Rebreather Defender

36 posts / 0 new
Last post

Being inspired by the Draconic Challenge feat and Matyr's Machine Gun Breathing build.  I have humbly attempted to build a hybrid Sorcerer|Palidin that constantly recharges his breath weapon in order to keep a large number of enemies marked at a time.  I have so far build this character out to level 16th level and would love to get some feedback from the community.

Show

Rebreather Defender, level 16

Dragonborn, Sorcerer|Paladin, Paragon Hybrid
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Strength
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer Option: Dragon Soul
Dragon Soul Option: Dragon Soul Lightning
Paragon Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Lightning

Background: Auspicious Birth
Theme: Sensate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 22, CON 14, DEX 12, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 32 Fort: 29 Ref: 25 Will: 28
(Many Powers Boots these defenses up even further)

HP: 110 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +16, Diplomacy +19, Endurance +14

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Sorcerer Attack 1: Burning Spray
Paladin Attack 1: Enfeebling Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Divine Counter
Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales
Paladin Utility 6: Shield of Discipline
Paladin Attack 7: Price of Cowardice
Sorcerer Attack 7: Spark Form
Sorcerer Attack 9: Adamantine Echo
Paladin Attack 13: Eye for an Eye
Sorcerer Attack 15: Lightning Daggers
Sorcerer Utility 16: Draconic Majesty

FEATS
Paragon Hybrid Talent (Paladin Armor Profiency)
Level 1: Hybrid Talent (Dragon Soul)
Level 2: Nusemnee's Atonement
Level 4: Ancient Soul
Level 6: Draconic Challenge
Level 8: Light Shield Proficiency (Retrained at L11)
Level 10: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 11: Thundering Breath
Level 11: Resounding Thunder
Level 12: Lightning Soul
Level 14: Arcane Admixture
Level 16: Mark of Warding

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Heavy Shield
Battle Harness Earthhide Armor +3
Guardian's Call Longsword +3
Champion's Symbol +3
Amulet of Physical Resolve +3
Diamond Cincture (heroic tier)
Casque of Tactics (paragon tier)

There are so many options this build it could take while I am sure I have picked good options I am not sure if I have picked the best options or that the order is optimal. I would have loved to get Mark of Warding sooner than 16th level and am not sure if Paragon Hybrid is the best paragon path option, however getting hide and heavy shield proficiency does a lot for improving this build defenses, which need to be high since I will be having multiple targets marked each turn and my mark does effectively improve my allies defenses by 3-4 (mark -3 to attack, expertise +1 AC shield bonus to allies).

Please give me your feed back and questions.  Thank you. 

My main question would be how often you really need to mass-mark on this scale, and why can't you do that with a pure Pally chassis?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
My main question would be how often you really need to mass-mark on this scale, and why can't you do that with a pure Pally chassis?

Aside from just mass marking, you are throwing out a minor action attack that improved your DPR and in paragon control through though the push.  This build beats pure pally chassis as many of your sorcerer utilities and powers increases your defenses above what a pure Paladin could reach and do more damage.  For example at-will you can mark a group of enemies with your Breath Weapon then hit them again hit them again with Burning Spray, so now if they attack you they take STR damage and if they attack an ally they take sanction damage.

I am not sure how to calculate DPR for a build like this as there are just too many assumptions (will marked targets attack Me or my allies, and I keep them bunched together to keep hitting 3+, ect), but I have a feeling that this build will be hitting striker benchmarks while still being a strong defender by keeping many targets marked and thus less likely to hit allies then using immediate interrupt/reaction mark punishment stackers  if they do go after my them, and using defenses utilities when they attack me to make sure their attacks are wasted.

It's an interesting catch 22 though, and as a defender, that's exactly what you want to create.  Nice build   Using simple fire OP this build could do very good damage for a defender.  The utilities from the sorcerer also serve to help the defender role.  Good job

It sucks how feat starved you are and how tight your feat order is.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

It sucks how feat starved you are and how tight your feat order is.

That is one of the reasons I posted this build, I really like the concept but it does take a while to get going and there is so many good breath feats it is easy to lose focus. And could use some critique  
Trading your PP for +2 AC (Aversion Staff in your offhand combined with Draconic Challenge will do even better than the shield) and one feat (which wont get you hide, but leather/UA, at least) is not too good of a trade. The more since you already have good AC out of the box and Elven Chain Shirt exists. Champion of Order could be a good PP, but all the other strong and more rebreather-centric options would be nice, as well. 
Basically what erachima said, since nearly everything gets better by combining it with a rebreather, this is just a weaker version of a fully optimized rebreather but still stronger than most things a paladin can go for. It's like playing a Battlemind without just optimizing around BB/BR: you waste potential.
but a fully optimized rebreather won't be a defender, and won't have a catch 22 in place to help fulfill that role.  He's not making an optimized rebreather, he's making a defender variant.  So let's try to focus on helping him get that working as best we can instead of dismissing his build without even trying.

What's the arcane admixture for, I'm not seeing it. (just woke up so my bad if it's obvious) 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

What's the arcane admixture for, I'm not seeing it. (just woke up so my bad if it's obvious) 

+Thunder to DB.
isn't there another, better feat to do that ?

EDIT:  the feat Thundering Breath does the same thing but also adds a push equal to your CON modifier.

EDIT:  Which he already has so it can't be to add thunder... 

Arcane Admixture adds thunder to my Burning Spray, increasing its size keeping it the same size as my DB.  Dragon Breath gets thunder from Thundering Breath.

Yes, the goal of this build is not to be the best striker or most optimized rebreather, Matyr already did that with his Machine Gun Breathing build.  But instead be a good defender who can keep a large number of foes marked and in a catch-22 position.  The fact that rebreathing is such a good tactic for keeping my DPR at or above Striker benchmarks is a bonus, but not the focus of this build.

Trading your PP for +2 AC (Aversion Staff in your offhand combined with Draconic Challenge will do even better than the shield)

Thank you for pointing out the Aversion Staff, that is a better option, giving me back a proper PP.

Arcane Admixture adds thunder to my Burning Spray, increasing its size keeping it the same size as my DB.  Dragon Breath gets thunder from Thundering Breath.

Yes, the goal of this build is not to be the best striker or most optimized rebreather, Matyr already did that with his Machine Gun Breathing build.  But instead be a good defender who can keep a large number of foes marked and in a catch-22 position.  The fact that rebreathing is such a good tactic for keeping my DPR at or above Striker benchmarks is a bonus, but not the focus of this build.

You're already feat starved shouldn't spend a feat for Burning Spray. 1 damage ping per round, that's even uncertain isn't worth it.
man, I was looking at your PP options and good lord do you not have anything great in that list..  *shudder*

EDIT: I would really recommend getting an MC in to get a better PP if you're going to ditch paragon hybrid (which admittedly you probably should).  Replacing ARcane Admixture would make the most sense.  So that retrain of light shield prof becomes the MC into whatever class you want, then instead of arcane admixture you take the feat you were going to retrain for.  At least that way you get a good PP.

man, I was looking at your PP options and good lord do you not have anything great in that list..  *shudder*

Part of the reason before I was aware of the Aversion Staff, that Paragon Hybrid was not too much of a the opportunity cost of my other options wasn’t too great.  Champion of Order has a great encounter power but the rest of the past is only okay for this build, and even the encounter, Certain Justice, is against the general focus of this build by being single target, through it is does take that target out of the fight (Weakened + Dazed, Oach!) I have a feeling that Champion of Order maybe the best defender pp for this build but am going to look around and see if I can find something better.
I'd go with Paladin armor at 1st level, not Dragon Soul. You need Hurl Breath, badly.

Something to consider is aiming for the option of using Dragon Breath multiple times in an encounter, not necessarily to the level of rebreather. A Ranger|Paladin Honorable Blade should typically have 2-3 uses per encounter, 4-6 in Epic. Have say Call of Challenge and Valorous Smite and you should be able to consistently sanction opponents.

Another option is to be a Sorcerer|Cleric who then MCs into Paladin. That opens up your hybrid slot for Dragon Soul while solving your AC problem. You don't need to be able to consistently divine challenge once you've got repeatable divine sanction.
Champion of Order has a great encounter power but the rest of the past is only okay for this build.

It's the f11 that's interesting for you. Combined with slide enhancement you can easily bring all foes adjacent. 
Combined with Stormraider, MC Wizard + Familiar Harrier it's a total lockdown. It's a very high opportunity cost and would cost you 1 breath every 2 rounds, but may be worth a watch (at least if you mostly focus on the defender part, as you planned to).
I made up a similar build (did a whole fleet of rebreathers ... a pure one, Bard|Sorc, Warlord|Sorc, Warlock|Sorc, and Pali|Sorc as a party theme), but haven't tried it in game (see Erachima's comment), as the group I play with doesn't optimize nearly this much.  I took nearly the same powers, but some different feats/PP.

What kind of game is this for, or is it a theory build?  Make sure your DM and party are friendly to the idea.  You need more party willingness, or ideally cooperation, than most builds.  If a home game, a free expertise feat would really help.  Are you starting from level 1?  Do you know anything about the rest of the party? 

Some thoughts:

•  PP = Argentum Alliance (adds cold + slow + d6 to DB, mark on AP) or Ninefold Master (add enhancement to DB, counts as Sorc arcane power which gives more bonuses in epic).  Both of these add to damage, so you may want to do some calculations for your damage vs resist/THP.   AA's slow isn't ally friendly, so consider Disciple of Freedom (for them ... you don't have room.)  Also, World Serpent Grasp is great for someone if you go that route.  See earlier comments on defenses in this thread, you don't lose much. 

• Lightning Soul only gives +1 damage over Draconic challenge, and the secondary.  Not sure that that is worth it.

• New Dragonborn options from Dragon 421 - look at Arcane Blood for +1/2/3 racial damage bonus to arcane powers, and maybe the Bozak Instinctive Flight (horribly written, discuss interpretation with DM.) 

• Devout Protector Expertise doesn't help DB (no implement keyword).  You need Draconic Spellcaster.  See the next 2 bullets.

• Are you using Arcane Admixture: Thunder for Burning Spray?  Dragon Breath doesn't need it as Thundering Breath takes care of that.  If you want to use Arcane Admixture, adding Fire will give you Draconic Spellcaster bonuses on Flame Spiral, and more elemental resistance if/when you get Wyrmtouched Amulet (lvl 19 item)  

• Radiant Breath may be worth it if you have another radiant party member. Also allows Draconic Spellcaster to give an expertise bonus to your radiant powers, freeing up Devout Protector (apart from ally AC bonus, which would cost a proficiency feat if you get if you use a different PP ).  If going this route, get a radiant pali at-will like Virtuous Strike.

• Maiden's Walking for a U10 is great.  Your minor actions are pretty cramped, and you don't have Superior Will.

• Hurl Breath or Enlarged Dragon Breath adds a lot of potential damage/marking, and add more size than Resounding Thunder.  Resounding Thunder stacks though, so pick it up later.

• Hero's Poise is an excellent pali feat.  

• Feat summary - Swap Devout Protector for Draconic Spellcaster, Light Shield for Radiant Breath, Lightning Soul for Hurl Breath or Enlarged DB,  Admixture Fire on DB instead of Thunder, or get Hero's Poise.  Maybe UA instead of one of the these.  

• Items - Circlet of Arkhosia - if you can't fit in Superior Will (don't see how you can by 16.)  Ring of Radiant storm.   Wyrmtouched Amulet eventually.  You won't get a implement crit effect on DB, as it's not an implement power, so not sure the Champion's symbol is worth it.  I'd probably use the Aversion Staff as your implement (useful and cheap!) and just use holy symbol as a Symbol of Victory (becomes cheap.)

I'd go with Paladin armor at 1st level, not Dragon Soul. You need Hurl Breath, badly.

Dragon Soul is needed for Ancient Soul.

What kind of game is this for, or is it a theory build?  Make sure your DM and party are friendly to the idea.  You need more party willingness, or ideally cooperation, than most builds.  If a home game, a free expertise feat would really help.  Are you starting from level 1?  Do you know anything about the rest of the party? 

Right now this is a pure theory build, as my main D&D group is taking a break.  The concept of using DB round after round to keep a large numbers of foes marked really appealed to me.  I had this ideal in my head for the past few weeks and just wanted to get it written down and get feedback as there were still parts of it that brother me, like Paragon Hybrid and how feet starved this build is I was not sure if I was overlooking great feats and only putting in good ones.

Ideally, I would like to be able to play this guy in a game, but for now that is only a nice goal.

Thank you, entropiccanuck for all your suggestions. One note is that the reason I went with Lightning Soul is that when I use Nusemnee's Atonement to damage myself Lightning Soul lets me deal 10 (15 ar epic) lightning damage to one enemy within 5 squares.

Dragon Soul is needed for Ancient Soul.

Yes and until 11th, he really can't do all that much with Ancient Soul either.

His defenses at 16th look really good. His base AC is 14 at 1st level and he only has melee range powers. That's not going to end well. 

I think the issue is that rebreathing is so strong that your role doesn't really matter. If you are a rebreather, you are a striker, period. Anything else you do (and any other strikers in your party) will be eclipsed by your damage. Even for theoryop, I just don't really see the point here.

If you really want to be a defender, I think MwaO had the right suggestion of working in multiple breaths per encounter without going all-out rebreather. It gives you a lot more options and might allow enemies to actually survive to experience your catch-22.
He's creating a very interesting catch 22 situation in heroic.  Speaking of heroic his dragon breath is going to be doing 1d6+1 during all of heroic tier.  Claiming that his damage will eclipse strikers is nonsense.  If he spams the breath, he runs into the same problems as real rebreathers, which is to say he's killing himself.  Sensate doesn't do much to stop that during most of heroic either.  In other words, he found a very good way to mass mark, for decent damage, which then creates a catch 22 situation if he also hits with his at-will attack.  Enemies who are not minions will survive to experience the catch 22 during every encounter.

I also don't agree with the statement that being a rebreather automatically forces you into a striker role.  He's doing something that is clearly not striker oriented, catch 22's like this is something a defender wants to create.  A rogue can create a catch 22 situation using one of his at-wills, but that does not mean it's a striker thing to do.  In fact only very specific builds do this, and some of them are actually defenders.

Once he hits paragon and starts adding thunder, adding bonuses to damage, forced movement, etc..  He might do better than a striker in his party, sure.  That's a possibility I can't deny.  But that really just means he's a very powerful defender who's got a working catch 22 from low heroic AND is capable of dishing out striker level DPR AND has defender level defenses.  Saying he's doing something wrong is what's actually wrong here and not the other way around.

Again OrionNo9, good job with this build.  And I hope those who post after this will actually give you useful feedback for your build instead of something else.

I think the issue is that rebreathing is so strong that your role doesn't really matter. If you are a rebreather, you are a striker, period. Anything else you do (and any other strikers in your party) will be eclipsed by your damage. Even for theoryop, I just don't really see the point here.

If you really want to be a defender, I think MwaO had the right suggestion of working in multiple breaths per encounter without going all-out rebreather. It gives you a lot more options and might allow enemies to actually survive to experience your catch-22.

The point of *any* build, regardless of the role that build may or may not encompass, is to get rid of enemies.  The Catch-22 is nice for when an enemy gets missed or something.  If you are suggesting that he gets rid of something that does damage in order for enemies to have a(nother) chance to *deal* damage to the party, you are suggesting poorly.
He's creating a very interesting catch 22 situation in heroic.

Burning Spray is only against the next enemy that hits you with a melee attack and for 4-5 damage. 14 AC, being in melee, and having marked your enemies means that they have incentive to focus fire you. Much more so than ignoring you.

It isn't a real catch-22. It is that you get to damage attackers who are going to go after you anyway. 
Catch-22s only exist when you reach a point where "Deciding to make an Attack" = Bad Idea, and when the DM/Monster knows that. You'd need something on the level of WLMR+Target is Slowed+Yakuza to qualify; without 20% SMHP retribution and High Defenses they'll just choose to attack you, and/or without escape being improbable and painful they'll just choose to attack your allies (DC/DS is never enough)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
In other words, he found a very good way to mass mark, for decent damage, which then creates a catch 22 situation if he also hits with his at-will attack. 

I guess you're talking about Burning Spray as part of the "catch-22".
He tries to be an AoE defender with this build. Burning Spray does nothing for an AoE catch-22. Even as a single target catch-22, which it seems to be designed for, it's bad. It's not even decently targettable, which enemy will trigger it and it triggers only on being hit (which the OP seemingly wants to avoid, when i see his initial PP choice). And it triggers only once a round (and only if you repeatedly use it) and not even granted. It's way too specific to be useful and to optimize around it, when you have sorcerer encounter powers for your standard action instead is painful, as well.

For a proper catch-22 he could go Champion of Order + shift prevention. Applying difficult terrain (party-op if you can't do it yourself) or the (very costly) Familiar Harrier variant (Rakshasa Claw cheese would prevent enemies from teleporting, at least) could be an option. And i bet there are other ways.

He's creating a very interesting catch 22 situation in heroic.  Speaking of heroic his dragon breath is going to be doing 1d6+1 during all of heroic tier.  Claiming that his damage will eclipse strikers is nonsense.  If he spams the breath, he runs into the same problems as real rebreathers, which is to say he's killing himself.  Sensate doesn't do much to stop that during most of heroic either.  In other words, he found a very good way to mass mark, for decent damage, which then creates a catch 22 situation if he also hits with his at-will attack.  Enemies who are not minions will survive to experience the catch 22 during every encounter.

At 1d6+1, he's only going to beat his resist 5 for his Ancient Soul recharge 33% of the time.   As MwaO said, may be better to look at alternate usage/recharge methods.
He's creating a very interesting catch 22 situation in heroic.  Speaking of heroic his dragon breath is going to be doing 1d6+1 during all of heroic tier.

I guess when i see "Rebreather" in the title and a level 16 build offered, I didn't think the OP was talking about heroic-tier play. When people refer to rebreathers, I assume they're talking about a build where most of the pieces have already been put together.

You are correct though that the brokenness of rebreathers is level-dependent. To be clear to the OP, my criticism here is for rebreathers in general. The defender twist is nice and could indeed be useful for many levels.
I was actually mistaken in my understanding of his build.  When I posted my previous post I was at work and from memory, I remembered that Burning Spray was a blast 3.  The part I was mistaken about was that I believed that with dragon magic, every creature hit by the power would then take damage if it attacked the sorcerer.  Unfortunately, that is not the case, what it actually says is the FIRST creature to attack the sorcerer will take damage.  This pretty much screws over the catch 22 I thought was in play here. 

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused on this point.

I was actually mistaken in my understanding of his build.  When I posted my previous post I was at work and from memory, I remembered that Burning Spray was a blast 3.  The part I was mistaken about was that I believed that with dragon magic, every creature hit by the power would then take damage if it attacked the sorcerer.  Unfortunately, that is not the case, what it actually says is the FIRST creature to hit the sorcerer will take damage.  This pretty much screws over the catch 22 I thought was in play here. 

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused on this point.

ftfy

lol ty

Could be fun if/when he finds room for WLR, though.
Ye, would definitely be better, but still, that's nothing i'd call punishment for attacking you (at least not without stacking vulnerabilities big time). Being nearly unhittable is the best punishment for attacking you from team Player's point of view, due to the directly opposed hitpoint/damage-output ratio of Team Monster and Team Player. So, every hit you dodge is way more worthy than some static damage ping. Of course, WLR pings even when not being hit, but spending a feat for it seems wrong (without the said vul stacking, with which it really could be fun because of the possibility of a double tap out of turn). WLR will force him into using Burning Spray over and over again, as well, and he really should be using his encounter standards instead to be most effective. Of course, he got 2 minors every turn, so optimizing around an at-will would be possible, but it's Flame Spiral and Co., man..
Being nearly unhittable is the best punishment for attacking you from team Player's point of view, due to the directly opposed hitpoint/damage-output ratio of Team Monster and Team Player. So, every hit you dodge is way more worthy than some static damage ping.

Maybe, but take that to the extreme and you're ending the day with a full complement of surges. Taking hits and retaliating is basically converting those surges into damage to speed up combat. Obviously taking that to the extreme leaves you dead, so the truly most effective balance is somewhere in the middle.
Being nearly unhittable is the best punishment for attacking you from team Player's point of view, due to the directly opposed hitpoint/damage-output ratio of Team Monster and Team Player. So, every hit you dodge is way more worthy than some static damage ping.

Maybe, but take that to the extreme and you're ending the day with a full complement of surges. Taking hits and retaliating is basically converting those surges into damage to speed up combat. Obviously taking that to the extreme leaves you dead, so the truly most effective balance is somewhere in the middle.

I agree with you there. I'd trade taking a hit for dishing out a hit and/or a roll every day, but reactively dealing ability mod damage while having to use an at-will for it to work just isn't worth it, without vulnerabilities, imo. To optimize around punishment for being hit is pretty hard, since the options are pretty limited and opportunity cost is high, compared to punishment for other triggers. So, for a proper catch-22 i'd rather optimize around high defenses, combined with strong punishment for the other triggers.
And ye, the sorcerer got really strong out-of-turn encounter powers, especially in the defensive section, so he could fill his slots with good alternatives and this would be an absolutely playable and strong build.
But the problem i see, is, that WLR/Burning Spray says "let encounters last some rounds", while the  sorcerer and especially rebreather part clearly says "let the encounter end right now", so all the effort he put into slow mo retaliation would be meaningless. It's really like seeing someone asking for how to optimize his Battlemind without optimizing around BB. He'd get similar answers.

Sign In to post comments