Phyrexia vs. Kamigawa

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
57461258 wrote:
Huh. Yeah, Kamigawa is probably one of the safest places from Phyrexia right now. That's... kind of interesting actually.

So someone pointed out on another thread that phyrexians would have trouble with spirits. And what better place than kamigawa to have spirit trouble? Kamigawa could pose a threat to phyrexia's glistening oil, it could also reunite the creatures of kamigawa with the spirits.
>_> Why is this its own thread?
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

Apparently Froofroo wants Barinellos to annihilate him. I'll watch gleefully.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

As I stated in the previous thread:  I'm pretty sure that the Phyrexians wouldn't even make it to the Plane of Kamigawa because they wouldn't make it past the inter-planar bouncers.

EDIT:  I mean, really, these are ladies that told Old 'Walkers like Bolas and Leshrac to keep on 'Walking and not even bother stopping.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Apparently Froofroo wants Barinellos to annihilate him. I'll watch gleefully.

There's been a lot of temptation lately, I won't lie.
What are these interplanar bouncers?

The sisters of Stone and Flesh.
Ah, okay.

I do think Kamigawa and New Phyrexia are an interesting conflict. I can imagine compleation killing the capacity for apotheosis, but the kami can form from concepts and relationships that are beyond the reach of the Phyrexians.
Ah, okay.

I do think Kamigawa and New Phyrexia are an interesting conflict. I can imagine compleation killing the capacity for apotheosis, but the kami can form from concepts and relationships that are beyond the reach of the Phyrexians.

What Phyrexians lack in apotheosis they make up for in apoptosis. Cool

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Damned F&S subforum expanding my horizons by making me look up vocabulary words.
I DIDN'T COME HERE FOR NONE OF THAT FANCY BOOK LEARNING
Ah, okay.

Perhaps Phyrexians could achieve victory by reshaping the world so that all the important concepts are redefined through a Phyrexian lens? It sounds like a terrible idea but I find it fascinating.
I love it how this forum is able to take an idea made as a passing joke, and refine the **** out of until it works.

"F&S;
Getting really excited about dumb ideas since (however old this forum is)"
I'm honestly curious if it'd work. Normally, machine monstruousities don't work against the gods, but phyrexians are magic powered machine monstruousities.

Even if they don't grasp the whole soul thing, they'd probably figure something out.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I love it how this forum is able to take an idea made as a passing joke, and refine the **** out of until it works.

"F&S;
Getting really excited about dumb ideas since (however old this forum is)"

Why do you think this forum is here?

Anyway, I know they would probably never be able to get there, but IF they did, what do you think would happen?
Ah, okay.

Perhaps Phyrexians could achieve victory by reshaping the world so that all the important concepts are redefined through a Phyrexian lens? It sounds like a terrible idea but I find it fascinating.

Yeah, this is actually a pretty interesting notion...

I mean, we know that Phyrexia had a complex set of scriptures and had turned The Ineffable into a kind of primordial god-force. The idea of a Praetor dreaming up a Kami Avatar of Phyresis (or Phthisis) is... unsettling
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Isn't that essentially antithetical to the Phyrexian disbelief in the soul? The kami are more tangible than the soul and spent many years corporealizing, but I think the idea of a kami essentially contradicts like the Machine Orthodoxy. Granted, I am not as great an expert on New Phyrexia, but I think there's a reason no Spirits appear in Scars of Mirrodin.

ETA: I suppose the metaphysics of Kamigawa could create such a contradictory being with enough time regardless of Phyrexian beliefs? idk. It'd be interesting to see a Batterskull reach a hundred years on Kamigawa and become a tsukumogami.
I am not as great an expert on New Phyrexia, but I think there's a reason no Spirits appear in Scars of Mirrodin.

They were there the first time, for whatever that's worth.
Ah, okay.

Yeah, this is actually a pretty interesting notion...

I mean, we know that Phyrexia had a complex set of scriptures and had turned The Ineffable into a kind of primordial god-force. The idea of a Praetor dreaming up a Kami Avatar of Phyresis (or Phthisis) is... unsettling

Yah this is acualy pretty creepy. It would be a really great way to show off phyrexia's horrible smart. Though it's to complex for magics current state of flavor :/
The idea of a Kami Avatar of Phyresis is in my humble opinion, is concevaible, but will it be kami or oni, and if it isn't oni, then what side will the ogre's and their oni masters take? We know that the kami are all about the natural world, but the ogres and the oni are about their own things, so it wouldn't really be all that hard for to see the ogre and oni's allowing a path for the phrexians into the spiritual world. This could really do something bad for Kamigawa, since the ogre's and oni magic are incredibley strong.

Most likely, it will be a civil war with oni and kami, some kami see power, will other's wish to perserve the natural world. Will the oni will be split with Phrexia might, and consumption of the world.
I believe the oni are just a subclass of kami, in that they are divine representations of natural forces or social meanings. I know Shintoism distinguishes between the kami and the yokai, but I don't think Kamigawa does, since creatures like the Yuki-onna also have the attendant spirits. Oni just represent destructive forces.

Also, the most powerful oni, I believe, is now in an agreement with the Sisters of Stone and Flesh. I'm not sure the oni would fall in with the Phyrexians since the Phyrexians do not destroy worlds, as they see it, but assimilate them into their perfection. That seems just as antithetical to the oni. 

I believe Michiko and the Taken One are the Sisters of Flesh and Spirit. You may be confunding them with the golgari gorgons, Sisters of Stone Death.
[<o>]

I believe Michiko and the Taken One are the Sisters of Flesh and Spirit. You may be confunding them with the golgari gorgons, Sisters of Stone Death.

Yeah, very likely. Just a freudian slip between two very similar names.
Though as I linked the cards, the identity was accurate enough.

Anyway, I know they would probably never be able to get there, but IF they did, what do you think would happen?

If they got past the guardians?  I think they'd give a certain demon-infused ogre indigestion.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Dat crack pairing...
I hate dogs.
Wait a second... if all this stuff is true, Tamiyo suddenly has a compelling backstory. Just think about it. She finds herself able to travel the multiverse, study the collected knowledge of countless worlds. But she can't return to her home plane, share what she has learned with her fellow scholars at Minamo. She is more free than ever, yet trapped at the same time. Deep @#$%.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Wait a second... if all this stuff is true.

It's not.  
And she regularly returns to Oboro.
Wait a second... if all this stuff is true, Tamiyo suddenly has a compelling backstory. Just think about it. She finds herself able to travel the multiverse, study the collected knowledge of countless worlds. But she can't return to her home plane, share what she has learned with her fellow scholars at Minamo. She is more free than ever, yet trapped at the same time. Deep @#$%.

She's from there.  She has a pass-card.

Dat crack pairing...

Which crack pairing? Kamigawa and phyrexia or it that was taken and truth seeker?
Dat crack pairing...

Which crack pairing? Kamigawa and phyrexia or it that was taken and truth seeker?

Kami-phy.
I hate dogs.
Dat crack pairing...

Kami-phy.

Tis a crack parring. The cracky-ist 
Sign In to post comments