Help with creating a Ranger: is melee/archery viable?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all; I'm interested in creating a Drow Ranger, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I know that dual-wielding rangers can pump out godly amounts of damage, but I'm more interested in playing a character that has a marksmen/Legolas-esque theme to them, and I really want to avoid the inevitable Drizzt Do'Urden comparisons that will arise if I'm playing a dual-wielding Drow ranger.

I guess what my question comes down to is, should I build this character purely around archery - potentially sacrificing its competency as a striker later on - or make him melee/archer hybrid. If so, how, and is that viable? 

Your thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated ^^; 
Doesn't seem like it would be hard. Lots of powers work with both ranged and melee powers. Of course, since the Ranger was an early class, all its melee attacks are Strength based and all its ranged attacks are Dex based, even when using heavy thrown weapons. You can easily have 16 in each, which I consider plenty viable, but if you want the Expertise and Focus feats (which I don't think are necessary to be "viable") you'll need to take extra feats, or choose a weapon family that has throwable options.

In short, it should be viable, but probably not top of the heap. Talk to the Character Optimization board.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Doesn't seem like it would be hard. Lots of powers work with both ranged and melee powers. Of course, since the Ranger was an early class, all its melee attacks are Strength based and all its ranged attacks are Dex based, even when using heavy thrown weapons. You can easily have 16 in each, which I consider plenty viable, but if you want the Expertise and Focus feats (which I don't think are necessary to be "viable") you'll need to take extra feats, or choose a weapon family that has throwable options.

In short, it should be viable, but probably not top of the heap. Talk to the Character Optimization board.

Thanks, I'll repost the thread over there and see what they say. 
Pure archer ranger is also capable of pumping out godly amounts of damage.  Have no fear that you'd be unduly limiting yourself by going this route.

Trying to hybrid gets awkward because there are a lot of feats exclusive to each style, and you lose out on some excellent Wis-based riders.  I'd recommend building purely around archery.

If you're interested in general Ranger optimization advice, community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758..." title="community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...">this link will take you to the handbook for the class.
The only alternative I can suggest, is as a Drow, get a Drow Long Knife with the racial feat training, and maybe go Marauder Ranger.

Not super OP, but still fun.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
The other thing is that as of MP2, there are a bunch of Ranger powers (the list gets longer if you're going light blade and plan to pick up the Midnight Blade Marauder feat) that are melee and key off of Dex, so you can pick up some of these and mix them in with ranged attacks for a serviceable Dex/Wis build.  You can go for the Hunter fighting style, enabling you to freely swap weapons between melee and ranged weapons.

Here's a character I made a little while ago that goes this route.  She's got a fullblade and a dagger (flavoured as Khanda and Chakram, respectively, to give the feel of an Indian warrior):  dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37708225/Zak...
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
Where's Midnight Blade Marauder from? It's right on the tip of my to the bit I can't remember for the life of me.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Tip of my tongue* **** auto-correct.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
it's from Martial Power 2, but you need Midnight Blade Student as a prerequisite
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
What about using a double-weapon, like a quarterstaff or two-bladed sword? Being a single object/weapon, it would be somewhat less immediately Drizz't-like. I liked the Drizz't books okay, but he always struck me as a little TOO modern-day politically correct sensibilities. Not that Drizz't's philosophies are wrong, but they often seemed a little too preachy and, frankly, droll. To be fair, I haven't read the whole series, but that was the impression I got from the series.

Maybe you could differentiate by playing your drow a little less anti-drow philosophy and more brain-washed by drow mentality. That would give you an opportunity to role-play the complexities of culture shock on a more sophisticated level, making for a more three-dimensional character.

Dual-wield hammers is an other option that is less Drizz't-like. If you name them, avoid 'Twinkle' and 'Icingdeath' and opt for something more visceral, something like 'Smile-Wrecker' and 'Throat-crushing-doom' or 'Inquisition' and 'Rebuttal'.

Or go all archery with ya bad self.

Maybe be that guy that trains in every weapon style imaginable. Pick up an exotic weapon here, dual-wielding from the class, archery style from the feats, maybe take a level as monk or ninja (or both), and add a smattering of magic as well... Druidic magic and dual-wield flame swords, perhaps, lol.

Maybe you might think about a mounted drow ranger. Imagine the fear if you pick an alternate companion and get a large spider to ride. It sounds like a viable substitute to me. Drider, anyone?
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Archery ranger is fine, go for it.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Remember this: rangers have always been intended to be stealthy scout/fighters, not necessarily mass-damage killing machines. The strength of this class is in being sneakier than regular fighters, tougher than thief/rogue-types, and being able to gather information (tracking, search, listen, etc.) He finds the best place for an ambush for his party, then helps everyone hide until the enemy gets close. He helps them get food and water for free. He knows how to fight and can do respectable damage, but combat is not his only reason for being.
  Unless you need to go into heavy optimization for some reason (Lair Assault or equivalent) then the hybrid Str/Dex approach is perfectly viable, especially since there are now a number of ways to quickly swap weapons (the Master at Arms feat covers this and also gives you your Expertise bonus for all weapon attacks, effectively solving two problems at once). True, your Wis-based riders won't be as strong, but you can cover some of the support abilities through Theme selection and the Str/Dex combination will give you solid defenses and physical skill support.
Remember this: rangers have always been intended to be stealthy scout/fighters, not necessarily mass-damage killing machines.

You clearly don't have much experience with 4e.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I have never, and no intention of ever, playing 4th edition, exactly because of what I see people on here saying about it. Absolutely everything looks to be aimed at pure combat power, like a video game, and I don't remember anyone ever commenting on role-playing a character. Literally, I have never seen a post from someone talking about the roleplaying aspect of D&D when they comment on 4th edition, only things like "how do I max out my combat bonuses?"
I have never, and no intention of ever, playing 4th edition, exactly because of what I see people on here saying about it. Absolutely everything looks to be aimed at pure combat power, like a video game, and I don't remember anyone ever commenting on role-playing a character. Literally, I have never seen a post from someone talking about the roleplaying aspect of D&D when they comment on 4th edition, only things like "how do I max out my combat bonuses?"

That's because roleplaying is edition and game independent. Having any character concept be a viable contribution to combat at all levels is particular to 4th Edition. And every edition has optimizers.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

You're missing out.

4E is, at its core, a team-based minis wargame that allows as much (or as little) RPG as you want to be wrapped around it.

This is a major departure from all previous D&D versions, which were team-based minis wargames that actively hampered RPG elements by being a long list of Things That Don't Really Matter, That Your Character Can't Do For Stupid Reasons.

4E provides mechanics for adventuring and combat because you *need* mechanics for adventuring and combat in an RPG about heroic adventurers.  It does not provide mechanics for shopkeeping because shopkeeping is not something heroic adventurers do.  As such, it neither punishes PCs for having a day job nor prevents PCs for being real people, a dramatic advance that no previous (or subsequent, given the previews of D&D5 so far) version of D&D can match.   And that every competent RPG figured out sometime in 1982 or so.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

If it helps, the 4e Character Development thead (here) is bigger than the Previous Editions Character Development thread (there isn't one).

Founder and figurehead of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, add mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.
Sign In to post comments