YMTC Idol 11: Round 1

242 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have no response to that.

Not My Entry

Okay. I should probably be making a card for this if I plan on winning it. I'm afraid that my thoughts ran all over the place during the course of the last few days. I spent moments considering the sorts of things that my quote might appear on. The effect I chose is an odd one that is not for everyone. I'm hoping that the creativity element will be enough to push it to the positive edge of the scale. I also think that the flavour is pretty interesting. Let us hope that these jaded veterans are not tired of odd things:

The Moment of a Lifetime
Enchantment - Aura
Flash
Enchant target permanent that performed an action this turn.
Enchanted permanent repeats each action, and no other action, it performed the turn The Moment of a Lifetime was attached to it, during the phase that it originally performed that action, each turn, if able. (Actions include, but are not limited to, attacking, blocking, activating mana abilities, and non-mana abilities.)

"The sun shonehaving no alternative, on the nothing new" 
- Samuel Beckett, Murphy

Rulings:
XXX.X: The turn is noted. If the action occurs during the permanent's controller's turn, then it shall do so forever and always, if able.
XXX.Y: If TMoaL is cast at the beginning of a turn, each action of the permanent it enchants will be noted. These are the actions that must be performed from now on.
XXX.Z: Actions are, as of now, attacking, blocking, activating an ability, activating a mana ability, and activating a loyalty ability.

Author's Notes:
Hmmm. So, in some cases this card will be used for Land Destruction and Planeswalker Destruction (Maybe more elegant that Dreadbore?), and maybe Artifact Destruction as well. It can neuter creatures as well. Most enchantments are immune. I think the main issues the judges may be concerned over are elegance and memory. I'm afraid that the card looks more complicated than it actually is. I wish I could shorten the text, but I do not think that this is an option. As for memory, I also think this will not be an issue for most of the time. Rarely do permanents perform more than a single action in a turn, and it is likely that TMoaL will only be cast targeting permanents that performed a single action. Thank you for your time. Thank you for being you.

Well, I put a lot of time into that, but I'm pretty sure it won't go over well, so I made a new card.

Final Submission:

Erasure of Night
Enchantment
At the beginning of each endstep each player's life total becomes what it was at the beginning of the current turn's upkeep.

- Samuel Beckett, Murphy 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Not my final enentry, although I wish it could be, just something in case I something happens and I can't make a card tommorow.

Marshmellow Stallion 1GW
Creature - Elemental Horse
Prevent all non-lethal damage that would be dealt to or by ~. Whenever damage is prevented that way, choose one - You gain that much life; Or, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
"IT'S SO FLUFFY!" - Despicable Me
1/1
Edited my initial post with my final submission.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I should really get on this

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I've finalized my submission...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Cursed Seer
Creature - Human Mystic
If you would discard a card, instead lose 2 life.
:Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/1
“All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them.” --Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Suicide looters?  I'd play it.
ONETWO-DAY WARNING
ONE-DAY WARNING

You have approximately five days (until 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 12)

That's about two days, right?

(either way is fine, i just want to know what priority this should have. thanks!)

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Final submission.

Reaper's Recess

Enchantment
All creatures are indestructible.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls. You gain that much life.
"The following day, no one died. The fact, due to being absolutely contrary to the rules of life, caused in the people's spirits an enormous distress."
—José Saramago, Death with Interruptions

Shortened a bit. Here is the full length version:

"The following day, no one died. The fact, due to being absolutely contrary to the rules of life, caused in the people's spirits an enormous distress, an effect in all aspects justified, for all we have to do is to remember that, in the forty volumes of world history, there have never been any news, not even a single sample case, of any occurrence of a similar phenomenon, of having a full day passed, in the whole of its prodigal twenty four hours, without a single death by illness, a fatal fall, a suicide taken to its conclusion, nothing at all."

Free translation. I take it we have some license with regard to flavor text length this round?
ONE-DAY WARNING

You have approximately five days (until 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 12)

That's about two days, right?

(either way is fine, i just want to know what priority this should have. thanks!)

Yeah, should have been two. Brain misfire.

I take it we have some license with regard to flavor text length this round?

Judge's discretion. I would suggest keeping the total text length within the bounds of printability in a modern set, though.

*insert joke about using an entire Saramago paragraph for flavour text* 
This is my submission (for now):

Uncertain Knowledge
Sorcery
Draw three cards and reveal them from your hand for the rest of the game. You can't play those cards.
"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."
—Augustus Waters
, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This is my alternate in case I get chicken:

Aspire
Instant
Choose target spell you don't control. Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland card. That spell's controller may counter his or her spell. Otherwise, cast that card without paying its mana cost. Put the revealed cards on the bottom of your library in any order.
"And maybe by imagining these futures we can make them real, and maybe not, but either way we must imagine them."
Quentin Jacobsen
, Paper Towns by John Green
OK I made a card, yay!

And I even sort of like it, so it's probably my final submission.

Voice of the People
Creature - Human Rogue
First strike
Creatures can't be prevented from attacking.
"The building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by the people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world."
-V

4/2

Notes
From "V for Vendetta" said by V to Evey.

The idea is stop effects like Blazing Archon, Propaganda, and Pacifism. It would allow detained creatures to attack. On a technical note, it would ignore Restictions in 508.1c and you would not need to pay any costs in 508.1g-i, but still mut be an elligible choice in 508.1a.

From a flavorful standpoint, The quote is more about the ability than the creature, and I could have just put the ability by itself on an enchantment, but I believe it feels better having a creature to lead the revolution.

Level 1 Judge

TWELVE-HOUR WARNING
Impossibility Engine-
Artifact Creature
Impossibility Engine is every creature type that no other creature is. 
As Impossibility Engine enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each player's upkeep, Impossibility Engine's power becomes equal to the lowest positive number that no other creature's power is. The same is true for toughness. (0 is not positive.)
"Everyone knows that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the scientific mind."~The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
0/0

so for instance if there was a 1/1, a 2/1, and a 3/3, it'd be a 4/2. I used an upkeep trigger to a) avoid messiness with layers, and b) allow its toughness to accurately represent how it will fair in combat. like, if it's a 5/5 and if blocks the only 4/4, it'll die if it's a continuous check, and that's weird. I chose not to do it for the creature types because they matter less, and the layers thing doesn't really crop up there. it's mostly for flavor, since it can't really interact with most lords as they are of the types the pump. but the flavor it adds seems worth it. it's everything that doesn't exist! also the way layers work I'm pretty sure if you have two Engines out they'll both be whatever amount of creature types. Wording is from concerted effort. also yes the last ability is both a replacement and a trigger, depending on when it occurs. I'm pretty sure the rules can handle that and if they can't as written it's a simple fix. I just didn't want there to be an opening to shock it before it got big.

"Everyone knows that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the scientific mind."~The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem

THAT'S MY FAVORITE CHAPTER OF MY FAVORITE BOOK!!!!!!!

My ex-girlfriend, who gave it to me, says that chapter is infinitely funnier if you're a math major. Are you a math major?

Anywho, my respect and love for you has just, like, quadrupled. 

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

My ex-girlfriend, who gave it to me, says that chapter is infinitely funnier if you're a math major. Are you a math major?

I am not a math major, but I am a recreational math enthusiast.

also yeah everyone who hasn't read that book should go read it right now. I wouldn't say it's my favorite (that place will always be held by Terry Pratchett's Small Gods) but it's really good, especially for nerds, like the sort of person who makes fantasy fantasy cards for fun.

also yeah everyone who hasn't read that book should go read it right now. I wouldn't say it's my favorite (that place will always be held by Terry Pratchett's Small Gods) but it's really good, especially for nerds, like the sort of person who makes fantasy fantasy cards for fun.

Well, i'm sold. 

[edit] Read the first chapter. Good god. i need to go recommend this to a bunch of people.

Judges, this is my final submission.

Road to Somewhere
Land
,, Sacrifice Road to Somewhere: Search your library for a nonbasic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
“Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Actually fits rather nicely on the card. Sizewise I mean.
Mine is done as well.

Final Submission:

Erasure of Night 
Enchantment
At the beginning of each endstep each player's life total becomes what it was at the beginning of the current turn's upkeep.

- Samuel Beckett, Murphy 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Damn it, I just went the the library Razor.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Damn it, I just went the the library Razor.

...go back?

Compiled List of Submissions:

We don't see white's evil/xenophobic side quite often enough.

Almas, High Exorcist
Legendary Creature -- Human Cleric

Non-Human creatures are Demons.
, : Exile target Demon.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." -- The Doctor

2/3

Volunteer Army
Creature - Human Soldier
Volunteer Army attacks each turn if able.
Whenever Volunteer Army dies, if it is the combat step, return Volunteer Army to the battlefield and transform it.
4/4
"Theirs not to make reply/Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die" - The Charge of the Light Brigade, Alfred Lord Tennyson

--------------------------
--------------------------

Mangled Corpses
Enchantment {}
Creatures you control get -1/-1.
"If any question why we died/Tell them, because our fathers lied." - Epitaths of Warm Rudyard Kipling

Transmute
Sorcery
You may discard a card, sacrifice a creature, or pay 3 life rather than pay Transmute's mana cost.
Choose one - Add to your mana pool; or draw a card; or put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield; or gain 3 life.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth." - Alphonse Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Yes, a few of these modes are terrible, but most of them are bad but playable. Combined though, I think you get enough options for this to still be a viable card. It's like how both halves of Fire//Ice would suck on their own, but when you have the option of casting one or the other, suddenly it's a good card. And I guess at the very worst this card is like a Street Wraith that costs one more life or like a 2/2 dude for two mana/three life, which is not bad.

Crown of Kings
Legendary Enchantment – Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3, has vigilance and hexproof, and is a Lord in addition to its other types.
All creatures other than enchanted creature have ": Fight enchanted creature. If this creature wins the fight, attach Crown of Kings to this creature."
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
–George R. R. Martin,
A Game of Thrones

Death Seeker |
Creature - Human Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
1/1

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Comfortably Numb
Enchantment
Whenever you would be dealt damage, put that many delay counters on ~ instead.
At the beginning of the end step, remove all delay counters from ~ and lose that much life.
Discard two cards: remove all delay counters from ~
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. - Kurt Vonnegut,Slaughterhouse Five

Real-world flavour texts are unusual, and strike me as something best suited to a card where the mechanic doesn't take up a lot of the card.  I needed to make a card with short, snappy rules text, and ideally a name to match, so the flavour text had front-and-centre attention.  

The other thing I think this criteria mandated is a clear core set flavour.  Real-world quotes aren't something you want to see on complicated, expert-set level mechanics: to tie those those together you will need pretty tight flavour.  So, in my opinion, the flavour of the card in a mechanical sense needs to stand alone from the flavour text a bit more than it would if it were a straightforward expert-level card.

I experimented with a lot of different quotes and snappy text, but this one seemed to line up the best with the flavour text, be original, but also have that classical fantasy flavour that core sets love so much.  "Deliquesce" is one of my favourite words (I actually have a list on my phone), and, while it sort of means the same thing as "liquify" (that is, essentially, "turn into liquid"), "deliquesce" has such a lovely sense of melting, and goes so well with the Joyce flavour text, that I couldn't pass it up.

Mechanically, the ability is certainly a bleed for blue, but one that I think is in flavour.  I could see WotC printing it at rare or mythic level.  The bleed isn't that outrageous, either, considering cards like Pongify, Rapid Hybridization and Polymorph (and  the acceleration is harder for blue to deal with than a 3/3 creature token.).

Deliquesce

Sorcery 
Target creature becomes an island.
“She was gone. And into the river that had been a stream… there fell a tear, a singult tear, the loveliest of all tears… for it was a leaptear. But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping as though her heart was brook.”
—James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

I'm always surprised that Alice's Adventures in Wonderland isn't quoted on more flavour text.

Ace Executioner
Creature - Human Assassin R
All damage dealt to other creatures is dealt as though its source had deathtouch. (Any amount of damage dealt to a creature by a source with deathtouch is enough to destroy it.)
“They’re dreadfully fond of beheading people here; the great wonder is, that there’s any one left alive!”
—Lewis Carroll,

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
1/3

The Great Synthesis        
Enchantment
All creatures without morph gain morph.  Their morph cost is their converted mana cost.
Each creature card in each player's hand has morph .  Where  is that card's converted mana cost.
Creature spells may only be cast using their morph ability.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

Design Process:  
Show
It's probably evident from the above information, but since this is a top-down criteria I feel I should explain the evolution of the design.  First, given the criteria, I read quotes until one stood out as something that was missing flavorfully from the mtg world.  I found the quote I used and immediately thought "Hmmm, a design based around the 5 senses would be really fun."  My first idea, a totally new sense, I thought to ambitious for an early round.  My second idea, smell, was equally ludicrous.  Finally, I thought "We rely on our sight so much, what if we didn't know what the enemy had?"

This made me want to design a spell that masked the battlefield, a la Battleship.  The first challenge was implementing the card in a non-Un way (ie. Put a divider in between players.)  After a little thought I remembered that morph was a thing.

My initial thought was to morph all permanents, but checking in the rules I found that would be really unfun, as it would cost to play a land.  So I went with non-land permanents.  This too proved to be an unfun (complicated) concept, and needlessly raised the cost of the card.

So I arrived at masking exactly what creatures the opponent has.  I think it does a really solid job of hitting the flavor.  While I may know what creatures I have, I have no idea how effective they'll actually be since I don't know what my opponent has.  It has the added bonus of being a little mysterious itself, sine you can still PUT a creature onto the field face up a la Elvish Piper type cards.

Finally, in trying to work the mana cost, an idea hit me.  This card is far more effective the earlier it comes out, but there should be a cost to get it out early.  Phyrexian mana occured to me.  With a little research I found that "The Great Synthesis" fit the bill perfectly.  The perfect form of all creatures...vanilla 2/2's.  It fit perfectly with the flavor.  Jin-Gitaxias is even able to "blue print" creatures...why wouldn't a planeswalker be able to do the same!  Thus, it came together flavorfully.

Design thoughts: 
Show
Checked the rules, and I believe this works just fine with layers.  In addition, I think rule 707.2 can be interpreted in such a way as to not break the functionality of the design when the creature changes zones.  The card has to be a little expensive since it hoses Evolve and ETB effects once it hits the board.  Since that's not the intent, I costed it above the most prevalent ETB effects.  I think the Feroz's Ban-like ability is leveraged a bit by providing a significant amount of counterspell protection and offering mana-fixing in the form of all colorless casting costs.  I debated on the final abilities wording, since the rules use both "cast with their morph ability" and "cast face down", but I think the morph ability wording would cause less confusion.

This card has a pretty huge effect in a lot of situations.  The sheer number of Keywords it eliminated is staggering.  Still, at the end of the day it's hate functionality is minor.  You still get the creature, and the card doesn't affect Unburial Rites type decks at all.

Immortal Madman 
Creature - Human
Sacrifice Immortal Madman: Return Immortal Madman from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones  who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
1/1

Accursed Destiny

Enchantment - (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may search your library for a card with the same name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came."
— Arazlam J. Durai

It appears on the opening of Vagrant Story. It's a phrase by Arazlam J. Durai. Totally a coincidence.

I hope it's not a problem if it comes from a book inside a video game rather than from a real book.

Callous Regime
Enchantment

If a creature would become untapped, instead you lose 1 life.
"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." —George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

Traveller's Choice :G:
Sorcery
Target opponent searches your library for two lands with different names. Put one of them onto battlefield tapped and the other into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood/ And sorry I could not travel both/ And be one traveller, long I stood/ And looked down one as far as I could/ To where it bent in the undergrowth;" - Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken.

Ancestral Transgressions | :1M::B::B:

Sorcery

Exile all nonland cards from all graveyards. Each player loses 1 life for each card exiled from his or her graveyard this way.

"These," he said gravely, "are unpleasant facts; I know it. But then most historical facts are unpleasant."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Still monkeying with the mana cost but the shell is good. might change the cost later, feels like a finisher but since it's 2 sided...

Deathbound Paladin |
Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
If ~ would be destroyed, regenerate it, then sacrifice another creature. If you can't sacrifice another creature, sacrifice ~.
"The death of something living is the price of our own survival, and we pay it again and again."
-Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
4/1

Okay English degree, start paying off.

Hoard Existence |
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, end the turn.
Cumulative upkeep - (p)(p)(p)
"Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you." - Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Seriously not chosen because of febb. And given that Coldsnap had both Phyrexian and cumulative upkeep themes, not the stretch I thought it might be in conception either.

Upkeep cost was tricky, but landed on (p)(p) by lowering the cost to four - I think it was too easy to chain out a boatload of turns at higher costs, because you already have the mana to pay for 2-3 of them. FORGET IT THAT WAS CRAZY.

Cartel Legbreaker

Creature ― Ogre Rogue
When Cartel Legbreaker enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Cartel Legbreaker deals 2 damage to the chosen opponent unless he or she pays . If he or she does, Cartel Legbreaker loses this ability.
“Speak softly and employ a huge man with a crowbar.” ―Terry Pratchett
4/4

Maddening Fantasies
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards a card at random. If it's a nonland card, an opponent of that player cast it without paying its mana cost if able. (That player chooses the opponent.)
"Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind
In this darkness that you know you cannot fight." -Phantom of the Opera

Show
almost forgot those stupid pacts. cost it closer to hive mind and made it random.

Martyr's Anthem
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies in combat, put a song counter on Martyr's Anthem.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each sng counter on Martyr's Anthem.
Go, ye heroes, go to glory!
Though you die in combat gory,
Ye shall live in song and story.
Go to immortality!
—Gilbert & Sullivan,
The Pirates of Penzance

Primordial Ancients -
Creature - Elemental
Whenever you cast a spell using only mana produced by basic lands, draw a card.
"In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Cormac McCarthy, The Road
2/2

The Master
Legendary Creature - Demon (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, lose 5 life and sacrifice a creature. Then end the turn.
You control each player during that player's turn. (You see all cards that player could see and make all decisions for the player.)
“There's a very fine line between pleasure and pain. They are two sides of the same coin, one not existing without the other.” 
― E.L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey
5/5

Quote provided by Mown and Rush_Clasic

Self-Awareness
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may reveal it. If you do, put two +1/+1 counters on each creature with the same name as it.
"This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Consciousness Probe
Sorcery
Look at target opponent's hand.  You may cast a spell from it with converted mana cost X or less without paying its mana cost.
"At first—even long before—he had been occupied with one question: why almost all crimes are so easily detected and solved, and why almost all criminals leave such an obviously marked trail."—Crime and Punishment

The card is reasonably costed, I think.  It's flexible, but in order to get anything really awesome out of your opponent, you need to put a lot of mana into it.  I was looking through my copy of this book for an idea for a quote and this one instantly made me think of Dimir, so here is a very Dimir-feeling card.

Erasure of Night
Enchantment

- Samuel Beckett, Murphy 

Cursed Seer
Creature - Human Mystic
If you would discard a card, instead lose 2 life.
:Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/1
“All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them.” --Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Suicide looters?  I'd play it.

Final submission.
Reaper's Recess

Enchantment
All creatures are indestructible.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls. You gain that much life.
"The following day, no one died. The fact, due to being absolutely contrary to the rules of life, caused in the people's spirits an enormous distress."

Shortened a bit. Here is the full length version:

"The following day, no one died. The fact, due to being absolutely contrary to the rules of life, caused in the people's spirits an enormous distress, an effect in all aspects justified, for all we have to do is to remember that, in the forty volumes of world history, there have never been any news, not even a single sample case, of any occurrence of a similar phenomenon, of having a full day passed, in the whole of its prodigal twenty four hours, without a single death by illness, a fatal fall, a suicide taken to its conclusion, nothing at all."

Free translation. I take it we have some license with regard to flavor text length this round?

Uncertain Knowledge
Sorcery
Draw three cards and reveal them from your hand for the rest of the game. You can't play those cards.
"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."
—Augustus Waters
, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Voice of the People

Creature - Human Rogue
First strike
Creatures can't be prevented from attacking.
"The building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by the people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world."
-V

4/2

Notes
From "V for Vendetta" said by V to Evey.

The idea is stop effects like Blazing Archon, Propaganda, and Pacifism. It would allow detained creatures to attack. On a technical note, it would ignore Restictions in 508.1c and you would not need to pay any costs in 508.1g-i, but still mut be an elligible choice in 508.1a.

From a flavorful standpoint, The quote is more about the ability than the creature, and I could have just put the ability by itself on an enchantment, but I believe it feels better having a creature to lead the revolution.

Impossibility Engine-
Artifact Creature
Impossibility Engine is every creature type that no other creature is. 
As Impossibility Engine enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each player's upkeep, Impossibility Engine's power becomes equal to the lowest positive number that no other creature's power is. The same is true for toughness. (0 is not positive.)
0/0

so for instance if there was a 1/1, a 2/1, and a 3/3, it'd be a 4/2. I used an upkeep trigger to a) avoid messiness with layers, and b) allow its toughness to accurately represent how it will fair in combat. like, if it's a 5/5 and if blocks the only 4/4, it'll die if it's a continuous check, and that's weird. I chose not to do it for the creature types because they matter less, and the layers thing doesn't really crop up there. it's mostly for flavor, since it can't really interact with most lords as they are of the types the pump. but the flavor it adds seems worth it. it's everything that doesn't exist! also the way layers work I'm pretty sure if you have two Engines out they'll both be whatever amount of creature types. Wording is from concerted effort. also yes the last ability is both a replacement and a trigger, depending on when it occurs. I'm pretty sure the rules can handle that and if they can't as written it's a simple fix. I just didn't want there to be an opening to shock it before it got big.

Road to Somewhere
Land
,, Sacrifice Road to Somewhere: Search your library for a nonbasic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
“Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Actually fits rather nicely on the card. Sizewise I mean.

Bluster 
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is a 4/4 white Knight with vigilance unless it's blocking or being blocked. 
"Beneath all that storm of blows that which rained on him, he never once closed his mouth, but howled continuous threats to heaven and earth against those brigands, as he took them to be." - Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote

theatog put in three without explicitly stating which one was the real submission, so I threw them all in for the time being. Judges are free to deal with that however they like so long as they are consistent about it (or he tells us which two to pull). Also, please list your opinion of the bottom five competitors, ranked explicitly from least bad to most bad.
the latter two are jokes....

please ignore them.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
it looks like you missed mine

original content do not steal
Bluster 
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is a 4/4 white Knight with vigilance unless it's blocking or being blocked. 
"Beneath all that storm of blows that which rained on him, he never once closed his mouth, but howled continuous threats to heaven and earth against those brigands, as he took them to be." - Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote

192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I like some cards.

I don't like some other cards.

Is that enough?
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
I like some cards.

aw, you're too kind

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

it looks like you missed mine

original content do not steal
Bluster 
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature

Fixed, but please keep in mind that it's a lot easier to collect submissions you can actually see.

I like some cards.

Is that enough?

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11300000/Twentieth-Century-Vole-monty-python-11391782-403-312.jpg

Are you being indecisive?
I like some cards.

Is that enough?

OH GODS.

THE SUSPENSE.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Whoops, flavor text #2 should say Epitaph of War, not Warm.

Although we can all agree Epitaths of Warm sounds like a much more pleasant book.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Whoops, flavor text #2 should say Epitaph of War, not Warm.

Although we can all agree Epitaths of Warm sounds like a much more pleasant book.

I assumed it was the XXX parody version.
I would really appreciate if people other than current contestants would refrain from posting cards.
If you have an awesome idea that fits this round's criteria, please post it in the 'YMTC Idol Rejects' thread.

Eph's Little List of Pain
5. magicpablo666
4. Riorvard
3. silasw
2. Franken_Stein
1. theatog

Other stuff
SimonGlume, POSValkir1 and Elzaban_the_Ethereal: You almost made the list. Be careful.

tyranno6, Rush_Classic, ParadOxymoron: Keep being awesome.

Favorite card of the round: Morgothra's Traveller's Choice.

From nothing came teeth.
List of pain is the cutoffs? So I made it!? Oh god ill be working happy at work this morning.
Well I made it on one list at least. If I did.
Well I made it on one list at least. If I did.

I, too, am kind of confused at what's happened.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Five people are supposed to be cut this round.
Yes, people in Ephemeron's list of five are at risk of being eliminated, though obviously this depends on the assessments of the other judges.
So I knew what was wrong with my Audition round card, so I didn't waste anyones time asking for a critique/comments, but does an offer stand for card critiques/comments this round?

If yes, how would Judges prefer to be contacted for said critiques/comments.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I would really appreciate if people other than current contestants would refrain from posting cards.

Febb has been removed from the list.
So I knew what was wrong with my Audition round card, so I didn't waste anyones time asking for a critique/comments, but does an offer stand for card critiques/comments this round?

If yes, how would Judges prefer to be contacted for said critiques/comments.

I suggest doing it in this thread after all the judgments have come in (unless for some reason you don't want your card discussed openly).
My list:

1. Morgothra

2. tyranno6

3. ParadOxymoron

My other list:

7: Riorvard
     6: POSValkir1
     5: Franken_Stein
     4: silasw
     3: Elzaban_the_Ethereal
     2: magicpablo666
     1: SimonGlume

And a hearty shoutout goes to Lindsey Stirling, without whom I wouldn't have been able to concentrate enough to get these first two rounds done so quickly.
Sign In to post comments