Warner Bros Acquires Rights To Make Dungeons & Dragons Movie

I wonder what edition it's gonna be filmed in.
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
TBH, this makes me nervous.  The last several were...horrific.  At best.

Game of Thrones -proves- that it can do well as long as people can get past the name, but the characters/effects -have- to at least live up to a frickin' television show.  The other two I've seen haven't done that at all.  I'd be happy if it were made and was made with good production values; not to mention it can help reinforce a lot of the 'traditional' tropes used in D&D (particularly regarding wizards).

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

Oh wait, they're serious?  Let me laugh harder!

Seriously though, while I'd love for the D&D property to get something remotely satisfactory made of it, I uh, I really doubt that will ever be the case.  At the very least, not until they get away from "generic D&D", and move to a specific campaign setting / story.

Eberron is by far their most "cinema-friendly" setting.  Not using it - hell, not at the very least using one of the existing FR or Dragonlance stories - is just a mistake.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

Seriously though, while I'd love for the D&D property to get something remotely satisfactory made of it, I uh, I really doubt that will ever be the case.  At the very least, not until they get away from "generic D&D", and move to a specific campaign setting / story.

Eberron is by far their most "cinema-friendly" setting.  Not using it - hell, not at the very least using one of the existing FR or Dragonlance stories - is just a mistake.

Eberron, even as an older-edition fan, could be do-able.  I rather enjoyed the world myself (especially Riedra!).  OTOH...I don't know if I'd want to be the artist in charge of -not- making the warforged look...well, silly.  A -lot- of the pics don't achieve that at all, although they did a great job with the 'heavy' warforged.  But the regular ones?  They really look dumb imo.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

Actually,  Dragonlance is likely their best candidate considering the novels pulled in significant quantities of non-gamers,  indicating wider general appeal.

Following that,  I'd say FR and Drizzt is their next safest bet since that'll guarantee at least one demographic even if it doesn't resonate with the others.

Eberron is going to be the hardest sell possible.  It's unknown to those who grew up playing AD&D but no longer play,  and the robotic aspect is going to be a *really* hard sell to alot of people who'd be confused.

I'm interested to see how this goes though,  D&D has alot of potential for a great movie,  sadly it's never been fully realized      
The best D&D based visual media ever produced is the Slayers anime. It also happens to be the most true to form of any D&D movie/tv show.
They would do better to make the DragonLance books into movies or to make the Drizzt novels into movies. Making the game "Dungeons&Dragons" generic is a recipe for disaster. Please don't relegate the franchise to the SciFi channel by making another generic crappy D&D movie.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
I'm  with Gatt the safest bet would be dragonlance. 

But it WILL be Forgotten Realms. They have pretty much done nothing else for quite some time and they seem to be full intent on milking FR for every last dollar they can make.

Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of Random Stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

Back to Product and General D&D Discussions -- because the mobile site is bad. (Fixed!)

They would do better to make the DragonLance books into movies or to make the Drizzt novels into movies. Making the game "Dungeons&Dragons" generic is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't use one of the good established stories or characters instead of making up some generic fantasy crap and slapping the D&D name on it.

They would do better to make the DragonLance books into movies or to make the Drizzt novels into movies. Making the game "Dungeons&Dragons" generic is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't use one of the good established stories or characters instead of making up some generic fantasy crap and slapping the D&D name on it.

If they want to make D&D movie that is to be something other then a "direct to DVD" or SYFY movie there is risk to using a established setting. First, the gross majority of movie goers will see it as a generic fantasy movie so the benefit will be minimal. Second, they risk offending the fickle D&D consumer base and end up with a possible flop and a lost of former customers.

My blog of Random Stuff 

Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

Back to Product and General D&D Discussions -- because the mobile site is bad. (Fixed!)

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />If they want to make D&D movie that is to be something other then a "direct to DVD" or SYFY movie there is risk to using a established setting. First, the gross majority of movie goers will see it as a generic fantasy movie so the benefit will be minimal. Second, they risk offending the fickle D&D consumer base and end up with a possible flop and a lost of former customers.

The main benefit isn't so much name recognition, as it is the fact that you know you're using a story people liked and a fantasy world that people liked, as opposed to a totally generic world which is almost always going to suck.

As for the possible flop, I'll take a possible flop over a guaranteed one any day, and going with the generic fantasy crap is guaranteed to be a flop.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />If they want to make D&D movie that is to be something other then a "direct to DVD" or SYFY movie there is risk to using a established setting. First, the gross majority of movie goers will see it as a generic fantasy movie so the benefit will be minimal. Second, they risk offending the fickle D&D consumer base and end up with a possible flop and a lost of former customers.

The main benefit isn't so much name recognition, as it is the fact that you know you're using a story people liked and a fantasy world that people liked, as opposed to a totally generic world which is almost always going to suck.

As for the possible flop, I'll take a possible flop over a guaranteed one any day, and going with the generic fantasy crap is guaranteed to be a flop.

And logically it makes sense, but when you have a readership that quit buying books all togather, because WoTC decide to release the ebooks before the hardbacks you have to consider something like that a real risk because it could have severe consequences.

My blog of Random Stuff 

i would love to get a properly done dragonlance movie and not some animated crap, but on the other hand a classic dungeon setting like temple of elemental evil would rock alot.
i would love to get a properly done dragonlance movie and not some animated crap, but on the other hand a classic dungeon setting like temple of elemental evil would rock alot.

I think in any case the best thing would be if they used already existing DnD novels to adapt to film instead of trying to come up with their own thing.

and there are plently of novels from difrent settings to chose from 
A well-done treatment of the Hunter's Blade series, Icewind Dale series, etc. could, potentially, catapult D&D straight into the limelight. It worked for LotR, despite formerly being a "nerd"-exclusive series. It would have to be setting specific, character specific, and done by people who know how to bring those apects to life, though.

Using a generic setting with unknown characters is and will always be doomed to failure. Everyone has their own ideas about what D&D "looks" like, and a generic setting and characters fall flat. At least using a name as big as Drizzt (despite how much I dislike that particular franchise) would give the film a true protagonist that fans immediately identify with, and non-fans will quickly understand (the tragic hero with the dark past is a trope as old as film itself), not to mention using the Realms as a setting. I know a fear the makers of the LotR had was that moviegoers that weren't familiar with Hobbits, Eants, etc. wouldn't "get it", but they did, and it made millions. The same goes for D&D. Do it well, use notable, known actors, and an established storyline, and they'll do fine. If they don't...we get yet another dung pile not worth watching.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
First off, this is not confirmation that a movie is being made. Warner merely obtained the rights to make a movie.

Studios do this all the time, and often let the option/rights expire without doing anything. In fact, this is more often the case than not. Sometimes, a studio will obtain the rights to something simply because they don't want a competitor to nab it.

Given the huge success of Game of Thrones and the Lord of the Rings related movies however, I would not be surprised if they do indeed go ahead with a movie. But it is not a sure thing. Even if WB fully intends to make one, and pushes hard with resources and talent...Hollywood is fickle place. Even enthusiastic projects frequently crash and burn, never to see a theater.

But that aside, I think they actually could do a generic dungeon-crawling fantasy version of D&D and pull it off well. I don't think a generic fantasy motif would fall flat, just so long as the movie makers are truly into the theme and are good at their jobs. I feel the reason much of the "SyFy made-for-TV" stuff is relatively low quality is that the people who make those shows don't necessarily care about the subject matter - many of them are just doing a job, cranking out generic sci-fi. Hopefully, a new D&D movie will be done right and avoid such problems. With a major studio attached, I am cautiously optimistic.
First off, this is not confirmation that a movie is being made. Warner merely obtained the rights to make a movie.

Studios do this all the time, and often let the option/rights expire without doing anything. In fact, this is more often the case than not. Sometimes, a studio will obtain the rights to something simply because they don't want a competitor to nab it.

Given the huge success of Game of Thrones and the Lord of the Rings related movies however, I would not be surprised if they do indeed go ahead with a movie. But it is not a sure thing. Even if WB fully intends to make one, and pushes hard with resources and talent...Hollywood is fickle place. Even enthusiastic projects frequently crash and burn, never to see a theater.

But that aside, I think they actually could do a generic dungeon-crawling fantasy version of D&D and pull it off well. I don't think a generic fantasy motif would fall flat, just so long as the movie makers are truly into the theme and are good at their jobs. I feel the reason much of the "SyFy made-for-TV" stuff is relatively low quality is that the people who make those shows don't necessarily care about the subject matter - many of them are just doing a job, cranking out generic sci-fi. Hopefully, a new D&D movie will be done right and avoid such problems. With a major studio attached, I am cautiously optimistic.

remember when sci-fi channel made movies that were good and fun, peppridge farm remembers lol
Do a 'Blade' like movie starring a prominent African American actor playing Drizzt in icewind dale, and you would have a best seller...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Do a 'Blade' like movie starring a prominent African American actor playing Drizzt in icewind dale, and you would have a best seller...

if you say you hate dark elves would that make you a racist?
Do a 'Blade' like movie starring a prominent African American actor playing Drizzt in icewind dale, and you would have a best seller...

No, it would make you a realist.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours

No, it would make you a realist.

ok now that things are cleared up would the dark elf cheat on his dark elf taxes and go to dark elf jail in the movie.

remember when sci-fi channel made movies that were good and fun, peppridge farm remembers lol

To me, the only good sci-fi (I guess it would be SyFy now) original movie that I recall was Dog Soldiers. That was a ginuinely decent werewolf movie. Apart from that, you end up with garbage like Mega Python vs. Gatoroid and Sharktopus.

Did you read the article? Because the article says that the studio is actually quite far along in the development of the project, as it will use a script by Wrath Of The Titans and Red Riding Hood scribe and Frank Darabont protege David Leslie Johnson.  That script, Chainmail, was acquired last year as a free-standing project and is being retro-fitted to fit the much bigger game creation. The film will be produced by The Lego Movie producer Roy Lee and Courtney Solomon.
Howdy folks,

The racism side conversation is off topic and potentially offensive.  Please return to the main topic.

Thanks.  

All around helpful simian

Did you read the article, because the article says that the studio is actually quite far along in the development of the project, as it will use a script by Wrath Of The Titans and Red Riding Hood scribe and Frank Darabont protege David Leslie Johnson.  That script, Chainmail, was acquired last year as a free-standing project and is being retro-fitted to fit the much bigger game creation. The film will be produced by The Lego Movie producer Roy Lee and Courtney Solomon. 

Well...thanks for raining on that particular parade.
guess all the wesley snipes jokes will end oh well
Do a 'Blade' like movie starring a prominent African American actor playing Drizzt in icewind dale, and you would have a best seller...Smile

I'm not convinced of that.  From a name recognition standpoint,  you'd have only a guaranteed narrow demographic of the male group,  some penetration into the general male demographic,  and potentially limited female penetration.  I think that would perform ok,  but by no means be a blockbuster.

Ravenloft would be a hard sell,  it would appear to be a fantasy horror movie and would have to hope it pulled an Underworld.  Planescape would appear incomprehensible.  Dark Sun has potential,  but limited name recognition.

Dragonlance is the strongest property possible as it historically already appealed to the widest demographic of all of the settings.

Honestly though,  the press release tells us it won't be any of these.  The working title was Chainmail,  and...

That script, Chainmail, was acquired last year as a free-standing project, based on an obscure game that was also hatched by D&D designer Gary Gygax before he and Dave Arneson launched D&D. It is being retro-fitted to fit the much bigger game creation.

So it wasn't based on any existing D&D property,  so no Dragonlance,  no Drizzt.  The best we can hope for is it being reworked into one of the existing settings as a prelude to something bigger in that setting.  As such,  it is most likely Forgotten Realms,  it's unlikely to fit in the Dragonlance setting (Sad as that makes me)

I'll also caution those thinking "Lord of the Rings!",  Tolkein was widely read by many demographics,  and the cartoons introduced many more.  D&D,  as big as it is,  isn't Tolkein.  I'm not saying they can't have a break out movie,  just saying that unlike Tolkein,  it has to work hard for that and will not have the budget Tolkein did.     
there is no dungeons and dragon standard setting

it's completely determined by the dungeon master
NO WAR

US spends more money on weapons than the next 7 nation combined yet congress voted for more

...the article says that the studio is actually quite far along in the development of the project, as it will use a script by Wrath Of The Titans and Red Riding Hood scribe and Frank Darabont protege David Leslie Johnson.  That script, Chainmail, was acquired last year as a free-standing project and is being retro-fitted to fit the much bigger game creation. The film will be produced by The Lego Movie producer Roy Lee and Courtney Solomon.

I did not see that. Thanks, that's encouraging.

It doesn't mean it's a sure-thing though. Plenty of movies get even further than that and get canned. For example, they might not even have a shooting script yet. They may have bought Chainmail to avoid lawsuit for producing a script too similar, and/or to prevent another stuido from making a movie too similar...or simply because they liked the title (and always planned to dump the script and start over).

Even if it all goes forward and gets a wide theatrical release, it's hard to say what the final product will be.

For example, we might get a final product called Chainmail that turns out to be no more Dungeons & Dragons than Pacific Rim is Evangelion, or The Condemned is Battle Royale.

I'm not intending to be a spoilsport; things could very well go fine. But I've been burned over too many decades of movie hopes and dreams to not mention these points.
Wait are beholders in chainmail? I won't lie I'll probably pay money to see a beholder disintegrate some adventurers... I mean the movie is probably going to be PG 13 so completely disintegration is the best we are going to be able to hope for anyway.

My blog of Random Stuff 

there is no dungeons and dragon standard setting

4th edition has a default setting based on points of lights set in the Nentir Vale.

and potentially limited female penetration.  I think that would perform ok 

"That's what she said....."

Sorry, couldn't resisit Tongue Out

I do think that a generic D&D setting might work as a movie so long as they don't jump the shark with story lines consisting of TONS of Dragons (like the first movie *shudders*), Planar entities like Demons and Angels, SUPER-MAGICAL artifacts, SUPER-POWERFUL enemy necromancers, or overly ridiculous stuff you'd most likely see in a high-leveled Epic style campaign. What works well for me is more sublte starting point, something like Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance) or Eye of the World (book 1, Wheel of Time). The protagonists should start out a bit new or green so that the audience can resonate more with them. I'd love to see them do a Temple of Elemental Evil movie, but we'll have to see what they roll out with.      

and potentially limited female penetration.  I think that would perform ok 

"That's what she said....."

Sorry, couldn't resisit Tongue Out

I do think that a generic D&D setting might work as a movie so long as they don't jump the shark with story lines consisting of TONS of Dragons (like the first movie *shudders*), Planar entities like Demons and Angels, SUPER-MAGICAL artifacts, SUPER-POWERFUL enemy necromancers, or overly ridiculous stuff you'd most likely see in a high-leveled Epic style campaign. What works well for me is more sublte starting point, something like Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance) or Eye of the World (book 1, Wheel of Time). The protagonists should start out a bit new or green so that the audience can resonate more with them. I'd love to see them do a Temple of Elemental Evil movie, but we'll have to see what they roll out with.      

I would pre-pay for a Darksun show starring this famous D&D player

vin-diesel as riddick.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

@ Garthanos: I'd watch that

@ Garthanos: I'd watch that

Darksun and Eberron both have a potential for enough grit to be taken seriously... and with a lead actor who is both cool and a player how much better could they do?
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I also would love to have a non-magic antagonist vs a party of adventures because it be interesting to see how they would thwart them.

More then anything though I would prefer something smaller scope then "Win or the entire world ends!".

My blog of Random Stuff 

Wouldn't it be cool if the movie had a meta-thing going on, with players playing the game around a table and the actual in-game events portrayed as well?  I want to see a movie that is about Dungeons & Dragons, not about some Fantasy setting that Dungeons & Dragons tries to make playable.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Wouldn't it be cool if the movie had a meta-thing going on, with players playing the game around a table and the actual in-game events portrayed as well?   

I just dont see that being done well... 

If there's no Warlord I'll refuse to buy tickets.
"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk
If there's no Warlord I'll refuse to buy tickets.

hah, vin diesel is a fighting mans fighter... through and through ... not some king arthur or galadriel type.

Sign In to post comments