YMTC Idol 11: Round 1

242 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sometimes you've got to take your idea-clay and mush it back up to start again, because your creation is getting out of hand.

lol, your point is driven even more solidly home after I re-designed the card.

To make myself out to be less of a whiney baby though, I just knew it was a 5 way tie and was hoping my ranting would convince you to bump me up to 4th worst or something Tongue Out, or convince Detektor (who I thought would be the tie-breaker) to vote mine higher...If you ain't tryin, why are you competin! (although I did suspect a slight mis-read, which is ok, if my real life job has taught me anything, its that if one person doesn't understand what you are trying to say then you should try to re-word it.)

Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Voice of the People

“Can’t” trumps “can”, but does “can’t” trump “can’t”? Let’s hope so. Flashy ability aside, 4/2 first strike for 4 is above the curve, and the flavor being specifically about blowing up a building seems to clash with the rest of the card.

"The building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by the people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world."
-V

Dang, I really thought that blowing up the building would be seen in a less literal sense, and that the fact it was being used to instigate something was the focal point. 

Level 1 Judge

The Master 

I can’t tell if this is amazingly strong or terrible, but I do think it’s pretty unfun. You don’t get to do your things, and your opponents don’t get to do their things. Sure, you get to do their things, but  I don’t think that evens out the fun spectrum. I feel like Mindslaver was neat because it’s a one-shot. Also, I’m not getting the flavor here.

I admit that it is pretty unfun. I was operating strictly on flavor. Perhaps I assumed too much in terms of flavor because the quote is referring to BDSM, which isn't apparent just from the text. I don't know if you know what Fifty Shades of Grey is about or what BDSM is. Those that are heavily into BDSM, whether a master or a slave, like to teeter on the edge of pleasure and pain, whether physical or emotional (and others like to leave out the harm in favor of just playing around). I illustrated the BDSM culture through the render, the name, and the context of the quote by relating to pleasure and pain; meaning "pleasure" was shown through controlling opponents (like a master), and "pain" was shown through enduring upkeep costs and opponents being controlled (like a slave).

So I guess I tried too hard? 

iirc you asked people to give you a quote and they gave you that... if I were you I would have looked for another quote.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Thanks Chaos - you are badoss.

I guess I would like feedback on my card. I'm actually more curious as to how the judge's judge. Judgement might be one of the most interesting aspects of YMtC. Thank you!

Final Submission:

Erasure of Night 
Enchantment
At the beginning of each endstep each player's life total becomes what it was at the beginning of the current turn's upkeep.

"The sun shonehaving no alternative, on the nothing new" 
- Samuel Beckett, Murphy 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
This is why you have the judges choose more than the minimum amount of nominations for elimination. ;)
Does Eph really hate my card that much? if he slip me down 1 slot we can avoid this whole run off thing.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Fantasies Unwind
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal your hand. An opponent and you each chooses a card secretly. If the opponent did not choose your card, you may play that card without paying its mana cost until your next turn.
"Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind." -Phantom of the Opera

I care enough to feel pressue to have to best 4 other players...

Then it frustrates me that I don't think I can make it to the top anyway and I'm losing hair in the first round.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This is why you have the judges choose more than the minimum amount of nominations for elimination. ;)

I have a feeling that I have a small chance that I won't get eliminated if that happens.... wishful thinking i guess.

The one comment I had was good I think.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I'm actually more curious as to how the judge's judge. Judgement might be one of the most interesting aspects of YMtC. Thank you!

Things that I take into account: Elegance, flavor, internal synergy, quality of wording, balance, my own gut feeling.
Things that I ignore: Originality, comments, explanations.

If you want to get good grades from me, find a way to say a lot by saying little, make sure that flavor and mechanics are not at odds with each other,   streamline the wording and keep your fingers crossed.
From nothing came teeth.
I agree Kavu, the optionality of the cumulative upkeep was a big flaw for my card. It should have been mandatory, and that would have changed some costs as well. I would assume that Eph and Rumor had the same issue with the card.  
I'm actually more curious as to how the judge's judge. Judgement might be one of the most interesting aspects of YMtC. Thank you!

Things that I take into account: Elegance, flavor, internal synergy, quality of wording, balance, my own gut feeling.

If you want to get good grades from me, find a way to say a lot by saying little, make sure that flavor and mechanics are not at odds with each other,   streamline the wording and keep your fingers crossed.

Huh. Interesting. I suppose it is hard to factor in originality when you've been here as long as you have. I'd expect that there isn't much you haven't seen. Thank you.

I totally get wording, flavour, etc. and gut feeling, but balance? This is one of the things I, and many others, have wondered about. How can you grade balance? Like, I do, occasionally. And I think that when I do it, I sorta base it around Modern printability. So how do you decide what is balanced? I mean, a player who primarily plays legacy might consider a legacy playable card strong, but still balanced. The same might be said for vintage players as well.

Elegance is also something I think different people define in different ways.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I expect that my original card might've fared even worse! 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Apologies, but this week has been a bit hectic, so only brief comments:

theatog: I think on the surface that the card looks entertaining.  I think that in play, however, it likely won't do a whole lot beyond the first turn except incentivize people to dump their hands.  It's still amusing enough the that Johnny in me wants to play it along with self-hurting spells, particularly Phage the Untouchable. The flavor isn't great, but neither is it terrible.  As a minor note, I personally think that it feels a little more B/R than mono-B, but that's a quibble.  Once again, Phage.

Silly_Dragons: I dig it.  The flavor is good.  My biggest issue with it is transmute.

POSValkir1: Kavu has covered it.

ulyth: On another day I may have ranked yours lower than I did.  It -is- incredibly unfun to play against.

razorborne: Biggest knock against it is that it's a bit fiddly, and is both worse and better for having to recalculate every upkeep.

Franken_Stein: Take away the flavor text as is and you have an neat little card.  Add that flavor text back in and to me you have a disconnect between the name/flavor text and the mechanics.

SimonGlume: Lackluster name, not a great mesh of flavor text to mechanics, and such a cheaply abusable sac engine.

magicpablo666:: Uber standstill card is unfun.  Flavor is meh.

I totally get wording, flavour, etc. and gut feeling, but balance? This is one of the things I, and many others, have wondered about. How can you grade balance? Like, I do, occasionally. And I think that when I do it, I sorta base it around Modern printability. So how do you decide what is balanced? I mean, a player who primarily plays legacy might consider a legacy playable card strong, but still balanced. The same might be said for vintage players as well.

Elegance is also something I think different people define in different ways.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I expect that my original card might've fared even worse! 

For me, very similar to Eph, except switch Flavor and Elegance, and Gut Feeling and Balance.  :P  When considering Balance, I take into account current printability.  I pay plenty of attention to Standard, and enough to Modern that I feel I have a good grasp as to what would be overboard for something in that sort of environment.  Not necessarily the current Standard, but -a- Standard.

SimonGlume: Lackluster name, not a great mesh of flavor text to mechanics, and such a cheaply abusable sac engine.

Rumor, did you read mine correctly? It can only sac itself, nothing else.

Also, the flavor represents an immortality curse that drives the owner of the curse mad, similar to Groundhog Day or similar stories in which the cursed person goes nuts and kills themselves, only to wake up the next morning alive. I felt it appropriate to the flavor text as the "edge" is represented by death, or suicide in this case.  

Any kind of delay on this thing as my design appears to have been misread by one of the judges? 

Balance ebbs and flows, true. But there's a recognizable standard, and moreso when you judge, a standard that YOU feel secure with. A good judge can loosen his or her restraints when need be, but should still trust in the years of playing to make decisions. Shock and Lightning Bolt have come and gone, and both could be called "balanced" depending on how one looks at the game. It really is a difficult thing to judge. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered. If I submit:

Fixed Lotus
Artifact
, Sacrifice Fixed Lotus: Add two mana of any color to your mana pool.

Most of us can agree that such a card would severely warp any environment it exists in. Your legacy comments should take into account that recent cards that found their way there were still printed in Standard environments and meant to be at least somewhat fair there. Jace the Mind Sculptor isn't balanced. 
Yeah, I take a look at Standard intitially and see if it would be overpowered.  Then I branch out and see what interactions could break it from other formats...which is why I had to change my redesign to only target your own permanents...can't quite justify free removal in blue...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Rumor, did you read mine correctly? It can only sac itself, nothing else.

Also, the flavor represents an immortality curse that drives the owner of the curse mad, similar to Groundhog Day or similar stories in which the cursed person goes nuts and kills themselves, only to wake up the next morning alive. I felt it appropriate to the flavor text as the "edge" is represented by death, or suicide in this case.  

Any kind of delay on this thing as my design appears to have been misread by one of the judges? 

I read it correctly.  I didn't mean sac engine.  I meant sac engine enabler.  Also, etb enabler.  For comparison, Mortus Strider.  Also, I didn't say the flavor wasn't okay.  Just that it wasn't great, particularly in meshing all the parts of the card into a whole.
Old card:

Self-Awareness
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may reveal it. If you do, put two +1/+1 counters on each creature with the same name as it.
"This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
William Shakespeare, Hamlet

So it's not exciting enough. I can understand that. It's a one-mana enchantment that might not affect the board ever, and even if it does, it isn't that big of an effect. Let's change it up:

Wise Mentor
Creature - Human Advisor
When Wise Mentor enters the battlefield, reveal the top seven cards of your library. Put two +1/+1 counters on each creature you control that has the same name as any of the revealed cards.
2/4

“We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we’re wrong. Someone we trust.”
David Levithan, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

I upped the cost so it comes down naturally after casting a few creatures, and now it can pump itself too. Even if it completely whiffs, at least you get a 2/4. In general, it just seems more exciting.
Ok...I'm not gonna hold this up any longer waiting for some devine inpsiration to hit and give me the answer...

My submission is finalized.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Could I get comments so I can manipulate the judges more deviously?

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I'd like some too. Is it the same reason as Kavu's, i.e. unfunness?
Final submission.

Reaper's Recess

Enchantment
All creatures are indestructible.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls. You gain that much life.
"The following day, no one died. The fact, due to being absolutely contrary to the rules of life, caused in the people's spirits an enormous distress."
—José Saramago, Death with Interruptions

Just a thought on grading - perhaps every strike after the first strike in a round should add 2 points on to that persons score in order to fix the 3 strikes can beat a 1 strike problem?
I'd like some too. Is it the same reason as Kavu's, i.e. unfunness? 

Pretty much.

From nothing came teeth.

Round 1 Runoff Criteria:

Taking criticism well is an important part of improving at any creative discipline. One part of this virtue inolves being gracious and accepting negative responses to a card without lashing out and derailing the entire thread. Another part of it involves listening to your peers and using their considered opinions to help develop your skills.

Assignment:
Create an improved version of the card you submitted this round OR in the audition round.
Broken Versions...:
Show
Veiled Realities            Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

Darksteel Relic breaks the bejesus out of this...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Exile a permanent you control, then put a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities onto the battlefield.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

ETB breaks this...and I think it breaks itself...and I don't think it hit the flavor well enough...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.

Reasons for Changes:
Show
TLDR 1: Unmorphing didn't hit flavor, this design keeps your opponents guessing as to what is what.
Show
Well, its a 100% change isn't it...so first:  
I thought about Kavu's comments on unmorphing them ruins the flavor.  I didn't agree, but figured it was somewhere to start.  I wanted to make the morph ability less permanent.  No matter what I thought of, I couldn't re-hide the nature of the creature once revealed.  I had an idea of exiling a creature for and then popping it onto the battlefield whenever you wanted, which led to "What if I mimed a creature."  That was wordy and complicated.  So I thought, what if I just had a set number of cards that any card could be turned into...and then I got the above abilities.  Which I actually think work better and go a long way to convincing me Kavu had a point.

TLDR 2: Phyrexian mana is a selfish flavor hog Tongue Out, no more of that (also, wanting a card out early doesn't justify it coming out early).  
Show
So, unfortuneatly Phyrexian mana exists in a flavorful way and the comments of Kavu's I agree most with is the jarring of two universes.  I also think it would be inappropriate to add to the casting cost simply because I want the card out earlier.  Therefore, we have a mono-blue card that comes out when it comes out.

Finally, the name changes for obvious reasons.

Design Thoughts: 
Show
I couldn't think of a jaw dropping name for the card, but in Gathering different words that popped into my head to ensure the word hit the flavor (Sever did not...), I tried Veiled and found a nice historical tie.

I think the design could probably effect the opponents permanents as well, and more fully hit the flavor, but there are too many cards which can be used with this that utterly shatter the color pie...using 0/0 creatures to destroy lands, etc etc.

I costed the card at 7 CMC and left the ability at 4, It allows the card to naturally produce its effect twice the round after it hits the board.  I feel the two in the activation cost is necessary given the power-level of interactions this card can produce.

Death Seeker |
Creature - Human Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
1/1

If I could get comments from Rumor and Ephemeron please, though I'm fairly certain I know where the issue lies.

Life-Cursed Wretch |
Creature - Zombie Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
1/1

remade card

Immortal Madman 
Creature - Human
Sacrifice Immortal Madman: Return Immortal Madman from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones  who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
1/1

I actually stand by this design all in all, but I see how some might find it bothersome how hard it is to kill. It was compared to Mortus Strider, which is a tough comparison since I'd argue there isn't really a comparison for this. However, going on this, Mortus Strider is a bad common, and mine would be geared at higher rarity, which enables more power or lower cost. Unlike Strider, it isn't recurring in the same turn, which is one of the reasons Strider is at CMC 3. I'd agree that a 3 CMC would be fair for this card, but it probably wouldn't be any good whatsoever then. I think a better comparison would be Bitterblossom, which gives one creature a turn. I know that's a broken card, but this is wayyyyyy less powerful. This doesn't pump out multiple creatures and only triggers etb (or ltb) triggers. I personally like the flavor and mechanic, but taste is too objective to argue. I think it was a risky play being a creature that can't die and etb every other turn and then leaves, as it's basically a self combo card in a way. But the "at the beginning of upkeep" clause should keep that in check. 

Since flavor and mechanics were a big issue, I went back closer to what this design initially was - a vampire with a sac ability. It is in general on par with what I wanted Madman to do, which was sacing a creature to rise from the grave the next morning (or night in this case).

Midnight Immortalist

Creature - Vampire
, Sacrifice a non-Vampire creature you control: Return the sacrificed creature from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. It is a black Vampire in addition to its other types.
"It is too late. My blood is in your veins." - The Lost Boys
2/2

I think one thing that needs criticism is this grading system. Somebody can get 3 strikes and still beat out somebody with one strike? Guess I'll take comments from Rumor and Eph, and if it isn't fixed in this version I'll resubmit. I'm guessing my original design was near impossible to get rid of, making it broken?

Fantasies Unwind 
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal your hand. An opponent and you each chooses a card secretly. If the opponent did not choose your card, you may play that card without paying its mana cost until your next turn.
"Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind." -Phantom of the Opera

Then it frustrates me that I don't think I can make it to the top anyway and I'm losing hair in the first round.

Old card:

Self-Awareness 
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may reveal it. If you do, put two +1/+1 counters on each creature with the same name as it.

―William Shakespeare, Hamlet

So it's not exciting enough. I can understand that. It's a one-mana enchantment that might not affect the board ever, and even if it does, it isn't that big of an effect. Let's change it up:

Wise Mentor 
Creature - Human Advisor
When Wise Mentor enters the battlefield, reveal the top seven cards of your library. Put two +1/+1 counters on each creature you control that has the same name as any of the revealed cards.
2/4

“We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we’re wrong. Someone we trust.” 
David Levithan, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

I upped the cost so it comes down naturally after casting a few creatures, and now it can pump itself too. Even if it completely whiffs, at least you get a 2/4. In general, it just seems more exciting.

The runoff round is closed. Judges, please choose the contestant who you feel best demonstrated the characteristics described in the criteria. As this requires unanimous choice, please discuss the choice amongst yourselves until you are ready to select a person to rejoin the contest.
Woop Woop finally. Good luck guys.
Just to clarify, since my broken versions somehow popped out of the spoiler block.  The final version is the one with the activation cost.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Can anyone tell me how to fix a screwed-up spoiler block like that?

Also, the judges are free to discuss their selection in public so long as the contestants don't try to chime in. That will lend this a bit more of an Idoly atmosphere.
I'll keep my trap shut...uh, fingers still.  I'd be curious about the discussion.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Can anyone tell me how to fix a screwed-up spoiler block like that?

Also, the judges are free to discuss their selection in public so long as the contestants don't try to chime in. That will lend this a bit more of an Idoly atmosphere.

Edit your post, in html view, wrap all the content in a div with the class "mb_t_p_t_post_div".

I think that should do it.

If you don't know how to do that, ask me. :>

Edit: Nah, that just fixes the font size.

Edit 2: Found it. In the html view, there's a div after Veiled Realities 4UU. Remove that closing div. It's the one you find after Broken Versions...:

Or use this:

Show

Round 1 Runoff Criteria:

Taking criticism well is an important part of improving at any creative discipline. One part of this virtue inolves being gracious and accepting negative responses to a card without lashing out and derailing the entire thread. Another part of it involves listening to your peers and using their considered opinions to help develop your skills.

Assignment:
Create an improved version of the card you submitted this round OR in the audition round.
Broken Versions...:
Show
Veiled Realities            Enchantment
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.

Darksteel Relic breaks the bejesus out of this...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
:  Exile a permanent you control, then put a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities onto the battlefield.

ETB breaks this...and I think it breaks itself...and I don't think it hit the flavor well enough...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.

Reasons for Changes:
Show
TLDR 1: Unmorphing didn't hit flavor, this design keeps your opponents guessing as to what is what.
Show
Well, its a 100% change isn't it...so first:  
I thought about Kavu's comments on unmorphing them ruins the flavor.  I didn't agree, but figured it was somewhere to start.  I wanted to make the morph ability less permanent.  No matter what I thought of, I couldn't re-hide the nature of the creature once revealed.  I had an idea of exiling a creature for and then popping it onto the battlefield whenever you wanted, which led to "What if I mimed a creature."  That was wordy and complicated.  So I thought, what if I just had a set number of cards that any card could be turned into...and then I got the above abilities.  Which I actually think work better and go a long way to convincing me Kavu had a point.

TLDR 2: Phyrexian mana is a selfish flavor hog Tongue Out, no more of that (also, wanting a card out early doesn't justify it coming out early).  
Show
So, unfortuneatly Phyrexian mana exists in a flavorful way and the comments of Kavu's I agree most with is the jarring of two universes.  I also think it would be inappropriate to add to the casting cost simply because I want the card out earlier.  Therefore, we have a mono-blue card that comes out when it comes out.

Finally, the name changes for obvious reasons.

Design Thoughts: 
Show
I couldn't think of a jaw dropping name for the card, but in Gathering different words that popped into my head to ensure the word hit the flavor (Sever did not...), I tried Veiled and found a nice historical tie.

I think the design could probably effect the opponents permanents as well, and more fully hit the flavor, but there are too many cards which can be used with this that utterly shatter the color pie...using 0/0 creatures to destroy lands, etc etc.

I costed the card at 7 CMC and left the ability at 4, It allows the card to naturally produce its effect twice the round after it hits the board.  I feel the two in the activation cost is necessary given the power-level of interactions this card can produce.

Death Seeker |
Creature - Human Shaman
1/1

If I could get comments from Rumor and Ephemeron please, though I'm fairly certain I know where the issue lies.

Life-Cursed Wretch |
Creature - Zombie Shaman
1/1

remade card

Immortal Madman 
Creature - Human
Sacrifice Immortal Madman: Return Immortal Madman from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones  who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
1/1

I actually stand by this design all in all, but I see how some might find it bothersome how hard it is to kill. It was compared to Mortus Strider, which is a tough comparison since I'd argue there isn't really a comparison for this. However, going on this, Mortus Strider is a bad common, and mine would be geared at higher rarity, which enables more power or lower cost. Unlike Strider, it isn't recurring in the same turn, which is one of the reasons Strider is at CMC 3. I'd agree that a 3 CMC would be fair for this card, but it probably wouldn't be any good whatsoever then. I think a better comparison would be Bitterblossom, which gives one creature a turn. I know that's a broken card, but this is wayyyyyy less powerful. This doesn't pump out multiple creatures and only triggers etb (or ltb) triggers. I personally like the flavor and mechanic, but taste is too objective to argue. I think it was a risky play being a creature that can't die and etb every other turn and then leaves, as it's basically a self combo card in a way. But the "at the beginning of upkeep" clause should keep that in check. 

Since flavor and mechanics were a big issue, I went back closer to what this design initially was - a vampire with a sac ability. It is in general on par with what I wanted Madman to do, which was sacing a creature to rise from the grave the next morning (or night in this case).

Midnight Immortalist

Creature - Vampire
, Sacrifice a non-Vampire creature you control: Return the sacrificed creature from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. It is a black Vampire in addition to its other types.
"It is too late. My blood is in your veins." - The Lost Boys
2/2

I think one thing that needs criticism is this grading system. Somebody can get 3 strikes and still beat out somebody with one strike? Guess I'll take comments from Rumor and Eph, and if it isn't fixed in this version I'll resubmit. I'm guessing my original design was near impossible to get rid of, making it broken?

Fantasies Unwind 
Enchantment
"Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind." -Phantom of the Opera

Old card:

Self-Awareness 
Enchantment

―William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Wise Mentor 
Creature - Human Advisor
2/4

David Levithan, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

The runoff round is closed. Judges, please choose the contestant who you feel best demonstrated the characteristics described in the criteria. As this requires unanimous choice, please discuss the choice amongst yourselves until you are ready to select a person to rejoin the contest.

"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Brief comments:

POSValkir1: I think I would have run with "up to 3 nonland permanent cards with different names", just for a little bit of simplicity.  Beyond that, I think this is a -much- better card than the previous submission.

Franken_Stein: Unfortunately, changing the name does very little in addressing the issues I personally had with the card.

SimonGlume: A little better.  I like that it has a limitation to it in that it can only sac non-Vampires, and has a mana cost attached to the ability.  On the flip side, the ability is very cheap and exceedingly good at helping you dodge removal.  In addition, this is a 2/2 for with no downside.

theatog: Sadly, I actually enjoyed your previous card more than this one. 

silasw I think you also did a decent job with the runoff criteria.  Turning it into a creature helped mesh the flavor text with the mechanic much better, in my opinion, though it's still not fantastic.

If I were to rank just these five, from best to worst:
Show
5: POSValkir1
4: silasw
3: SimonGlume 
2: theatog
1: Franken_Stein
on the bright side. I can stop losing hair. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Thanks, Arazlam.

SimonGlume: A little better.  I like that it has a limitation to it in that it can only sac non-Vampires, and has a mana cost attached to the ability.  On the flip side, the ability is very cheap and exceedingly good at helping you dodge removal.  In addition, this is a 2/2 for with no downside.

OK. I know I'm not paranoid now. The cost is and has always been . This is the second time something fishy happened with my grade. Could I please have this corrected? Also, Legion's Initiative.

It appears there was something wrong with the HTML. One of the black mana doesn't translate if you try to quote my design, so when Detektor quoted it the black mana vanished.
It appears there was something wrong with the HTML. One of the black mana doesn't translate if you try to quote my design, so when Detektor quoted it the black mana vanished.

If that's the case, then fair enough.  It's certainly better at that cost.  Overall, however, that wouldn't change your placement in my list.
Cromments
POSValkir1's Veiled Realities
I sorta like this. The flavor ties in much better, with “no idea of their absolute nature” referring to how all your things can spontaneously become vastly different things. Keeping a high-ish cost on the activation and limiting till end of turn should balance it out on the power side. Fits right in with such esteemed companions as a 7CC blue enchantment with Cast Through Time and Eye of the Storm.

Franken_Stein's Life-Cursed Wretch
Well, I didn’t really have an issue with the original. Perhaps because I took the quote at face value? It seems like it’s for something that wants to die, and this does that. Making it a zombie muddies it up a little since I have a hard time imagining a zombie doing something “triumphantly”.

SimonGlume's Midnight Immortalist
I figured the original wasn’t so bad, since I didn’t think triggering Morbid and stuff was that big of a deal (though I can see how it might be). This one, though, seems way better. Granted, you can only flicker once per dude, but I feel like reusing “when this enters/leaves play” abilities on all your other guys is much better than just triggering “whenever another creature comes into play/dies” effects (because there tend to be more of the former). Removal-dodging for your team seems pretty good, too, and all the vampire tribal stuff is just gravy. It would be very interesting if them coming back relied on this still being around, giving you some nice tension. A more impressive and costly body would help flesh out a “king vampire” style card that this seems to go for.

theatog's Fantasies Unwind
Quibbles: Name doesn’t sound like an enchantment, and repeating the whole name in the flavor text doesn’t read well.
It’s okay? I mean, not terrible but doesn’t really excite me anyway. It feels like it would play like Six-y Beast, where there are only really two choices and you have a 50/50 chance any given time. Actually, this requires keeping not only a good card in your hand to play for free, but also a second good card so you even have a shot at getting the first one. Is a chance at a free spell worth not playing 2+ good cards and a 5 mana enchantment that might whiff?

silasw's Wise Mentor
Well, it’s an improvement. A one-shot dude wears this effect better than a busywork enchantment. The flavor is okay, but the name is a bit generic. Unintentional side-effect of showing off your next seven draws?

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
We appear to be in agreement, then. POSValkir1 survives another round.
From nothing came teeth.
That was a nice quick consensus. POSValkir1 lives to design another day!

Therefore, the contestants eliminated this round are:

• Franken_Stein

• magicpablo666

• silasw

• SimonGlume

• theatog

The next round is coming in a few minutes.
;_;

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Wait what, mown's lover is who?
Sign In to post comments