If I path of exile my Sakura-Tribe Elder. can I sac him and get 2 lands?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I path to exile my Sakura-Tribe Elder,
 can I sacrifice  him and get 2 lands?
If I path to exile my Sakura-Tribe Elder,
 can I sacrifice  him and get 2 lands?

No.  If you sac it, it is no longer a legal target and the Path to Exile is countered (it "fizzles")

if I target 3 creatures with arc lightning and one disappears, does the spell fizzle ?
Nope.  A spell is countered by the game if all of its targets have become illegal by the time it attempts to resolve.  If there are still legal targets, the spell will resolve and do as much as it can.
the target creature's controller is not itself a target

What are you trying to say? Are you disagreeing with one of the (correct) answers that was given, or is that a new question?

Path to Exile says: "Exile target creature. Its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle his or her library."

It has one target: a creature. Its controller is not being targeted by Path to Exile.

Arc Lightning says: "Arc Lightning deals 3 damage divided as you choose among one, two, or three target creatures and/or players."

It can have one, two or three targets, and they must be creatures and/or players. Each one of those is being targeted by Arc Lightning.

[<o>]

That depends on whether the card says the controller is a target.

If you're using Searing Blaze, both the creature and its controller are targeted.
If you're using Chandra's Outrage or Path to Exile, only the creature is a target.
Arc Lightning can target either a creature, a player, or both.
Is a target creature a targeted creature?

Can you reword your question? It sound's like you're asking about past tense vs present tense of the verb "to target", which doesn't strike me as a very meaningful question and thus i probably just misunderstand.
If a card says "Target X" on it, it means it's targeting an X.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Can you reword your question? It sound's like you're asking about past tense vs present tense of the verb "to target", which doesn't strike me as a very meaningful question and thus i probably just misunderstand.

You can probably safely ignore Matt_Holck's posts since most of the posts under Matt_Holck's name are troll and/and nonsense posts.

You can probably safely ignore Matt_Holck's posts since most of the posts under Matt_Holck's name are troll and/and nonsense posts.

Holck_Matt appears to be a troll, Matt_Holck may be legitimate, the troll could be emulating his name and signature image

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

No, I'm pretty sure they're both trolls.

Rules Advisor

I just use it as an opportunity to inform. No reason not to get along with the trolls.

Sure. Two cards (Acidic Dagger and Runesword) actually use the word "targeted" in their rules text (check gatherer). In both cases, they refer to the creature selected as the ability's target.

I didn't know you could target :Xm:

You'll have to be more subtle than that, though.
the troll can't seem to say NO WAR

Matt_Holck's first few posts were so wildly off base about various things, and so argumentative upon being corrected about them, that I suspected I was being trolled, but his more recent ones seem like sincere, if rather basic, rules questions. I had some rather harsh responses to his early ones (and make no apologies for it), but his recent ones, I just treat like any other rules questions.

Holck_Matt's posts, the ones I've read anyway, don't even make sense (even less than MH's early ones did). There's no doubt in my mind that HM is (a) a troll and (b) either extremely stupid or extremely clever. What I'm not sure about is whether his intended target is us, or the original Matt_Holck (or both). My two pieces of advice regarding Holck_Matt are (a) ignore him except for the occasional "health warning" to passerby, and (b) do not confuse him with Matt_Holck or treat the two as interchangeable - that's very likely what HM wants.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
There's another option. Report Holck_Matt's posts as harrassment/cyberbullying (I just did).

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

Matt_Holck's first few posts were so wildly off base about various things, and so argumentative upon being corrected about them, that I suspected I was being trolled, but his more recent ones seem like sincere, if rather basic, rules questions. I had some rather harsh responses to his early ones (and make no apologies for it), but his recent ones, I just treat like any other rules questions.

Holck_Matt's posts, the ones I've read anyway, don't even make sense (even less than MH's early ones did). There's no doubt in my mind that HM is (a) a troll and (b) either extremely stupid or extremely clever. What I'm not sure about is whether his intended target is us, or the original Matt_Holck (or both). My two pieces of advice regarding Holck_Matt are (a) ignore him except for the occasional "health warning" to passerby, and (b) do not confuse him with Matt_Holck or treat the two as interchangeable - that's very likely what HM wants.

it takes a while to figure out where and what to post when starting

Folks, naming a player a troll, even if true, violates the boards Code of Conduct. If you see a post you think is trolling, please use the report post button. PLEASE don't respond to it: not only does responding violate the CoC, it also encourages said troll.

The OP's original question has been answered and this thread is going nowhere. Locked.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert