Line of sight/Line of effect

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a question, I am using a weapon with the dwarven thrower enchantment, If I used the sensing eye ability that I took through the Wild Talent Feat, would I be able to use the Dwarven Thrower weapon to strike someone from around a corner?

I ask this only because the line of sight/ line of effect rules confuse me, line of sight would say yes but line of effects seems like it wouldn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated
You can't attack someone from around a corner with Sensing Eye because you don't have line of effect to it and this power doesn't remove the need for it, it only circumvent line of sight.

RC313 line of Effect: A clear line from one point to another point in an encounter that doesn’t pass through or touch blocking terrain. Unless noted otherwise, there must be line of effect between the origin square of an effect and its intended target for that target to be affected.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thank you
What sensing eye could let you do is let you hit an enemy who is standing on the other side of a fog cloud (which grants concealment) or similar obscuring feature without the penalty for attacking a concealed target - unless the target is actually in the fog.

What sensing eye could let you do is let you hit an enemy who is standing on the other side of a fog cloud (which grants concealment) or similar obscuring feature without the penalty for attacking a concealed target - unless the target is actually in the fog.

What if you put the sensing eye inside a Cloud of Darkness?

What if you put the sensing eye inside a Cloud of Darkness?

The sensing eye wouldn't be any help to you because Cloud of Darkness blocks all lines of sight, including those from the sensing eye.

The exception would be if you were the Drow who used Cloud of Darkness, and then for some reason you also put your own Sensing Eye inside your own Cloud of Darkness, in which case it wouldn't block your Line of Sight from Sensing Eye because you are immune to the cloud's effects.

Here's a crude but simple example of Sensing eye helps you see around effects.

F = Fog Cloud (ex: Stinking Cloud).  M = Monster.  P = Player. S=Sensing Eye.  . = open ground

The Fog cloud is heavily obscuring, so it blocks all line of sight. Player can see the square S where sensing eye can be located. Square S has line of sight to the square where the monster is.
.....M.....
...FFFFF...
...FFFFF...
...FFFFF..S
...FFFFF...
...FFFFF...
.....P.....
Example 2: (this may controversial extrapolation to some, but its how I read the rules on LOS + heavily obscured as working)
Monster is in the fog cloud which grants it total concealment (not hidden)
Player can see square S to place the Sensing Eye. As this is adjacent to the heavily obscured square, the creature now only gets partial concealment against player's attacks.
...FFFFF...
...FFFFMS..
...FFFFF..
...FFFFF...
...FFFFF...
.......P...
This second example may cause some controversy in a RAW discussion because the heavily obscured rule says "A creature has total concealment when it is in a heavily obscured square, although it has only partial concealment against an enemy adjacent to it". Technically, in this example, the player isn't adjacent to the creature, but the square from which it is determining LOS is. I don't have my books handy to check if the rules for concealment or heavily obscured outside of the glossary clarify this, but as a DM, I'd play it as reducing concealment.