You Make the Card 4: Eldritch Rites submission from Finland?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I found this. This person claiming to have design Rites appears to be from Finland. Thoughts?

mtgcommander.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...

Surprising, isn't it? To the best of my knowledge, it should have been impossible. However, the names are available in here:
 forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=1...

Sami Rissanen... VariSami. Hey, is there someone called that who lives in the US or Canada in Facebook? That's the best way to confirm this I can think of, although not everyone uses FB.

Now then, to get serious. I was as surprised as anyone to receive the message from Mr. Jarrett. It was supposed to be impossible. There are a few theories I have come up with to explain it.

1. I use an internet connection provided by my home university. While I am not really well-acquaintanted with the IT behind this, maybe they have an international IP address or something?

2. All submissions were saved but there was an algorhitm for excluding foreign submissions. Due to the storm that was brewed among players for excluding non-Americans, they might have allowed for all the submissions to be rated. Maybe foreigners were discouraged by the idea that their submissions would not be rated and did not post them, keeping the total amount low and handable? I am not sure.

3. As in the previous theory, there was an algorith to exclude foreign submissions. However, all submissions were sent to the people who would rate them and they were somehow not informed about the divide. As such, foreign submissions could have been among those selected to be sent to the next person to evaluate and at that point the amount of submissions, even with foreign ones included, would have been handable. 
VariSami's entry should not be allowed in the contest. Wizards of the Coast made it clear in the rules that only US/Canadian entries were going to be accepted, leading people outside those countries who followed the rules to not submit entries. For them to then go back on that is not only awarding people who broke the rules, but punishing people for following the rules. This is going back on their word and grossly unfair.

VariSami's entry should be disqualified.
I like Rites, and it's one of my favorites to win. I doubt Wizards will do squat about it since Sami signed the admission that he was not from the US. Even if he took it to court, it'd be a tough case to fight after admitting to lying to WoTC. Wizards should be able to print this without any legal consequences, though I'd imagine the U.S. designers can push Wizards to dq this entry if they create enough feedback on it. Public relations has already been nasty in this contest for WoTC failing to mention that the rules text is only available to U.S. citizens, and now that a Finnish submission made it to the finals... I doubt they'd want to create more of a public relations nightmare than they have already done.
Disqualifying Eldritch Rites is disqualifying the card, not the creator. We had already voted on it - it was 'our' card and they took it away. If they caught it before voting I would have agreed. But now we miss out on a cool card just to avoid treading on the sensibilities of foreigners who feel hard done by because they followed the rules. But it looks like you got your way anyway. I still disagree.
Did my post cause the disqualification? I sure as hell didn't expect it, and I have to say that I do think its fair to the people that did not submit and followed the rules, it is unfair to the public that liked this card along with the public that hated the other card. Also, it's unfair to somebody that didn't get their card picked after somebody cheated them out of it. I think Wizards could have picked a replacement card, or they can still do it in a later round. Would it really be that hard to pick one single card to do this at this point in time? Personally, I feel it's mostly unfair that a missing rare from Homelands advanced to the next round over the dq.
Disqualifying Eldritch Rites is disqualifying the card, not the creator. We had already voted on it - it was 'our' card and they took it away. If they caught it before voting I would have agreed. But now we miss out on a cool card just to avoid treading on the sensibilities of foreigners who feel hard done by because they followed the rules. But it looks like you got your way anyway. I still disagree.

Wizards isn't doing it for some foreigners, they're doing it for themselves. They have an image to maintain, and these things are bad if left undealt with. It damages their integrity.
VariSami's entry should not be allowed in the contest. Wizards of the Coast made it clear in the rules that only US/Canadian entries were going to be accepted, leading people outside those countries who followed the rules to not submit entries. For them to then go back on that is not only awarding people who broke the rules, but punishing people for following the rules. This is going back on their word and grossly unfair.

Are you from the US, by any chance?
I think the font size answers your question

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sign In to post comments