Humanoid Slivers have a terrifying story implication

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
Think about it. Slivers are far scarier than phyrexians.

And have a terrible mechanic, but ill probably play the deck anyway.
The future is obvious.

Phyrexian Slivers vs Eldrazi 
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Then slivers adapt the ability to travel through the blind eternites and its all over.
Omg, someone forgot to lock the magic designers in a basement and never show them AVP: Alien vs. Predator.

What have we done!
Do it! Slivers vs. Phyrexians culimnating in Phyrexian Sliver Queen that planeswalks and fights Eldrazi! BAM!
Eeeeeeeeeh, I think the Slivers are just the gimpiest strain of Phyrexians. As in, they represent the worst things about new Magic players in that they're less fascinated with dissecting and more interested in playing with themselves. They're just a crapshoot of the genetic process and a mockery of intelligent life- but not an outright lampoon like Phyrexians. They're like the phyrexian fart or sex-organ joke.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Eh.
I'm really interested in hearing the story behind this new wave of slivers and why they suddenly look so different. I mean, we've become used to races taking different appearances between different planes (Compare the elves of Lorwyn and Dominaria or the viashino of Ravnica and Alara), but this is rather more dramatic.  
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Think about it. Slivers are far scarier than phyrexians. And have a terrible mechanic, but ill probably play the deck anyway.

They no longer have that "terrible" mechanic. They took all downside off of them. And partial upside, as you cannot use these Slivers positively in Emperor or 2HG to work with your allies' decks. You will notice, for example, that they all include the phrase "you control" on them. They are NOT Slivers, and their appearance only affirms this.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
They're not terible because of the downside. In fact the downside made it palatable. Now its just boring and stupid and terrible. I don't like "play everything you can every turn" decks.
Good god... 

They're evolving into Predators!

Not sure if gusta.
Since none. Of the new slivers released allow me to play my rath cycle slivers, I am completely uninterested by this development.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Super Phyrexian Sliver Overlord :
creature-sliver eldrazi

trample, haste, first strike, protection from colors, annihilator 5

Other slivers you control gain anhialator 2

10/10 
I'm really interested in hearing the story behind this new wave of slivers and why they suddenly look so different. I mean, we've become used to races taking different appearances between different planes (Compare the elves of Lorwyn and Dominaria or the viashino of Ravnica and Alara), but this is rather more dramatic.  

I wouldn't say "suddenly" look different.  In game terms, it's been 7 years since they have last appeared, and in story terms who knows how long it has been.  

Considering that the hivemind was left without leadership, and apparent hints at the hivemind itself becoming sentient, there are some interesting implication.  Slivers have always been known to have the ability to natural mimic the abilities of other species.  If the hivemind were to become sentient, it is not off-kilter to assume that it started mutating the shapes of slivers themselves to mimic other sentient races for various means.  Looking at Steelform Slivers flavor text sheds some possible light as to why they take this form:  To confuse enemies into thinking of them as something "human".  Given that there are hints that the hivemind itself is sentient, this makes perfect sense.  There are many instances in the natural world where one species mimics another, and where humans do the same to other groups of humans.  The slivers may have made the concsious decision that a more humanoid form presents a marked advantage over other humanoids.

At least that's my guess. 
The rare slivers should have the "all slivers" mechanics. I understand keeping things simpler for common and uncommon limited play. But to completely change the tribe is off putting.

I was a little excited until I realized these are even more boring than before. 

3DH4LIF3

You guys make it seem like there's only one strain of sliver in the multiverse. We've seen widely different versions of goblins, elves, giants, vadalkens, merfolk, hell and even camels. These sliver may have come from a different plane.
The rare slivers should have the "all slivers" mechanics. I understand keeping things simpler for common and uncommon limited play. But to completely change the tribe is off putting.

Even for a core set, these are remarkably basic.  More like Starter 2013.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
You guys make it seem like there's only one strain of sliver in the multiverse. We've seen widely different versions of goblins, elves, giants, vadalkens, merfolk, hell and even camels. These sliver may have come from a different plane.

Slivers from different planes still look like Slivers. Time Spiral affirmed this.

As an added bonus, it should be noted that for the most part, Goblins and Elves from other planes all still look like Goblins and Elves. Slight variations, such as horns or antlers with hooves in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor Elves, still do not detract from them being identifiable as Elves: Lanky, thin, narrow of face and long and pointy of ear. Goblins seems to be more melting-pot-esque, and highly genetically manipulable, but they are always small (save the Mogg), red, brutish, and inclined to machinery. They all have angular faces, long ears, and pointy noses (the Goblins of Jund are an exception, in that the nose is flush to the face, and vaguely rat-like), but if you drew a rude, wild looking small impish creature with vaguely rat-like features, you can probably get someone to call it a Goblin.

This "if it looks like a Duck" argument doesn't work for these "Slivers." They are legged, armed, handed, faced, tail-less, Predator-haired. They are humanoid.

Soon, Wizards will remove all non-humans from the game, to replace tribes with humanfolk versions. Just wait, next time you see Cephalids, they'll have legs.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Slivers from different planes still look like Slivers. Time Spiral affirmed this.

How exactly?  All the slivers we've seen so far have been from the same colony.   Yes, they moved from Rath, but we've never seen a distinct population.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
They're not terible because of the downside. In fact the downside made it palatable. Now its just boring and stupid and terrible.

This forever.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA

I saw that slivers might be returning and was curious. I saw the actual slivers and I am displeased, with both the look and the mechanics.

L1 Judge

How exactly?  All the slivers we've seen so far have been from the same colony.   Yes, they moved from Rath, but we've never seen a distinct population.

The implication of the abilities indicates they derive from different planes, at least the ones in Time Spiral. Remember, as of the events of Time Spiral, there was no Rath: the overlay which occurred during the events of Invasion Block merged Dominaria and Rath; they are one plane, now.

Like much of what came out of Future Sight, the implication is that many forms are from planes foreign and unusual. Frenzy Sliver is different: "The Arturan conjurers took the strange, alien fossil and patterned their own twisted creations in its image."

The abilities of many of these Slivers do not appear amongst creatures of any form of Dominaria; these Arturan conjurers are unlikely to be Dominarian.

But the remaining Slivers on Dominaria are of at least two separate Hives, not one single colony. Shadow Sliver informs us that there are lineages amongst them, even if they compare well to one another: "These slivers, trapped betweeen worlds since the Rathi overlay, are among the last to claim direct lineage from the lost Sliver Queen."

In the [terrible] novels, we saw only one colony, the one in Skyshroud, but other Slivers are seen on the world, encountered by the Benalish, the Amrou, and so forth. These Slivers still exist ... on Dominaria, without a hivestone, without a Queen or Overlord. The Sliver Legion itself isn't even ONE creature, it is a card that represents them all, for they are legion.

The argument I am trying to make is that, even with a singular mind to control them, Slivers are genetically or psychically linked to one another; any proximity one has to another, and they share. What, and how, are really kind of irrelevant.

Tempting to beleive, but mixing "slivers you control" and "all slivers" effects in the same set would be more confusing than using either one. I hope you're right but...

I wouldn't say "suddenly" look different.  In game terms, it's been 7 years since they have last appeared, and in story terms who knows how long it has been.  

Considering that the hivemind was left without leadership, and apparent hints at the hivemind itself becoming sentient, there are some interesting implication.  Slivers have always been known to have the ability to natural mimic the abilities of other species.  If the hivemind were to become sentient, it is not off-kilter to assume that it started mutating the shapes of slivers themselves to mimic other sentient races for various means.  Looking at Steelform Slivers flavor text sheds some possible light as to why they take this form:  To confuse enemies into thinking of them as something "human".  Given that there are hints that the hivemind itself is sentient, this makes perfect sense.  There are many instances in the natural world where one species mimics another, and where humans do the same to other groups of humans.  The slivers may have made the concsious decision that a more humanoid form presents a marked advantage over other humanoids.

At least that's my guess. 

Sound pretty awesome to me.
I personally love the new Slivers and I think that those crying for the old ones are being just a bit too uppity. Things change. The Slivers are evolving in different ways than in the past. The mechanics and art can fit in story better and brings Slivers to the New World Order.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
I personally love the new Slivers and I think that those crying for the old ones are being just a bit too uppity. Things change. The Slivers are evolving in different ways than in the past. The mechanics and art can fit in story better and brings Slivers to the New World Order.

Change for the sake of change isn't a very good reason to do something.  I can understand the ability change from all slivers to slivers you control.  It forms an all upside mechanic since it can keep your opponents' slivers from gaining abilities (though that can also be a detriment as you won't have access to the abilities your opponents' slivers.  This leads to a situation where each player hopes to get the most diversity as quick as possible and then wins).

However, slivers have had three sets where they had similar identifying characteristics and this set throws them all out the window.  Wizards had better have a decent reason because "we changed their look because we can or because we wanted to 'humanize' their look" is not a good reason.  Putting merfolk on Ravnica makes more sense than that.  That is "change for the sake of change" not "change to improve".

I-rock's explanation of the slivers changing to a humanoid form in order to mimic the species around them does have it's merits and is plausible.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Fan community gets bent out of shape over change. This and other status quo stories plus the weather at 11.
Fan community gets bent out of shape over change. This and other status quo stories plus the weather at 11.

Why is a complete and total reimagining needed?

One could also ask, "Who cares?"  There's no reason to get bent out of shape about it, things change and people always have bad things to say about new cards.  Infinite loop    
Why do you think you have enough information to claim that from 5 cards?
I just found out today that the Slivers are returning, and I am pretty excited.  I've always been a fan of the Slivers; the look, the mechanics and the idea behind them.  The whole hive-mind, evolve to suit your needs.  It's all fantastic. 

The new art and story background is great.  I love how they have evolved to look more humanoid.  If they are connected to Phyrexia, I'll love them even more.  As far as the mechanical changes, I like them.  They have taken one of the more degenerate tribes and made them all upside!  Whats not to love?  I only hope we get an updated version of Gemhide Sliver so that I can be really degenerate.
Why do you think you have enough information to claim that from 5 cards?

Because slivers share literally EVERYTHING.  Look at all the slivers made in the past.  They may have minor changes based on their roll but they are generally the same structure.  These five cards are enough to show what the vision of slivers is because all slivers are built along the same lines as their fellows in the block.

As for being bent out of shape, I am not bent out of shape.  Say rather that I am disappointed that Wizards has taken my most favorite tribe that they have built on three times in the same way and went off on a complete tangent. 

"slivers have" ==> "slivers you control have" = complete and total reimagining?

the only alternative to change is no change.  if you'd like to say they should have changed them in a different direction this time for whatever reason, i'd be interested to hear such a perspective.  but to say that everything should always be exactly the way it was before is...i dunno, pathetic?  nonsensical? 

the only alternative to change is no change.  if you'd like to say they should have changed them in a different direction this time for whatever reason, i'd be interested to hear such a perspective.  but to say that everything should always be exactly the way it was before is...i dunno, pathetic?  nonsensical? 

They could have changed the ability and maintained their normal appearence or they could have changed their appearence and maintained their ability.  They did both at the same time, that basically makes them a reimagining.  The only thing that remains the same is that they help slivers.  They could also have changed their ability and made some changes to their appearence (such as have some form of the Predator head while maintaining their "insectoid" appearence or changing their sickle claw into a clawed arm but maintaining the remaining body structure).

Change isn't binary.  Change can occurr gradually.  I would be a lot more accepting of their present form and abilities if we had interrem slivers showing these changes from "insectoid" to "humanoid". 

They could have changed the ability and maintained their normal appearence or they could have changed their appearence and maintained their ability.  They did both at the same time, that basically makes them a reimagining.  The only thing that remains the same is that they help slivers.  They could also have changed their ability and made some changes to their appearence (such as have some form of the Predator head while maintaining their "insectoid" appearence or changing their sickle claw into a clawed arm but maintaining the remaining body structure).

Change isn't binary.  Change can occurr gradually.  I would be a lot more accepting of their present form and abilities if we had interrem slivers showing these changes from "insectoid" to "humanoid". 

You make some valid points about gradual changes, but the fact remains it's been over a thousand years since anyone has seen them (story wise).  Considering how fast the Slivers were able to adapt in the past, it doesn't seem unlikely that the changes occured in that timeframe.  Also they seem to come froma  different plane; they may not be connected to the Rath Slivers at all, or left before the events in Rath.  Then again as much as I've always loved Slivers I'm a fan of the new artwork and mechanics so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I have played Magic for a long time. I remember using Acidic Sliver once when I got started as literally the only sliver in my deck. I have developed a love/hate relationship with them. I hated them when they where released in Onslaught, but loved them in Time Spiral, hate them in every casual format including EDH and chaos.

Still they seemed plausible, constantly evolving creatures that share no loyalties except to the Hivemind. Once I played against a two headed giant that were both Slivers, and well it was nasty, really nasty, but then someone was running a clone deck, and well, you can know where this is going.

Now I honestly don't understand why the reimagining, Slivers were probably Magic's most iconic original race (suck it Kavu's). What benefit would there be to change this? Is it to get the hipster crowd? I honestly don't understand this train of thought. (Yes I read the article, make them more human like, which changes everything Slivers were).

Secondly why the hate for asymmetrical effects? I am wondering how long until we get a Wrath of God that effects only your opponents, because the original "had a drawback". It literally ruins there entire flavor, and just shows how the game is declining in quality. Combine all this with the Emmara incident, and the fact Dummermuth got fired, and I'm wondering if it is finally time to put away my cards, and pack away my binders. Clearly this game isn't for the flavor loving gamer anymore....

You make some valid points about gradual changes, but the fact remains it's been over a thousand years since anyone has seen them (story wise).  Considering how fast the Slivers were able to adapt in the past, it doesn't seem unlikely that the changes occured in that timeframe.  Also they seem to come froma  different plane; they may not be connected to the Rath Slivers at all, or left before the events in Rath.  Then again as much as I've always loved Slivers I'm a fan of the new artwork and mechanics so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I love slivers too, but that is why I am not a fan of the changes.  The general form of the slivers changed little in between Rath and the events of Time Spiral and I don't think that the events took place within a few years of each other but rather many years apart.  There were even Slivers from the future and one that isn't even from Dominaria and yet look very similar.
I probably would have preferred a middle step, showing that the slivers are becoming more humanoid.  I think that the Blurr Sliver and the Striking Sliver are good examples of that, since they still show sliver features, but the Battle Sliver and the Groundshaker Sliver are too far removed from actually looking like slivers.

The creation of the one sided slivers could indicate factions of slivers arising as they try to form their own hives, but that's not what made slivers slivers.  I give that a "meh" until I hear a better story flavor for it.
Core sets don't have a story but they have setting. Each card in them is happeneing somewhere. One of these slivers shows that these come from shandalar, which I suspect might be the sliver's home plane, as these have had longer to evolve.
I probably would have preferred a middle step, showing that the slivers are becoming more humanoid.  I think that the Blurr Sliver and the Striking Sliver are good examples of that, since they still show sliver features, but the Battle Sliver and the Groundshaker Sliver are too far removed from actually looking like slivers.

The creation of the one sided slivers could indicate factions of slivers arising as they try to form their own hives, but that's not what made slivers slivers.  I give that a "meh" until I hear a better story flavor for it.

I love the idea of factions; maybe with a Legend in each colour?  Similar to the Praetors?  

Secondly why the hate for asymmetrical effects? I am wondering how long until we get a Wrath of God that effects only your opponents, because the original "had a drawback".

Plague Wind was in Prophecy, so about 13 years ago.