip
Reverberate
Wild Ricochet
Farseek
Hymn of Rebirth
Hull Breach

Artifacts(5)
Boros Signet
Gruul Signet
Quicksilver Amulet
Illusionist's Bracers
Minion Reflector

Lands(36)
Gruul Turf
Vivid Grove
Vivid Meadow
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Teetering Peaks
Temple of Triumph
Havenwood Battleground
Boros Garrison
Seraph Sanctuary
Clifftop Retreat
Slayers' Stronghold
Kessig Wolf Run
Fire-Lit Thicket
Graypelt Refuge
Sunpetal Grove
Stirring Wildwood
Kazandu Refuge
Rootbound Crag
Raging Ravine
Stomping Ground
Temple of Abandon
Eldrazi Temple
Sacred Foundry
New Benalia
Mountain 4
Plains 4
Forest 4

okay first i'd like to direct to the mtgsalvation forums where they have this spiffy primer when someone actually worked out the math on the probability  of hitting a fattie with mayael based on the number of fatties you run so: forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t 
personally i dont take everything that guy says as gospel, but as someone who has been playing mayael since i split a box of shards of alara and ripped a foil one way back when, i've done my time with the deck and know a lil about building her successfully.
I personally perfer a toolbox approach so i run as many as many fatties with etb effects as poss and i see a terastodon on your list but sylvan primodial and woodfall primus are mia. 
next protection namely avacyn angel of hope and spearbreaker behemoth. nothing is more satisfying than casting a wog to sweep you opponent's field out and getting to continue bashing faces with an akroma.

notable shenanigan enablers:
guild feud
lurking predators
call of the wild (probably needs scroll rack or at least sensei's divining top to work though
warstorm surge (one-side pandemonium amazing)
seedborn muse- the only low power dude i'd run (except witness), because it really is that good
birthing pod- requires some building around, but amazing if your deck is build for it
summoner's egg- meh... but cheating is still cheating
quicksilver amulet- again kinda meh but w/e it works, sometimes
thousand-year elixar dubs mayael fishing... seems pretty good

okay thats all for this one, good luck with her 
Bloom Tender and Tooth and Nail are both nice cards for this deck. Bloom taps for one of each mana as long as Mayael is in play, and T+N is easy to ramp into for 2 fatties.
You guys bring up excellent ideas.  I'm trying to work with what I have, and I was a little impatient to get into Naya colors, as I was sitting on Gruul and Boros lands for a LONG time(and having to constantly say no to traders that wanted them was disheartening...missed out on some good cards, lol).

Trying to trade for Sylvan and Avacyn, as well as the amulet, but circumstances are making that difficult.  Will continue to keep them in mind.  I do have a Summoner's Egg, though, so I will pop that in(not sure what to drop...ideas?).  Like the idea of pod, but that doesn't appear to be feasible for this build.  If I tear it down and start over, then maybe...

Like the idea of Guild Feud...another Ragebeast can keep kickers and such from being a problem...
Rings of Brighthearth for double Mayael activations.

<----- Loser.

See above, Pontiac...don't have, but bracers are there as a backup.  Believe me, when I get the rings, they go in too...triple plus Mayael activations, OHMERGERD!
I have mixed thoughts about Myojin of Infinite Rage.  It doesn't play well with Mayeal's ability and you don't really want to lose your own lands unless you already have a solid board position.  I would replace it with a fattie that doesn't need to come into play from your hand in order to be relevant.  Rampaging Baloths comes to mind.

Perhaps run Wild Pair for some more shenanigans.  Lurking Predators also works pretty well.
Myojin of Infinite Rage is there as a deterrent.  He'll primarily go off when Assemble the Legion can put me in a solid position(i.e., not very often).  Rampaging Baloths or Lurking Predators does sound good, though...I'll keep them in mind.
Out
Firemane Avenger - never cast this, and I was more eager to put in Lightning Helix Angel just for flavor rather than actual utility
Iona, Shield of Emeria - I've never felt right playing this card, and it was more of a stand-in anyway.
Fangren Marauder - Never cast, don't see it really turning a game around
Infiltration Lens - not beneficial enough to have my guys blocked

In
Johan - Vigilance is good.
Hamletback Goliath - Finally got this guy in a trade, can't see anything wrong with him in here.
Clan Defiance - aka "Why would you choose just one?!?".  I actually forgot about this, but I'm glad I was able to trade for it.
Craterhoof Behemoth - Why not?
Out
Firemane Avenger - never cast this, and I was more eager to put in Lightning Helix Angel just for flavor rather than actual utility
Iona, Shield of Emeria - I've never felt right playing this card, and it was more of a stand-in anyway.
Fangren Marauder - Never cast, don't see it really turning a game around
Infiltration Lens - not beneficial enough to have my guys blocked

In
Johan - Vigilance is good.
Hamletback Goliath - Finally got this guy in a trade, can't see anything wrong with him in here.
Clan Defiance - aka "Why would you choose just one?!?".  I actually forgot about this, but I'm glad I was able to trade for it.
Craterhoof Behemoth - Why not?

well i agree with ur cuts (except iona, i understand ur decision, just disagree, but i enjoy the "here's the game master" element she brings to my mayael deck), but johan and goliath i disagree with. Johan is just sorta bland, vigilance isnt that relivant that u'll want that extra 5 power sitting on the sidelines, perhaps ruric thar, the unbowed? And Sure goliath gets gia-normous but a gia-normous/ gia-normous folds to a reassembling skeleton so days. He doesnt trigger warstorm surge (well he does but not for a super revelivant amount of damage) and he's best used when he dies by something like brion stoutarm or bloodshot cyclops. U'll be better off with a fattie that etb as fat and has evasion. 
*steeples fingers*  I like Ruric, particularly since I found out he was a 'true' ogre(I've always liked the easter egg voice clip from the WC2 ogres, lol).  However, his backlash ability concerns me enough to not play him...particularly not in this deck.  I have far too many non-creature spells to risk getting backhanded for 6 damage each.  I see your point on the goliath, but even if I just get one big swing out of him, it's still worth it.  If he doesn't pan out, I take him out for something I trade for later(Worldspine Wurm perhaps?).  And as for Johan, he's another I want to test on this deck.  I still have a good feeling about him, but I'm willing to admit that some playtesting might prove me wrong on that score.  If that's the case, I know what to pitch for surge.
Well, I managed to trade for two more cards that could fit in this deck, but I'm iffy on one.  Vigor is absolutely going in, but what's the consensus on Platinum Emperion?  At any rate, here's the current listing.

General
Mayael the Anima

Creatures(36)
Spelltithe Enforcer
Elvish Piper
Reya Dawnbringer
Vagrant Plowbeasts
Magmatic Force
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Darksteel Colossus
Ancient Hellkite
Hellkite Igniter
Dawntreader Elk
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Terastodon
Hamletback Goliath
Garruk's Horde
Verdant Force
Gaea's Revenge
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Engulfing Slagwurm
Deathless Angel
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Vengeful Archon
Requiem Angel
Summoner's Egg
It that Betrays
Pathrazer of Ulamog
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Razia, Boros Archangel
Rubblebelt Raiders
Aurelia, the Warleader
Steel Hellkite
Vigor
Gruul Ragebeast
Pelakka Wurm
Craterhoof Behemoth

Planeswalkers/Enchantments(9)
Journey to Nowhere
Mobilization
Ajani Goldmane
Sarkhan Vol
Ajani Vengeant
Leyline of Sanctity
Garruk Wildspeaker
Assemble the Legion
Glory of Warfare

Spells(12)
Frenzied Tilling
Swords to Plowshares
Exploding Borders
Regrowth
Overwhelming Stampede
Blasphemous Act
Beacon of Immortality
Harmonize
Day of Judgment
Cultivate
Harrow
Clan Defiance

Artifacts(5)
Boros Signet
Gruul Signet
Gruul Keyrune
Obelisk of Naya
Illusionist's Bracers

Lands(37)
Gruul Turf
Vivid Grove
Vivid Meadow
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Teetering Peaks
Ruins of Trokair
Havenwood Battleground
Boros Garrison
Seraph Sanctuary
Clifftop Retreat
Slayers' Stronghold
Kessig Wolf Run
Razorverge Thicket
Graypelt Refuge
Sunpetal Grove
Stirring Wildwood
Kazandu Refuge
Rootbound Crag
Raging Ravine
Stomping Ground
Copperline Gorge
Eldrazi Temple
Boros Guildgate
Mountain 4
Plain 5
Forest 5
I think godsire would fit nicely in here
Portalis, I completely agree.  I'mma see if I can get that from my LGS when he heads out on a resupply run.

Out:
Hellkite Igniter - with only 5 artifacts in the deck, I don't think +5/+0 is worth it.

In:
Platinum Emperion
After some acquisitions, made some changes.

Angel of Serenity(in) - recursion, mostly
Trostani(in) - life gain is good...
Krosan Grip(in) - always relevant
Meglonoth(in) - Can't see going wrong with this
Rampaging Baloths(in) - nice, and doubles off of Trostani's ability
Rith, the Awakener(in) - Seriously?

Garruk's Horde(out) - never saw it as a game changer/player
Hamletback Goliath(out) - I guess one of the earlier posters was right
Requiem Angel(out) - big beef for 1/1s?  Not a good exchange
Assemble the Legion(out) - never played it
Mobilization(out) - same as above
Ancient Hellkite(out) - Probably would be best/bonkers in a mono-red...not so much here
Spelltithe Enforcer(out) - REALLY didn't want to let this guy go, but I didn't have many other choices.