Do you think there will ever be a new DnD turn based strategy video game?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would love to see a new DnD game similar to the new X-com but with more rules and details. There could be near endless possiblities for DLC and expansions. I really hope something like this happens.
Not in the present climate.

Right now Publishers control the video game market,  and due primarily to their staggering lack of business sense,  the cost to make a video game has ballooned.  A Publisher adds 25%-ish to the budget alone,  before they start meddling,  and doesn't actually generate any work in developing the game.

Because of that,  and the serious fatigue setting in due to endless repetitive titles/sequels,  Publishers aren't willing to make anything that they don't think will "Appeal to the mass market".  So basically,  the only games they'll make are Shooters and the occasional Action-Adventure.

You can see this in practice by playing the Mass Effect series.  Pre-EA,  the first game had RPG elements and decisions that mattered.  The second game,  Post-EA,  became a pure shooter with no RPG elements and decisions that didn't do anything.  The third game continued the trend,  adding things like "If you missed a quest item,  you can just buy it in a store" just to hammer home that it was just Yet Another Shooter.

We won't see a TBS game like X-com in D&D until the market corrects itself,  which will take several years.       
An X-COM style Dungeons and Dragons game is exactly the kind of game I've been keeping my eyes open for on Kickstarter.com.
A random Joe named Joe Randim.
Well that's sad to hear. I'm not sure how popular DnD is these days, but it seems like at least all the DnD fans would be interested in a game like that. And wouldn't X-Coms's popularity be an incentive to produce a similar game? Maybe Firaxsis could produce it. Anyway, you're probably right. I won't be holding my breath.

Randem_Joe: I never thought of looking on Kickstarter. I'll keep an eye out too.  
Well that's sad to hear. I'm not sure how popular DnD is these days, but it seems like at least all the DnD fans would be interested in a game like that. And wouldn't X-Coms's popularity be an incentive to produce a similar game? Maybe Firaxsis could produce it. Anyway, you're probably right. I won't be holding my breath.

Randem_Joe: I never thought of looking on Kickstarter. I'll keep an eye out too.  

Sadly,  the Industry is in such amazingly bad straights,  that even that's not enough of an incentive to make a game.  It's hit the point where the Publishers are so creatively bankrupt,  that they just won't do anything other than a Shooter.  They've convinced themselves the only game worth making is a CoD clone or maybe a Gears of War clone.

I'll explain how and why we go to this point if anyone's interested,  otherwise I'll just say...We're on the edge of a complete meltdown in the video game industry,  and it's pretty much unavoidable.  About the only way the Industry isn't going to completely melt down is if somewhere between 35 and 70 million people buy the new consoles in it's first year,  and if they buy pretty much every game that gets released that year. 

If the Industry does it's normal thing,  and sells somewhere between 10-20 million units in it's first year with no acceleration in the sales curve in the second year,  it's highly likely the Industry will come to a screaming halt by early 2015 at the latest.   
I suspect you're right, but how do you explain the success of games like Skyrim and X-com? Both are deep, immersive, non-shooter games and have been extremely popular.
I suspect you're right, but how do you explain the success of games like Skyrim and X-com? Both are deep, immersive, non-shooter games and have been extremely popular.

Good questions!

X-com:  X-com was made by Firaxis,  which is lead by Sid Meier,  Sid is amongst the very few designers who can dictate terms to a Publisher,  there's maybe 2-3,  Miamoto being another.  Their games always sell,  and sell well.  Plus,  companies need Sid for Civilization,  which also sells well,  giving him the clout to do special projects.  He's like JJ Abrams or Joss Whedon (Post-Avengers),  "I'll make X for you,  but you have to bankroll this project I want to do".  Pretty much no one else in the Industry has that clout.

Skyrim:  Skyrim's largely a generational phenomenae right now.  It's sales were largely driven by "I can be a Vampire Assassin!".  It's similiar to World of Warcraft or Pokemon,  it's a game that a demographic latched onto. 

Bethesda really lucked into it,  they've been making Open World games for nearly 20 years now,  and honestly it bankrupted them once.  They happened to be in the right place,  with the right buzzwords,  during the Open World fad.

Keep in mind too,  Skyrim's gameplay is really more Shooter than RPG.  They've replaced guns with swords and spells.  Honestly,  you could very literally replace swords with Halo or Gears of War melee weapons,  and spells with guns,  and the game would very likely play out exactly the same.  I'd be willing to wager that it would be nearly identical to something like Mass Effect.

In honesty,  I suspect a deep analysis of Skyrim would turn up more commonality with a Shooter than it would with an RPG at this point,  because alot of the RPG trappings are generally illusionary.  Especially once you pull in the level scaling into the analysis. 

Don't misunderstand,  I'm not saying it's a bad game,  just saying that it's not as far from the Shooter tree as it appears at first glance. 
If the game could stay faithful to the mechanics of the RPG, I would certainly be in on this, even though I'm not a big video game guy (at least not new games).

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

An X-COM style Dungeons and Dragons game is exactly the kind of game I've been keeping my eyes open for on Kickstarter.com.

I totoally disagree with your assessment Gatt. Right now the time is ripe for a small developer to nail this for tablets. I think once the new turn-based Shadowrun game for pc and iOS releases and the sales speak to its success, you will see something on the horizon. There is a whole generation of people like myself (40 somethings) that are chomping at the bit for a return to turn based goodness. Project Eternity on Kickstarter (funded $4,000,000-2.5 million over its desired funding) was created by the people who have had a hand in about every good rpg to date (Torment, Fallout, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale, Star Wars KOTR). It will play similar to Baldurs Gate with you being able to hit space to pause the actions and assign actions. You can still get in on the kickstarter even though it is funded already by visiting the games website. I just bought one the other day for $50.
All the talk of publishers controlling the market is rubbish. Project Eternity is a testament to that. No publisher at all and the game is funded plus some, to create amazing DLC. With Kickstarter, Project Greenlight, and Pathfinder open source, the market is wide open. There is also a Pathfinder MMO on kickstarter as well. Maybe the D&D title won't be on the game, but games will get made in the vein that the OP describes. The day of publishers is almost at the end. With digital developement and kickstarters developers can go anywhere and do anything if they have a strong idea. Once again 4 million dollars to fund a game is a testament to that. This isn't your grandpa's game market anymore.

I totoally disagree with your assessment Gatt. Right now the time is ripe for a small developer to nail this for tablets. I think once the new turn-based Shadowrun game for pc and iOS releases and the sales speak to its success, you will see something on the horizon. There is a whole generation of people like myself (40 somethings) that are chomping at the bit for a return to turn based goodness. Project Eternity on Kickstarter (funded $4,000,000-2.5 million over its desired funding) was created by the people who have had a hand in about every good rpg to date (Torment, Fallout, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale, Star Wars KOTR). It will play similar to Baldurs Gate with you being able to hit space to pause the actions and assign actions. You can still get in on the kickstarter even though it is funded already by visiting the games website. I just bought one the other day for $50.
All the talk of publishers controlling the market is rubbish. Project Eternity is a testament to that. No publisher at all and the game is funded plus some, to create amazing DLC. With Kickstarter, Project Greenlight, and Pathfinder open source, the market is wide open. There is also a Pathfinder MMO on kickstarter as well. Maybe the D&D title won't be on the game, but games will get made in the vein that the OP describes. The day of publishers is almost at the end. With digital developement and kickstarters developers can go anywhere and do anything if they have a strong idea. Once again 4 million dollars to fund a game is a testament to that. This isn't your grandpa's game market anymore.

Oh! A shadowrun TBS? I had not heard of that. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that! Thanks Cabal23!
I checked out Shadowrun Returns. That looks good. I'm going to pre-order that. Now, imagine a game like that or X-Com, based on D and D, but with a full party and running through classic modules like Against the Giants and Queen of the Demonweb Pits. That's what I'm hoping for!
No
No

Why no?
@Burntskull. I'm hoping that the ipad can churn out some decent turn based D&D games. Playdek has a contract with Wizards but it is for turning board games into video apps for the ipad (something of value).

However, there just wasn't been a good turn based game for a PC since the Temple of Elemental Evil (a great game).

There is hope for one but I'm not holding my breath. It's best to err on the side of caution; no better prediction of future behavior than past behavior.
Temple of Elemental Evil was a mess. A good game, but a mess ultimatley. I met the developers at a game expo back then and they told me Atari levied an unrealistic developement cycle on the game. These were hardcore gamers who just wanted to do the franchise right. After the game was released (way before it was ready) there was almost no support or patching done to correct the issues due to no funding. Atari considered it a failure right out the door. Atari's longterm failure is evident in their recently filing for bankruptcy.

The upside is several memebers from that developement team are working on Project Inifnity which promises to be amazing. You have some of the best RPG developers in history working on it with no publisher on their back. As I stated in my previous post, Kickstarter has alleviated the problem with publishers, stock holders, and everything that causes games to fail. Game developers are going to stop working for the likes of EA and the rest of the slime that dwell in the game industry. We are not talking AAA titles here, we are talking niche games that can sell a million or so internationally and can be considered a success, so that those developers can go on to feed their families and make another quality game.

You are seeing this change in music, art, book publishing, film, reselling (ebay). Capitalism in general is making a wide swing to the left of center. The middle man is slowly going away. With 3D printers, manufacturing is going to see it swan song in the next few years. There are even 3D printers for creating electrical components now. The bottom line is YOU are going to be the producer, consumer, and seller. The old standard of doing business is going away and a new one is rising, which is a great thing for creativity and economics in general. 
@Burntskull. I'm hoping that the ipad can churn out some decent turn based D&D games. Playdek has a contract with Wizards but it is for turning board games into video apps for the ipad (something of value). However, there just wasn't been a good turn based game for a PC since the Temple of Elemental Evil (a great game). There is hope for one but I'm not holding my breath. It's best to err on the side of caution; no better prediction of future behavior than past behavior.

Another great game that is missed as far a great turn-based rpgs go is Drakensang. It produced two sequels as well, all very successful. It is on Steam and I had a wonderful time with it. It uses the same conventions as many of the games that allow you to pause the action and issue orders. Check it out if you haven't.

Temple of Elemental Evil was a mess. A good game, but a mess ultimatley. I met the developers at a game expo back then and they told me Atari levied an unrealistic developement cycle on the game. These were hardcore gamers who just wanted to do the franchise right. After the game was released (way before it was ready) there was almost no support or patching done to correct the issues due to no funding. Atari considered it a failure right out the door. Atari's longterm failure is evident in their recently filing for bankruptcy.

The upside is several memebers from that developement team are working on Project Inifnity which promises to be amazing. You have some of the best RPG developers in history working on it with no publisher on their back. As I stated in my previous post, Kickstarter has alleviated the problem with publishers, stock holders, and everything that causes games to fail. Game developers are going to stop working for the likes of EA and the rest of the slime that dwell in the game industry. We are not talking AAA titles here, we are talking niche games that can sell a million or so internationally and can be considered a success, so that those developers can go on to feed their families and make another quality game.

You are seeing this change in music, art, book publishing, film, reselling (ebay). Capitalism in general is making a wide swing to the left of center. The middle man is slowly going away. With 3D printers, manufacturing is going to see it swan song in the next few years. There are even 3D printers for creating electrical components now. The bottom line is YOU are going to be the producer, consumer, and seller. The old standard of doing business is going away and a new one is rising, which is a great thing for creativity and economics in general. 

Did you play Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight mod? It made that game WAY better.

Also, it's called Project Eternity, not infinity. Thanks for the heads up. That game does look fantastic.
Oops sorry for the typo. Also check out Torment and Fallout 2. Both are similar to Projet ETERNITY.

Sign In to post comments