YMTC Idol 11: Round 1

242 posts / 0 new
Last post

iambism has nothing to do with rhyme scheme

Doesn't matter, ate chex.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Bumping this thread so that it's above the other idol thread.

Also, I edited my submission into one of my previous posts.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Callous Regime
Enchantment

If a creature would become untapped, instead you lose 1 life.
"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." —George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Reading all the quotes. Not to look at your cards, but to see what you read.

/bookstore manager 

/bookstore manager 

I'm pleasently surprised someone else used Lovecraft.  Currently I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series because I forgot everything and the last book makes no sense...Frown.

Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
That's what happens when an author dies.

/bookstore manager 

Shoot, I need to up my ante, Botemps is good, but you already saw that quote.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Speaking of authors dying midbook, maybe I should do a Pale King Quote?

Or, from not Pale King:

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier."

Best motto ever. 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Fate's Plaything -- 
Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant player
Whenever a player casts a spell, each other player may copy it targetting enchanted player.
"'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name is Bad.'" -- Interesting Times
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Speaking of authors dying midbook, maybe I should do a Pale King Quote?

Or, from not Pale King:

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier."

Best motto ever. 

Were I judging, I'd probably auto-pass anything quoting David Foster Wallace.
It sucks to be the only person that doesn't really read.
Current Design (Subject to Change):

Traveller's Choice :G:
Sorcery
Target opponent searches your library for two lands with different names. Put one of them onto battlefield tapped and the other into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood/ And sorry I could not travel both/ And be one traveller, long I stood/ And looked down one as far as I could/ To where it bent in the undergrowth;" - Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken.

Potential other quotes
WIP: "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my works ye mighty and despair."
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!

Just google Discworld quotes.

Now you can laugh while making cards. 
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

That will teach you!

Just thing of supposedly famous works of literature and go through the goodreads quote pages. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

That will teach you!

Just thing of supposedly famous works of literature and go through the goodreads quote pages. 

All famous works of literature have one author.

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

Oh, detektor, does the bible count as fiction or non-fiction? At least for this I mean.

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

Oh, detektor, does the bible count as fiction or non-fiction? At least for this I mean.

Fiction. Have you read it. They didn't have women back then. Clearly false.

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

I have friends and I read books?

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

Do your friends know they are books?

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

I mean I asked my friends to give me quotes. And they did.
May I ask a judge to provide a quote for me? Kind of an extra challenge to use what I get.

If not, I understand and will find something else. 

Sick burn or burn, you sick person?

Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I have books and I read friends.

Like the transcripts. For every episode. How I loathe them.

Rush: Oh, we should talk about him more. I am the number one fan of him in maybe my whole town! 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
May I ask a judge to provide a quote for me? Kind of an extra challenge to use what I get.

'And what would humans be without love?'RARE, said Death.

"He felt as if he'd been shipwrecked on the Titanic but in the nick of time had been rescued. By the Lusitania."

Sick burn or burn, you sick person?

>_>''

/bookstore manager 

If you're curious, the last few books I've read and loved have been Saunders' Tenth of December, Bolano's 2666, de la Pava's A Naked Singularity (which is the most Wallacean thing I've read since Wallace), and Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.  I don't think contemporary literary fiction really has the right tone for Magic, though, hence why I've only quoted from classics.

Ancestral Transgressions | :1M::B::B:

Sorcery

Exile all nonland cards from all graveyards. Each player loses 1 life for each card exiled from his or her graveyard this way.

"These," he said gravely, "are unpleasant facts; I know it. But then most historical facts are unpleasant."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Still monkeying with the mana cost but the shell is good. might change the cost later, feels like a finisher but since it's 2 sided... 

All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring. -Chuck Palahniuk My Card as designed by febbstalicious42
Show
Four-Finger Discount :2mana: Instant Gain control of target creature. You lose life equal to its toughness. Almost as good as the five-finger discount.
phyrexianloyalty.png

/bookstore manager 

If you're curious, the last few books I've read and loved have been Saunders' Tenth of December, Bolano's 2666, de la Pava's A Naked Singularity (which is the most Wallacean thing I've read since Wallace), and Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.  I don't think contemporary literary fiction really has the right tone for Magic, though, hence why I've only quoted from classics.

Rush probably hates me now cause I've gone all digital, but I found: King of Blades by Ken Brosky, Speculation by Edmund Jorgenson, and the David Wong books (John Dies at the End, This Book is Full of Spiders) to be highly unique and enjoyable.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
My possible quotes, feel free to use them if you ask first :D just a few nice quotes from some of my favorite books
Show

“Putting out the stars and extinguishing the sun.” 
― Ray BradburyFahrenheit 451

“Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” 
― Ray BradburyFahrenheit 451 

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.” 
― Chuck PalahniukFight Club 

“I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.” 
― Chuck PalahniukFight Club 

“You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget.” 
― Cormac McCarthyThe Road

“If you break little promises, you'll break big ones.” 
― Cormac McCarthyThe Road 

I'm a former judge. Pick me, pick me!

That will teach you!

Nah, I have friends.

You're free to quote it if you so choose. Magic has done so several times in the past.
Actually I should just ask if it specifically has to be fiction, or did I mis read and we can use pretty much any source?
Deathbound Paladin |
Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
If ~ would be destroyed, regenerate it, then sacrifice another creature. If you can't sacrifice another creature, sacrifice ~.
"The death of something living is the price of our own survival, and we pay it again and again."
-Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
4/1

Okay English degree, start paying off.
Actually I should just ask if it specifically has to be fiction, or did I mis read and we can use pretty much any source?

Chaos, darling...
Current entry likely to change as I find more and more quotes I like:
Less likely to change now.

Hoard Existence |
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, end the turn.
Cumulative upkeep - (p)(p)(p)
"Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you." - Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Seriously not chosen because of febb. And given that Coldsnap had both Phyrexian and cumulative upkeep themes, not the stretch I thought it might be in conception either.

Upkeep cost was tricky, but landed on (p)(p) by lowering the cost to four - I think it was too easy to chain out a boatload of turns at higher costs, because you already have the mana to pay for 2-3 of them. FORGET IT THAT WAS CRAZY.

Rejects
Inspirational Drive |
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a spell, draw a card.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." - Oscar Wilde

I'll ask for a clarification - could we use a quote unattributed (but referenced in post) as 'dialogue' text, or is that not the intent of the criteria? OK, no worries.
I'll ask for a clarification - could we use a quote unattributed (but referenced in post) as 'dialogue' text, or is that not the intent of the criteria?

The intent was to quote a work of fiction, so I personally would expect to see a source cited. The judges may feel differently, though. 
original content do not steal
Bluster 
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is a 4/4 white Knight with vigilance unless it's blocking or being blocked. 
"Beneath all that storm of blows that which rained on him, he never once closed his mouth, but howled continuous threats to heaven and earth against those brigands, as he took them to be." - Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I'll ask for a clarification - could we use a quote unattributed (but referenced in post) as 'dialogue' text, or is that not the intent of the criteria?

The intent was to quote a work of fiction, so I personally would expect to see a source cited. The judges may feel differently, though. 

Fact racist.
My last few reads were Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Random Riggs, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, Peeps by Scott Westerfeld, and The Stranger by Albert Camus. I tend to navigate between literary reads and young adult. If any of ya have a goodreads account, add me.

I keep meaning to read One Hundred Years of Solitude, so I'll probably pick that up next. Or Infinite Jest. Frickin Infinite Jest.

/bookstore manager 

2666 looks like an interesting read. I've picked it up a number of times due to the cover alone. The Brief Wonrous Life of Oscar Wao is on my list, which is long and packed and impossible to organize.

/bookstore manager 

Rush probably hates me now cause I've gone all digital, but I found: King of Blades by Ken Brosky, Speculation by Edmund Jorgenson, and the David Wong books (John Dies at the End, This Book is Full of Spiders) to be highly unique and enjoyable.

I've really wanted to try the Wong books. I've heard plenty of good things.

Reading? What's reading?

(The last books that I read were all for school. Stuff like Candide, Meditations on First Philosophy, and other stuff that I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to read on my own. I rarely have time for pleasure reading anymore, sadly.)

I just googled quotes from some of my favorite animes until I found one that I liked.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.