Wrecan

144 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow, that's terrible news.  The community has truly lost one of the best. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I have been scarce on the forum recently because work has been very busy, so I am just now reading this sad news. I have only been here for about a year, and he quickly rose to the top of my "must read" list because of his thoughtfulness, insight, positive attitude, and dedication to making D&D fun for all.

My condolences to his friends and family as they deal with their loss.

Mark and I often disagreed on things, but whether we agreed or disagreed, I greatly respected him and his opinion.  He was one of a small handful of people here that I highly respected.  He will be sorely missed.
Could there be a "Wrecan Game Day" in his honor once 5e launches? I don't think there can be too much tribute to give him for his contributions.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
I second the Wrecan Game Day, and make it a Lizard Folk themed adventure maybe...going in to protect persecuted lizardfolk followers of the forgotten Saurian God Wrecan from their more bloodthirsty kin perchance? Maybe rescue the holy script the Libram Wrecana from the dark Lizard Gods?

Wrecan will be sorely missed! 
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Wrecan should definatly the good god of civilization for lizard folk and kobolds.

His primary tenant is "Do not attack on sight".

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Oh wow. Life is trully too short.
My two copper.
I really don't have the words here. Wrecan was an awesome force here, often sharing insights whether it be in supportive posts, constructive criticism, or just cool things to add to the game and the community. And yeah, I loved the haikus too. I have a lot of respect for the guy and his absence will defenitely be felt here.

To Jodie - Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm very sorry for your loss.
To Everyone Else - It's heartwarming to see all these kind words for Mark. Thanks for being so awesome.
To Mark - I looked forward to reading your posts, blogs and all the other conversations we had. You were one of the best of us and I already miss you man.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

I am in shock and so sorry to hear this.  For all the jesting I gave on the haiku and their absence of late, I was not aware when I asked "where are they" of this tragedy.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Terrible, sad news. Good luck to his family, and gratitude for his contributions to our community.
He will be missed.  His poor wife, I wish her the best.  One of the best writers on the forum.  you never know who you can lose.

I shall be going home to hug my wife for many many minutes.

I never let a morning go by before I leave for work that i do not tell her how much I love her.  One just never knows.

Godspeed.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
I didn't know the man well, but I've been waiting for his Blog "Heroes of Blogging" to be released, as I do each month. His impact on me and the community is significant. I'll miss his words and humour.

Thank you Wrecan.
I posted in a couple other threads, but I'll add it here -

Wrecan was a pillar of the community here, and we were lucky to have such an awesome person contributing to the boards. He will be sorely missed, and I'll keep him in my thoughts. I definitely support the ideas of Wrecan Game Day and a dedication to him in the 5E books when they hit print.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
To say he'll be missed is an understatment.

I've seen people disagree with him, but I've never seen him be disagreeable. I've never seen anyone have any animosity towards him either.

It took me a long time to type Wrecan rather than Werecan.

Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
What a huge loss for the community. He was one of the more level-headed posters around here. He offered advice to many a person and shared tons of great ideas, more than a few of which I shamelessly stole for my own games. He will most certainly be missed. Sadly, a few words in a forum post doesn't begin to do justice to the contributions that he made around here. Best wishes for his family.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
The only person I subscribed to on here. I had hoped to see him pulled into the design team eventually. I am so grateful for his contributions and even-handed approach in all things. It is a true tragedy that the world is deprived of such a person.
From the few times I did bump into him on thread or via private message, he was the coolest dude ever, one of the rare few on the forums that never losed his cool.  He was the model poster, indeed.  In fact, he's a good chunk of the reason I want to build my own game.  He even gave me a bit of encouragement to do it.  He'll certainly be missed.  I really wish the best for his family.

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Didn't know him personally, but I can see he was a prolific writer and a family-man. Condolences to his dear family. Wrecan has gained immortality through the impact he's had on this game (and all of us) we love so much. He drinks with the Gods in their mead hall. Hail and farewell!

Im also going to voice my support, now, on some kind of remembrance, either in the upcoming books and/or putting his name on an official event. 

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

Saw a post in the order of the stick forums...rip wrecan. I hoped it wasn't the same person, but it is. He was the best poster on this board and i'm sure he was an awesome guy. We'll miss him.
Wrecan was the best of us, I think. Everything will seem a little dimmer here for a while.
Here is reality, read and understand: Rangers aren't dull or underpowered, in any edition. Fighters aren't dull or underpowered, in any edition. Casters aren't "god mode" or overpowered, in any edition. The tarrasque isn't broken. And you aren't voicing your opinion by claiming otherwise, you're just being a pain. Now, stop complaining.
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

Wrecan was the best of us, I think. Everything will seem a little dimmer here for a while.

It will. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

To wrecans family and friends,
I am sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and yours. He will be missed.
Condolences to all who knew him.  I merely knew his posts, and was impressed.  His input will be missed...I can't say much that hasn't been said here already.  I would like to throw my support toward any in-game memorial, especially the Lizardfolk God notion...
Wrecan was, quite possibly, the best of us.   A man with wisdom and fun, with balance and moderation.  His blogs were loved, his posts here insightful, creative, and moderate, and his leadership amongst us very evident.  He brought so much joy and happiness to us fellow roleplayers. 

Remember Mark Monack.  Remember Wrecan.  We owe him that much.

Well put. Thanks.
Though it has been painful to think about his passing over these days, it has been really uplifting to see the community come together. I hope we can all be inspired by him to work to improve the Community, keep it positive, work together, and help others.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Mark "Wrecan" Monack passed away April 21st, according to this blog post by his wife.

Wrecan was a pillar of this community from nearly the beginning, always helpful, always creative, always willing to speak his mind.  In recent months, he regaled us with D&D Next Q&A haikus and was a player in my Tour of the Editions play-by-post games.

He will be missed.

I cant believe it. I am so sorry to hear Wrecan passed away. I will miss him. He is such a vivid presence in this community. I am sorry for the loss for all of us.

When I saw the post regarding Wrecan's death tears came to my eyes, and I'm crying still as I write this. I did not know him at all, only his blogs and his insights which I looked forward to. Did I agree with him? Not always. Did I appreciate his thoughtfullness, his insights, his reasoning and his willingness to listen to others views? Absolutely yes! I've written to him several times throughout the years regarding about his writings, a blog I thought worth promoting and ideas I wanted his thoughts on. And I always found him to be kind, patient and thoughtful. I still have an email in my in-box on how to make a piece-work army when I wrote to him asking on specifics of the conversion. And I'm sure many others have very similar stories of a man who was generous with his time. I know that his promotion of others through his monthly Heroes of Blogging will be missed as it truly and very generously encouraged the community to promote and share not just their ideas, but to improve the game and the community as a whole. I can't imagine the loss to his family and their suffering right now, but I do know that all our lives were richer for him, and all our lives will be a bit dimmer without him. May all the wonderful memories not just of gaming, but of family times spent together be brought closer to them to comfort them in their loss.

smiles

I've never, ever been so sad and touched by the death of a person i had never met in life. Wrecan was without a doubt the single person in the community who motivated me the most in the hobby, and not only, always giving my blog posts visibility among his (purely altruistic) Heroes of Blogging series, and also two annual awards. I was hoping he would have joined at least as a consultant the design & development team, because he was so brilliant in his ideas that, with his additions, he truly created a better game than what the designers had.

However, my deepest thoughts and emotions are all for his family, a wife and children that counted on him living much more than this...
I will pray for you. The tears I'm crying now, for the first time ever for someone I have never met in person, are those of a sincere love for Wrecan, and sincere sadness for his family. May these tears empower my prayers, and may his family live a great life, with the presence that Mark will surely always continue to be among them.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

I'm mostly just a lurker here, but I just have to say Wrecan's words were always well worth reading. Sincere condolences to his family.
I am sorry for your loss. Wrecan was a great addition to our community and he will be missed.
My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"

Dungeons & Dragons, both game and community, is mourning the death of Mark/Wrecan, a very active and inventive player and DM. As LordArchaon said in his eulogy, I've never been so sad for the passing away of someone I didn't meet in person.

Heroes of Blogging, the Expert DungeonMaster Competition and more than 17,000 forum posts, every single one of them filled with ideas and positive vibes encouraging creative process are but the iceberg top of his legacy.

Wrecan est mort, vive Wrecan.

"No curse we can't reverse; no spell we can't break; no demon we can't exterminate; no plane we can't reach" - Motto of the Magnificent Order of the Planeswalkers, as said by the first time by Veritatis, its founder and the Grimmchester Brothers mentor

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Dammit.

He will be missed.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
You're in our thoughts and prayers, Wrecan & Family.
I will miss his posts.

My prayers and condolences to his wife and daughters...and, Jodie, anytime you you need DM advice, the community will be here for you.

My best wishes to his friends and family.
That is... unfortunate.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
To say he'll be missed is an understatment.

I've seen people disagree with him, but I've never seen him be disagreeable. I've never seen anyone have any animosity towards him either.

It took me a long time to type Wrecan rather than Werecan.

Totally, he was a class act. And yeah I always read it as Werecan as well. 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
One of the things as WotC moves forward with 5e is their struggle to meet many different playstyles.

I was VERY critical of Wrecan's hyper symmetrical aesthetic. That said when he thanked me for an idea on his Weapon Design forum I could not be more proud. Wrecan was the best of trying to understand how different playstyles work, and in a community whose opinions can so quickly turn to aggression, his blog posts were always polite, thoughtful, and measured.

I will definitely miss him. 
Condoleances to his family & friends.
Wrecan will hugely be missed!
R.I.P.
all condolences, etc.
>>< drow ><<
Sign In to post comments