[YMTC4] Rules Bracket

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Top 8 has been decided!

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Consuming Contract

At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one—You draw two cards and lose 2 life; or destroy target creature; or __________*; or you lose the game. You can't choose the same mode twice.

*This ability originally read "Cast a spell without paying its mana cost." That was judged to be too powerful compared to the others. If this design wins, we'll have a further vote to decide what ability will go in this blank space.

Double Down

Exile two cards with the same name from graveyards: Draw a card.

Blood in the Watering Can

At the beginning of each end step, if you've lost life this turn, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Mass Mummification

CARDNAME enters the battlefield with thirteen bandage counters on it.

At the beginning of your upkeep, each player's life total becomes the number of bandage counters on CARDNAME, then remove a bandage counter from CARDNAME.

Soulfeaster's Rising

Whenever a creature dies, exile it and put a risen counter on CARDNAME.

As long as CARDNAME has five or more risen counters, it's a 7/7 Demon creature and has "CARDNAME has all activated abilities of all creature cards exiled by CARDNAME."

Revenge of Necromancy

Whenever an opponent discards a creature card, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

Whenever an opponent discards a land card, add BB to your mana pool.

Whenever an opponent discards a noncreature, nonland card, draw a card.

Eldritch Rites

Sacrifice a nontoken creature: You may cast target black instant or sorcery card from your graveyard. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

Demonic Bargain

CARDNAME enters the battlefield with X doom counters on it.

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a doom counter from CARDNAME and draw a card. Then, if CARDNAME has no doom counters on it, sacrifice it and put a 5/5 black indestructible Demon token with flying onto the battlefield under an opponent's control.

~~~ 

Which ones did you vote for?

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Ha, I was just about to make this thread.

Voted for Double Down, Blood in the Watering Can, Soulfeaster's Rising, and Demonic Bargain.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed that these were the best 8 designs submitted. Certainly there were a couple in the thread on here I preferred.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Predictably, I picked the goofiest/most flavorful cards each time.

Dammit, I want a Vorthos card. It's not like we're going to get to determine power level anyway, so we might as well go for something fun. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Same as Glasir except I voted for Consuming Contract instead of Double Down. I don't really like any of them.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Not a lot of room for flavour text on those. I think I liked two of them.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Same as Glasir except I voted for Consuming Contract instead of Double Down. I don't really like any of them.

Argh, i somehow missed the last option on Contract. Y'know, the one that makes it interesting. Now i like it again. [headdesk]

It also baffles me that they would ever consider printing something like Revenge of Necromancy. Gross. What an ugly card. Double Down has room for FT, but I don't like the card.

Also, I didn't vote for it but Blood in the Watering Can? Best name ever, maybe?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
It also baffles me that they would ever consider printing something like Revenge of Necromancy. Gross. What an ugly card.

i looked at it as a variation of deathrite shaman. That's not really a good thing, but it does show some precedent for that sort of card. On the other hand, it's almost too similar to the Shaman...

Consuming contract is the most interesting one to me.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Watering Can was definitely the most disappointing card of the set. With a name like that, it should have been craziness worthy of, like, Pablo, or Mown, or Riovard.

It... did not live up to my expectations.

Consuming Contract was probably the most interesting, once I figured out what was going on. I actually do quite like the flavor of that card, and it's mechanically interesting space to explore, I think.

The others... yeah. I've seen better posted on these boards. :/
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I liked 0 of these cards.

I voted for Double Down or whatever in the first one, then decided that if they were all gonna be that bad I was just gonna stop caring.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
The names don't seem like they will be final. 

Demonic Bargain and Consuming Contract seems like the most interesting to actually play with (As opposed to leering over the card and admiring its oh-so-perfect-design). For bargain make a decision on when you want to play it, draw some cards, and deal with the consequences. Consuming Contract is interesting design that is also very "dramatic"; only issue I have is that the abilities by nature have to be a weird charm-style toolbox. 

Blood in the Watering Can will be priced up to oblivion (Remember, painlands and fetchlands), Revenge of Necromancy requires other discard cards to work at all, Double Down is unusable in EDH and is only interesting as a potential degenerate combo card, Mass Mummification is cute but rather ungainly outside of a control build, and Eldritch Rites seems like it will be very expensive.

EDIT: I'll add some love for Mass Mummification: It's essentially a lich card. You play it, you (Hopefully) can keep your opponent from having 13 or 12 or 11 or whatever points of power on the battlefield, and then you play your win-con and the game's hopefully over. You can also pay life without worrying about the consequences. It's not supposed to kill the foe, it's supposed to keep you alive. 
Demonic Bargain seems like the most interesting to actually play with (As opposed to leering over the card and admiring its oh-so-perfect-design). You make a decision on when you want to play it, draw some cards, and deal with the consequences.

mind spring.

Demonic Bargain seems like the most interesting to actually play with (As opposed to leering over the card and admiring its oh-so-perfect-design). You make a decision on when you want to play it, draw some cards, and deal with the consequences.

mind spring.

Mind Spring isn't black and doesn't have a looming drawback that you play around. I do think the card would play better at two cards per counter, since it becomes easier to find a balanced price.

I forgot about Contract, and that's the other one that'll probably have my vote.
I totally missed the last line on consumming contract and dismissed it as a boring card.
I LOE Demonic Bargain. I'm going to have to find a way to vote for it twice. Every PC in the school computer lab has a different IP address right
So if you donated Consuming Contract with one option left unchosen, the oponent who gains control of it still gets to choose whichever option they want right?
I'm sure this is partly my bitter jealousy talking, but most of these just suck.

Consuming contract is a cool idea, but the two modes already on there are unexciting.

mummification has cool flavor but the card is almost useless.

Blood in the watering can, as mentioned, would be nuts with fetches and probably cost upwards of six mana. Bleh.

I like playing discard spells, but Revenge would almost definitely end up costing too much mana and be too slow to get use out of. 

Eldritch rites looks kind of fun to play with so I vote for that.
Eldritch has the most potential if they keep the cost under 7.

Revenge looks like the most fun.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I missed the last line on consuming contract. Strangely, that makes the card less interesting now.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Anyone care to make a guesstimate of what the mana cost of these cards may be? Seems kinda important in voting for this.

Guess I'll take a stab.

Consuming Contract - possible given the lose the game mode? It'd be broken, but I'm fine with that.
Double Down - Figure 3 is likely in order to keep this one in check.
Blood in the Watering Can or more. Though it should be less.
Mass Mumification - Seems a 4.
Soulfeasters Rising or more - Waiting should be the drawback for getting this demon on the cheap.
Revenge of Necromancy or 5 - I'd think this one will have a higher cost than it's worth.
Eldritch Rites  - Keeping it all black could bring in a sweet cost for this black snapcaster.
Demonic Bargain - Anything more would be sad. This card is already sad enough.

I voted for Double Down or whatever in the first one, then decided that if they were all gonna be that bad I was just gonna stop caring.

This.

This.

Pretty much this. I did vote, but hell, like a lot of folks I lost interest as soon as it became apparent that I was unable to submit.
Thoughts on each card.

Consuming Contract - The good: It's drawback will keep the cost low, it gets another yet undetermined ability, it kills things and draws you cards. The bad: The drawback of taking a chance and losing, having to build around the need to kill this thing or figure out  a way to deal with it, it's not very unique. Still, I voted for this one just cuz of how awesome it has the potential to be.

Double Down: Surprised this one made the cut. The good: card draw. The bad: This will probably be costed high given the card draw ability and won't be worth it, there will be many times no cards will be drawn, the randomness, this card all in all sucks, flavor to ability. How did this make the cut? (Edit - I'm assuming land cards will be excluded here in the final edit.)

Blood in the Watering Can: The good: Grave interaction = sweet, effect is every turn given life loss, a classic black effect. The bad: A bit boring of a card, will likely cost a lot, not a unique ability, requires life loss to function. I voted for this one as it is decent enough, but it's just OK. Again, this one made the cut? I thought we were looking for something sort of new, not just a sorcery tacked on an enchantment.

Mass Mummification: The good: Vampire Hexmage. The bad: Requires Hexmage and something to keep you alive.

Soulfeaster's Rising: The good: Should be cheap due to the waiting, it's defense against wrath effects, it's a demon creature, it's grave hate, it's good when you play wrath effects. The bad:  Waiting. I voted for this one as it is a creature that also is a demon, it's got a lot of things it does, and it steals activated abilities (I don't have to worry about Birds of Paradise dying, I want them to die now.)

Revenge of Necromancy: The good: Look at all the cool stuff this card gives you, and finally a black ritual (which is needed badly in black these days), and it's a friend to Lili. The bad: The cost will probably be too high, meaning your opponent will have few to no cards in hand when you play this - it requires opponent discard to trigger, which usually is not a good thing as running too much discard in your deck is a bad idea.

Eldritch Rites: The good: A reusable black snapcaster, a sack outlet. The bad: The cost will probably be ugly.  I voted for this one.

Demonic Bargain: No good about this as long as Phyrexian Arena exists. It's all bad. Seriously, what the hell is this? What designer looked at this and thinks this is acceptable? Phyrexian Arena costs only 3, it doesn't die very easily, it has a way smoother drawback. This could have improved with being card draw for each upkeep, but drawing only one card per turn? This card sucks.

Top 3
1. Soulfeaster's Rising - I'm surprised more people don't like this given how much it does.
2. Eldritch Rites - Despite it's likely high mana cost, this card is going to be badass.
3. Consuming Contract - Sign in Blood + Murder + another voting round that gives us another black and probably common mode. Pretty fresh, and even more so if it gives a ramp mode or tutor mode.
every pair of cards contains one that's really boring and one that has an interesting (or sometimes "interesting") concept but tries way too hard
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I have to put in my promotion for card not to vote for. Flavor aside, Demonic Bargain is garbage. Compare to Phyrexian Arena and Mind Spring. Please don't vote for this crap rare.
Ha, I was just about to make this thread.

Voted for Double Down, Blood in the Watering Can, Soulfeaster's Rising, and Demonic Bargain.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed that these were the best 8 designs submitted. Certainly there were a couple in the thread on here I preferred.

You are now my nemesis. (Not really, but my picks are the exact opposite of yours).

I'm with SimonGlume here. Not only because I know that Demonic Bargain is guaranteed to be underpowered, but also because Eldritch Rites is my favorite.
The more I look at these eight cards, the more I dislike them
I don't really like any of these (and apparently these are the best out of eight thousand designs, so...). Soulfeasters's Rising is probably the most interesting of them, so I hope it wins. Mass Mummification could also be interesting with a lower number of bandage counters; it is not because Innistrad did a bunch of 13 cards that your card needs to use 13.
I vote that we get new cards. These are pretty bad.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Found this quote from the article.  "Based on the public opinion of what a great card design is from the YMtC forum's 'Best of the Best' thread, we have chose the following 8 designs."
I voted same as Glasir except I voted for Eldricht Rites, because I'd rather have a fun broken card than a boring one...

Consuming Contract, to me, is a try hard card.  It's options aren't very attractive to me and the "threat" of losing the game is pretty easy to get around...the most inticing part of the card was the blank.

I do agree though, none of them really interested me.  Rites and Bargain were my top two...pity they were paired together.  Blood in the Watering Can was pretty cool but seems ludicrously abuseable in black.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
What cost would mass mummification need to not hose aggro(and burn if it somehow a thing)?

I like it quite a bit.  

I didn't like any of them either.  The Doom one stuck out more than the others, but only because it had the word "draw" on it.  It seems to me that Wizards is playing it too safe.  These community cards are few and far between.  They should be famous, or at least make some kind of an impact.  As it stands now, I will no longer be following the YMTC because the card this time around is just going to go to the same place as all the ones that aren't Crucible.  (Forgotten Ancient is...ok...).

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Impressively, all the options seem to be linked, so when I choose to vote in poll 3 it removes the choice in number 2. Now, this wouldn't normally be relevant, but since I chose all my votes before submitting, I also got to find out that voting for neither is a legitimate option. Thankfully I didn't care much for the third one anyway.

Well, I don't care much about any of them, but the third one the least.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I don't really like any of them.

I think I voted for Double Down, Revenge of the something, the Mummification one, and I don't remember the last one.

And yeah, I don't like any of these. :<
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I'm fine with most of these. I feel like, if they were printed, they'd be interesting one-note cards in a set and it's because it's YMtC (the event, not the board) that they are held to a higher standard. I don't think that it is wrong to hold them to a higher standard here, I just tend to think less about individual cards now? I wonder if any interesting mechanics came up in the search that they're going to think about using in the future, like double strike.
I'm fine with most of these. I feel like, if they were printed, they'd be interesting one-note cards in a set and it's because it's YMtC (the event, not the board) that they are held to a higher standard. I don't think that it is wrong to hold them to a higher standard here, I just tend to think less about individual cards now? I wonder if any interesting mechanics came up in the search that they're going to think about using in the future, like double strike.

yeah, if any of these came up in a contest I was running I'd be like "eh, okay." and give it a middle of the road grade. but as you say, this is YMtC, and they're playing it super safe, because heaven forbid they print one out-there card.

look at the previous YMtCs. do you see a forgotten ancient in here? how about a crucible of worlds? no, nothing like it. maybe there's some vanish into memorys in here, but legit how many of you forgot that was a YMtC card?

Vanish into memory is weird and always felt discongruous to me.
ViM is great though. I actually dislike Forgotten Ancient the most.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

People reference Forgotten Ancient but I always...forget...that it had some sort of significance. Crucible of Worlds is clearly the standout to me. Vanish into Memory is an interesting quasi-top-down idea but it reads like a YMtC contest entry that got away from the poster (we've all had those entries), and it was saddled with Coldsnap.