The Sundering Adventure series

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've seen the listings for these modules on the products page, but there's no mention of the rule system that it will run on. Do they plan on using the D&D Next rules or will it be system-neutral? It seems a risky move to sell these $30+ modules (when did the economy recover, anyway) with an unproven rule set?

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

I've seen the listings for these modules on the products page, but there's no mention of the rule system that it will run on. Do they plan on using the D&D Next rules or will it be system-neutral? It seems a risky move to sell these $30+ modules (when did the economy recover, anyway) with an unproven rule set?

Based purely on rumor:
WotC originally intended to release them as system neutral, with 4e and 5e stats (and potentially others) available for download. However, they thought better of it and decided to go with 5e stats (but 4e stats will still likely be available for download).

It seems a risky move to sell these $30+ modules (when did the economy recover, anyway) with an unproven rule set?

If by unproven you mean unreleased, then yes, this is unusual... but not as unusual as announcing a new rules set two years before it's expected release. WotC is simply no longer marketing 4e material (and hasn't been for awhile now). Overall, their previous previous plan seemed far riskier.

If by unproven you mean untested... well, 5e's already gone through a lot more testing than any previous edition.
There is a fair bit of information (at times scattered) on Murder in Baldur's Gate. With a Gen Con event and gameday we will all get to sample what it offers. With a combination sourcebook and adventure it looks to have a high degree of utility.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I was hoping either system neutral or 4e w/5e available for download. However, the concept explained from Gen Con last year sounds intriguing enough that I will happily gobble these up.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I cant hack another FR re-release of content I have had since the 80s/90s. Like Menzoberranzan. It was pitiful compared to the 2e box set. I dont think there is anything left to know about Baldurs Gate, certainly not w that price tag.
I dont think there is anything left to know about Baldurs Gate

I completely agree with using 2e/3e resource material. However, Baldur's Gate tripled in size in 4e. Per the FRCG p94:
"the city’s population is believed to have long ago surpassed even Waterdeep’s"
"Baldur’s Gate was an “open city,” a safe haven for refugees from south of the Sea of Fallen Stars. The trickle of displaced people soon became a flood, and the city nearly collapsed under the weight of a population that doubled, then tripled in size."
"The heart of Baldur’s Gate lies within the old, high walls, but the city has spread across the River Chionthar and for miles in every direction. Built quickly and by the hands of refugees, the architecture is a hodgepodge of styles from all across Toril"

Although I have plenty of 2e/3e Baldur's gate stuff, I have desperately needed something that detailed this new city.

The adventure will have a preview (at Gen Con and looks like also at game stores), so you can check out the adventure quality for free (and have fun doing so). I think it is okay for me to share that my respect for the authors has grown tremendously, and I already thought highly of them. Check it out before casting judgment.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

As I have no interest in D&D Next, I will pass on these books. If they had been 4th/5th in print then I would. But I'm not downloading sloppy, half-assed 4th conversion rules on a printed book.
People forget that there was an adventure with quick start rules when 4e first came out. Keep on the Shadowfell was released before the hardcovers, and did a pretty good job getting people into playing 4e. I'm optimistic that Murder at Baldur's Gate will be similar.
I signed up for the Gen Con event for MaBG recently. Hopefully it turns out to be as good as they hype.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

It appears official that Murder in Baldur's Gate shall be written to run in D&D 3.5, D&D 4 and D&D Next rules. Even better, looks like anyone can buy it and run it. Amazon.com has listed Murder in Baldur's Gate at $24.77. A reasonable price, and about time Wizards of the Coast charged for this content.

Amazon.com also lists the second Sundering adventure, Legacy of the Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore, James Wyatt and Jeffrey Ludwig at $24.65 with a 19 November release date.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

I think selling Murder in Baldur's Gate is a wonderful idea. it will totally release me from having to run the Encounters season to obtain the module. I like that. IF its not a good book I can do something else.

as for 5th - call me when there is a series of books and a campaign guide. I ran the Vault series as that was the only way to get that module but the rules changed while I was preparing the material. Tha's just nutz.