Any work done on a Hybrid Avenger/Executioner?

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering if anyone had done any work on a Hybrid Avenger/executioner?  I was hoping to play a character like that and thought that with Power of Skill turning Overwhelming Strike into a MBA, the executioner's Weapon Finesse feature would kick in (+2d8 at lvl 11, the target level for this), while it would remain an Avenger power and so benefit from the reroll from Oath of Enmity.  Assassin's strike could get up to 6d10 (from what I can tell)...seems like it would have potential.  I would go elf, and use scimitar to get the high crit property, and use a ki focus for the magic.

Has anyone already worked this out?  Are there some obvious synergies/traps I am missing?  Would this work out better than a straight avenger?
It works pretty well.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I was wondering if anyone had done any work on a Hybrid Avenger/executioner?  I was hoping to play a character like that and thought that with Power of Skill turning Overwhelming Strike into a MBA, the executioner's Weapon Finesse feature would kick in (+2d8 at lvl 11, the target level for this), while it would remain an Avenger power and so benefit from the reroll from Oath of Enmity.  Assassin's strike could get up to 6d10 (from what I can tell)...seems like it would have potential.  I would go elf, and use scimitar to get the high crit property, and use a ki focus for the magic.

Has anyone already worked this out?  Are there some obvious synergies/traps I am missing?  Would this work out better than a straight avenger?

High crit isn't that much of a bonus. Crit optimization in general is not as good as it first appears. All too often, the extra damage is purely overkill.  Static bonuses are not nearly as sexy, but they are usually more effective.

If you were a full avenger, you'd be getting high crit from a Fullblade, but that's not strictly what makes fullblades good.  High crit is not worth a feat slot by itself, but a die size increase AND high crit makes it quite attractive.

The hybrid technique does work pretty well.  It can be a little boring to play.  Not quite as boring as a slayer, but it's in the running.

Consider going for flails.  Flail Expertise will let your Overwhelming Strike prone instead of slide. Executioners also get bola proficiency, so your one expertise feat will cover that too.  You won't WANT to use the bola because you are a melee class, but you really will want to have a ranged option available.  For instance, Bola Takedown from Executioner is a good way to get fliers down on the ground where you can beat on them properly.
I am also noticing a discrepancy between the compendium and builder on Assassination strike...my character sheet says it's 3d10 but compendium says 2d10 at level 11.

Would the crit-fishing be worth it if I used a certainty of death ki focus?  They are d12s per + on a crit, with the additional 2d8 from the high crit scimitar...
There is assassination strike and then there is assassination strike(hybrid).

You choose the second one but the builder gives you the first one.  There is a reason why selecting assassination strike again as a hybrid says +1d10 to your damage.

Edit: High crit on a weapon means nothing if you are using an implement.  I.e. high crit from a scimitar means nothing to a sorcerer using a heavy blade as an implement(bad choice but first that came to mind).  For implements, you are looking for a superior implement with empowered crit which is the implement version of high crit. 
Right.  I keep making that mistake when looking at implements and weapons...damn.

So, I am guessing CB is wrong with the Assassination Strike it gives me? Innocent

Hmmm...wondering if this is worthwhile.  It's basically a build that spams Overwhelming Strike, and gets a (watered-down?) version of Assassination Strike.  I was hoping for more synergy.
I am also noticing a discrepancy between the compendium and builder on Assassination strike...my character sheet says it's 3d10 but compendium says 2d10 at level 11.

Would the crit-fishing be worth it if I used a certainty of death ki focus?  They are d12s per + on a crit, with the additional 2d8 from the high crit scimitar...

Koshinuke already answered about Assassin's Strike.

I think you mean Final Sleep Ki Focus, if you're going for the +1d12 per plus on the crit.

Think about Oath of Enmity as approximately doubling your odds of getting a crit.  Without extended crit range, that means your crit chance is 10%. (it's actually only 9.75%, but whatever, close enough).

That means that at paragon level, the 2d8 from your high crit scimitar is going to average +5 damage on a crit, or +0.5 damage on your average hit because only 10% will be crits.  That's not much to write home about at paragon level.

Let's say your ki focus enchant is +3.  That means that those 3d12 will average +9 more damage on a crit than a vanilla 3d6 crit will, so +0.9 damage per hit overall.

Those benefits aren't terribly compelling even if they were static benefits (and thus reliable) instead of the lumpy not-always-when-you-need-them benefits that they actually are.

If you got extended crit range somehow, those benefits would double due to crits occurring twice as often... bringing them ALMOST in line with what you would want from the equivalent investment in static damage.  That's the point where crit fishing finally starts to break even, but it is difficult to do before epic without making significant investment tradeoffs.
So what static bonuses should one go for then? Painful Oath and Valenar training for the scimitar...what other static ones?
Erachima, what do you mean by triple-tap assassin encounter powers?
Thanks, that's interesting to know.

Do Executioners qualify for Deft Blade?  I thought they would since they have both Martial and Shadow as power sources, but CB isn't letting me choose it...
Do Executioners qualify for Deft Blade?  I thought they would since they have both Martial and Shadow as power sources, but CB isn't letting me choose it...

While Executioners themselves are a Martial class, the Character Builder lumps them with their parent class, the Assassin, which is purely Shadow. If you can set some Houserules, you can totally justify grabbing it.

Friday Character:

Zelkiiro, Lv17 Half-Elf Fire Elementalist/Academy Master

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Zelkiiro, level 16 Half-Elf, Elementalist, Academy Master Elemental Specialty: Fire Elementalist Fire Elementalist: Blazing Cloud Archery Mastery: Rapid Shot Mastery Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics) Arcane Admixture Power: Elemental Bolt Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 9, Con 22, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 24. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 18. AC: 31 Fort: 30 Reflex: 28 Will: 33 HP: 109 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 27 TRAINED SKILLS Arcana +19, Acrobatics +18, Bluff +22, Insight +18 UNTRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +16, Heal +11, History +12, Intimidate +17, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +12, Stealth +13, Streetwise +17, Thievery +13, Athletics +9 FEATS Level 1: War Wizard's Expertise Level 2: Improved Defenses Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger) Level 6: Archery Mastery Level 8: Arcane Spellfury Level 10: Unarmored Agility Level 11: Versatile Master Level 12: Fiery Blood Level 14: Dual Implement Spellcaster Level 16: Arcane Admixture POWERS Dilettante: Fading Strike (retrained to Rapid Shot (Archery Mastery) at Level 11) Elemental Magic: Ensorcelled Blade Level 10 Elementalist Utility Power: Narrow Escape Level 16 Elementalist Utility Power: Insightful Riposte Level 2 Elementalist Utility Power: Agile Recovery Level 6 Elementalist Utility Power: Sudden Scales Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Vezzuvu's Eruption ITEMS Rhythm Blade Incendiary dagger +3, Siberys Shard of the Mage (paragon tier), Robe of Defying Storms Githweave Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Boots of Quickness (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Melegaunt's Darkblade Incendiary dagger +4 ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Saturday Characters:

Vorgh, Lv10 Human Chaos Sorcerer

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Vorgh, level 10 Human, Sorcerer Build: Chaos Sorcerer Spell Source: Wild Magic Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics) Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 22. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18. AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 25 Will: 28 HP: 72 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18 TRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +18, Arcana +13, Acrobatics +16, Bluff +18, Insight +13 UNTRAINED SKILLS Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +9, Heal +8, History +8, Intimidate +13, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +8, Stealth +11, Streetwise +13, Thievery +11, Athletics +6 FEATS Human: Staff Expertise Level 1: Improved Defenses Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster Level 4: Implement Focus (Staff) Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 8: Unarmored Agility Level 10: Two-Weapon Defense POWERS Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Solkara's Wave Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins Sorcerer utility 2: Focused Chaos Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral Sorcerer daily 5: Everywhere and Nowhere Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm Sorcerer daily 9: Prime the Fire Sorcerer utility 10: Maiden's Waking ITEMS Staff of Ruin +2, Lucky Charm +1, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 8), Plague of the Dragon's Altar (heroic tier), Flask of the Dragon's Breath (heroic tier), Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Robe of Defying Storms Githweave Armor +3 ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Sheska, Lv10 Human Brawler Fighter

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Sheska, level 10 Human, Fighter Build: Guardian Fighter Fighter: Combat Superiority Fighter Talents: Brawler Style Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 22, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 8. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 18, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 8. AC: 29 Fort: 29 Reflex: 22 Will: 24 HP: 81 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21 TRAINED SKILLS Intimidate +11, Endurance +13, Heal +16, Athletics +18, History +13 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +9, Arcana +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +11, Insight +11, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9 FEATS Human: Master at Arms Level 1: Improved Defenses Level 2: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade) Level 4: Brawler Guard Level 6: Inescapable Hold Level 8: Focused Superiority Level 10: Pin Down POWERS Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike Fighter at-will 1: Cleave Power User Choice: Direct the Strike Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow Fighter daily 5: Bare-Knuckled Rebuke Fighter utility 6: Get Up! Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It Fighter daily 9: Bone Crusher Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded ITEMS Ravenclaw Warblade Khopesh +2, Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Safewing Amulet +2, Power Jewel (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Gift of Flame (heroic tier), Magic Javelin +1, Blessing of Blazing Fangs (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Viper Belt (heroic tier) ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Wow... I never thought of it like that, but thanks for the pointer on those encounter powers. So, under this more liberal interpretation of the hit expression, Flurry of Talons would effectively do 6d8 + 3x your damage mods if all three attack rolls landed?
You need something special to happen on a crit to make it worth while.  High crit isn't special.
Rending weapons give you an extra attack, which is special, though still not reliable and prone to over-kill.

Also, you can add all the charge-op into it as well.  Overwhelming strike let's you shift after you attack, so that helps.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

If Rending is overkill, what are examples of worthwhile crit effects?  I confess I thought doing a ton of damage was pretty good, especially against solos.
Also, you can add all the charge-op into it as well.  Overwhelming strike let's you shift after you attack, so that helps.

I've been pondering how charge builds work. Obviously getting the 2 squares necessary to charge every turn is the key, and the tricky part. Overwhelming Strike says "You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied." That doesn't sound like it is gaining you any space. Am I interpreting it too literally? Is the "and slide..." part optional?
If Rending is overkill, what are examples of worthwhile crit effects?  I confess I thought doing a ton of damage was pretty good, especially against solos.

There's nothing wrong with Rending.  CharOp often presumes that you're attacking a block of tofu Standard, and in that case, a multi-hit attack that also gets another attack is likely to do more damage than necessary.  Against solos, rending weapon is great.  If you're adjacent to another enemy and the main attack allows you to have another target, it's also great.  If you're in the midst of a Standard killing nova sequence, against a Standard, and Rending weapon fires, you may kill the Standard and still have potential hits left over, thus "wasting" damage.
Against solos, rending weapon is great.

Which is, what? 5% of combats?

Not necessarily. In my DM's games, combats are always:

40% - 1 or 2 solos, 3-4 standards, 5+ minions
30% - 1 solo, 2-3 elites, 10+ minions
20% - 3-4 elites, 3-4 standards, 4+ minions
10% - 6-7 standards, 4+ minions

So more like 70% chance.

Friday Character:

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Zelkiiro, level 16 Half-Elf, Elementalist, Academy Master Elemental Specialty: Fire Elementalist Fire Elementalist: Blazing Cloud Archery Mastery: Rapid Shot Mastery Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics) Arcane Admixture Power: Elemental Bolt Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 9, Con 22, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 24. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 18. AC: 31 Fort: 30 Reflex: 28 Will: 33 HP: 109 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 27 TRAINED SKILLS Arcana +19, Acrobatics +18, Bluff +22, Insight +18 UNTRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +19, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +16, Heal +11, History +12, Intimidate +17, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +12, Stealth +13, Streetwise +17, Thievery +13, Athletics +9 FEATS Level 1: War Wizard's Expertise Level 2: Improved Defenses Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger) Level 6: Archery Mastery Level 8: Arcane Spellfury Level 10: Unarmored Agility Level 11: Versatile Master Level 12: Fiery Blood Level 14: Dual Implement Spellcaster Level 16: Arcane Admixture POWERS Dilettante: Fading Strike (retrained to Rapid Shot (Archery Mastery) at Level 11) Elemental Magic: Ensorcelled Blade Level 10 Elementalist Utility Power: Narrow Escape Level 16 Elementalist Utility Power: Insightful Riposte Level 2 Elementalist Utility Power: Agile Recovery Level 6 Elementalist Utility Power: Sudden Scales Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Vezzuvu's Eruption ITEMS Rhythm Blade Incendiary dagger +3, Siberys Shard of the Mage (paragon tier), Robe of Defying Storms Githweave Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Boots of Quickness (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Melegaunt's Darkblade Incendiary dagger +4 ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Saturday Characters:

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Vorgh, level 10 Human, Sorcerer Build: Chaos Sorcerer Spell Source: Wild Magic Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics) Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 22. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 8, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18. AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 25 Will: 28 HP: 72 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18 TRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +18, Arcana +13, Acrobatics +16, Bluff +18, Insight +13 UNTRAINED SKILLS Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +9, Heal +8, History +8, Intimidate +13, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +8, Stealth +11, Streetwise +13, Thievery +11, Athletics +6 FEATS Human: Staff Expertise Level 1: Improved Defenses Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster Level 4: Implement Focus (Staff) Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 8: Unarmored Agility Level 10: Two-Weapon Defense POWERS Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Solkara's Wave Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins Sorcerer utility 2: Focused Chaos Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral Sorcerer daily 5: Everywhere and Nowhere Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm Sorcerer daily 9: Prime the Fire Sorcerer utility 10: Maiden's Waking ITEMS Staff of Ruin +2, Lucky Charm +1, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 8), Plague of the Dragon's Altar (heroic tier), Flask of the Dragon's Breath (heroic tier), Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Robe of Defying Storms Githweave Armor +3 ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== Sheska, level 10 Human, Fighter Build: Guardian Fighter Fighter: Combat Superiority Fighter Talents: Brawler Style Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 22, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 8. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 18, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 8. AC: 29 Fort: 29 Reflex: 22 Will: 24 HP: 81 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21 TRAINED SKILLS Intimidate +11, Endurance +13, Heal +16, Athletics +18, History +13 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +9, Arcana +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +11, Insight +11, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6, Thievery +9 FEATS Human: Master at Arms Level 1: Improved Defenses Level 2: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade) Level 4: Brawler Guard Level 6: Inescapable Hold Level 8: Focused Superiority Level 10: Pin Down POWERS Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike Fighter at-will 1: Cleave Power User Choice: Direct the Strike Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow Fighter daily 5: Bare-Knuckled Rebuke Fighter utility 6: Get Up! Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It Fighter daily 9: Bone Crusher Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded ITEMS Ravenclaw Warblade Khopesh +2, Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Safewing Amulet +2, Power Jewel (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Gift of Flame (heroic tier), Magic Javelin +1, Blessing of Blazing Fangs (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Viper Belt (heroic tier) ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
So what you're really saying is that your DM should go back to DM school, that your combats are so far from the norm as to not be comparable, and that rending weapon is still inferior to harmony ?

A single at level Solo hits about XP budget for a 5 man party. Granted, due to focus fire in any sort of organised party, they are not a challenge, but the point stands. Either your DM is giving you ± 200%XP, and thus levelling up near every session, or he is throwing lower level monsters at you.
So what you're really saying is that your DM should go back to DM school, that your combats are so far from the norm as to not be comparable, and that rending weapon is still inferior to harmony ?

A single at level Solo hits about XP budget for a 5 man party. Granted, due to focus fire in any sort of organised party, they are not a challenge, but the point stands. Either your DM is giving you ± 200%XP, and thus levelling up near every session, or he is throwing lower level monsters at you.

We don't calculate EXP; we level up whenever the storyline demands that we do. Could be after 10 battles. Could be after 20.

But right now, at level 16, the monsters we fight are level 15-18. (In the level 8 campaign, the monsters are 7-10, with us having defeated our first  Paragon elite last week.)

Friday Character:

Show

Saturday Characters:

Show

Show
There's nothing wrong with Rending.

Sure there is: it's inferior to Harmony.
If you're adjacent to another enemy and the main attack allows you to have another target, it's also great.

Rending is vs. same target only.

1: Which is not available in Gouge.

2: But the rest of your nova sequence may not be.  Crit-op around Rending may not be the best possible crit-op, but it's certainly viable.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Oh, true.  My bad.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Not necessarily. In my DM's games, combats are always:

40% - 1 or 2 solos, 3-4 standards, 5+ minions
30% - 1 solo, 2-3 elites, 10+ minions
20% - 3-4 elites, 3-4 standards, 4+ minions
10% - 6-7 standards, 4+ minions

So more like 70% chance.

You should probably mention the size of the party.
Bigger parties are more likely to face solos/elites just because it's tedious to throw 7-9 standards out every combat.

That being said, my group which ranges from 5-8 players from week to week has faced maybe 2 solos during our run from 1-10, with the 3rd being the capstone of the tier.

THAT being said, if you're a mid-op kind of game, you're not as likely to overkill a standard (or at least an elite) with rending. Crit op is generally not a great way to do damage when you look at the actual math, but it can still be fun and exciting at the table. Just in a less effective way than most other routes of optimization.

Overkill is still better then underkill.

Adding rending bascily turns your 8% chance to crit-a-kill into a 9.5% chance to crit-a-kill.  Good?  Yes, Ultimate? No.

But as mentioned, harmoney is better, as it's less likely to be wasted.

guides
Power
my builds

THAT being said, if you're a mid-op kind of game, you're not as likely to overkill a standard (or at least an elite) with rending. Crit op is generally not a great way to do damage when you look at the actual math, but it can still be fun and exciting at the table. Just in a less effective way than most other routes of optimization.

Crit OP is very nice for Executioners, actually--especially if you MC Rogue and grab Knockout and obtain a Five Stars Five Strikes for a practically-guaranteed self-reliant crit once per day. You will eventually hit, and you will get your delicious Attack Finesse + Assassin's Strike + extra crit damage.

And if you've got a Warlord with Death from Two Sides, you can party it up every encounter.

Friday Character:

Show

Saturday Characters:

Show

Show
" unless you're exploiting Hybrid Assassin's Strike's RAW."

I confess, that's what I was hoping to do.  At 11th level, the hybrid executioner can have 5d10...maxing that is a huge chunk off a solo or elite.
Can you break down that build?
that sounds very appealing? 

Please be nice.

I really hate to see name-calling and rudeness on these forums.

Every level starting at three you use your retraining slot to select a new encounter power, and then instead choose to raise Assassin's Strike by a die. 3 to 11 gets you 9 dice from that. At 11th level AS has a base die count of 2d10.

The rest is obvious.

That's just nasty. I like it.

Friday Character:

Show

Saturday Characters:

Show

Show
Every level starting at three you use your retraining slot to select a new encounter power, and then instead choose to raise Assassin's Strike by a die. 3 to 11 gets you 9 dice from that. At 11th level AS has a base die count of 2d10.

The rest is obvious.

Seems interesting, but I think you can only do that by hand. I dont believe either builder would actually allow me to do that.
81259321 wrote:
My new rule for people who are obtuse is to just assume they're purposefully trolling. It makes me less sad for humanity that way.
Well yeah, on a hybrid executioner, at level 3 for retraining, the only way to choose assassins strike is to loose it, then when loosing it, you are just resetting it and it doesnt seem to go up by another die at all.
Im playing around with the old patched builder and cant replicate what you said 
81259321 wrote:
My new rule for people who are obtuse is to just assume they're purposefully trolling. It makes me less sad for humanity that way.
You know what erachima? The character builder is never wrong!

You know god? He actually made the character builder.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Wouldn't retraining be the more specific rule in this instance, in that you only replace the power, ignoring the "instead" line, which is intented for encounter power levels 7, 13, 17, 23, and 27?
81259321 wrote:
Wouldn't retraining be the more specific rule in this instance, in that you only replace the power, ignoring the "instead" line, which is intented for encounter power levels 7, 13, 17, 23, and 27?

What you're saying is the rule as intended. What erachima is saying is the rule as written. He even opened this whole thing up by referring to it as "exploiting Hybrid Assassin's Strike's RAW," because that's what it is. "Exploiting RAW" tends to mean unintended cheesiness.
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Blasphemy. The character builder made god!
The only CB-legal god build is the Elf High Mage.

Blasphemy. The character builder made god!

In Soviet Russia, Character builds YOU
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

I don't know what I did that was illegal or could be considered promoting illegal activity, but okay, I was banned for a day.

I also don't know why the last post was removed, but all I said was: Mia* Culpa. I am very sorry erachima. I was wrong and I needlessly got mad. Sincerest apologies.
(mea culpa)

(eating crow means same as eating my words, if thats why my post got taken down)
81259321 wrote:
: Mia Culpa. I am very sorry erachima.

I am assuming unintended pun, still made me smile.

Oh yes. Ive only ever heard it phonetically, never read it spelled out. *mea culpa x 2

Wait... i mean, no. <_<;  >_>; the pun was totally intended 
81259321 wrote:
I was wrong and I needlessly got mad. Sincerest apologies.

That musta been it.  This is the internet: you're not allowed to admit being wrong here!

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima