Magic Waterskins minor bug

The latest version of the packet I have, in the Equipment file (dated March 2013, I guess) has a full waterskin in the table as weighing 4 pounds, but in the description it says that a waterskin holds a gallon of water.

A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds. "A pint's a pound, the world around", as they say.

Maybe the waterskins are made by Heward's Handy Waterskins LLC? 
The latest version of the packet I have, in the Equipment file (dated March 2013, I guess) has a full waterskin in the table as weighing 4 pounds, but in the description it says that a waterskin holds a gallon of water.

A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds. "A pint's a pound, the world around", as they say.

Maybe the waterskins are made by Heward's Handy Waterskins LLC? 

Who said d&d water weighs 8 gallons/pound?

Humm, you're right its odd.

Perhaps D&D water has the Light property that's why. Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Yes. They need to clarify this. 

LOL of all the things that needed/added, this needs fixed? IMO, this could go all the way to the finished game and i wouldn't be bothered in the least.

LOL of all the things that needed/added, this needs fixed? IMO, this could go all the way to the finished game and i wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Actually yes. This error is an inconsistency that will yield a contradiction when applied to gameplay. The fact that the nobody likes the fighter is not yet a contradiction. They could release the game with the fighter "as is" and it would be a meaningful set of rules by which to play the game. This waterskin bug on the other hand - minor though it may be - is in direct violation of the laws of logic. So yes, they do need to clarify this.  
Like I said, it's a minor thing. But minor things lead to weird results too. In the 3.5e PHB, a ten-foot pole was worth 2sp, while a ten-foot ladder was worth 5cp. Enterprising entrepreneurs could buy ladders, split them in half into poles, and make mad profit.

In 3.5e, a waterskin *also* weight 4 pounds, but didn't specify a volume, so I always assumed a half-gallon. This is totally reasonable if you've ever been backpacking or anything like that. So I was a bit surprised when it turned out that the 5e waterskin held a gallon, which, of course made me look at the weight.

And yes, some DMs track water consumption. It's a big deal. 
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t...

yeah, we ought to fix things like this now.

"Trying to run gritty gothic horror with 4e is like trying to cut down a tree with a hammer, likewise trying to run heroic fantasy with 1e is like trying to hammer a nail with a chainsaw."

This is what i get when i hit the Quote button:  http://community.wizards.com/%23

I prefer heroic action fantasy to micro managing realism, so I mostly ignore things like encumberance unless someone gets out of hand.  But for those people who do prefer that sort of game play, the information in the rules should be right and internally consistant if they're going to bother listing it at all.  The weights on almost all the weapons are too high (25 lb. maul?  Have you ever swung a 10 lb sledghammer?  Or a 24 Oz. Framing Hammer?  3 lb. Blacksmith's Hammer or Plumber's mini-sledge?  A real longsword or broadsword is 3 - 3.5 lbs. not 5.  A Katana is 3.5 - 4 lbs. w/ scabbard and should be versatile, not 2-H)  There are a lot of little nit pick things wrong with the equipment list.  1000 gp spy glass?  When a +1 Magic Sword is only worth 500 gp?  and a magnifying glass was what? 25gp?

Not that I thinks its much concern here in the playtest, but before the final edition sees first printing would be nice. 
No, this is not a big deal. But that doesn't mean it's not worth pointing out and fixing.

I would also appreciate it if they fixed the weapon weights too.
Which weapon you think need weight adjustment?

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Based on some quick googling, I suggest this. First column is the latest playtest, second is my suggestion.

EDIT - I made a few adjustments and provided references here.

<br /><br /> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="391"> <br /> <tbody><br /> <tr><br /> <td width="135">Cestus&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right" width="64">1.0</td><br /> <td width="64">&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right" width="64">0.5</td><br /> <td width="64">&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Club&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Light Crossbow</td><br /> <td align="right">6.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">6</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Dagger&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">1.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">1</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Dart&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">0.5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">0.5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Greatclub&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">15.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">6</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Javelin&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">4.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Mace&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">8.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Quarterstaff&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">4.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Shortbow&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Sling&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">0.5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">0.5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Spear&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">5.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Bastard sword&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">10.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Battleaxe&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">10.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Blowgun&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Bolas&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">1.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Crossbow, hand&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Crossbow, heavy&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">10.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">8</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Double axe&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Double sword&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Flail&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Glaive&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">15.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Greataxe&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">15.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">6</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Greatsword&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">10.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Halberd&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">15.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Handaxe&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">7.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Katana&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Lance&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">10.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">6</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Light hammer&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">7.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Long sword&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">5.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Longbow&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Maul&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">25.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Morningstar&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">12.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Net&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Pike&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">5.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Rapier&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Scimitar&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">4.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Short sword&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">3.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">2</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Spiked chain&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">5.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Spiked shield&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">5.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">5</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Trident&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">6.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Urgrosh&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>War pick&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">6.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">4</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Warhammer</td><br /> <td align="right">8.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">3</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> <tr><br /> <td>Whip&nbsp;</td><br /> <td align="right">2.0</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> <td align="right">1</td><br /> <td>&nbsp;lb.</td><br /> </tr><br /> </tbody><br /> </table>

None. Again, I'd rather they focus on things that matter to game balance and the general workings of the game. My game isn't going to grind to a halt if a whip weights a little too much or water weighs a bit less.

As to "a ten-foot pole was worth 2sp, while a ten-foot ladder was worth 5cp", that never worked. Ripping out the rungs leaves you with two very damaged 10' poles (they have large holes drilles into it after all). there is NO way you'd be able to sell those as anything but ladder parts.

See picture of medieval ladder (holes drilled though poles for rungs):

www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscri...

None. Again, I'd rather they focus on things that matter to game balance and the general workings of the game. My game isn't going to grind to a halt if a whip weights a little too much or water weighs a bit less.

I agree. But fortunately, it's not an either/or question. With just a tiny bit of effort, minor things like item weights are easily fixed, and they can still put plenty of effort into things that matter more.

I agree. But fortunately, it's not an either/or question. With just a tiny bit of effort, minor things like item weights are easily fixed, and they can still put plenty of effort into things that matter more.

I agree. And thanks jaelis for putting all this togheter!

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Based on some quick googling, I suggest this. First column is the latest playtest, second is my suggestion.

+1

If I am tracking weight, some of the weights given in the playtest suspended my belief - this led to me ignoring a lot of the figures (I am looking at you and your "friends", 25-lb maul)
Locke: [after mugging a merchant for his clothes] It's a little tight, but the price was right.

I agree. And thanks jaelis for putting all this togheter!

*shrug* You can still find people debating the weights of 1e weapons all these years latter and if you 'fixed' the 5e ones to where you like, then you'd just get someone that'd debate that THOSE where wrong.

On the maul, that weight is fine. Look at the link below. There is a modern maul (sledgehammer) that weight 22 lbs.

www.hammersource.com/Sledge_Hammers/10_k...
Well, there is some question of whether that would be a suitable weapon. I couldn't find any examples of warhammers nearly so heavy, but perhaps they are out there.