5/10/2013 LD: "Splitting Costs"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Dealing 2 damage generally costs one red mana. (...)  deal 4? That card would be pretty powerful. Instead, the 3rd damage usually costs one more mana.

Um...
Dealing 2 damage generally costs one red mana. (...)  deal 4? That card would be pretty powerful. Instead, the 3rd damage usually costs one more mana.

Um...

It's not usual for that card to be in Standard.
Format aside, we can simply state Lightning Bolt is an unusual card. Remarkably so. Thousands of words have been written on this exact subject.
While it may not have always been true in the early days of Magic, we have become good enough at costing cards appropriately now so that it is pretty rare to find a single card in Standard that would see much main-deck play at even one more mana.

This is blindingly obvious now that you say it, but I never really thought of it in those words before. I feel enlightened.
I think the discussion of fractional mana costs is fascinating.  

I suspect that where a lot of the value is to be found in modern day cards, is to find those cards where the cost was rounded down rather than rounded up.  Those cards are cheap for the value they provide - put enough of them in a deck, and you might get something going.

(This is ignoring cards that are undercosted by a whole mana or more, as well as deck synergy, of course - I'm just thinking about the deck that's "all the good cards" for a particular format.) 
While it may not have always been true in the early days of Magic, we have become good enough at costing cards appropriately now so that it is pretty rare to find a single card in Standard that would see much main-deck play at even one more mana.

This is blindingly obvious now that you say it, but I never really thought of it in those words before. I feel enlightened.

But are there not cards that could cost 1 less and still not see that kind of play?

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

But are there not cards that could cost 1 less and still not see that kind of play?

Yes and they are overcosted because of either limited or Wizards not wanting that kind of effect to see much play (this includes things like Scrambleverse)
The fuse cards are all knockout design and development. R&D should be really proud.
The fuse cards are all knockout design and development. R&D should be really proud.

Creative's job was the first part that hit me, given the restrictions necessary on the cards for templating purposes (they have to make sense in left-to-right order in name, _and_ the colors of the split must also follow the WUBRG cycle in left-to-right order). Unless Design just got 'em all right the first time and Creative didn't have to finish any of 'em.
turn and burn sucks, this one is way better.

U/R
Draw/Burn
Sorcery/Sorcery
Draw a card./Deal 2 damage to target creature.

Bob I hate standard. 
I miss the old days.
Sign In to post comments