[M14-ICD] Scavenging Ooze

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
Scavenging Ooze |
Creature - Ooze (R)
: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and you gain 1 life.
In nature, not a single bone or scrap of flesh goes to waste.

The Steam/Android/iPad promo for DOTP 2014!

This dude is going to be a house in Standard, yes?

Source: www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/05/more...
that should drop its price
proud member of the 2011 community team
I am so happy about this.  I have one of the guys but could never justify buying more at his price.  I'm getting 2 copies of the game just for this guy (not kidding).

Also, I agree with Enigma; this should drop it's price (unless it is Mythic as people suspect).

On a side note: do you need to pre-order the game to get the Promo cards or do you get them just with a purchase "while quantities last"?
I think it's while supplies last, but supplies are usually pretty limited

Do you get some sort of code that let's you know if you get one fo the 6-card packs?  i'll be pissed if I buy the game and don't get the card.
I'll definitely be getting a playset if these are in M14. They would go great in my Standard Gruul Control deck. Not to mention, putting this guy in Modern will be crazy good for Jund and any decks running green. With how combo heavy the format is, all the more utility-disruption the better.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Why the hell is this a mythic? This is just a "value bear" which happens to be very very playable.

Geez wizards could you be any more blatant with your price thuggery?
What, like voice of resurgence?

There is nothing to suggest this is a mythic and it has no business being a mythic.

Being a DotP Promo definitely qualifies as something that suggests it's a promo.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I meant Mythic at the end of that sentence. I'd edit, but I'm on mobile. Also, I'll point out that it has no business being at mythic, being Voice of Resurgence and Tarmogoyf's mythic reprint are both points of reference that Wizards cares about power level more than flashiness.
The DotP promos have all been mythics so far yes but with the exception of Serra Avatar they've also all been cards that had already appeared in a Core Set and even Serra Avatar was a reprint. Wizards may make the promos rares this time so as to not flood the market with new Mythics, that was the reason why they stopped making prerelease promos Mythics after all.

Do you get some sort of code that let's you know if you get one fo the 6-card packs?  i'll be pissed if I buy the game and don't get the card.

The supply bottleneck is at your local retailer, not anywhere WotC can control.  You print the coupon (with code on it), you bring it to a local hobbycard retailer, and if they still have promos in stock they give you one.  If they don't... you bring your coupon to the next store hoping they do.

that was the reason why they stopped making prerelease promos Mythics after all.

Except for, you know, the most recent prerelease promo.
Nooo I turned down a taiga because I thought this guy would continue to climb in price. Damn it I gotta get rid of it before people take noticeD:
@thatmarkguy: Thanks for clearing that up.  I came off alittle...rougher(?) then I meant, but I honestly had no idea how the promos worked.  The game is fun and all but the Ooze is the main reason I'd be getting it this year.  We have enough shops around here I should be able to get them even if I get two copis of the game (Steam/Android).  Cheers.

Also as far as the Mythic rating; he has absolutely no reason to be a Mythic, but I call one card to your attention -> Lotus Cobra.  They (WotC) seem to being better now with most Mythics...oh wait...Voice of Resurgence Undecided
I see no reason the price won't finally plummet now that every standard and modern player will be demanding playsets too.
I see no reason the price won't finally plummet now that every standard and modern player will be demanding playsets too.

It's a valid point but does he really have more utility then Deathrite Shaman

Honest question as I don't play competitively. 

It lets you get rid of any card in a graveyard letting you shut down a goyf a lot easier and it allows for more of a beatdown strat. I would honestly hold onto one if you get it, this is a god send for modern like deathrite. Also considering this little guy is in the core set should we expect any of the other cards from commander or possibly planechase? Maybe baleful strix?
I'd say its going to still be a rare and not mythic. Its a good reprint the price was getting obnoxious.

<----- Loser.

It lets you get rid of any card in a graveyard letting you shut down a goyf a lot easier and it allows for more of a beatdown strat. I would honestly hold onto one if you get it, this is a god send for modern like deathrite. Also considering this little guy is in the core set should we expect any of the other cards from commander or possibly planechase? Maybe baleful strix?

I got one for my B-day and it's not going anywhere (yes it makes me very happy).  If anything, I want 2 more (4 maybe?) for a Jund deck I want to make.  So no, I won't be trading any of this guy.

I've always thought he fill's a different roll that DS.  He can exile things the turn he hits, doing it more then once a turn, while becoming a major threat.  I was just curious on the opinion of people who played Modern.  I know he still sees play in Legacy even with DS.

As far as other reprints: I may actually do a "happy dance" if they reprint Baleful Strix.  I don't see why they can't, he's amazing but not game breaking IMO.  The other card I would love to see, but doubt it will happen (especially since Bloodbraid has been banned in Modern), is Shardless Agent.
Green needed more tricks. Yay.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I got one for my B-day and it's not going anywhere (yes it makes me very happy).  If anything, I want 2 more (4 maybe?) for a Jund deck I want to make.  So no, I won't be trading any of this guy.

I've always thought he fill's a different roll that DS.  He can exile things the turn he hits, doing it more then once a turn, while becoming a major threat.  I was just curious on the opinion of people who played Modern.  I know he still sees play in Legacy even with DS.

As far as other reprints: I may actually do a "happy dance" if they reprint Baleful Strix.  I don't see why they can't, he's amazing but not game breaking IMO.  The other card I would love to see, but doubt it will happen (especially since Bloodbraid has been banned in Modern), is Shardless Agent.

Well he does do deathrites shamans job better but also he laughs at tarmogoyf and knight of the reliquary both big modern and legacy cards. So he essentially is a jack of all trades and the fact it replaced a tarmogoyf in a green deck should be enough evidence on his power level. Look up legacy maverick it runs him using him to the fullest.
Is getting video game promos difficult in some places? I always get all 3 and I don't play any video games. My store still has some from last year.
Is getting video game promos difficult in some places? I always get all 3 and I don't play any video games. My store still has some from last year.

I wouldn't think so normally.  I know my friend bought the Steam version in the fall and got his cards.  I'm only worried becasue 3 versions are getting a promo of a card that is currently worth $30.  On top of that, it's printing in M14 will take it from Legacy only, to Legacy, Modern and Standard.  So while the supply will increase dramatically so too will the demand.

I also think there will be several people like myself; I'm only buying the game to get Scavenging Ooze.  I'm also buying the game on at least 2 (if not 3-4) accounts, and all will be for the same promo.

Edit: In reality I will probably play the game, but I wouldn't be buying it release day if it wasn't for this card. 
Before more people flip out of the rarity: A) The  ICD is based on the promo in which case they could print it at whatever rarity they want. B) It doesn't even sound like it's confirmed as mythic promo wise, it's just the OP's conjecture. It's entirely possible that they decided to do a cycle of rares for the dotp promos and just print them with mythic rare symbols.

Well he does do deathrites shamans job better but also he laughs at tarmogoyf and knight of the reliquary both big modern and legacy cards. So he essentially is a jack of all trades and the fact it replaced a tarmogoyf in a green deck should be enough evidence on his power level. Look up legacy maverick it runs him using him to the fullest.

I've heard comments about him ousting Goyf in some decks, I'll look it up.  Cheers.

Before more people flip out of the rarity: A) The  ICD is based on the promo in which case they could print it at whatever rarity they want. B) It doesn't even sound like it's confirmed as mythic promo wise, it's just the OP's conjecture. It's entirely possible that they decided to do a cycle of rares for the dotp promos and just print them with mythic rare symbols.

All the video game promos have been mythics. So unless they change it on us now...

All the video game promos have been mythics. So unless they change it on us now...

Considering how much he sell's for, and how scarred WotC is of pissing of collectors/shops, I can see him being Mythic Rare; if only to somewhat limit his availability   
Well, I was curious if they'd actually start printing some of those cards previously only found in Commander/Planechase.  It's a good thing, too, since this card is really expensive.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Well, I was curious if they'd actually start printing some of those cards previously only found in Commander/Planechase.  It's a good thing, too, since this card is really expensive.

Yeah, i think he's "dropped" to $30 from $35 Undecided.

I still want more Baleful Strix and Shardless Agent printings as well; though I suspect the latter is to "OP" for Standard/Modern.
He's 20$ on tcgplayer now.
I haven't had the chance to play with the ooze yet, does it work better in midrange or aggro.
Midrange in Modern/Legacy.

Even Tarmogoyf isn't really fast enough for aggro decks these days, and the Ooze requires further setup. Can't say for Standard, though, as that has fewer options available.
Very awesome card to get in standard.
I'm very excited about this one. I'm hoping it makes some waves in Standard. I know I'll be playing them in as many decks as I can fit them into. They'll actually be a pretty sweet addition to the BUG deck I've been working on since Gatecrash that is just shy of being competitive.
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 
I find it interesting that a card once exclusive to a supplementary format is now moving into the Standard constructed game. I wasn't sure whether there was a rule regarding that but the question's answered now. This blows the door wide open to Commander and Planechase cards, barring a select few that only make sense in their home format to begin with. There's even a remote possibility we'll see the Commander fifteen printed someday.

Good to see. Unsurprising.

Yeah, i think he's "dropped" to $30 from $35 .

I still want more Baleful Strix and Shardless Agent printings as well; though I suspect the latter is to "OP" for Standard/Modern.

There's always hope for Return to Alara (which I'd love to see someday), but I can't really see Cascade being a returning mechanic there.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Ooze is better than Deathrite since it doesn't tap to use its ability.  Unless you're an elf deck and the creature type matters.

The price for non-foil ooze might drop considerably, but the foil price is going to remain very high.  Maybe if they print it again in M15 the prices will finally come down to affordable.

Ooze is better than Deathrite since it doesn't tap to use its ability.  Unless you're an elf deck and the creature type matters.

The price for non-foil ooze might drop considerably, but the foil price is going to remain very high.  Maybe if they print it again in M15 the prices will finally come down to affordable.

So glad you didn't say "stricktly". I'd argue that yes the ooze is beast, but Deathrite does more. First off Deathrite is a 1/2 for either a b or g mana. 2nd there is certain benefits to what is removed from a GY. Sorry I just really like Deathrite haha. But again ooze is a beast too
Sign In to post comments