Need Ideas and Suggestions for Campaign

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So far in my upcoming campaign, I have my players starting off on the continent of Dragvarr. Dragvarr is a very nordic style of culture. The kingdom that is ruleing Dragvarr is starting to revolt against the Tyrant king. Their are Three major and Two lesser powers looking to overthrow the king and take Dragvarr as their own. While that is happening, A huge orc army is also fighting the Kingdom. There is also giants starting to form a army as well. The elven race in my world are slaves, and sometime later in the campaign elves from an undiscoverd land mass will come and attempt to free the elves from their slave bonds.

So now that you have some knowlefge of whats going on, I need to ask you a question. WHAT SHOULD THE CAMPAIGN BE? 

I have a few ideas, but its always good to get oppinions and suggestions.

• PC's were hired called upon by a lord to investigate what the rival factions are doing (I dont know how the PC's would do this, please offer some suggestions)

• PC's start off in a town and decides what they want to do. (I know that one PC will want to take one of the castles as their own)

• PC's are summoned by one of the revolting factions for assistance against the war. 

• PC's are at a tavern after a succesful adventure, they eat drink and relax. When they wake up they are tied down, face down with blind folds. (Being kidnapped for an orginization that is related to the Black Network. 

Thanks for reading! Please post suggestions and opinions! 

Happy Adventuring!
-CaNMaN 
Have you tried asking your players what they want to do?
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/

The thing is, me and the group I play with are fairly new. We haven't had much experience, and the group really dosent know what quests they like going through.

The thing is, me and the group I play with are fairly new. We haven't had much experience, and the group really dosent know what quests they like going through.

You have a handful of good ideas. Brainstorm with them around those.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Every wheel should always turn. If you throw me the hook about giants raising an army and I pass it up, the next hook regarding that should be advanced from the first mention "Giants have built a small army and have taken Town X, and might be growing in power". Make these factions get stronger over time, or even have one take a nosedive getting overthrown by another.

As for your 4 intro plots, all 4 are viable to be honest, and I enjoy giving each player a different starting point, and working them into the moment where they find their team. Just try to remember to have the PC's actions shape the events in the world. No matter what the PC's choose to do, someone will hear that it happened and react to it. Sometimes that will be bad and other times that will be good.

Until the players "Buy In" to a few NPC's, hooks and other things, you shouldn't overthink it. This leads to the subconscious desire to actualize those things, making you feel entitled to make it work just because you thought it up. Let things happen naturally, let the discourse of the players effect the next move.

There are always people from every faction looking for strong heroes, paying their scouts money to keep them up to date. Scouts might not know every detail about the PC's but they should be able to figure out what happened the next town over, "Gee boss, why did the slave guys to the south stop buying slaves, why did the weapon shipments not come, why did I hear about 800 people massacred, why did I hear about some disaster?

You don't need to spend a million hours detailing these things, just ask about how your world reacted to Event X. A good noblemen might have funded an operation he thought was being run by a Church of Pelor but was really a slave labor camp dressed as a Church of Pelor to lure in the vulnerable and homeless. Now his reputation is smeared and he wants to restore it.

Good luck with your game, sounds like you put about the right amount of thought into it; I would spend less time trying to prepare "rails" to put the player on, and more time developing "sand" the players can build things with through their actions. Any "NPC" they save should advance in society, any quest they complete should add to the prestige of their names.

Within; Without.