Help with creating a Ranger: is melee/archery viable?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all!

I'm interested in creating a Drow Ranger, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I know that dual-wielding rangers can pump out godly amounts of damage, but I'm more interested in playing a character that has a marksmen/Legolas-esque theme to them, and I really want to avoid the inevitable Drizzt Do'Urden comparisons that will arise if I'm playing a dual-wielding Drow ranger. 

I guess what my question comes down to is, should I build this character purely around archery - potentially sacrificing its competency as a striker later on - or make him melee/archer hybrid. If so, how, and is that viable? 

Your thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, o' sage masters of the Char Op Board. 
Being an Archer ranger is definitely viable, insofar as being both melee/archery, thats more a matter of refluffing, for example

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Shoot to thrill is one of, if not the best archer ranger builds and it often likes standing right next to the enemy its shooting. 
keep in mind though that the build was made years ago and it might not be accurate to call it the best archer ranger build.  But it's a very good chassis to start with.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Add a theme. Boom its pretty much the best archer build.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
true, and I'm not  nearly the optimizer many people on this board are, however what changes would you make to it other than retraining weapon focus into icy heart?
true, and I'm not  nearly the optimizer many people on this board are, however what changes would you make to it other than retraining weapon focus into icy heart?

Well, if you're playing Drow, then the feats taken to grab Snap Shot (the rogue multiclass, Treetop Sniper, and the power swap feat) aren't usable, and you'll want to find something to do with them.

Also, I'd imagine that Superior Will (which isn't in Shoot to Thrill's list of feats) is something you'd want. 
@Erachima: With STR a secondary, is this what you have in mind for stats: STR 16 DEX 18 WIS 15? I'm assuming that your ranged weapon is the dagger? 

Also, I'd imagine that Superior Will (which isn't in Shoot to Thrill's list of feats) is something you'd want.

What would you suggest taking out to fit in Superior Will, in the Shoot to Thrill build?

If the only reason you're considering melee options is to keep your DPR as high as you can while still being an archer, ignore melee options and be a dedicated archer.  You'll deal better DPR by focusing all of your build resources on ranged damage than you will by diverting build resources into melee.

You want to be a marksman.  Go focus on being a marksman.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
When people say that melee rangers are better than archer rangers, it's kind of like saying that Coca-cola is better than Pepsi; it's true, but they're essentially the same thing, and people who prefer Pepsi aren't really wrong.
Yes, yes they are. Pepsi is nothing like coke.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Yes, yes they are. Pepsi is nothing like coke.

QFT.
Yeah, Pepsi doesn't taste like soap.

Both are good for cleaning battery terminals though.
I like both drinks, I just in no way view them as interchangeable. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Pepsi is inferior due to less minors.

coke self-inflicts more acid damage..... 
Coke and Pepsi just have more support.  Dr. Pepper would clearly be top if it had the kind of feat selection Coke gets.
Manticore's Fury is an easy +2/4/6 untyped damage for using something like Throw and Stab.  And you can grab the Midnight Blade Student feat to target Reflex instead of AC in Heroic if T&S is going to really be your bread and butter.

Throw and Stab is not focused damage like Twin Strike, but just take both and toss out T&S for fun.  It can also be quite useful for positioning.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Sign In to post comments