[Dragon's-Eye View] 5ed's Forgotten Realms art

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thought I should let people know that Jon is beginning to talk about how he's going to create and commission art for 5ed Forgotten Realms products.

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Key quotes:

-  When I was talking with James Wyatt about the world recently, we both agreed that the lands of Faerûn should be familiar, and to a degree, welcoming. We don't want anything so extreme or alien that folks have a hard time relating to it. At the same time, this should be a land of wonder and awe.     

- For myself, I wanted to give the world a fresh visual pass. For too long, we've allowed the visuals to pale in relation to our imaginations. This time I wanted to really amp things up. I wanted to take a look at the lands from the perspective of a film director. 

- Here's my next step: This week, I have two young interns from DigiPen Institute of Technology joining my team for the summer, and I'll be giving them the chance to contribute to the world as well.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

So the Realms will be filled with red x's?
Looks like it... well, there is that whole X marks the spot thing, and there are a plethora of lost kingdoms, so from a certain point of view... it kinda makes sense. 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

I've found some more images of 5E art. I'm posting them below.

X

X

X

X

Personally, I have to say I'm intrigued by their bold new art direction. Wink
Thom Tenery's art is pretty amazing after checking his portfolio WOW!

I can't wait to see how FR comes out in his hands!! Unfortunatly we'll have to wait a bit longer until the article art is fixed and display properly : ((
He's a great artist. Much better than that conceptopolis art.
Wow these are great scenery! Love them! They are cold, dark and rugged like mountain range they depict...

More please... 
The structure in the foreground of the 2nd piece: am I the only person itching for a map? I could see that location somewhere along the Northeastern Dragonmere where that body of water runs up against the Stormhorns, in the dead of winter.

From the text of Schindehette's article I gather that this location is supposed to be some kind of temple, but I think I could turn it into Magekeep no problem.

If I wanted it to be a temple, I could place this location halfway between Magekeep and Valkur's Roar (going by the map found in the Backdrop: Cormyr article--which is still a free download on the WotC website, by the way).
Looks more like a place that concerns wizards more then the faithful to me too.  Maybe a tucked away academy for the War Wizards or something...

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Scenery! Landscapes! Finally! I always try to describe these to my players, to give a good sense of place and mood and theme, but so often the artwork in the sourcebooks is of people you're never going to meet. A picture is the best way to evoke a city or landscape.
I love landscape art and this is great!  If this is an indicator of where the Realms is going, consider me interested!

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Sign In to post comments