D&D Podcast: 2nd Edition

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Podcast
2nd Edition

By Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Jeremy Crawford, Steve Winter

In this episode, we look back at the creation of 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons—and who better to enlighten us than R&D's Steve Winter! We ask Steve to share his stories behind 2E's development, including what classes were selected, the philosophy of campaign settings, and the ankheg's mysterious name change.

Talk about this podcast here.

2nd Edition
Good Podcast . . .

I enjoyed my years of playing 2E. Interesting how it all took shape.

Looking forward to getting the new re-prints!

Any chance we'll ever see that campaign setting that was talked about during the Pocast?

( Good mountain top kingdoms above the clouds, cloud ships and evil and distruction below. )

Sounds great, I would buy this for sure.

I'm guessing it will never happen though . . .
I doubt we will see it. While I have yet to get the chance to listen to the podcast, WotC has always given me the impression that they are against all things 2e...

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I found it was interesting hearring Steve Winter on 2E development and editings as well as other members of R&D sharing their experience. 
One of the things I liked about 2E was all the great campaign settings . . .

It was good to hear how it all came about and what the process was like.

( Also that other people see that as a strength of 2E. )

I'd like to see D & D have a larger line of settings with the new edition.

I don't think that will happen. It seems we'll get more Forgotten Realms.

( I do enjoy the Forgotten Realms setting. ) 

It's too bad because I think more settings would allow D & D to reach more players.

I played in or ran D & D games from all the 2E settings . . .

( So many good ones, I liked Birthright the best Though. )

This helped keep the games all a little bit different and fresh.

No need for a new system, we just changed up the setting.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what D & D Next brings in terms of settings . . . 

Lots of great stuff in this podcast and I especially enjoyed hearing Steve Winter's memories on the process behind creating 2e. There was one topic in this podcast that was very conspicuous in its absence... the decision to reprint the "black" version of the 2e books as opposed to the original version. I thought for sure they would address this hot button issue but it never came up. Overall though, it was a great podcast and it inspired me to break-in my new 2e reprints just as fast as I can get a game organized (basically the time it takes to phone 5 players! there will be high demand to get in that game)
I finally got a chance to listen to this today, and thought it was a great show. On the topic of the classics vs. black-cover editions, I personally assumed this was due to the availability of the electronic formats for WotC, in that they probably had some levels of the old files available for the 95 versions and not the 89s. I was also happy to hear that these books will have some of the errata included. Hopefully we've seen the last of the 2e bashing by WotC...

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

I was also happy to hear that these books will have some of the errata included.

Yeah, this line made me really happy when I heard it. It's good to know that these reprints are now the definitive version of this great game. I'd love to see a list from WotC of what exactly those changes were. Anybody know where to find a list of 2e errata? 
Just picked up these books. My only complaint is that they didn't get the gold in the pages and the ribbon bookmark like the 1e reprints did. Otherwise, they look great! The green in the actual books is a bit darker when compared to the pics on the website.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

I also just got my 2E books in the mail. 

( One set for playing, One set for the collection. )

Very happy with them, just flipping throught the books brings back lots of good memories.

The green cover looks much better than I thought it would.

Well done WotC, keep up the good work.

Hope to see more re-prints . . .

The RC being my number one choice. 

Any chance we'll ever see that campaign setting that was talked about during the Pocast?

( Good mountain top kingdoms above the clouds, cloud ships and evil and distruction below. )

but... but... it's my homebrew campaign setting!

worldoftyrrah.blogspot.be

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

The green cover looks much better than I thought it would.

Yes, I have to agree. I was very worried at first when I saw the thumbnail image of these new covers but now that I have them in person they look really nice. Very classic design, timeless. It sure makes the "black" edition a whole lot more appealing.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the 2e reprint. The quality of manufacturing is very good. This book should last a long, long time. 
Sign In to post comments