Shazzeh's 36 Hour Contest #3

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! Last week I picked an awful time to do this and it sucked, so this week I'm thinking ahead and picking a time specifically so that I won't be busy and have to delay the grades a billion days when the contest ends.

Anyway, I was reading that other thread and someone brought up Teferi's Response, which is my favorite card ever because it is horribly designed. That's my inspiration here.

Make a card that hoses a specific deck or card that exists in some format. Don't make a boring card, and don't make a stupid card like Teferi's Response. Please tell me what your card is meant to bring down.

Contest ends on Saturday at 10 AM. (You have thirty-six hours.)

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Deny
Instant
Counter all spells and abilities target player controls. (Static abilities and mana abilities can't be countered this way.)
"If you don't know when to stop, then it falls on me to show you."

It counters a bunch of things so whatever. Storm, obviously. But there's also Cascade, Nettle Sentinel untap triggers, yageddit.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Obstinate Geezer |
Creature - Human

Players can't cast spells without paying their mana cost.
Players can't cast spells from outside of their hands.

Back in my day, we had to pay real money for our mana sources, and we liked it that way!

1/3
Let's play the "try to be clever" game...

Zakat, the Loathsome 
Legendary Creature -- Zombie Knight

First strike
Creature spells cost more to cast. 

In life and in death, few were willing to brave his presence.

2/1

Intended to screw with fast aggro -- not only do their guys cost extra now, but a two-drop 2-power first striker can keep many of them from attacking. And yes, it's a mirror of Thalia

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Tineo, First Response 
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Cleric
You control all triggered abilities.
No matter you are a judge, soldier or traveler, she heeds your call just the same.
1/2

i am not sure how broken this is. But if this were a real card, i'm sure every sideboard will have extra hate for her as she shuts down almost every standard deck lol.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Shazzeh'd --
Enchantment
Treat cards in graveyards as though they are copies of Shazzeh'd.
"At first, I thought it was an eclipse. Then I saw him, and was overtaken." -- Interview With Emrakul on the Occurence of Shazzeh, Myths of the Multiverse, Vol II.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Tineo, First Response 
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Cleric
No matter you are a judge, soldier or traveler, she heeds your call just the same.
1/2

i am not sure how broken this is. But if this were a real card, i'm sure every sideboard will have extra hate for her as she shuts down almost every standard deck lol.

Reckoner is wizard not soldier.

Traveler is soldier not nomad.

Wat do?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Reality Chamber
Artifact
If a permanent would enter the battlefield from exile, put it into its owners graveyard instead.
"There's no need to tamper with the Æther extensively to get the desired result, just altering the destination slightly is going to be good enough." - Tezzeret's Journal

I'm kinda sick of Restoration Angel

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Ætherspace Clock
Artifact
All tapped permanents have phasing.
It counts the hours lost to a world unseen.

THIS CARD HOSES DECKS THAT LIKE TO DO PRODUCTIVE THINGS LIKE TAP LANDS FOR MANA AND TAP CREATURES TO ATTACK.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
I've posted this before but I love it

Sidetrack
Instant
The next time a creature would enter the battlefield under an opponent’s control this turn, it enters the battlefield under your control instead. At the beginning of the next end step, its owner gains control of it.
It occurred to Byoog just how many things he had yet to smell, to ingest, to experience. Suddenly, the summons no longer seemed so urgent. 

Not sure if any format has a major deck with lots of ETB trigger creatures, but if there is, then yeah
Questionable wording ahoy!

Leyline of Modernity

Enchantment
If Leyline of Modernity is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
Whenever you could cast an instant and you have taken three or more turns this game, exile Leyline of Modernity.

Ey Burn, gg?

Impure Coal
Enchantment

When Impure Coal enters the battlefield, tap all Mountains.
Red monocolored spells cost more to cast.
Mountains cannot be sacrificed. 
Proselytism 
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost two or less and all creatures with the same name as that creature.
False Idol
Artifact
If an opponent would gain control of one or more of your permanents, they gain control of False Idol instead.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Inspired by an old Talisman card (Golden Statue).  I have to admit I'm not really up on current decks but I'm sure this hoses something somewhere.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Flipleswitch               
Creature - Ouphe
As long as Flipleswitch is on the battlefield all Elves are Ouphes.  (They are no longer Elves.)
Elves long believed themselves to share a common ancestor with the Ouphes.  The Flipleswitch enjoys convincing Elves that they are right.
1/1
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Sade, Ooze Operator  
Legendary Creature - Wizard

Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, put an X/X green Ooze creature token onto the battlefield, where X is the power of that creature.

Melts all your memories and change into gold.
His eyes are like angels but his heart is cold.

1/2 

Designed to hose the just-released Selesnya event deck.  Decided to make it power-of-that-creature oozes rather than copies so that the size of the new tokens keeps up with the actual size of the opposing tokens (if they entered play boosted by Instangible Virtue this keeps up; copy effects woudldn't.)

Also has fun with Thragtusk and Geist of Saint Traft and Kiki Jiki and Splinter Twin.

Circular Thinking

Enchantment

If a card would be sent to the graveyard from anywhere except the battlefield, instead put it on the bottom of its owner's library.

You think a little bit, and eventually your thought will blossom into many. You think a little more, and all your thoughts will come back to your original one. 
Revoke
Instant
Counter target spell and all spells with the same name as that spell, and untap X lands your opponent controls where X is the converted mana cost of that spell.

For storm. 
Arbiter of Restraint

Creature -- Vedalken Advisor (R)
Each player cannot cast more than three spells each turn.
"It is important to know your own limitations. And should you forget, it is my duty to remind you."
2/2

Mostly hoses Storm, but it also stops a lot of other weird combo decks.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Plea Censor
()()
Creature – Human Wizard
1/4
Protection from noncreatures
Each opponent can't draw more than one card each turn. 
"The luxury and excess of few can't stand in the way of national progress."

To hate on Sphinx's Revelation even more, plus Jaces everywhere. 
Flamebearer -
Creature - Goblin
Each player who cast a creature spell this turn can't gain life.
: Flamebearer gains intimidate until end of turn.
2/1

Anti-Thragtusk  
So yeah, fifteen minutes left. I'm going to start grading but feel free to submit still.

Calming Ward

Artifact
Triggered abilties don't trigger.

Hoses the way-too-many-ETB triggers that make up most creature decks, hoses Nettle Sentinel untaps
comments
Deny
Instant
Counter all spells and abilities target player controls. (Static abilities and mana abilities can't be countered this way.)
"If you don't know when to stop, then it falls on me to show you."

It counters a bunch of things so whatever. Storm, obviously. But there's also Cascade, Nettle Sentinel untap triggers, yageddit.

Yep. Storm hate.

I mean, it's basically Mindbreak Trap, so I'm not super excited about it, but including abilities does add some utility, like you said. And I like the "all" template way more than the "any number" template.

Flavor text is nice.

Obstinate Geezer |
Creature - Human

Players can't cast spells without paying their mana cost.
Players can't cast spells from outside of their hands.

Back in my day, we had to pay real money for our mana sources, and we liked it that way!

1/3

The joke flavor is kind of a shame, because I don't dislike this. I don't think it's been done before.

The other problem (aside from the flavor) is that it prevents a completely random complement of effects while letting others through. Like, Kaho, Minamo Historian doesn't work, because you cast the spells, but Green Sun's Zenith does work because you don't. Storm works, but cascade doesn't. Probably a more consistent approach would be to care about spells resolving or permanents entering the battlefield.

I don't know what's particularly red about this. Quality flavor could probably clear it up, but, you know. Obstinate Geezer.

Let's play the "try to be clever" game...

Zakat, the Loathsome
Legendary Creature -- Zombie Knight

First strike
Creature spells cost more to cast.

In life and in death, few were willing to brave his presence.

2/1

Intended to screw with fast aggro -- not only do their guys cost extra now, but a two-drop 2-power first striker can keep many of them from attacking. And yes, it's a mirror of Thalia.

The symmetry is actually interesting here. It creates some neat tension; without other creatures, a random two-drop is kind of underwhelming, but with other creatures it harms you just as much as your opponent. The effect is powerful enough that I think it'd be worth playing anyway, though. And there's some cool workarounds like Aether Vial or whatever.

Flavor text is cool. It justifies pretty well what would otherwise be kind of a weird thing for black to be doing.

Tineo, First Response
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Cleric
1/2

Hey, a squire that people might play! I like this a lot. Hoses a lot of different stuff without actually saying so. I don't have quite enough time to look at every triggered ability in every format but this might even have applications beyond standard.

I don't really get the flavor. She heeds your call, and therefore... steals your triggers? There's probably something cooler you could do.

Shazzeh'd --
Enchantment
Treat cards in graveyards as though they are copies of Shazzeh'd.
"At first, I thought it was an eclipse. Then I saw him, and was overtaken." -- Interview With Emrakul on the Occurence of Shazzeh, Myths of the Multiverse, Vol II.

I dunno, you chose some pretty difficult design space. It's hard to make meaningful graveyard hate when you can already remove a bunch of cards for literally free or get rid of the entire zone for two mana. Sometimes they make graveyard hate meaningful by adding additional effects, like Yixlid Jailer, but this just seems inefficient. On turn three, Dredge is already killing you.

I like the Johnny aspect more, though. There's a lot of stuff you can do with this. A creature might have been better because it'd be better hate and there's tons of cheap recursion like Unearth and Raise Dead. But even as an enchantment, it's adorable with stuff like Replenish.

Nice flavor text.

Reality Chamber
Artifact
If a permanent would enter the battlefield from exile, put it into its owners graveyard instead.
"There's no need to tamper with the Æther extensively to get the desired result, just altering the destination slightly is going to be good enough." - Tezzeret's Journal

I'm kinda sick of Restoration Angel

Neat. I don't think blink hosing has been done before, though I've seen it once or twice on YMtC. Decent flavor text, etc. etc., nothing wrong here.

If you wanted, you could have saved some text and broadened the effect a little by changing the first clause to "if a card would leave exile, ..." but that's a different card, so whatever.

Ætherspace Clock
Artifact
All tapped permanents have phasing.
It counts the hours lost to a world unseen.

THIS CARD HOSES DECKS THAT LIKE TO DO PRODUCTIVE THINGS LIKE TAP LANDS FOR MANA AND TAP CREATURES TO ATTACK.

Not so much of a hoser as it is a ridiculous prison card that prevents anyone from playing Magic, is it? I feel like this is way too dramatic for two mana. Everyone is basically only playing every other turn, but you still get the normal amount of cards so if you're playing a slow deck you don't care so much. Also, blockers can block every turn, so the aggressive player has kind of a hard time keeping up.

That's just my first impression (I clearly didn't playtest this enough!) but even if I'm wrong about the power level it still seems kind of insane and swingy.

Flavor's cool.

I've posted this before but I love it

Sidetrack
Instant
The next time a creature would enter the battlefield under an opponent’s control this turn, it enters the battlefield under your control instead. At the beginning of the next end step, its owner gains control of it.
It occurred to Byoog just how many things he had yet to smell, to ingest, to experience. Suddenly, the summons no longer seemed so urgent.

Not sure if any format has a major deck with lots of ETB trigger creatures, but if there is, then yeah

Hey, I've (sort of) designed this before!

First impression is that this seems kind of red. It's to Gather Specimens as Threaten is to Persuasion. The flavor text makes it seem even more red--it makes your opponents' creatures into aimless, impulsive sensation gorgers who disobey summons. So yeah, seems red.

Questionable wording ahoy!

Leyline of Modernity

Enchantment
If Leyline of Modernity is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
Whenever you could cast an instant and you have taken three or more turns this game, exile Leyline of Modernity.

Bleah. Leyline Mechanic on a one-drop feels wrong. I get that you're trying to deal with turn-zero wins but this feels like a super inelegant way to do so. It might as well just cost and have flash or something, because the only thing that would make the Leyline Mechanic actually behave differently is if the card is in the top two cards of your library but not your opening hand. That's pretty narrow.

I also don't like that it's just a dead card after turn three. It has basically no utility in Standard or Modern or any other format beyond eternal, because nobody wins the game in three turns.

Wouldn't it be better to make a normal leyline that cost and had vanishing 3 or something?

Ey Burn, gg?

Impure Coal
Enchantment

When Impure Coal enters the battlefield, tap all Mountains.
Red monocolored spells cost more to cast.
Mountains cannot be sacrificed.

This is pretty intensely weird. Why are black and white hosing red together? They're enemies of each other and black is an ally of red. It's just strange.

The ETB ability barely does anything, because if they were saving lands to cast burn at end of turn, they'll just cast it in response. Preventing mountains from being sacrificed is flavorful but oddly narrow. So the main thing is the mini-Chill, which is alright but nothing super-impressive. The "monocolored" requirement is unusual but I guess it'd make sense in a set where you want to push multicolor?

Pare it down to one or two things you really want it to do, and think about what each ability adds to the card. Make the simplest design that works.

Proselytism
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost two or less and all creatures with the same name as that creature.

Cool. Threads of Disloyalty says this is pretty fairly priced but I'm not sure how making it affect multiple creatures adds white to the cost. Like, the name sort of implies white, but mechanically I don't get it.

It bugs me that this isn't an Aura. Most of these effects leave some kind of visual reminder of why the creature is even yours, you know? There'd be no problem with just saying "you control enchanted creature and all creatures..." or whatever.

You didn't say what this is hosing but I'm going to guess tokens? In which case it's cool. I'm not a huge fan of cards that specifically interact with tokens or nontokens (because what does that even represent, flavorfully?) so it's cool to see Echoing Decay-type stuff that plays into tokens' unique traits, like having CMC 0 and all sharing names. I don't know if stealing tokens is the best way to hose them, since token decks tend to run pump or other stuff that lets them get more mileage than you, but with this card it's good enough.

I'm kind of concerned it'd be ridiculously swingy against normal decks, though? Like, imagine how devastating it would be if you got a weird draw and your opponent steals three guys at once. I mean, it wouldn't happen often, but there's not much coming back from that, you know?

False Idol
Artifact
If an opponent would gain control of one or more of your permanents, they gain control of False Idol instead.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Inspired by an old Talisman card.   I have to admit I'm not really up on current decks but I'm sure this hoses something somewhere.

Huh. I dunno if there's anything that steals permanents with such regularity that this would be worth the sideboard slots, but it's a strong enough hoser if that situation were to ever come up.

So let's say an opponent puts Persuasion on your dude. They gain control of this, but their Persuasion stays on your creature, and if you kill it, they still keep the Idol. Right? Most "take control" effects would work that way, and it's mildly unintuitive.

And it doesn't do anything, so you might as well sacrifice it. Them getting to hold onto the Idol is basically just flavor. Which is fine, but still.

Flipleswitch              
Creature - Ouphe
As long as Flipleswitch is on the battlefield all Elves are Ouphes.  (They are no longer Elves.)
Elves long believed themselves to share a common ancestor with the Ouphes.  The Flipleswitch enjoys convincing Elves that they are right.
1/1

Hah, this is an adorable way to hose tribal interactions. Just take the tribe away! Good thinking making this a creature (the card type elves are probably least good at dealing with) and making it green (the color that most needs a way to deal with multiple creatures). Very clever design.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the name; either it's a joke, or it's a very strange invented word. When I glanced over the card when you first submitted, I was going to comment that the flavor didn't make sense. But the text you wrote is actually pretty good.

Unimportant templating concerns: "As long as ~ is on the battlefield" is never necessary except for clarity because that's where all abilities of permanents function unless they say otherwise. So you could just say "all Elves are Ouphes," or, to be fancy, "all Elf cards not on the battlefield, Elf spells, and Elves are Ouphes." In the specific case of Elves I don't think the additional breadth does anything important that the more elegant version doesn't. But whatever. Cool card!

Sade, Ooze Operator 
Legendary Creature - Wizard

Whenever a creature token enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, put an X/X green Ooze creature token onto the battlefield, where X is the power of that creature.

Melts all your memories and change into gold.
His eyes are like angels but his heart is cold.
1/2

Designed to hose the just-released Selesnya event deck.  Decided to make it power-of-that-creature oozes rather than copies so that the size of the new tokens keeps up with the actual size of the opposing tokens (if they entered play boosted by Instangible Virtue this keeps up; copy effects woudldn't.)

Also has fun with Thragtusk and Geist of Saint Traft and Kiki Jiki and Splinter Twin.

Neat. Token hosers are done all the time but copying the tokens for yourself is a nice variation. Good thinking on the "not copying" thing.

The notion of oozes having an "operator" raises all sorts of questions. And the little poem is neat but I don't get the relevance?

He could probably stand to be a bit stronger. Maybe not a bear, but at least a grey ogre or a squire? Maybe a 1/1 for one? You really want to get him down early before they already have a bunch of tokens or else he isn't doing you much good. And I don't think it's such a powerful ability that the body has to be that bad.

Circular Thinking

Enchantment

If a card would be sent to the graveyard from anywhere except the battlefield, instead put it on the bottom of its owner's library.

You think a little bit, and eventually your thought will blossom into many. You think a little more, and all your thoughts will come back to your original one.

I dunno, the flavor text is nice, but Wheel of Sun and Moon is sort of the same thing, right down to the cost. It's mostly just different in the symmetry and the battlefield exemption, but I really don't think it makes a big impact. It's just a more splashable version of the same thing.

Revoke
Instant
Counter target spell and all spells with the same name as that spell, and untap X lands your opponent controls where X is the converted mana cost of that spell.

For storm.

Yep, this card.

I kind of liked the "exile target spell" version--between that and the untapping lands, you could have written some great flavor about undoing the casting of the spell. But that wouldn't have really fit this contest, so I see why you changed it.

Again, it's basically Mindbreak Trap so I'm not super excited, but this one is a little more different than Mown's. Untapping lands rather than adding the mana back is cute, because decks in eternal formats will probably be playing more expensive spells than they have lands to cast. I dunno if that was intentional but that's sort of a hoser on its own.

Power level's probably fine. I see you really wanted it to not be strictly worse than Counterspell, but it probably isn't overpowered compared to Dissipate or whatever the new baseline is so that's fine by me.

Arbiter of Restraint

Creature -- Vedalken Advisor (R)
Each player cannot cast more than three spells each turn.
"It is important to know your own limitations. And should you forget, it is my duty to remind you."
2/2

Mostly hoses Storm, but it also stops a lot of other weird combo decks.

Hm. I like this, but I also liked it when it was Ethersworn Canonist. This doesn't have the artifact exemption (which usually is an upside, because how many combo decks only cast artifacts?) and it doesn't stop them so soon (unless they're playing that weird artifact-only combo deck). It's a bit less vulnerable than the Canonist, but it nonetheless seems pretty weak when you can compare it so directly to another card.

I totally love the flavor text, though. It's better by a mile, although it's very similar to Mown's.

Plea Censor
()()
Creature – Human Wizard
1/4
Protection from noncreatures
Each opponent can't draw more than one card each turn.
"The luxury and excess of few can't stand in the way of national progress."

To hate on Sphinx's Revelation even more, plus Jaces everywhere.

Cool. Protection from noncreature seems kind of green, at least to me, and not very white at all, but I dunno. Shroud colors seem right for that, you know? And the creature color would love a creature that's unanswerable except by bigger bodies.

Not a terrible Jace hoser, I guess. It doesn't seem like a very effective threat, but the anti-draw ability isn't bad utility.

Irrelevant to the various Jaces, but it seems wrong to me that your opponent can still draw an extra card as long as they do it during someone else's turn. Like, Think Twice straight up doesn't care at all about this. Seems like a kind of large omission since so much draw happens at instant speed.

Flamebearer -
Creature - Goblin
Each player who cast a creature spell this turn can't gain life.
: Flamebearer gains intimidate until end of turn.
2/1

Anti-Thragtusk 

I dunno, the first ability is kind of unsubtle. It doesn't do very much against any other card that people play, because if you're going to gain life you'll just do it before you cast your creature spells or during your opponent's turn. It's like a very mild version of Teferi's Response syndrome.

The card definitely has a home, though. Red wants to hose Thragtusk for sure, and this doesn't do a bad job of that for a fairly on-curve creature. I like that the second ability gives you some reach against big dudes like Thragtusk, and also sort of adds to the flavor despite the lack of text and the completely random first ability.

Calming Ward

Artifact
Triggered abilties don't trigger.

Hoses the way-too-many-ETB triggers that make up most creature decks, hoses Nettle Sentinel untaps

Dunno, it strikes me as sort of a cross between theatog's card and Torpor Orb. I mean, it's cooler than Torpor Orb, because being stupidly specific is what makes Teferi's Response so awful. But it's pretty similar nonetheless.

I would have loved to see flavor. This looks pretty bare; there's literally four words of rules text, not even a full line, and you just completely missed the opportunity to write an essay in italics.

I had literally two cards left before I had to leave for work. Hours later, here you go.

People also play Cathedral Sanctifier and Centaur Healer. In other formats you sometimes see OBstinate Baloth, Loxodon HierarchPelakka Wurm etc. Creature + life is a very popular combination, Thraggy is just the strongest example of that right now. It also works when someone Resto's their Thragtusk.
Wow I totally forgot wheel of sun and moon existed. /sigh
comments
The notion of oozes having an "operator" raises all sorts of questions. And the little poem is neat but I don't get the relevance?

comments
"Smooth Operator" was a 1980's pop hit by Sade.  This card is, in large part, a parody of that, and the quote is a lyric quote from that song.
Oops

winner
POSValkir1
Congrats!

If you wanted, you could have saved some text and broadened the effect a little by changing the first clause to "if a card would leave exile, ..." but that's a different card, so whatever.

I really don't like hate cards that have collateral damage, I prefer those that are focused (narrow) but intensified. I was already kinda weary that my card also affected Oblivion Ring, Journey to Nowhere, etc. and the wording you propose would even randomly hose stuff like Epic Experiment which I'm not a huge fan of. Nevermind, my bad :|

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Hooray!  Glad you enjoyed it.

The name was just a weird word that popped into my head.  My design process literally went:
Show

1) Flipleswitch
2) Thats a weird word.
3) Elves need hosing
4) Flipleswitch sounds like some weird prank/prankster
5) Brownies prank stuff
6) I think mtg calls brownies ouphes
7) Google ouphe
8) Yeah, that makes sense.

Good call on not needing "on the battlefield", don't know what I was thinking there...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Huh. When I made a thread about that effect, I was like "I feel like maybe this could even be red" and everyone (except ChaosLight) was all "NO NO NO IT'S BLUE"