Legends of YMTC

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reserved.
Round 1: Design a monocolored non-planeswalker mythic rare for a core set.
Placeholder unless I can't think of something better.

Tranquil-Soul Kitsune |
Creature - Fox Monk
Whenever a source deals damage to you or a planeswalker you control, you may draw that many cards.
"Just as the wind shapes the desert stones, so too will suffering shape your soul."
2/4
Graveless archdemon  
creature-demon 

Flying

~ cant leave the battlefeild.

4/5
I don't know what this thread is!

Child of Calamity
Creature - Dragon
Flying
As an additional cost to cast Child of Calamity, sacrifce two lands.
When Child of Calamity dies, each opponent sacrifices two lands.
Like the world, the dragon was born in fire.
Like the dragon, the world will die in fire.
6/5
Solstice Navigator
Creature - Spirit Cleric (M)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each creature in each player's graveyard.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, you gain 1 life for each Spirit creature you control.
"I will lead you from the grave to the true final resting place. Follow me if you so desire."
4/4

Im not sure if this is the final version, so this is might change.
Possible name change to Afterlife Navigator or Graveyard Guide
I also do not know what this thread is, but I assume that it is awesome.

Primal Sovereign
Creature - Elemental Beast (M)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a number of +1/+1 counters on each creature you control equal to that creature's power.
Whenever a creature you control dies, if it had any +1/+1 counters on it, put a green beast creature token onto the battlefield with power and toughness equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on that creature.
Beast within; beast without.
3/3

Mind Blown -
Sorcery
Exile all cards from target opponent's library except for the top seven.
Revered Archangel

Creature -- Angel (M)
Flying, lifelink
When Revered Archangel enters the battlefield, tap all creatures with power 2 or less.
Creatures with power 2 or less enter the battlefield tapped and don't untap during their controller's untap step.
4/4
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Goblin Massacre :2M::RM::RM:
Sorcery
Put 4 1/1 red goblin tokens with haste onto the battlefield. 
Creatures you control gain +X/+0 and double strike until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control.

40 or more damage for four mana?!

Soil Elemental
Creature - Elemenal
Whenever an opponent taps a land for mana, you may add to your mana pool.
"I've seen beings whose connection with mana were so deep that our mana bonds appeared laughable in comparison." - Nariman, Adventurer
4/4

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Momiji, Wandering Aescetic

Planeswalker-Momiji
+1: For each card in your hand, put a 1/1 colorless Spirit token onto the battlefield.
-2: Tap any number of creatures you control. Draw that many cards.
-9: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each card in your hand."
[4]

durrhurr
Abavia, Mother of Patience
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Creatures your opponent's control have defender (Creatures with defender can't attack.)
To behold her is to know love, to love her is to know peace.
4/4

Idea #2:

Damsel In Distress
Creature -  Human Princess
Damsel In Distress enters the battlefield under target opponent's control.
Whenever you are dealt combat damage, the attacking player gains control of Damsel In Distress, then searches their library for a card and puts it into their hand. That player shuffles their library afterwards.
Save my daughter and I will reward you with your heart's desire.
1/1

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Creatures your opponent's control have defender (Creatures with defender can't attack.)
4/4

Sup?

End of Worlds
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices two permanents, discards two cards and loses 2 life.
Infernal Eruptor
Creature: Elemental
Haste, Trample
Whenever a land is tapped for mana destroy that land. It's controller takes one damage for each land destroyed this way.
It wanders the most fertile areas reducing them to slag covered wastelands.
7/4
Revered Archangel

Creature -- Angel (M)
Flying, lifelink
When Revered Archangel enters the battlefield, tap all creatures with power 2 or less.
Creatures with power 2 or less enter the battlefield tapped and don't untap during their controller's untap step.
4/4

this feels more black than it should

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Mother of All
Legendary Creature - Elemental Incarnation
You may play creature cards from your hand as though they are land cards. 
She provides and accomodates no matter what you are.
7/7

Note: Cast triggers don't trigger (e.g. emrakul) coz' you are not casting it
They can't be countered coz' they don't use the stack.
You can do it once a turn in place of your land-drop.

Can someone help me find a way to say all that in a brief way fitted into its reminder text?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
It's just a trivial title—it means nothing.

To be the greatest or the legend has always been determined in ages everafter—and defined by the undeniable greatness of that person's acts. To be the greatest is to reject such a title to being with, it correlates with never putting yourself above others—for a truly great person sets others beside him or herself as equals, in friendship. That's what true greatness is—it correlates with kindness, not arrogance. Greatness in preformance, within all the realms of human interaction—social, personal, and professional.

Envoy to Carnage :4M:
Creature — Avatar
Whenever a creature attacks, it must attack a creature the defending player controls if able.
Whnever Envoy to Carnage becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may have it deal damage to that player equal to its power. 
He is the end of days—the dawn of a dark age.
9/5

Rather than go the traditional path and design something that strongly compliments some kind of theme, I decided to go with something more open and universal. Given that this is for a "Core Set", most logical thing to do is to keep it all as open as possible. Working around themes is fine, but that kind of content is best saved for those project themselves. Keeping things open in Core Sets plays out smoothly right away without having any dependencies to meet, and it helps to bridge the gap between blocks—working well with the block then passing, and its collective of content. 

Being that a Mythic was called for, the next move I made was going against tradition again. Rather than make something, powerful and cheap—I pushed past the 5~6 range and went full-on into a seven mana design. It's powerful still, making sure it would still be very nice hook up for the cost. These days, players need incentive to play content with a higher casting cost—so I've just done my best to supply that. Whereas normally you may be like—"merp, naaah", it can be like—"meeeh, okay", and they give it a try. At seven mana, it's got some nostalgic fire to it—seeing as how seven was the golden number in the old days for a prominent powerhouse. Given how this is a "Core Set", I think that nostalgic fire burns brightest here—an accent that adds a very welcomed special something to it. 

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

To be the greatest or the legend has always been determined in ages everafter—and defined by the undeniable greatness of that person's acts. To be the greatest is to reject such a title to being with, it correlates with never putting yourself above others—for a truly great person sets others beside him or herself as equals, in friendship.

Says the person who names all of his threads "the best of the best."

Honestly all your posts read like Ks.
If this were Legends of the Hidden Temple themed YMTC, I'd die happy.
Wurm Uprising -
Sorcery
Put three 5/5 green Wurm creature tokens with trample onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control the least number of creatures, you may return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Mountainback Goliath
Creature - Mountain Giant
(~ is not a land. Mountains have : Add to your mana pool.)
Trample
Sometimes a mountain is a mountain. Sometimes it isn't.
6/4
4/4

Sup?

Man! I actually used Gatherer this time.  Oddly enough, a search for defender didn't bring it up.  How do people keep all these cards in their heads!

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Vorth, Primal Savage

Legendary Creature - Human Beserker (M)

During extra turns or additional combat phases, creatures have doublestrike.
: Untap all creatures you control. There is an additional combat phase after this phase. Activate this ability only during your combat phase and only once per turn.

"Battles will always end with blood. I shall make sure it is yours."

4/4
Scoria Hellrider :4M::RM::RM::RM:
Creature-Elemental
Haste
Scoria Hellrider gains +1/+1 for each creature on target player's battlefield.
Whenever Scoria Hellrider deals damage to a player, that player reveals their hand, then loses life equal to the number of cards in their hand.
The magma that birthed this Hellish creature had to melt itself into the creature for her to not die.
                           6/5

IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/wallpapers/HavengulLich_DKA_Facebook_Wallpaper.jpg)
Infinity Hydra

Creature-Hydra
Whenever Infinity Hydra deals damage to a player, draw that many cards.
8/8 
If this were legends of the hidden temple I'd kill you happy too. Wait...
Expanded Mind
Enchantment
Skip your draw step.
You may look at and play the top three cards of your library. (You may look at them at any time.)
OK, a core set mythic. It seems like those mostly express the core principles of their color in a large, impressive, exciting way: green gets giant creatures, red sets the world on fire, blue learns everything. So far, black just gets demons and vampires. How boring!

Mass Unburial
Sorcery

Put all creature cards in all graveyards onto the battlefield under your control. They gain haste. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I'll likely start closing off the round and grading in 48-72 hours depending on the flow of entries.
4/4

Sup?

Man! I actually used Gatherer this time.  Oddly enough, a search for defender didn't bring it up.  How do people keep all these cards in their heads!

Mis-spent "youth". Or maybe because I actually have a deck that has a Blazing Archon in it. If you're a bit of a Timmy, it's hard not to notice a card that powerful.

Nova Angel
Creature - Angel 
Flying, Vigilance
When Nova Angel enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures you don't control.
5/9 

Level 1 Judge

Nova Angel
Creature - Angel 
Flying, Vigilance
When Nova Angel enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures you don't control.
5/9 

If you cast it from your hand 

Catastrophe Colossus
Creature - Giant(M)
Trample
When Catastrophe Colossus enters the battlefield, destroy up to five target lands and it deals 3 damage to each creature without flying.
It awoke and disaster was it's greeting.
6/6 
"Winter is usually never this cold... or this dangerous. Two of the last patrols I have sent into the northern woods have disappeared without a trace, and the men are speaking of a monster. I will personally lead the next patrol along with an extra dispatchment of riders to silence the rumors. My lieutenant, Elek Sar, will be in command of the Fort while I am gone." -Captain Piran, 19th day of Winter.

"After a few days of easy riding, we are approaching the heart of the woods. The snow is weighing down branches and the horses are advancing only slowly. Making camp in the evening takes hours, and lighting the campfires is a challenging necessity. We have suffered a few minor frostbites, but nothing worse. Silence has taken the place of the talk of monsters, and I, too, feel a certain grim omen in the air itself. Tonight, we make camp on a cleared hill which should grant us a good vantage spot and easier work clearing the snow away."
-Captain Piran, 23rd day of Winter.

"Yesterday, a few straggling riders returned from the northern woods, led by none other than my superior, Captain Piran, though he was in no condition to resume command. He and the other survivors spoke of a monster in the snow, apparently single-handedly responsible for the disappearance of the two earlier patrols, as well as the majority of this third one. I made sure to get the survivors to a barracks where they can be cared for - and where the troops cannot hear their grim tales. If what they are saying is true, this monster alone has slain more than a hundred riders, armed and mounted."
-Lieutenant Elek Sar, Direct Letter to the Throne, 28th day of Winter.

"In my sleep, I still see the monster before my eyes. Large - larger than any living thing I have ever seen, larger possibly than most buildings of the Fort - and looming over my soldiers as were they of no more bother to it than the snowflakes falling from the sky. The sounds of flesh and armor being torn asunder, the smell of fresh carnage and something... Profane. The way the land itself seemed to feel its presence as a torture, and - this is what is cursing me: its gaze, so full of an otherworldly malice, as it advanced up the hill, mowing my soldiers aside like straws of wheat. Still now, I feel its presence. It is out there, coming ever close. It will not let its victims escape. We are all doomed."
-Captain Piran, 30th day of Winter.

"This morning, my soldiers found the Captain and several of the other survivors dead in their quarters, apparently all suicides. I cannot help but fathom what horror drove them to this. They have been given proper burials, though discreetly and while most of the troops were out exercising. Morale is dropping rapidly and I can sense the winter closing in on our Fort. Send as many troops as you can spare.
-Lieutenant Elek Sar, Direct Letter to the Throne, 31st day of Winter. 

Terror of the North
Terror of the North
Creature - Horror (MR)
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player sacrifices a permanent. If a land is sacrificed this way, its controller loses 5 life.
"The land outside our walls is wailing as if alive and in pain at night. The monster is coming for us." -Elek Sar, Guard Lieutenant. Final correspondence with the Throne.
5/5
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Wardblade Paladin |
Creature - Human Knight

Protection from non-white (This permanent can’t be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything non-white.)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a non-white creature, exile it.

2/2
Cerebral Deluge
Enchantment (MR)
When ~ enters the battlefield choose any - untap, upkeep, main, or combat.
Whenever you would take a chosen step or phase, skip it and draw a card.

Baelnorn Ritualist
Creature - Zombie Elf Wizard
Baelnorn Ritualist is indestructible.
Whenever Baelnon Ritualist enters the battlefield or attacks, you may put a creature card from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield, then sacrifice that creature.
5/5 

Cerebral Deluge
Enchantment (MR)
When ~ enters the battlefield choose any - untap, upkeep, main, or combat.
Whenever you would take a chosen step or phase, skip it and draw a card.

I choose upkeep. Glacial Chasam + multitudes of friends. Yes, Eon Hub exists, but it doesn't reward you for skipping a bad step for you.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.