flavor question (but kind of general)

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
I might be over-thinking this but I wanted a group consensus.

Ok, when you play MtG you are supposed to be a Planeswalker and whatever set we're in is the plane we're walking, yea? Your deck is supposed to be your mind, which contains all the spells you've "learned" from walking the planes. Now, I understand that spells like Murder in this context mean that you "know" a kill spell that you cast. Planeswalker are like your allies that follow you around the multiverse. What about creatures though? I mean, when I cast Olivia Voldaren am I summoning her from Innistrad to help me, is she just supposed to be my buddy that follows me around (in my deck/mind) because I'm a Walker, or is it more like you're manifesting a copy of that creature? Let's simplify. Typhoid Rats is just a rat. So on Innistrad, did we as planeswalkers encounter a rat with deathtouch and be like "I can make that out of thin air cuz I'm an awesome Planeswalker" and then forever more be able to manifest one on any plane of existence. I know this is a pretty superfluous question and usually I'm not much for flavor of stuff but I found myself wondering about this over coffee this morning. Any thoughts?

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

We are all Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite.
We have this conversation a lot. Brady( ) and some other staff think either approach causes problems, so there is no offical answer.

I'm of the camp that you summon a replica of the creature you knew unless you choose otherwise.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Dude, Spoilers.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Dude, Spoilers.

There were no spoilers in my post, unless you are concerned about spoiling a popular video game character's name or something.

I was joking, sorry
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I was joking, sorry

It's no problem, just be funny next time.
I was joking, sorry

It's no problem, just be funny next time.

Brrrr...
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I like to think YOU'RE the walker, so it's whatever YOU beleive. Are you summoning copies or pulling them from a split timeline? That's your choice.
Wait, I though this was in F&S. We tolerate more randomness there.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I like to think you just pull the creature out of whatever universe they're in. Like Olivia's just chillin, having some breakfast when suddenly *poof*

"What? Where the-?"
"Dude! I totally need your help! there's this giant stupid beast thing and I totes need some help killing it!"
"DAMN IT, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO EAT! YOU'VE GOT NO RESPECT, YOU KNOW THAT? WHAT IF I HAD BEEN SHOWERING OR SOMETHING? DO YOU EVER CONSIDER THAT IMMORTAL BEINGS HAVE LIVES TOO YOU ARROGANT &^%$!"

something like that...

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

I feel like it would be more like an all powerful god transports you to another place and you do what he says so you won't get obliterated.
Moving to Flavor & Storylines.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
You see that before the planeswalkers threatened to destroy the world with their immense power constantly at war with one another when suddenly they made a counsel to direct combat only in certain controlled situations where you control the creatures to fight against one another and the legendary creatures are the main creatures you control to battle it out in a massive multiplayer arena while your other creatures can still be there but are merely fodder for your legendary creatures and planeswalkers to take advantage of. 

this comes after and now at the time of the current era in this day and age that was tomorrow

(question is how on earth do you die to creatures if you are so powerful?) 
well anyone that gets stepped on by a Craterhoof Behemoth is gonna have a pretty bad day right?

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Yeah... Not a good day if that happens.
There is no real answer. Wizard is having it intentionally be vague. It's also possible that different planeswalkers use different ways of summoning creatures.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

You don't die in duels, you just get weak and leave, then come back to fight next Friday.

In the novels, many different approaches are shown.  In some of the older anthology books, there were stories of 'Walkers who summoned phantasmal replicas of people and monsters they had met, while in other stories, 'Walkers had the power to mark people and summon them across the Blind Eternities to wherever they were needed.  Post-Mending, it's been somewhat established that 'Walkers can't really bring living things with them across Planar boundaries, so there are two ways to think about summoning things:  either you are creating mental constructs, or you are summoning up things that already exist on that Plane. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

In the novels, many different approaches are shown.  In some of the older anthology books, there were stories of 'Walkers who summoned phantasmal replicas of people and monsters they had met, while in other stories, 'Walkers had the power to mark people and summon them across the Blind Eternities to wherever they were needed.  Post-Mending, it's been somewhat established that 'Walkers can't really bring living things with them across Planar boundaries, so there are two ways to think about summoning things:  either you are creating mental constructs, or you are summoning up things that already exist on that Plane. 

Wasn't the thing that you couldn't summon things in between planes and keep them there for a long time? Shorter times are fine, no?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Ask Jace how that experiment turned out.  Unless he wiped his memory of the tragedy....

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well, yeah. In Agents of Artifice Jace seems to think that his faerie and Sphinx and Tezzeret doesn't contradict it (although Tezzeret has ulterior motives).

The problem with summoning Kallist was that Jace couldn't keep him on a different plane, only get there temporarily. That's why he came up with the whole mind-madness.

You don't die in duels, you just get weak and leave, then come back to fight next Friday.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

I MEAN, they are called "duels" its clearly a gentlemanly sport between walkers. In fact ill turn that into a set/story....
Of course you'll turn that into a set.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
well I mean, what does one superpowerful being do when it comes in contact with another superpowerful being? Obviously tea time is kind of a boring exchange...

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

well I mean, what does one superpowerful being do when it comes in contact with another superpowerful being? Obviously tea time is kind of a boring exchange...

Well, at one point in the story, they all got together for tea under a giant gazebo......that also happened to be a superpowerful being in disguise.

Tea time you say? Don't tempt me, I can make anything into a story idea and it will work. I'll probbaly be over here a while, while I procrastinate my ymtc contest duties.
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

I always liked to think that it was very open to interpretation; playing the game really feels more like commanding an army to defend some sort of stronghold, to me.
I always liked to think that it was very open to interpretation; playing the game really feels more like commanding an army to defend some sort of stronghold, to me.

well yea you're defending fort "MyFace" from getting stomped into the ground.

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Yeah, this and I don't think there's any more need for "summoning a creature" to correspond to a diegetic event any more than the cleanup phase does. Ludic realism is bad enough when the D&D people fall into it.

Well, at one point in the story, they all got together for tea under a giant gazebo......that also happened to be a superpowerful being in disguise.

Don't insult her. Manatarqua was a pavillion, not a mere gazebo.

I have to agree with that feel. Whenever I built Human decks in Innistrad, I would imagine that my life was a representation of how many civilians were alive inside my city that was being assaulted by monsters. Although, if my deck was built around spirits or zombies, I would go with the normal flavor of being a powerful mage. It really depends on your deck.
not a mere gazebo.

You clearly don't know enough about gazebos. (D&D)
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
not a mere gazebo.

You clearly don't know enough about gazebos. (D&D)

No one can help you. You must face the Gazebo alone.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Psh, that was no mere gazebo either. That was the Dread Gazebo.
Much as a Dire wolf is no mere wolf.
Sign In to post comments