Do PHB Wizards (Arcanists) lose Daily spells as they level?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do they? It makes no sense to why they would, they have a spell book feature. Can somone clarify this for me.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

'Must', no, but it usually happens.  The game gives you the opportunity at high levels to exchange lower-level spells for higher-level ones.  You don't have to make the exchange, but you can.
They swap daily powers just like every other class does. So when they get their 15th level daily, they would typically drop the two daily powers they took at 1st level.  The could then select any 2 daily powers from 1st to 15th level as the daily powers they've taken at 15th level, including both of the powers they just dropped.
They swap daily powers just like every other class does. So when they get their 15th level daily, they would typically drop the two daily powers they took at 1st level.  The could then select any 2 daily powers from 1st to 15th level as the daily powers they've taken at 15th level, including both of the powers they just dropped.

I have to say thats fairly dumb. I think I like the Essentials Mage more.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

As a trade off, I'm fairly certain Mages can only select from the encounter and daily powers listed in the mage class listing, while the Arcanist can choose any Wizard Encounter or daily power.

However, I'm not fully versed on the rules for mages so I could be wrong.

As a trade off, I'm fairly certain Mages can only select from the encounter and daily powers listed in the mage class listing, while the Arcanist can choose any Wizard Encounter or daily power.

However, I'm not fully versed on the rules for mages so I could be wrong.

That's wrong.  Mages get the same power selections as arcanists.
yeah mages get all the same choices as wizards.  However they can't prepare more powers than regular wizards.  They just have more utility because if at level 15 you want to use sleep, you still can since you never lost it from your spellbook.  You just keep adding and adding powers to it as you level.  I think the only real tradeoff is that you end up with 10 pages of powers and have to comb through the damn thing to find the ones you want.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

yeah mages get all the same choices as wizards.  However they can't prepare more powers than regular wizards.  They just have more utility because if at level 15 you want to use sleep, you still can since you never lost it from your spellbook.  You just keep adding and adding powers to it as you level.  I think the only real tradeoff is that you end up with 10 pages of powers and have to comb through the damn thing to find the ones you want.

Also rituals and different class features.
Ah ok, my mistake. I don't have HoFL so I was going off of the compendium entry which at each level says "Add 2 of the following powers..." and assumed it was restricted to those powers listed.  Seems like they could make the compendium entry a lot shorter if they didn't actually list any encounter or daily powers and said "Add 2 level 5 or lower daily wizard powers to your spell book" etc.
yeah but then people would point and say that it doesn't say mage powers so it wouldn't allow you to pick from both lists by RAW :p

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

yeah but then people would point and say that it doesn't say mage powers so it wouldn't allow you to pick from both lists by RAW :p

by RAW there are no Mage powers, there are only Wizard powers used by all of the Wizard subclasses.
that's a good thing I'm sure.