Human, Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs--Oh my!

Okay, so I've been fiddling around with drafting half-elves and half-orcs (using the newest PDFs) for a 5E campaign I hope to run, and I was just wondering if anyone here could give me a hand. I'm predominantly asking if the stats I've got here are on par withwhat they've got in the playtest. I want to know what's too weak, what's too powerful, and so on. I also dislike the bland, and rather overpowered humans that WotC has consistently given us, so I rewrote them as well.
One more thing: I'm not asking for people to give me ideas on fluff. I know what half-orcs are like in my world, just like I'm sure you guys know what they're like in your worlds. The only explicit fluff I've got in here is the 'Human Ethnic Language' bit. Just ignore that; languages aren't what I'm concerned with here.
Thanks for you suggestions, folks, and without further ado:

HUMAN REWRITE
Ability Score Adjustment: Choose two different ability scores; one is increased by 2, the other is increased by 1.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Adaptability (1/Day): Once per day, you can reroll a single saving throw that you just failed, but at Advantage. You must take the reroll, even if it’s worse, however.
Diversity: You begin play with two additional skill trainings of their choice.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and your Human Ethnic Language, as well a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

HALF-ELF
Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Constitution; and either +1 Dexterity OR Charisma.
Low-Light Vision: You can see in Dim light as well as you can in Bright light.
Skillful: You begin play with one additional skill training of your choice.
Strong-Willed: You gain advantage on any saving throw against charm effects, and effects that would put you to sleep.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, plus Elven or a Human Ethnic Language, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to you Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

HALF-ORC
Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Strength; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Constitution.
Speed: 35 feet.
Darkvision: You treat darkness within 60 feet of you as dim light. When doing so, your vision is in black and white.
Fearsome: You gain advantage on any Charisma check made to intimidate.
Wrathful (1/Day): Once per day, you can treat any one attack, provided it struck the target, as a critical hit.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, plus Orcish or a Human Ethnic Language, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to you Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

Very well done, I'm a fan of your style.

I'll try to be concise:

-Humans are a little strong, but only because high ability scores are at such a premium (as of right now, who knows if we get +1 ability feat bumps).  Leave them at +1 to 2 different ability scores, and a little something else to balance.  2/day adaptability perhaps, but I'd prefer something more creative.  A diplomacy bonus, perhaps.

-Half-Elves don't need a +1 to Con...  As far as I know.  It was like that in 4e, but eh, I don't see it in the fluff.  I'd suggest +1 dex, +1 wis OR cha.  They need a little more in addition to this.  Probably an even better place to put that diplomacy bonus.

-Do Half-Orcs have to have darkvision?  Maybe they do, I don't know.  Also, did you mean to give half-elves 35 feet instead of half-orcs?  That would make more sense to me.  On the whole, they're powerful enough...  And probably not too powerful, but I don't like Wrathful.  Notice something interesting:  Nearly all the racial traits we've seen so far are either based on the exploration or interaction pillar of gameplay, or they're mostly defensive/reactionary in danger nature.  Of course, half-orcs should have an aggressive trait, but I'd like to see something other than sheer damage...  How about a free knock down?

All in all, I'm impressed.  I'd use these.
@Ironblue: Thanks for the critique and the compliments!

Humans: I was wondering about the stat-bumps' power. I was nervous the Adaptability trait might've been too similar to Halflings' Lucky ability. And of course, I'm well aware of how the Ability-bump feat thing can/will throw things off. Not so sure about that Diplomacy bonus...

Half-Elves: I took the 4E Con bonus for half-elves because of the 'hybrid vigor' concept that I found on Wikipedia, and not just from 4E. The Dex option is (IMO) for half-elves who grew up with their elf family, and the Cha option was for those who inherited human gregariousness. I don't think half-elves should be automatically likeable, being "mongrels" after all. But all-in-all, I knew they were the most underpowered of the three.

Half-Orcs: Af far as I know (playing 3E, 4E, and skimming some 1E AD&D), orcs and half-orcs DO have darkvision. The 35ft speed was a holdover from the 4E bonus to charge. Thanks for the heads-up on the exploration/reactionary racial traits, though. The knockdown ability sounds nteresting, though. Anyway, here was a racial trait I was mulling over to replace Wrathful:
Weapon Versatility: Half-orcs using Versatile weapons always use the higher damage value, even when using the weapon in one hand. So, a one-handed spear deals d8 damage, a bastard sword deals d10 damage, and so on.
Saw this thread and choked on my drink- thought the newest packet had dropped early! Given that new races are a likely feature and all.

Any thought given to sub-races? For example, Half-orks descended from cave orks might get darkvision, while their plains-roaming kin might get the charge feat (or extra speed) instead.

Half elves in your description feel under powered- maybe they could get a +1 to any stat, with a +1 to cha or dex depending on sub-race, so as to represent their versatility. Or maybe the choice should be between dex and int, depending on what elf group they are related to?
"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
two things both half orc-related

1.) Fearsome, why charisma checks only? I mean shouldn't half-orcs be naturally good at the breaking tables over your head style of intimidation?

2.) Spells don't count as attacks in the packets, so a half-orc caster can't use his racial power.
Half elves in your description feel under powered- maybe they could get a +1 to any stat, with a +1 to cha or dex depending on sub-race, so as to represent their versatility. Or maybe the choice should be between dex and int, depending on what elf group they are related to?

Ah, there's a good thought.  Half-orcs get +1 str, +1 anything; Half-elves get +1 dex, +1 anything.  Forgive me, I just can't see why they wouldn't be inherently a little more agile than getting a bonus to anything else.  If it was +1 con though, that wouldn't ruin it for me.

Weapon Versatility: Half-orcs using Versatile weapons always use the higher damage value, even when using the weapon in one hand. So, a one-handed spear deals d8 damage, a bastard sword deals d10 damage, and so on.

Bugbear times, eh?  Watch out!  It would be good to kick the tires on a maxed out half-orc dual-wielder before you went ahead and put that feature in.  However, I like the favored weapon kind of racial traits...  For some reason, I'm one of few who likes those.  Racial/cultural...  Eh, doesn't bother me.  Maybe just give 'em proficiency in a few barbaric weapons, and keep Wrathful or a variant thereof.

I find it interesting that, on the whole, your human and half-human races tend to have slightly fewer traits, but slightly more powerful ones, than the completely non-human races.  It's subtle, but works.

If you look at the rogue link in my sig there's a blurb in there about how to handle granting weapon proficiency without wasting it to redundancy.  That should let you give out spear and club proficiency or what-have-you and feel justified it will remain useful.
@Jordan175: My appologies to your beverage. As a rule, I'm not a terribly big fan of subraces, so that's my stance on that. I'm usually okay with High/Wood/Dark Elf varieties, but beyond that...eh. Still, your ideas are duly noted.

@rampant: Duly noted as well; I've made the proper fixes.

@Ironblue: Good point on the optional Ability bumps there. Not too sure I'll go that route, but nonetheless. Also, the reason I have fewer, yet more powerful racial traits is because of my patented secret: I'm REALLY bad at the mechanical aspect of gaming.

Anyway, here are some new half-elf and half-orc stats. I don't believe half-elves should be automatically likeable, but I do kinda think they'd be the type who WANTS to fit-in (half-orcs are more standoffish, IMO). And I can't believe I didn't think of cribbing the full orc's "Relentless" trait until just now!

HALF-ELF
Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Constitution; and either +1 Dexterity OR Charisma.
Strong-Willed: You gain advantage on any saving throw against charm effects, and effects that would put you to sleep.
Teamwork: Whenever you are assisting someone else on a check, you gain Advantage on your roll to help them.

HALF-ORC
Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Strength; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Constitution.
Darkvision: You treat darkness within 60 feet of you as dim light. When doing so, your vision is in black and white.
Fearsome: You gain advantage on any ability check made to intimidate.
Relentless: If an attack reduces you to 0 hit points or fewer but doesn’t kill you outright, you are not knocked unconscious or killed as a result until the end of your next turn, provided you still have 0 hit points or fewer.
I don't think it makes any sense for half-elves to get a Con bonus, because traditionally elves have had a penalty to Con, and humans aren't necessarily exceptional at it, so where's it coming from?
I don't think it makes any sense for half-elves to get a Con bonus, because traditionally elves have had a penalty to Con, and humans aren't necessarily exceptional at it, so where's it coming from?

Human individuals with genetic diversity often results in healthier humans in part because disorders are supressed.

Arguably any multi-race individual might be bonus to Con.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Relentless is cool and evocative, but isn't really an ability anyone ever wants to use... except revnants and they have a better version. What if half-orcs gained THP after they do damage for the first time in an encounter? something a player would actually want to engineer situations where they can use it.

Human individuals with genetic diversity often results in healthier humans in part because disorders are supressed.

Sound reasoning, I withdraw.

Hybrid vigor.  It is a real phenomenon in nature.

Hybriding isnt always quite beneficial... inspite of seeming benefits, Ligers for instance have bonus strength and size but... the loss of speed and need increases results in them being hehind the survivability curve compared to their parentage. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Even if that were true, that would mean that ALL hybrid races should have a constitution bonus as manditory. It is odd, to say the least, that the hybrid between humans and the notoriously frail elf would be healthier than the hybrid between humans and the notoriously tough and hardy orc. Or at least that is how it comes across when the half-elf has constitution as a required attribute boost and it is optional for the half-orc.

One could think of this as comparing breeding a grey wolf with a coyote for a half-elf compared to breeding a grey wolf with a mastiff for the half-orc. A half-breed between a grey wolf and a coyote would be the less tough of the two.

In fact, the real benefits of a hybrid over a specially bred member of a species has to do with a lower chance of genetic defects, more resistance to diseases that are specialized to one of the two parent breeds or closely related species and a generally longer lifespan (although there are no cases of breeding two breeds or closely related species where one of them lives 10x as long as the other, so that last effect probably doesn't mean much).

None of which, by the way, is a function of Constitution within D&D at all. 

Even if that were true, that would mean that ALL hybrid races should have a constitution bonus as manditory.

Insert liger its benefits are Strength and Size but actually needs more food and is slower... but still an example of hybrid vigor... Reality is not consistant in the way we might think.

Well, the Liger is all in all the result of two genetic traits stacking.

Tigers are generally larger than lions. So when you have a female tiger, its base size is larger than the base size of a lion.

However, the lion male gene is such that it causes the males to increase the normal lion size by almost double.

So when you mix a male lion gene with a larger base size, you get something that is larger than both. The larger size causes it to need more food and to generally be slower and stronger as it needs more muscle to hold up its size.

Moreover, a "Liger" is strictly the result of male lion and female tiger. If you mate a female lion and a male tiger, you get an animal who are about the same size as a lion female and aren't otherwise particularly remarkable.

So the remarkable aspect of the Liger has less to do with rules about hybrids in general and more like what would happen if one combined two races that had traits that stacked in a highly abusable manner.

Mules work in about the same way-- you get an increased strength of a horse, but not quite as strong as a horse without losing much of the sure footness of a donkey which combined makes for a more useful animal for certain tasks than either individually.

But none of these examples result in bringing out a trait that is notably lacking in one of the parent species as having a constitution bonus on something born of an elf, a race that had a constitution penalty for 3/4s of the D&D editions.

Again, the result of combining different canine breeds stands as a better example of what to expect.

In fact, they were only given a constitution bonus based on 4E's PHB having too make dexterity races as it was. Of course, the result of this was that Half-Elfs had the same physical and mental attributes as Hobgoblins and were tougher than Dragonborn and Orcs. 

Half-elves, +1 Cha, and +1 int or wis. MOst fictional half elves in the stories I read tend to out think or out talk their pure-bred couins.
I'm kind of leery about those 1/Day abilities. At least since the latest packet, that's not really the way they've been going with the races. They also may, or may not, be completely over- or under-powered; it's really hard to tell with daily abilities.

At the very least, I can say that these would prevent me from being able to play these races. I just really don't like 1/Day abilities.

The metagame is not the game.

I don't favour +2 to a stat for any PC race.  In fact, I could live with humans getting only +1 to a single trait.  Their racial ability is a bit similar to halflings but I'd be tempted to widen its application - spend a hit die of healing but gain no hit points and re-roll with advantage.

However, it could get tricky if some racial abilities are  linked to optional mechanics like skills, feats, or hit dice so alternative mechanics might be needed.
Agreed. I don't think humans should get a +2 bonus to any stat. However, I do think they should get a +1 bonus to two stats, just as other races get a +1 bonus to two stats. I don't see any reason why they should have worse stats.

And yep, it is a bit tricky giving bonuses for things which are treated as optional rules, like skills and feats. I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to give humans a list of optional traits they can choose, with bonus skills, feats, etc being two choices out of several. Here're the human stats I've been coming up with so far, for example.

HUMAN
Traits
As a human, you have the following racial traits, and may choose four additional bonus traits from the list below.

Ability Score Adjustment: Two of your starting ability scores are each increased by 1.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

Bonus Traits:

• Learned: You gain two skills of your choice and may speak, read, and write one additional language.

• Adaptable: You gain an additional feat of your choice. Your character must meet the feat’s prerequisites as normal.

• Luck of Heroes: You gain a +1 bonus to saving throws.

• Fleet of Foot: Your speed increases by 5 feet.

• Giant-Blooded: You must be between 7 feet and 8 feet tall. You may wield weapons with the two-handed property in one hand so long as they don’t also have the ammunition, double, or reach properties, but suffer a -1 penalty to Armor Class due to your large size.

• Horse Lord: You gain advantage when making a Handle an Animal or Ride check.

FYI: "Giant-Blooded" doesn't literally mean the character is descended from giants. I've always thought it'd be a good idea, though, for a human player character to have an option to be exceptionally large, like Goliath or Gregor Clegane.
4 is too many, especially as those are really good.
Well, I went with four because most of the nonhuman races in the packet have 4-6 additional racial bonuses aside from stats, but it doesn't really matter. The number of benefits and what they do could always be adjusted afterwards. The goal, IMO, would be to provide humans a number of racial options from which they can choose to demonstrate just how different humans can be culturally or even physically. Whether it's growing up in a nomadic horse mounted steppe culture, growing up in an aristocracy providing an education above and beyond what your typical peasant would receive, being abnormally large, and so on.
MOst of the non-human races have sucky features. Yours are better, if only because you're offered a choice.

Frankly I think this would be the ideal way to build the races. Give them a list of options to choose from, so i can have my accurate wildstepping swift elf, and other people can have their tolkeinesque elves.

Admittedly this kills your human schtick but I never bought humans as the versatile race, Based on the profiles between the 4 classic fantasy races (elves, orcs, dwarves, and halflings) I've always seen us as the 'presses the big red button' race.
MOst of the non-human races have sucky features. Yours are better, if only because you're offered a choice.

Frankly I think this would be the ideal way to build the races. Give them a list of options to choose from, so i can have my accurate wildstepping swift elf, and other people can have their tolkeinesque elves.

Admittedly this kills your human schtick but I never bought humans as the versatile race, Based on the profiles between the 4 classic fantasy races (elves, orcs, dwarves, and halflings) I've always seen us as the 'presses the big red button' race.

Actually, humans DO have advantages over the other races in most settings and it really doesn't have much to do with being super adaptable.

Humans are the most average race, though they haven't any strengths, they have no serious penalties either. That means humans can learn every class roughly equally. However, that has a LOT more meaning if we were playing a game where people were fielding parties or armies that all had to be the same race... since D&D is focused on individual heroes in mixed race groups, it really doesn't amount to much.

Humans are the most common race next to things that breed fast and live short like kobolds and goblins-- and they good at adapting to a much wider variation in environments than other races (yes, orcs and goblins are better at living in extreme environments, but struggle immensely to live in polite, regulated societies and while there seems to be elves super adapted for every environment, each super adapted elf tribe doesn't do so well in one another's environments.) But this sort of adaptability does not lend itself to extra skills and combat abilities as 3rd and 4th tried to do. Rather it is a resistance to culture shock or climate shock. However... there really aren't any rules in D&D that would regard the negative impact specialized races would feel for being outside their environment. So it is difficult to give bonuses that would convey this ability.

Although races can generally be labeled as "good guys" or "bad guys", such as dwarfs and elfs are univerally "good guys" except for a single subspecies and even that subspecies give rise to so many good guys as to lack credibility as villains now... a few are evil, but over 90% are good. The same is true of Orcs and Goblins, but in reverse (90% are evil.)

Humans are the only race that sports relatively equal numbers of good guys AND bad guys and are pretty much open and free to making friends with members of any race. Even more over, humans are not only not universally enemies of just about any common race, they don't universally hold grudges or have rivalries with other races. Elves and Dwarfs may both be good, but they are so arrogant, pigheaded, and selfish as societies that they are almost incapable of cooperating.

The result of this is that it is humans who serve as the glue to brig other races together. Human cities are the places where all the races can come together in relative peace and harmony, exchange the best of all their cultures and profit immensely from the trade. Humans are at the center of races ally together to take on the large threats or problems that are simply too large to be taken on by any other race alone.

However... what sort of bonuses would one give to humans in general that would represent this sort of thing? A bonus to charisma? A bonus to diplomacy? Again, there aren't many rules that involve racial rivalries and hatreds and when those rules have appeared in previous editions, they have been primarily beneficial to the races that have them.

Again, if one was doing a wargame where people controlled single-race armies or squads, it would mean that humans parties could hire any sort of mercenary and ally with any other race, but it doesn't really amount to much in a game set up the way D&D is.

Humans with a daily, as if there weren't enough dailies everywhere !
Humans have always been a race without conditional bonuses, often the only one available.

We know many humans and I don't know how to justify this human burst of survivability. Many animals have better reflex and vitality and won't have this feature.
Naming it adaptability has to be justified. Short or long term adaptability wouldn't translate into a once per day reaction. It would only make sense with a limited ressource like a toxin. There is the same problem with the orc 1/day racial feature.
Diversity is also a problem, as humans tend to favor specialization in a stable environment. This is not a trait characterizing humans.

The strong-willed racial feature of the half-elf makes that there's no weak willed half-elf.

I think we should play more with short rest recuperations when an ability is limited by fatigue. Dailies can be coherent with internal recuperation like venom or breath weapons, as long as they are llimited to 1/day.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

For those who complained: I too don't like racial Dailies all that much, but I honestly couldn't think of anything else. As I said, I'm pretty bad at mechanics aspect. 
@GreenKnight: The 'make your own human ethnicity' package you delivered was cool, but I agree with rampant that many seem a bit overpowered, and that choosing 4 seems like too many. Still, much appreciated, thanks.
Okay, here's another rewrite. I agree that some of the racial traits needed to be renamed, so I took care of that. Also, I put specific questions/comments/rationalizations in red text. Finally, since I started this thread with a beaten-to-death Wizard of Oz joke, I've decided to include 'munchkins', for your consideration.
Again, thanks a lot everybody!

HUMAN
Ability Score Adjustment: +1 to two different ability scores of your choice. I agree with everyone that +2 is too high.
Hidden Reserve (2/Day): Twice per day, you can reroll a single saving throw that you just failed, but at Advantage. However, you must take the reroll, even if it’s worse.
Well-Trained: You begin play with two additional skill trainings of your choice.

GNOME
Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Intelligence; and either +1 Constitution OR +1 Charisma. I was initially thinking of making Con the static ability bump.
Size: Small.
Speed: 25 feet.
Insurgency: You gain advantage on all checks made to Sneak and Spot. This ability should be renamed, I know.
Minor Illusion: You know the minor illusion cantrip, and can cast it at will. Intelligence is your Magical Ability.
Slippery: You gain +2 AC against opportunity attacks. Is this ability overpowered?

HALF-ELF
Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Constitution; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Charisma. These are the ability bumps, and I'm sticking to them. Please, no more bickering about the legitimacy of 'hybrid vigor'. I have a History degree, not a Biology degree. I'm sorry I brought the term up.
Teamwork: Whenever you assist someone else on a check, you gain Advantage on your roll to help them. I'd like more feedback on this ability; do they even have rules for assisting others in the Playtest?

HALF-ORC
Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Strength; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Constitution. The Dex bonus is for those half-orcs who favor humans' nimbleness, when compared to the bulky full-orcs.
Fearsome: You gain advantage on any ability check made to intimidate.
Relentless: If an attack reduces you to 0 hit points or fewer but doesn’t kill you outright, you are not knocked unconscious or killed as a result until the end of your next turn, provided you still have 0 hit points or fewer.

when you say re-roll with advantage but take re-roll if it's worse result you mean the result of the roll with advantage right? so if you roll an 11, then use the ability and get a 10 and a 9, you take the 10 correct?

@rampant: Your example nailed it on the head. Thanks for bringing it up, because I wasn't sure how clear my wording of it was.
I think that when you remove racial penalties it becomes harder to make the benefits from the two racial stats distinctive. 

They do seem quite fond of daily racials, although I'd be just as happy with 'encounter' powers.  I think that giving a choice of powers would be cool but they might end up implementing racial feats that will cover this ground. 

They could go in so many directions, I just hope that one of them involve backgrounds that improve with level or themes.
I like this version of the half elf, 

HALF-ELF

Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Constitution; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Charisma. These are the ability bumps, and I'm sticking to them. Please, no more bickering about the legitimacy of 'hybrid vigor'. I have a History degree, not a Biology degree. I'm sorry I brought the term up.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: You can see in Dim light as well as you can in Bright light.
Skillful: You begin play with one additional skill training of your choice.
Strong-Willed: You gain advantage on any saving throw against charm effects, and effects that would put you to sleep.
Teamwork: Whenever you assist someone else on a check, you gain Advantage on your roll to help them. I'd like more feedback on this ability; do they even have rules for assisting others in the Playtest?

but i think it still lacks a little bit of oomph. It needs a little more features if people should considering playing half-elf and not just "full blooded" elf. 

Half-elfs has always been good at diplomacy, maybe give him an "advantage on persuade" and make him more vertisaile on multiclassing(when there is rules for it), for time being i would go with one extra feat. Yes that is very boring! but the only thing in the current playtest that comes any close to resemble multiclassing. 

EDIT: spelling check! :P
Hey guys! Here's the half-orc I've been working on. What do y'all think?

Half Orc

Ability: +1 Dex

Medium Size

30 feet speed

Lowlight vision to 30 feet

Languages: Common, Giant, as many as int. mod is positive.

Advantage on strength rolls to “Break an Object” Skill.

Improvised weapons are treated as a club if one handed and a great club if two-handed.

Strong Blood:

+1 strength

Choose to use Strength instead of Charisma for Intimidate checks.

Plus 5 feet speed.

Outcast

+1 Constitution

+1 initiative and reroll natural 1s on initiative.

One thing I've never been clear on:

Why is the other half always Human?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
One thing I've never been clear on:

Why is the other half always Human?

Within the setting, Elves rarely interact with the other races, and the only plausible race for the other half would be Human.

The metagame is not the game.

HALF-ELF

Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Constitution; and either +1 Dexterity OR +1 Charisma. These are the ability bumps, and I'm sticking to them. Please, no more bickering about the legitimacy of 'hybrid vigor'. I have a History degree, not a Biology degree. I'm sorry I brought the term up.
Teamwork: Whenever you assist someone else on a check, you gain Advantage on your roll to help them. I'd like more feedback on this ability; do they even have rules for assisting others in the Playtest?

Let's see... high constitution, dexterity and charisma.
Medium sized, low light vision, moves about the same pace as everyone else...
Stubbornly strong willed and excels at team work...

So apparently your premise is that if you breed an elf and a human, you get a hobgoblin? Because you've done a fairly good job of describing one here. Granted, it would be interesting twist on a campaign world where there is some sort of ban on elf-human breeding and no one knows the secret as to why... but I don't know that such a premise works in most campaign worlds. 

@JoonTehUnagi: I refrain from the bonus feat idea because of how powerful feats generally seem to be in 5E. And you're right of course that we'll have to wait for multiclass rules to come out before we take that into consideration. Like you say, "oomph" is definitely needed, but I don't know how to do it. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Still, thanks for liking my write-up!

@Mand12: I totally see where you're coming from, but I think a lot of it comes from just making a human+X crossbreed distinct enough to even bother worrying about non-human crossbreeds. I think I remember hearing about a tabletop RPG on kickstarter a while ago that used a "build your own hybrid" idea during character generation--so you could literally play and orc/dwarf or an elf/human/dwarf/orc crossbreed. I forget the name at the moment...

@Hebitsuikaza: Comparing my half-elves to hobgoblins is something I'll take as a compliment! I'm rather fond of hobgoblins, and want to use them as a playable race, so I see even moreso your point in needing to make them distinct from each other. One thing I'm worried people are missing, though, is the fact that the Strong-Willed ability is just a watered down version of the full-elves' total immunity to chamr and sleep effects. I admit, I could've chosen a better name; suggestions welcome.
Sign In to post comments