YMTC Idol 11: Round 1

242 posts / 0 new
Last post
Woo I'm in the top 24! Of Rumor's list
Yay! I'm doing pretty well - and here I was worrying the judges wouldn't be impressed with a 1 mana green ramp spell.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Its a pretty cool spell.
Was mine really so bad? 
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Grades plz.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Was mine really so bad? 

It's a very strange card.

That's all I feel qualified to say. You should probably get comments from the judges.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
I won't take up lots of space, but, here's my personal thoughts on POSValkir's entry:
Comments
I think it has something to do with the fact that Morph is, possibly always, a cost to play face down and a variable cost to turn face up. But it's a bit unclear in your text whether the cards in hand are played face down for or for - being a customized Morph, should probably have an unkeyworded, full-text version of Morph, instead of referencing Morph.

Otherwise, I see this as a pretty fair way to slow down creature-based decks while having the drawback of not being able to see the actual creatures being played. However, I'm not sure it's fair to kill "Enters the battlefield" effects at the same time, splashable in all colors. The minimum cost of mana probably makes it as easily playable as Torpor Orb, but the way I look at it, this is a really scary upgrade of Orb.

Can't really comment on flavor text 'cause, I don't actually read books, haha, but I'm sure Jin-Gitaxias would appreciate something like this - alot.
I write comments as I go, it helps me decide how I feel about a particular card.

Hope you aren't here
5) Elzaban_the_Ethereal's Ace Executioner
4) magicpablo666's Erasure of Night
3) ulyth's The Master
2) Dr_Demento's Volunteer Army / Mangled Corpses
1) POSValkir1's The Great Synthesis

Thoughts
Glasir
Almas, High Exorcist

Was a little concerned about power level, but considering Dark Impostor (quite different, but close enough) it should be fine. That first ability reads SO well, I love it. As flavor-licious as “Cowards can’t block Warriors”. The Doctor gives you brownie points, too.

Silly_Dragons
Transmute

I think three life might not be equal compared to the other options. Three life for an otherwise free 2/2, or for 2 mana seem like really good bargains, and on the other end, three life is pretty terrible to gain considering the investment. Four might have been a more even number, considering all the possibility this card provides. That said, I really like the idea behind it. The incredible flexibility is mechanically appealing and works perfectly with the flavor.

ParadOxymoron
Crown of Kings

Is the slight similarity to Daybreak Coronet intended, both being crowns? This is so close to feeling like a green card (hexproof is not very white, and the “strongest fighter wins” flavor) but I guess it can squeak by as white. I like the tension between giving it vigilance (to participate in more combat) and the knowledge that you have to keep him unhurt enough to retain the crown afterwards.

Franken_Stein
Death Seeker

Falls into the same brain-category for me as Disciple of Bolas. A neat little card that can provide some gas for a Phytoburst/Fling deck to play with. Name is a little boring, but I guess it works.

tyranno6
Deliquesce

I, and probably lots of people, envisioned this as eventually being a green mechanic.  However, it seems to be right at home in blue as well. I mean, blue turns things into islands already, and turns creatures into other things, so turning creatures into islands just makes sense.

SimonGlume
Immortal Madman

Free recurrence on self-sacrifice is a neat thing that I’d like to try and break. The chosen flavor fits well, too.

Arazlam
Accursed Destiny

Not quite Verdant Succession, VERY fun with Bloodbond March. The flavor is pretty good, but not a home-run.

FrankyFourFingers
Ancestral Transgressions

All nonlands might be too good, limiting it to creatures might be safer. Probably the best finisher a Mill deck could use. Flavor is okay, I’m not really making the “unpleasant fact” -> “Transgression” connection.

Echo_Robin
Deathbound Paladin

I was going to complain that you could just say “sacrifice a creature” because that includes himself, but that overlooks the neat gamestate created when he becomes a liability, by your opponent exploiting his 1 toughness in order to get rid of your other dudes.

Imidazoline
Hoard Existence

Cumulative upkeep is optional (you can ditch it at any time), which really kills the coolness of this. You can play it as a monoblack undercosted Time Warp and it only gets better from there.

Libe
Cartel Legbreaker

Costing five, it’s almost assured that your opponent can pay, so having the ability go away when he’s paid is a little underwhelming, but that’s a minor fault. An okay card, with pretty good flavor.

theatog
Maddening Fantasies

Nice to see that Black is allowed to get in on the “really fun and/or obnoxious enchantments in multiplayer” game. I’d at least try it out.

silasw
Self-Awareness

Don’t quite know what to say. It’s not bad, but doesn’t excite me either. “Same name” cards are tricky when they rely on chance. I dunno, it’s solid, I guess?

Mono789
Consciousness Probe

Deep down, I feel that this card, like Memory Plunder, should only get non-permanent spells. Something about stealing a creature or other physical thing out of their head feels strange. Strictly mechanically, though, I guess there’s nothing wrong with it. I mean, it’s worse than Mind Control for anything worth stealing.

Issilith
Cursed Seer

I’m going to assume this doesn’t break the game with the cleanup step. It might break Channel or Bloodrush, though, either power-level wise or rules-wise.

Riorvard
Reaper's Recess

Not really a fan, since you can plunk it down and wait to win (you either block with your indestructible dudes or just take hits, since you’re gaining the life every turn), but I guess it’s a lot of mana for a slow win, so I guess it’s not that bad. Just… boring.

Rush_Clasic
Uncertain Knowledge

Dangerously close to being too cute for the sake of cuteness here, but luckily this isn’t as useless at it might first appear. Channel, Bloodrush, or feeding discards come to the rescue. (I’d say revealing the cards means they’re not very ‘uncertain’ though)

od256
Voice of the People

“Can’t” trumps “can”, but does “can’t” trump “can’t”? Let’s hope so. Flashy ability aside, 4/2 first strike for 4 is above the curve, and the flavor being specifically about blowing up a building seems to clash with the rest of the card.

razorborne
Impossibility Engine

You got your math in my Magic! I feel like this skirts close to the “too much headspace needed for what it does”, but slips in just under it. Could be neat when deckbuilding so you have all the ‘holes’ covered so you can get a big dude, like building Evolve.

ChaosLight
Road to Somewhere

Nonbasic tutoring to play seems cheap on this compared to Expedition Map and Sylvan Scrying, but I guess not horrendously so. Flavor is okay, if a bit generic.

Purple_Shrimp
Bluster

Neat, I like it. Works well with white’s pacifisms and tap-downs. 4/4 seems a tad large for a Knight (considering we just got done with 2/2 knights) but anything smaller erodes the usefulness…

Dr_Demento
Volunteer Army / Mangled Corpses

I know white is supposed to get efficient small creatures, but 4/4 isn’t exactly small. Attacking each turn is also incredibly red, which is kinda opposite to white. The flavor is okay, but not particularly inspiring (both quotes rhyming is a little neat I suppose). With a reflavor, this would be a pretty good suicide-black-type card.

Fenix.
Comfortably Numb

White for the damage prevention? Seems like a better fit for blue (temporal delay on the damage, being ‘smart enough’ to figure a way out) or black (Can trade losing your mind for losing your life). The quote seems like a bit of a stretch, seeing as how nothing is beautiful and sometimes things still hurt.

Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Ace Executioner

I’m sure there are probably neat interactions I’m forgetting about, but this feels a lot like Death Pits of Rath. I realize where the flavor comes from, but it seems a tad too goofy.

POSValkir1
The Great Synthesis

It’s a little jarring to see something with a specific Magic™-al meaning (Phyrexian mana, along with a Phyrexian-ish name) paired with a distinctly non-Magic™-al flavor text. The distinction between cards in play requiring their actual costs and cards in hand just needing colorless (which is mostly irrelevant because they’re going to be in play when it’s time to morph) is strange. Also, the flavor is kinda wrecked considering you can just unmorph your dudes. Ixidron is much cleaner, and fits the flavor better, too.

Shazzeh
Callous Regime

I know it’s a regime, but does it have to be so oppressive? With any sort of life-per-turn, you kinda shut down creature-based decks. I guess this costs 5 and they still get to swing, but still. A little more worrying: How does this interact with the Untap symbol? It reads to me like you can get as many activations as you life for 1 life per go, which is frightening.

Morgothra
Traveller's Choice

I don’t think the ‘drawback’ is big enough to get away at costing 1. There are very few opportunities where getting to choose 1 of 2 different lands in your deck will be actually bad, and getting another land in the ‘yard is pretty much an upside as well (deck-thinning and various Golgari shenanigans)

Steinhauser
Martyr's Anthem

Does a creature that gets Murdered during combat count as “dying in combat”? A neat wording phrase, but might be a tad ambiguous. Probably too strong, considering one dead creature makes it already better than Glorious Anthem for cheaper.

13th_Horseman
Primordial Ancients

Throwing this guy in any monogreen deck seems nuts. Sure, you lose out on the power from other colors, but when EVERY SPELL replaces itself, I think you wouldn’t mind. Especially considering this guy is a super-bear. It might be more balanced (and make the flavor work better) if it was all-around bigger.

ulyth
The Master

I can’t tell if this is amazingly strong or terrible, but I do think it’s pretty unfun. You don’t get to do your things, and your opponents don’t get to do their things. Sure, you get to do their things, but  I don’t think that evens out the fun spectrum. I feel like Mindslaver was neat because it’s a one-shot. Also, I’m not getting the flavor here.

magicpablo666
Erasure of Night

I just… don’t really like this. I think it would slow games down a lot, and allows you to not even worry about the board state unless they can oneshot you. Seems like it would be a real drag to play against.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Yay safe and generic!
Uncertain Knowledge

Dangerously close to being too cute for the sake of cuteness here, but luckily this isn’t as useless at it might first appear. Channel, Bloodrush, or feeding discards come to the rescue. (I’d say revealing the cards means they’re not very ‘uncertain’ though)

Ideas that have no way to be used are certainly uncertain! But I get your point. "Unrealized Knowledge" may have fit better.
Excellent, Kavu' s card assassination fails to sink me! I love to fight another day!
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Thanks for the comments. :>
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I would really appreciate if people other than current contestants would refrain from posting cards.
If you have an awesome idea that fits this round's criteria, please post it in the 'YMTC Idol Rejects' thread.

Eph's Little List of Pain
5. magicpablo666
4. Riorvard
3. silasw
2. Franken_Stein
1. theatog

Other stuff
SimonGlume, POSValkir1 and Elzaban_the_Ethereal: You almost made the list. Be careful.

tyranno6, Rush_Classic, ParadOxymoron: Keep being awesome.

Favorite card of the round: Morgothra's Traveller's Choice.

is 1. = the worst card of the round?

can I ask for comments?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Thanks for the comments. :>

yes this. thanks Kavu

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Hey look! I'm doing Detektor's job.

Compiled list.
[sblock Eph]5. magicpablo666
4. Riorvard
3. silasw
2. Franken_Stein
1. theatog[/sblock]
[sblock Rumor]5: Franken_Stein
4: silasw
3: Elzaban_the_Ethereal
2: magicpablo666
1: SimonGlume[/sblock]
[sblock Kavu]5) Elzaban_the_Ethereal
4) magicpablo666
3) ulyth
2) Dr_Demento
1) POSValkir1[/sblock]

[sblock Total Scores]First place is worth 5 points, second is worth 4, and so on.

magicpablo666: 1 + 4 + 2 = 7
silasw: 3 + 2 + 0 = 5
Franken_Stein: 4 + 1 + 0 = 5
theatog: 5 + 0 + 0 = 5
SimonGlume: 0 + 5 + 0 = 5
POSValkir1: 0 + 0 + 5 = 5

Elzaban_the_Ethereal: 0 + 3 + 1 = 4
Dr_Demento: 0 + 0 + 4 = 4
ulyth: 0 + 0 + 3 = 3
Riorvard: 2 + 0 + 0 = 2

Interesting notes:

1. All of the judges used different symbols to create their lists. Eph used periods, Rumor colons, and Kavu parentheses.
2. None of the "worst cards" on any of the judges lists appeared on any other list, so they're all tied at 5 points each.

Looks like we have a five way tie at 5 points each. Wat do, Detek?[/sblock]
Also, if Rumor or Eph could give commentations on my card, that would make me a giddy schoolgirl.

If not though, that's fine too.
Oh. I guess I should've listened to my heart. At least then I would've left with a little dignity. Thank you for the chance. Good luck other contestants.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Comments on Comments:
Show
The Great Synthesis

It’s a little jarring to see something with a specific Magic™-al meaning (Phyrexian mana, along with a Phyrexian-ish name) paired with a distinctly non-Magic™-al flavor text. The distinction between cards in play requiring their actual costs and cards in hand just needing colorless (which is mostly irrelevant because they’re going to be in play when it’s time to morph) is strange. Also, the flavor is kinda wrecked considering you can just unmorph your dudes. Ixidron is much cleaner, and fits the flavor better, too.

I don't quite get what you mean by cards in play requiring actual costs.  The card explicity states converted mana cost.  It just makes people play all creatures face down for ...after that they can morph them.

As for unmorphing them ruining the flavor...
1)  Flavor can only be matched so far without breaking the game, many of the flavor texts on actual cards don't synch 100%, because if it did, the card would be way OP, or they purposefully mismatched it a bit to make it playable (which is what I did.)
2)  Its not really against the flavor.  Some cards may never get unmorphed, ETB guys will probably not have any effect (=not knowing their true form).  Besides that, Jin-Gitaxis has blueprints and is known to use his toads (or whatever) to create the creatures he needs.

Although, i do get the Jarring Magic, Non-Magic thing.  I guess I could have gotten rid of Phyrexian mana and just had the less elegant "You may pay 2 life instead of paying when you cast this" to disassociate the flavor of Phyrexia.  Out of curiosity, would that have led to a better score?  I thought I'd work in the confines of the existing stratum.

Ixidron I was unaware of...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Comments on Comments:
Show
The Great Synthesis

I don't quite get what you mean by cards in play requiring actual costs.  The card explicity states converted mana cost.  It just makes people play all creatures face down for ...after that they can morph them.

1)  Flavor can only be matched so far without breaking the game, many of the flavor texts on actual cards don't synch 100%, because if it did, the card would be way OP, or they purposefully mismatched it a bit to make it playable (which is what I did.)
2)  Its not really against the flavor.  Some cards may never get unmorphed, ETB guys will probably not have any effect (=not knowing their true form).  Besides that, Jin-Gitaxis has blueprints and is known to use his toads (or whatever) to create the creatures he needs.

Although, i do get the Jarring Magic, Non-Magic thing.  I guess I could have gotten rid of Phyrexian mana and just had the less elegant "You may pay 2 life instead of paying when you cast this" to disassociate the flavor of Phyrexia.  Out of curiosity, would that have led to a better score?  I thought I'd work in the confines of the existing stratum.

Ixidron I was unaware of...

CMC is just a number, not a cost. :>
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Oh. I guess I should've listened to my heart. At least then I would've left with a little dignity. Thank you for the chance. Good luck other contestants.

If it's any consolation, I think you're a pretty cool guy pablo.
CMC is just a number, not a cost. :>

When he says actual cost, I interpreted that as including color mana.  I guess Decembra comments make sense as it clearly will cause confusion, but Morph is covered under Rule 702.35 which explicity states all creatures with morph are played face down for .

It also states they are turned face up for their morph cost.

So, for example:  Ixidron in your hand would have Morph .  It would cost to cast.  It would then be a 2/2 creature with Morph .  It would then cost to turn face up.

...which (to me) is hilariously ironic.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
I rarely comment on grades, but I was honestly surprised mine was rated so low. Granted, the optimist in me likes to believe that that's partly a testament to how good other entries were, but it still leaves me thinking that I'm just not on the same wavelength as our esteemed judges. I'm crossing my fingers that I make it to the next round so I can try a different route to impress (or at least to not disappoint).
You did...I assume.

Seems like there needs to be a 4 men enter 1 man stays kinda thing between me, Simon, Atog, and FStein. 
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
The Master 

I can’t tell if this is amazingly strong or terrible, but I do think it’s pretty unfun. You don’t get to do your things, and your opponents don’t get to do their things. Sure, you get to do their things, but  I don’t think that evens out the fun spectrum. I feel like Mindslaver was neat because it’s a one-shot. Also, I’m not getting the flavor here.

I admit that it is pretty unfun. I was operating strictly on flavor. Perhaps I assumed too much in terms of flavor because the quote is referring to BDSM, which isn't apparent just from the text. I don't know if you know what Fifty Shades of Grey is about or what BDSM is. Those that are heavily into BDSM, whether a master or a slave, like to teeter on the edge of pleasure and pain, whether physical or emotional (and others like to leave out the harm in favor of just playing around). I illustrated the BDSM culture through the render, the name, and the context of the quote by relating to pleasure and pain; meaning "pleasure" was shown through controlling opponents (like a master), and "pain" was shown through enduring upkeep costs and opponents being controlled (like a slave).

So I guess I tried too hard? 
You did...I assume.

Seems like there needs to be a 4 men enter 1 man stays kinda thing between me, Simon, Atog, and FStein. 

Five man.
You did...I assume.

Five man.

Oh yeah, Silas.

Seems like the easiet thing is just for Detek to rank them himself.  Bottom 4 drop.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
The Master 

I admit that it is pretty unfun. I was operating strictly on flavor. Perhaps I assumed too much in terms of flavor because the quote is referring to BDSM, which isn't apparent just from the text. I don't know if you know what Fifty Shades of Grey is about or what BDSM is. Those that are heavily into BDSM, whether a master or a slave, like to teeter on the edge of pleasure and pain, whether physical or emotional (and others like to leave out the harm in favor of just playing around). I illustrated the BDSM culture through the render, the name, and the context of the quote by relating to pleasure and pain; meaning "pleasure" was shown through controlling opponents (like a master), and "pain" was shown through enduring upkeep costs and opponents being controlled (like a slave).

So I guess I tried too hard? 

Anything that captures BDSM should be a perfect 10.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

Really? Actually it is, because I did not know that you thought that and the feelings are totally reciprocated.

I suppose I can take solace in the fact that all three judges agreed my card was bottom five material. If I'm going to lose, I want to lose hard. But, well, my heart was not in the design. I think I know what I would've done to fix it. I might go post the version in my head. Oh and also,

Tyranno: I totally went to my local bookery and purchased A Naked Singularity. Not quite a hundred pages in, but I must thank you for mentioning it and giving what I would call a recommendation to it. It really curdles my milk in all the right ways!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Ah yes, and, especially now, I would love comments from each Judge.

Knew I should have taken the cowardly route and done something less drastic, that wouldn't have drawn love or hate...I though this card hovered safely in the middle and only pull a few strong emotions...I was wrong...or the Judges just so happen to the the few lol.

Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Ah yes, and, especially now, I would love comments from each Judge.

Knew I should have taken the cowardly route and done something less drastic, that wouldn't have drawn love or hate...I though this card hovered safely in the middle and only pull a few strong emotions...I was wrong...or the Judges just so happen to the the few lol.

I think that in this stage of a contest you should probably always play it safe.

There's a great chance that people trying to impress will do something crazy that someone won't like.

I think the best or most original designs should be kept for the last part of the contest.

But that's just my opinion. <- Playing it safe.

lol, thats a good opinion.  I had the same one, otherwise I would have had my card affect all non-land permanents...

I have no delusions of winning this thing, just wanted to make it three rounds. 
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Elimination Points:

• Riorvard: 2

• ulyth: 3

• Dr_Demento: 4

• Elzaban_the_Ethereal: 4

• Franken_Stein 5

• POSValkir1: 5

• silasw: 5

• SimonGlume: 5

• theatog: 5

• magicpablo666: 7

Since we are eliminating five players this round, we will need to do a runoff between the players in red to determine which one will survive the round. Normally speaking ties would be settled in a more efficient way, but usually they don't occur between five people.

Round 1 Runoff Criteria:

Taking criticism well is an important part of improving at any creative discipline. One part of this virtue inolves being gracious and accepting negative responses to a card without lashing out and derailing the entire thread. Another part of it involves listening to your peers and using their considered opinions to help develop your skills.

Assignment:
Create an improved version of the card you submitted this round OR in the audition round.

You have two days (until midnight PST on Thursday). Please let me know if you will be out of town or otherwise incapable of doing so. You may consult the judges for comments if you have not already done so. After all five submissions are in, the judges will confer and choose the contestant who has best demonstrated the aforementioned abilities to rejoin the other 25. 
Broken Versions...:
Show
Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

Darksteel Relic breaks the bejesus out of this...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Exile a permanent you control, then put a card with converted mana cost X exiled with Veiled Realities onto the battlefield.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

ETB breaks this...and I think it breaks itself...and I don't think it hit the flavor well enough...

Veiled Realities            
Enchantment
When Veiled Realities enters the battlefield, search your library for 3 different artifact, creature, or enchantment cards, exile them, then shuffle your library.
:  Target permanent you control becomes a copy of a card exiled with Veiled Realities until end of turn.

Reasons for Changes:
Show
TLDR 1: Unmorphing didn't hit flavor, this design keeps your opponents guessing as to what is what.
Show
Well, its a 100% change isn't it...so first:  
I thought about Kavu's comments on unmorphing them ruins the flavor.  I didn't agree, but figured it was somewhere to start.  I wanted to make the morph ability less permanent.  No matter what I thought of, I couldn't re-hide the nature of the creature once revealed.  I had an idea of exiling a creature for and then popping it onto the battlefield whenever you wanted, which led to "What if I mimed a creature."  That was wordy and complicated.  So I thought, what if I just had a set number of cards that any card could be turned into...and then I got the above abilities.  Which I actually think work better and go a long way to convincing me Kavu had a point.

TLDR 2: Phyrexian mana is a selfish flavor hog Tongue Out, no more of that (also, wanting a card out early doesn't justify it coming out early).  
Show
So, unfortuneatly Phyrexian mana exists in a flavorful way and the comments of Kavu's I agree most with is the jarring of two universes.  I also think it would be inappropriate to add to the casting cost simply because I want the card out earlier.  Therefore, we have a mono-blue card that comes out when it comes out.

Finally, the name changes for obvious reasons.

Design Thoughts: 
Show
I couldn't think of a jaw dropping name for the card, but in Gathering different words that popped into my head to ensure the word hit the flavor (Sever did not...), I tried Veiled and found a nice historical tie.

I think the design could probably effect the opponents permanents as well, and more fully hit the flavor, but there are too many cards which can be used with this that utterly shatter the color pie...using 0/0 creatures to destroy lands, etc etc.

I costed the card at 7 CMC and left the ability at 4, It allows the card to naturally produce its effect twice the round after it hits the board.  I feel the two in the activation cost is necessary given the power-level of interactions this card can produce.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Is it against the rules to post my card in the main forums for a larger breadth of comments...

You can do whatever you want (short of asking other people to redesign your card for you) so long as it shows that you are able to take advantage of criticism. That's what the runoff is testing.

it's just a single card if they want one as a promo too a set i'd have a share in
NO WAR

Cartoon The Fish

Got blocked out of twitter

looks like Mtg hasn't given up using the word "battlefield" which is completely unnecessary as the board is be considered the default state

Impossibility Engine-
Artifact Creature
Impossibility Engine is every creature type that no other creature is. 
As Impossibility Engine enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each player's upkeep, Impossibility Engine's power becomes equal to the lowest positive number that no other creature's power is. The same is true for toughness. (0 is not positive.)
"Everyone knows that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the scientific mind."~The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
0/0

so for instance if there was a 1/1, a 2/1, and a 3/3, it'd be a 4/2. I used an upkeep trigger to a) avoid messiness with layers, and b) allow its toughness to accurately represent how it will fair in combat. like, if it's a 5/5 and if blocks the only 4/4, it'll die if it's a continuous check, and that's weird. I chose not to do it for the creature types because they matter less, and the layers thing doesn't really crop up there. it's mostly for flavor, since it can't really interact with most lords as they are of the types the pump. but the flavor it adds seems worth it. it's everything that doesn't exist! also the way layers work I'm pretty sure if you have two Engines out they'll both be whatever amount of creature types. Wording is from concerted effort. also yes the last ability is both a replacement and a trigger, depending on when it occurs. I'm pretty sure the rules can handle that and if they can't as written it's a simple fix. I just didn't want there to be an opening to shock it before it got big.

Rumor and Eph can I have comments pleese

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Death Seeker |
Creature - Human Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
1/1

If I could get comments from Rumor and Ephemeron please, though I'm fairly certain I know where the issue lies.

Life-Cursed Wretch |
Creature - Zombie Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
1/1

Don't worry, I'm a doctor.

remade card

Immortal Madman 
Creature - Human
Sacrifice Immortal Madman: Return Immortal Madman from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones  who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
1/1

I actually stand by this design all in all, but I see how some might find it bothersome how hard it is to kill. It was compared to Mortus Strider, which is a tough comparison since I'd argue there isn't really a comparison for this. However, going on this, Mortus Strider is a bad common, and mine would be geared at higher rarity, which enables more power or lower cost. Unlike Strider, it isn't recurring in the same turn, which is one of the reasons Strider is at CMC 3. I'd agree that a 3 CMC would be fair for this card, but it probably wouldn't be any good whatsoever then. I think a better comparison would be Bitterblossom, which gives one creature a turn. I know that's a broken card, but this is wayyyyyy less powerful. This doesn't pump out multiple creatures and only triggers etb (or ltb) triggers. I personally like the flavor and mechanic, but taste is too objective to argue. I think it was a risky play being a creature that can't die and etb every other turn and then leaves, as it's basically a self combo card in a way. But the "at the beginning of upkeep" clause should keep that in check. 

Since flavor and mechanics were a big issue, I went back closer to what this design initially was - a vampire with a sac ability. It is in general on par with what I wanted Madman to do, which was sacing a creature to rise from the grave the next morning (or night in this case).

Midnight Immortalist

Creature - Vampire
, Sacrifice a non-Vampire creature you control: Return the sacrificed creature from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. It is a black Vampire in addition to its other types.
"It is too late. My blood is in your veins." - The Lost Boys
2/2

I think one thing that needs criticism is this grading system. Somebody can get 3 strikes and still beat out somebody with one strike? Guess I'll take comments from Rumor and Eph, and if it isn't fixed in this version I'll resubmit. I'm guessing my original design was near impossible to get rid of, making it broken?
For everyone competing...Kavu's comments are on page 17.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Sorry for the confusion, I actually did slightly misread your card. I assumed that the first ability was referring to mana cost, not CMC. It's probably because I didn't see an :Xm:, like the second ability has (which the first should also technically have, since CMC is just a number). Since ability 1 and 2 are both trying to do the same thing, you may as well just collapse them into one ability to save on card-space and brain-space.

I realize flavor text occasionally exaggerates, but what I see here is flavor text that says "We [...] can gain no idea of their absolute nature", which conflicts with the idea that you can just pay some mana and get a pretty good idea of your creature's 'absolute nature'. "Some cards may never get unmorphed" just isn't the same.

Why does this need to be castable without blue mana? I can see why you gave it Phyrexian mana, because you gave it a Phyrexian name and implied Phyrexian flavor. The problem is, you don't actually have Phyrexian flavor, you have a Lovecraft quote. Mr. Lovecraft is fighting with the Phyrexians on the rest of the card for control of the flavor, and one of them's gotta give.

I feel like this card is a victim of tunnel vision. You've got this idea for Phyrexian Morph World, and between the text to make it work within the rules, and the restriction of the round, it's getting distorted. Sometimes you've got to take your idea-clay and mush it back up to start again, because your creation is getting out of hand.

@ulyth: I know all about Fifty Shades and its... shuddering ectoplasm, but I tried not to think about that because Magic is 13+.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Sign In to post comments