Energy Drain Question

I have a question pertaining to the D&D Next Wight, specifically the Energy Drain ability.  Per the current version of the rules, the power upon hitting would do 1d8+2 points of necrotic damage and reduce the target’s hit point maximum by 5. The reduction lasts until the end of the target’s next long rest.

So, here is a scenario:

A creature that has 13 hit points at full health is struck by the Wight’s Energy Drain attack for 5 points of damage would be down to 8 hit points, which would then become his new maximum hit point total. What happens if the damage is less than 5 points?  In this case, let’s say the creature is hit for 3 points of damage, reducing his total hit points to 10. The second part of the power indicates that the maximum hit points are then reduced by 5. Would this then reduce his hit points down to 5? If so, the wight has effectively caused 8 points of damage, and not 3.

This power might want to be reworded to be less ambiguous.

I agree that the wording needs to be clearer, but the way I would interpret it (based on your scenario) would be that the target takes 3 damage, reducing to 10, then take 5 off of the max HP of 13, reducing to 8. This would effectively mean that the minimum damage that can be done with this attack would be 5. That's how I read it, anyway.
To someone at full health the damage follows thus. Attack deals 1d8+2 damage (Min 3, Max 10). Target takes the damage, lets say 3 of their 13 max HP. Target's HP is now 3 less than max HP (10/13). Then 5 points is subtracted from the max HP total (13-5=8). New HP total is now 2 more than new max (10/8), current falls to max as you cannot have more HP than your max. (8/8)

Now if the target is already under their max HP, they take damage normally and unless their max HP is reduced below their new current HP, all that happens is the max is reduced and no more math is needed. So it's not that the minimum damage is 5, only when the target's health is at max.

Examples

6 points of damage and 5 max HP reduction
20/25 HP -> 14/20
25/25 HP -> 19/20

1 point of damage and 5 max HP reduction
20/25 HP -> 19/20
25/25 HP -> 24/20 -> 20/20
Hi,

This isn't a session report, so I'm moving it to Playtest Packet Discussion

Thanks!

Monica
To someone at full health the damage follows thus. Attack deals 1d8+2 damage (Min 3, Max 10). Target takes the damage, lets say 3 of their 13 max HP. Target's HP is now 3 less than max HP (10/13). Then 5 points is subtracted from the max HP total (13-5=8). New HP total is now 2 more than new max (10/8), current falls to max as you cannot have more HP than your max. (8/8)

Now if the target is already under their max HP, they take damage normally and unless their max HP is reduced below their new current HP, all that happens is the max is reduced and no more math is needed. So it's not that the minimum damage is 5, only when the target's health is at max.

Examples

6 points of damage and 5 max HP reduction
20/25 HP -> 14/20
25/25 HP -> 19/20

1 point of damage and 5 max HP reduction
20/25 HP -> 19/20
25/25 HP -> 24/20 -> 20/20

Ahh, you're right. That's a good point.
Sign In to post comments